Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,279 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
c'mon man. Don't you know that everybody is beautiful and we need to embrace the fatties.
AlaskanAg99
AG
third coast.. said:

Like I said before, if any of these people actually cared about the health of Americans, they would be making exercise or proper diet mandatory for everyone with a calorie or fitness tracking app, instead of mandating people stay home or wear masks. Obesity kills far more Americans than covid ever will, and it is a continuing problem.
I agree. I had 2 back surgeries in 2019 and my rehab was stunted by COVID and I got into a very bad set of habits (or they just got worse from '18 and '19 when my back was giving me all sorts of issues).

The crazy part is, I'm losing the weight with zero exercise (back is still jacked up). I homebrew, I love bourbon, I love smoked foods, but I'm the only one responsible for what I shove in my facehole. I still have a long way to go, but it can be done with the right tools (free aps) and self discipline.

I'm all on a sugary food tax plan. In the world of wants and needs, you don't need excess sugar.

aTm '99
kapon
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

third coast.. said:

Like I said before, if any of these people actually cared about the health of Americans, they would be making exercise or proper diet mandatory for everyone with a calorie or fitness tracking app, instead of mandating people stay home or wear masks. Obesity kills far more Americans than covid ever will, and it is a continuing problem.

I'm all on a sugary food tax plan. In the world of wants and needs, you don't need excess sugar.

Wow!
I cannot get on board with a tax on something that "someone" says is for my own good.
What's next? You watch too much TV. We will tax you if you stream > X amount per week.
You homebrew? If you brew too much we will tax you.
Where would it end?
chimpanzee
Keegan99 said:

International? Fine. Countries can police their borders.

Domestically? GTFO.

Having a card for legal entry into a country is one thing.

Having digital papers that can be accessed real time by the worst politician/bureaucrat you can think of is quite another.

People are scared, they want .gov to keep them safe, and they'll trade whatever because people will give up anything in the future to satiate an immediate need/want; it's a common failure of human nature.

Take care of yourself and behave responsibly toward the people around you. If others are behaving in ways that make you uncomfortable, you need to 1) convince them of he merits of your position (if you lie, you're done here), 2) move to a more like minded community that shares your values just like every free man has ever done, or 3) realize that you might be the one that's wrong.

The public thinks that you have a 50/50 shot of being hospitalized if you catch C19, and every thing that is being sold to the public is being done with that risk perception in mind.
AlaskanAg99
AG
kapon said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

third coast.. said:

Wow!
I cannot get on board with a tax on something that "someone" says is for my own good.
What's next? You watch too much TV. We will tax you if you stream > X amount per week.
Where would it end?
At the population level, there is a massive cost to all for people making poor decisions. This just puts that burden back on the consumer.

There are already caps, in theory, on how many gallons of homebrew you can make in a year.
aTm '99
XpressAg09
AG
htxag09 said:

c'mon man. Don't you know that everybody is beautiful and we need to embrace the fatties.
Why do you think we're friends?
Ramrod
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-cdc-study-finds-roughly-78percent-of-people-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

KEY POINTS
  • About 78% of people who have been hospitalized, needed a ventilator or died from Covid-19 have been overweight or obese, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a new study Monday.
  • Just over 42% of the U.S. population was considered obese in 2018, according to the agency's most recent statistics. Overweight is defined as having a body mass index of 25 or more, while obesity is defined as having a BMI of 30 or more.
  • "As clinicians develop care plans for COVID-19 patients, they should consider the risk for severe outcomes in patients with higher BMIs, especially for those with severe obesity," the CDC wrote.

While I'm not a big fan of taxes, it's really time to add a Fat Tax. Fast food, candy, soft drinks and alcohol and other highly sugary foods. 15% tax (because most of it is cheap) and reduce subsidizes to the sugar industry.

Before I get flamed, I'm fat. I've already dropped 35lbs via a proper diet and counting calories/portion control. I also used to be very fit/lifter and I carry a lot of muscle so my BMI will never be 'right' and I also understand the BMI calculators are highly flawed. However, it's very easy to not pay an additional tax by simply not purchasing the foods that are leading to a large health crisis even before COVID. Taxes would stay local and go to hospital systems and/or business that move into underserved areas (assuming they're not rioted and burned down). And to make sure the taxes aren't pilferred, no more than 5% of it can be spent on administration of sending those funds back out.

Make it a tax break or tax credit to incentivize a healthy lifestyle. The same way companies offer low cost high deductible health plans as long as you meet certain criteria. We need less than or better utilization of current taxes, not more.

