Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,501,335 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
read something somewhere that 80% of the people who have died from Chinavirus were classified as obese....that stat alone should tell people that instead of taking the vaccine they might want to take more vegetables and eat better.

Still hard to believe we are doing all this for a virus that is 99% survivable.
chimpanzee
AustinCountyAg said:

read something somewhere that 80% of the people who have died from Chinavirus were classified as obese....that stat alone should tell people that instead of taking the vaccine they might want to take more vegetables and eat better.

Still hard to believe we are doing all this for a virus that is 99% survivable.

I read it was hospitalizations. Something like 35% or adults in the US are obes, another 10% are merely overweight. If you're wondering how on earth we fared so poorly, there you go...
Diggity
AG
I assumed much more than 10% are overweight if 35% are considered obese.

quick google search shows it's roughly 35% for each.
chimpanzee
Diggity said:

I meant that 45% are at least "overweight" whatever that means, with 35% being all the way to technically obese.
Unemployed
AG
chimpanzee said:

Diggity said:

I meant that 45% are at least "overweight" whatever that means, with 35% being all the way to technically obese.
Last I check, BMI >= 25% and < 30% is overweight.

BMI >= 30% is obese.

Doesn't account for bone density and muscle mass.
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
BMI is a pretty good baseline for the vast majority of people
Post removed:
by user
Irish 2.0
htxag09 said:

BMI is a pretty good baseline for the vast majority of people

I'm ~13.5% body fat and overweight according to BMI. The BMI is an antiquated tool in this day and age with our advanced understanding of nutrition
XpressAg09
AG
Nitro Power said:

Man...just think how low it would be if we were forced to wear a mask
If you're not wearing a mask on the Peloton, you're a murderer.
Post removed:
by user
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
CDUB98 said:

Just got my first jab.

I'll let y'all know if I grow an extra horn or start up my own 5G.
Got mine last week. My iPhone texts immediately started sending as green bubbles since I'm now a Microsoft product.
Charlie Murphy
SoupNazi2001 said:

htxag09 said:

Posts from infection_ag11 on the covid board:

Quote:

Finally, the long terms complication rates from COVID19 are remarkably high for a viral respiratory pathogen. This is true even among young healthy people, where up to 15% of this population is still reporting symptoms or adverse effects months after resolution of infection. The MORBIDITY of the virus is where it dramatically differs from influenza in healthy people (as opposed to the MORTALITY).

Survival isn't the only metric

Quote:

Most people who get polio survive, but potentially living out your days in a wheelchair isn't preferable to a vaccine for most people. I've got previously healthy 30-40 year olds still on home oxygen months after their initial infection. LOTS of relatively young post covid clinic patients who still can't return to any form of exercise or physically demanding hobby months after their infection. A good number of post-COVID pulmonary emboli and DVTs. Every day I see at least 1-2 patients with severe long term complications of covid that have landed them back in the hospital.

Long haulers are the new Covid boogeyman. Always some irrational fear that is blown out of proportion and hard to prove.

Yup, imagine the look a researcher would get if he told his colleagues he found little evidence of long term effects. That's bad for business.
Bondag
AG
I just got a text from Methodist that I can schedule a vaccine because I am a fatty
Bassmaster
AG
Do the numbers bear that out? Honest question. If not, then yes, it is overstating the risk.
T Durden
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

htxag09 said:

Posts from infection_ag11 on the covid board:

Quote:

Finally, the long terms complication rates from COVID19 are remarkably high for a viral respiratory pathogen. This is true even among young healthy people, where up to 15% of this population is still reporting symptoms or adverse effects months after resolution of infection. The MORBIDITY of the virus is where it dramatically differs from influenza in healthy people (as opposed to the MORTALITY).

Survival isn't the only metric

Quote:

Most people who get polio survive, but potentially living out your days in a wheelchair isn't preferable to a vaccine for most people. I've got previously healthy 30-40 year olds still on home oxygen months after their initial infection. LOTS of relatively young post covid clinic patients who still can't return to any form of exercise or physically demanding hobby months after their infection. A good number of post-COVID pulmonary emboli and DVTs. Every day I see at least 1-2 patients with severe long term complications of covid that have landed them back in the hospital.

Long haulers are the new Covid boogeyman. Always some irrational fear that is blown out of proportion and hard to prove.

