Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,507,023 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
WorthAg95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wessimo said:

Maybe related to the new strain. :/

Pfizer said their vaccine works against the new strain. Try again.
lunchbox
I wanted to check with my friend first before I shared this but here is what happened today at HISD

My friend works in a department with logistical concerns when there is a closure. Right after lunch today, the heads of these depts were called into a meeting and told that next Monday and Tuesday would be no students. It would be used as prep time to go 100% virtual for at least 3 weeks. This was all due to some briefing they had (not sure from who). My friend said there was a board meeting last night and nothing was mentioned about this so everyone was surprised at how out of the blue this happened.

These depts were told to start cancelling orders, deliveries, etc. They were told to start telling their teams to figure out who was essential to be in the office and who could work from home. These depts started scrambling.

Then, around 5:30, word came out that it was off. Apparently the district started talking to other districts in the area and there was so much push back that they changed it back to business as usual on Monday. Now, these depts have to call vendors to uncancel deliveries, etc. Sounds like it is going to be a day-by-day thing and they may send out an alert to parents soon to be prepared for a move to virtual at any time.
wessimo
AG
Just trying to guess why HISD would shut it down. Maybe it is just due to the ugly stats as of late.
Post removed:
by user
cone
AG
once again, predicated on what?

are they going to show that K-5 is a leading contributor to the current crisis?
lunchbox
cone said:

once again, predicated on what?

are they going to show that K-5 is a leading contributor to the current crisis?
I'm not in a position to know that. All I know is there was a briefing with the district. You aren't going to get answers to every question in life so stop asking over and over.
Ags #1
AG
Shut down everything but the schools. Virtual learning is a living hell
lunchbox
Ags #1 said:

Shut down everything but the schools. Virtual learning is a living hell
Amen
Post removed:
by user
Stat Monitor Repairman
The way things are going, criticizing leaders about corvid response will be considered hate speech.
tylercsbn9
AG
wessimo said:

Just trying to guess why HISD would shut it down. Maybe it is just due to the ugly stats as of late.

Maybe my kids school will finally go from 3 cases among the student population to 4. We've been stuck at three since the week after thanksgiving
tylercsbn9
AG
lunchbox said:

I wanted to check with my friend first before I shared this but here is what happened today at HISD

My friend works in a department with logistical concerns when there is a closure. Right after lunch today, the heads of these depts were called into a meeting and told that next Monday and Tuesday would be no students. It would be used as prep time to go 100% virtual for at least 3 weeks. This was all due to some briefing they had (not sure from who). My friend said there was a board meeting last night and nothing was mentioned about this so everyone was surprised at how out of the blue this happened.

These depts were told to start cancelling orders, deliveries, etc. They were told to start telling their teams to figure out who was essential to be in the office and who could work from home. These depts started scrambling.

Then, around 5:30, word came out that it was off. Apparently the district started talking to other districts in the area and there was so much push back that they changed it back to business as usual on Monday. Now, these depts have to call vendors to uncancel deliveries, etc. Sounds like it is going to be a day-by-day thing and they may send out an alert to parents soon to be prepared for a move to virtual at any time.

So basically HISD is the big10/pac12 and the surrounding districts are the sec/acc
Post removed:
by user
Tabasco
AG
aTm2004 said:

Considering Humble ISD told Dora to eff herself at the start of the year, I'd hope they'd continue to do the same.

I was at Humble High School on Wednesday the 9th. It was 9am and I was chatting with an administrator about what percent were virtual (I guessed 50% and they said that is about right. Asked about cases, and they said they had 10 positives that day alone (this was at 9am). I asked is that was typical, because my daughter goes to George Ranch High, and they only have one every few days, other than the Greatwood 18th birthday party super spreader event that resulted in 22 positives and the football team having to forfeit the playoffs. They said no, in the fall everything was low.
Stat Monitor Repairman
'Greatwood 18th birthday party super spreader event'

I lol'ed.
Tabasco
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

'Greatwood 18th birthday party super spreader event'

I lol'ed.
It was a Greatwood girl's 18th birthday. Her parents planned a huge party with alcohol for teens because they are "cool" parents. Girl came up sick a day or so before the party, but they had it anyway. Huge crowd in the house, no distancing or masks. That event made 22 positive and they had to bow out of playoff game vs. Katy Taylor. At least the parents are cool though. Neighborhood Facebook was on fire about it lol.
FalconAg06
Big Al 1992
AG
Wish I could stick find the article but HISD normally has 10-15% of high school students fail at least one class. This fall's first grading period saw over 40% fail at least one class. Usually because they no show virtually or don't turn in assignments. Yet doesn't surprise me HISD would try to shut it down.
aTm2004
AG
How is this impacting HISD's money? If they're still getting the money, they'll just pass the kids at the end of the year citing some unusual circumstances and be done with it. They don't care. It's all about money, power, and which minority group is leading.
Tabasco
AG
I heard Texas schools got an exemption regarding attendance and pay in the fall, but that ended at break. Even a district like fort bend is expecting to lose millions.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Big Al 1992 said:

Wish I could stick find the article but HISD normally has 10-15% of high school students fail at least one class. This fall's first grading period saw over 40% fail at least one class. Usually because they no show virtually or don't turn in assignments. Yet doesn't surprise me HISD would try to shut it down.
I kinda think administrators are happy to shut down again. This give a baked in excuse for another year. Can't get fired or taken over by the state if the numbers are jacked.