A higher price isn't going to stop a fatty from getting the crap food they want. Don't punish me when I want to slum it with Whataburger every now and then, or get my kids Chickfila on the weekend; reward me for making better choices the other 95% of the time and trying to not be a burden on the health care system.
Irish 2.0
third coast.. said:

The only time you'll ever hear me give kudos to the Obamas, but I give Michelle props for the "Let's Move" campaign idea while she was FLOTUS. They just did horribly with implementing it. Sound idea, horrible roll out.
htxag09
AG
XpressAg09 said:

htxag09 said:

Why do you think we're friends?

Well since I've lost 70+ lbs you may need to find a new fatty to meet your quota
Irish 2.0
kapon said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

third coast.. said:

Wow!
Where would it end?
Just another sin tax. I don't think a tax is the answer personally because the government will just piss the money away as usual. Something needs to be done though to try to reduce the obesity epidemic in the US. Obesity is a true epidemic in this country. Not COVID.
Post removed:
by user
Daddy-O5
AG
I'm not a fan of either, weaponizing taxes or "here's some of your money back for being a good boy". But of the two I like yours better.

Optimally, I'd like to force people to live with their own life decisions, and significantly reduce tax payer money going to other peoples healthcare. However, I freely admit I don't know how that would actually work in practice.
Irish 2.0
third coast.. said:

That with her school meal program were the major problems. They were classifying pizza as a fruit iirc and the program led to so much food wastage because kids didn't want that stuff so they just tossed it. It's another function of bad home life. Parents feed their kids trash so the kids will only want trash at school. If kids don't learn to eat right at home and have parents who don't care then the kids are going to be fat little porkers eating doritos and drinking mountain dew. I dislike fat people but dislike people who allow their children to be fat even more. Straight up ruining the kids life before it has even begun.

Agreed. It all starts in the home environment. Unfortunately too many people in this country think it is the responsiblity of the schools to raise and take care of their sex trophies in all functions and they're just passive parents when school isn't in session.
Daddy-O5
AG
Completely Agree. However not the government's solution to solve. Until we start forcing people to deal with their own life decisions (instead of being bailed out by gov't and taxpayers) the problem will not go away.
Irish 2.0
J_Daddy05 said:

Completely Agree. However not the government's solution to solve. Until we start forcing people to deal with their own life decisions (instead of being bailed out by gov't and taxpayers) the problem will not go away.
Oh, the problem isn't and won't go away anytime soon. I recognize that. I like the tax credit idea, but then we would just hear *****ing that it is a tax break for the well to do because they can afford to eat properly. ****ing head of lettuce and 5lbs of chicken breast can be had for under 12 bucks and feed a family of four two nights. But we can't talk about that sort of logic.
AlaskanAg99
AG
And how do you prove that you're living a 'heathy lifestyle'?
aTm '99
Post removed:
by user
AlaskanAg99
AG
third coast.. said:

That with her school meal program were the major problems. They were classifying pizza as a fruit iirc and the program led to so much food wastage because kids didn't want that stuff so they just tossed it. It's another function of bad home life. Parents feed their kids trash so the kids will only want trash at school. If kids don't learn to eat right at home and have parents who don't care then the kids are going to be fat little porkers eating doritos and drinking mountain dew. I dislike fat people but dislike people who allow their children to be fat even more. Straight up ruining the kids life before it has even begun.

Part of this I thought about later, but in High School mandatory classes should include nutrition/cooking. If parents won't teach their kids how to read labels, then the school should.

And also personal finance. Understand how loans work, how to make a budget, how to save for retirement etc...
aTm '99
chimpanzee
AlaskanAg99 said:

third coast.. said:

Part of this I thought about later, but in High School mandatory classes should include nutrition/cooking. If parents won't teach their kids how to read labels, then the school should.

And also personal finance. Understand how loans work, how to make a budget, how to save for retirement etc...
What's the over/under on BMI and credit card debt for public school teachers?

AlaskanAg99
AG
third coast.. said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Government weigh stations and blood work
I know your joking about the weigh stations, but the current BMI is so highly flawed. I'd have to cut limbs off to get down to a 'healthy' weight because in addition to being too fat, I used to lift and still carry a lot of muscle. I don't think anyone would say I look 'fat', but my BMI is high. I will continue to lose weight but I'll never hit the healthy BMI number.

The BMI would have to be amended to include other factors and considerations.

The only easiest way to make some change is to tax foods and drinks that are high in sugars and redirect that back to schools and hospitals. It would be better for 'breaks' for healthy lifestyles but that is a harder metric to assess.
aTm '99
Ramrod
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

By the microchip in my Covid vaccine of course.