Do you even "variants" bro?
Post removed:
by user
chimpanzee
Bondag said:

I just got a text from Methodist that I can schedule a vaccine because I am a fatty

Every adult is eligible now, I think they were just insulting you.
FHKChE07
AG
So I have gotten both shots of Pfizer, both times I have gotten violently ill. I'm currently laying here after puking my guts out for most of the afternoon. It comes out of nowhere and hits me like food poisoning. If it comes to be where this is going to be an annual thing, I will definitely think long and hard about getting anymore. And I am definitely not anti-vax. Having lived overseas I have gotten every vaccine available and gotten them multiple times. I think I have had 6 tetanus shots since 2007 between travelling and having a couple of NICU babies. Just adding this as anecdotal evidence that not everyone only has side effects of being tired.
Diggity
AG
have you have Covid previously?
FHKChE07
AG
I never tested positive and never had any suspicion of it. My wife is a nurse and has surveillance testing and never tested positive. My kids have had to be tested multiple times for school and have never tested positive. I have been tested a few times prior to procedures and always tested negative. So I would feel fairly confident in saying no.
Diggity
AG
very strange. you pregnant?
FHKChE07
AG
I hope not. Noone in my house has the parts.
WES2006AG
AG
I had a similar experience after my first shot of the Moderna. Did have COVID prior to that though.
TXTransplant
I believe my coworker had that same symptom, at least after the first shot. My son was nauseous after his but never got sick.

But yeah, that's got to be the worst side effect, and I would think long and hard about getting the vaccine on a recurring basis if it put me prostrate next to the toilet.
FHKChE07
AG
The crazy thing is that with the way the virus passport is being suggested, does that mean I cant go to restaurants, sporting events, or hell even bars anymore if I don't want to get sick?

The UK is talking about pubs being required to screen for vaccines.

I understand some of this isn't likely to happen but the people saying just get the vaccine or you can't leave your house anymore don't seem to be accounting for this.
Flashdiaz
AG
I can make a fake vac pass document for you for 350
FHKChE07
AG
The card I am not worried about. I'm worried if they make it some kind of phone app or something. I have enough friends in low places to get me a stupid cdc card.
Fitch
AG
Given the number of lock downs Europe has gone under, and the corporeal stringency Asian countries have practiced, I just see the digital passport or state-issued stamp version as an inevitability.

I didn't give a second thought to Hep A/B, tetanus, or typhoid shots for traveling ~10 or 15 years ago. Same thing here.
Keegan99
AG
International? Fine. Countries can police their borders.

Domestically? GTFO.
cone
AG
norovirus is back in a big way since the pandemic is becoming endemic

just sayin'
jetch17
AG
cone said:

norovirus is back in a big way since the pandemic is becoming endemic

just sayin'
52 MORE WEEKS!
cone
AG
it's actually good that norovirus is back

it's effectively competing against the itis again
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-cdc-study-finds-roughly-78percent-of-people-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

KEY POINTS
  • About 78% of people who have been hospitalized, needed a ventilator or died from Covid-19 have been overweight or obese, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a new study Monday.
  • Just over 42% of the U.S. population was considered obese in 2018, according to the agency's most recent statistics. Overweight is defined as having a body mass index of 25 or more, while obesity is defined as having a BMI of 30 or more.
  • "As clinicians develop care plans for COVID-19 patients, they should consider the risk for severe outcomes in patients with higher BMIs, especially for those with severe obesity," the CDC wrote.

While I'm not a big fan of taxes, it's really time to add a Fat Tax. Fast food, candy, soft drinks and alcohol and other highly sugary foods. 15% tax (because most of it is cheap) and reduce subsidizes to the sugar industry.

Before I get flamed, I'm fat. I've already dropped 35lbs via a proper diet and counting calories/portion control. I also used to be very fit/lifter and I carry a lot of muscle so my BMI will never be 'right' and I also understand the BMI calculators are highly flawed. However, it's very easy to not pay an additional tax by simply not purchasing the foods that are leading to a large health crisis even before COVID. Taxes would stay local and go to hospital systems and/or business that move into underserved areas (assuming they're not rioted and burned down). And to make sure the taxes aren't pilferred, no more than 5% of it can be spent on administration of sending those funds back out.
aTm '99
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 380 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.