Hell, We are gonna hear about corvid as a get out of jail free card for failed schools for at least the next 10-15 years, for sure.
Ag_07
AG
If HISD is shutting down I want my HISD tax money back. Or at least a portion of it.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG

Jack Klompus
AG
Dominique Sachse got the corvid.
https://www.chron.com/culture/article/KPRC-anchor-Dominique-Sachse-diagnosed-COVID-19-15855971.php
TarponChaser
Some excellent stuff from Rogan to counter a lot of the craziness with some facts: Alex Berenson on Joe Rogan Experience
Tabasco
AG
TarponChaser said:

Some excellent stuff from Rogan to counter a lot of the craziness with some facts: Alex Berenson on Joe Rogan Experience

What's the gist of that podcast. It's from a journalist, nod an MD, so just want a sentence or two on the content if you don't mind.
chimpanzee
Tabasco said:

TarponChaser said:

What's the gist of that podcast. It's from a journalist, nod an MD, so just want a sentence or two on the content if you don't mind.
Berenson has been contrarian on COVID coverage from the get go. He has questioned a lot of the wisdom of lockdowns, masks, school closures, heterogeneous risk, etc.

If you got all of your coverage from CNN or local news, you would never see the facts framed as he does. I'm not always a fan of his style, but he has many points about the political nature of the response that are very compelling.

Tabasco
AG
chimpanzee said:

Tabasco said:

TarponChaser said:

Berenson has been contrarian on COVID coverage from the get go. He has questioned a lot of the wisdom of lockdowns, masks, school closures, heterogeneous risk, etc.

If you got all of your coverage from CNN or local news, you would never see the facts framed as he does. I'm not always a fan of his style, but he has many points about the political nature of the response that are very compelling.

Got it. Thanks
chimpanzee
Tabasco said:

chimpanzee said:

Tabasco said:

TarponChaser said:

Got it. Thanks
He is active on Twitter and used to write for the NYT, which means the rest of Twitter couldn't immediately call him a Trumpist shill and dismiss him out of hand. I only started in on Twitter at all when I saw a lot of the logical inconsistencies he was writing about and found his feed and a few others.

On a related note Twitter perma-banned another guy, just a random commenter that built up a good following with great rational analysis and presentation of facts that went by "el gato malo". He may have called people idiots and the like, but he was never threatening, nor did he post or link to anything untrue, but they nuked his account all the same, no explanation.

Pro-lockdown, pro-fear posts that are blantantly false and unsupported go unchecked on there. Such is the medium,
Stat Monitor Repairman
Jack Klompus said:

https://www.chron.com/culture/article/KPRC-anchor-Dominique-Sachse-diagnosed-COVID-19-15855971.php
Its wild how celebrities coming down with corvid has become a badge of honor of some sort.

I know exactly zero people (first-hand) in ten-months that have gotten the lung aids, but can rattle off a dozen celebrities that claim to have had corvid or died from it.
aTm2004
AG
chimpanzee said:

Tabasco said:

TarponChaser said:

This is a pretty good summary. I'm about half way through the podcast now and really like the points he's making.

He's looking at it as a journalist rather than an expert. He's looked at the data around the age distribution of cases and deaths, and whether or not the shut downs are warranted. Discussed school closures as well as the initial response to COVD, and how the government is taking the same steps now despite knowing a lot more about it. Talked about the effectiveness of masks (N95 work, others...) and how the only real study that was completed in Norway (IIRC), concluded it was not effective. He also touched on ICU capacity and how CA had temp hospitals set up during the flu season in 2017, yet they didn't shut down.

The one thing they're discussing that I find interesting is about the vaccine. He's gone into the percentages of the effectiveness and compared that to natural immunity, and the incentives to get everyone vaccinated vs. only those most at risk (older population). He stated the drug companies have made billions off of this and were given immunity from the government, thus if there are major side effects, you can't sue. He stated he covered the pharmaceutical companies when he was at the NYT and many of the side effects are public, but some of the major ones are only brought to light during discovery, which there will not be for this vaccine.

He did state all of the info he's gathered is public.

aTm2004
AG

Jack Klompus said:

Its wild how celebrities coming down with corvid has become a badge of honor of some sort.

I know exactly zero people (first-hand) in ten-months that have gotten the lung aids, but can rattle off a dozen celebrities that claim to have had corvid or died from it.
She's going to have a celebratory surgery when she's declared a "COVID Survivor."
Ducks4brkfast
AG

Jack Klompus said:

I know exactly zero people (first-hand) in ten-months that have gotten the lung aids
Wow, really? I'm into the dozens at this point.
gougler08
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Jack Klompus said:

I know exactly zero people (first-hand) in ten-months that have gotten the lung aids
Wow, really? I'm into the dozens at this point.
About 1/3 of my neighborhood has had it at this point, all mild cases though
Diggity
AG

Jack Klompus said:

It's kind of surprising that you don't know anyone that has tested positive. I know at least 10. All but one had minimal issues.

Maybe they're just not telling you!
First Page Last Page
Page 334 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.