Hell the government most likely has all the access to Garmin data and financial records to verify it. Or I work it like itemized deductions on my taxes.

I just thought of this plan when I saw your post, give me some time to work with Shejack and Al Green to work out the kinks and bulletproof this thing.
Ramrod
AG
third coast.. said:

I dislike fat people but dislike people who allow their children to be fat even more. Straight up ruining the kids life before it has even begun.

This **** really does make me sad and angry when I see it public. Poor kid getting into a huge hole just because they don't know any better.
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
Pretty interesting studies about a "switch" that goes off at some point in puberty as well. Basically sets up your system as a baseline. If you're fat when that switch goes off, will be harder to lose weight pretty much the rest of your life. So even more crucial for parents to quit being lazy and taking the path of least resistance
Fitch
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

third coast.. said:

I agree. I had 2 back surgeries in 2019 and my rehab was stunted by COVID and I got into a very bad set of habits (or they just got worse from '18 and '19 when my back was giving me all sorts of issues).

The crazy part is, I'm losing the weight with zero exercise (back is still jacked up). I homebrew, I love bourbon, I love smoked foods, but I'm the only one responsible for what I shove in my facehole. I still have a long way to go, but it can be done with the right tools (free aps) and self discipline.

I said the same thing a couple years ago to a group at dinner and the women there about leapt out of their chairs ready to fight and flay me alive.

Addicts, all of them, I suppose.
Post removed:
by user
AlaskanAg99
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Fitch said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

third coast.. said:

I said the same thing a couple years ago to a group at dinner and the women there about leapt out of their chairs ready to fight and flay me alive.

Addicts, all of them, I suppose.

I think it's dumb. People who are younger and work out and exercise a lot can eat almost anything. Before I turned 40 I could eat anything and not gain a pound because I was so active.
Me too. But that changes and habits tend not to. But you cannot deny the cost to society that obesity has. ****, even the entire COVID response may not have been as severe/long with businesses being shut down. Even if YOU aren't fat, that doesn't mean you're free from the consequences of others poor decisions.
aTm '99
Fitch
AG
Not to beat the dead horse, but go anywhere else in the world and the big takeaway you're hit with repeatedly is the US is the only spot on earth with fat people everywhere and news that focuses on only domestic issues. Doubt that will ever be any different, especially after the year just past.
cone
AG
there's a bunch of fats in the UK
TarponChaser
Fitch said:

Not to beat the dead horse, but go anywhere else in the world and the big takeaway you're hit with repeatedly is the US is the only spot on earth with fat people everywhere and news that focuses on only domestic issues. Doubt that will ever be any different, especially after the year just past.

I won't debate the fats here vs. elsewhere but simply being thinner within huge swaths of the populations in the UK and EU does not equal healthy. They actually eat far worse diets in most cases. However, their portions are markedly smaller and they're forced to walk vs. drive when going almost anywhere. Additionally in most of the UK and EU the percentage of smokers and heavy drinkers is far higher than here.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Always look at the mama, make sure that Ferrari you are purchasing isn't going to turn into a passenger van after a couple rugrats.
Fitch
AG
Yup. Tons more smokers in Europe, Asia. Air quality in Asia is especially terrible. Came back with pneumonia after spending a couple days in Saigon once.

Interestingly, I've heard there are much higher rates of diabetes in predominately Islamic countries due to sugar intake in lieu of alcohol (Turkish delight, sugary Moroccan teas, etc). Gotta get the vice in one way or another.
TarponChaser
Fitch said:

Yup. Tons more smokers in Europe, Asia. Air quality in Asia is especially terrible. Came back with pneumonia after spending a couple days in Saigon once.

Interestingly, I've heard there are much higher rates of diabetes in predominately Islamic countries due to sugar intake in lieu of alcohol (Turkish delight, sugary Moroccan teas, etc). Gotta get the vice in one way or another.

And I know it's been discussed in here a whole lot from very early on but rates of smoking, obesity, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes in the US are all substantially higher in black and Hispanic populations which is why they've been hit far worse than whites. There's a pretty stark difference in whites too based on income levels as poorer whites tend to smoke more and have far more incidence of the referenced comorbidities which cause significantly worse outcomes with covid infections.

But nobody wants to really talk about those realities except to cry racism.
T Durden
AG
Your privilege is showing bro...
BohunkAg
AG
Fitch said:

If you go anywhere else in the world, the US is the only spot on earth where there's anything wrong. **** them.
First Page Last Page
Page 381 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.