Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,505,261 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
DartAg1970
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to the UN World Populations Prospect in a 2018 study they suggest 7,452 people die every day in the US. So every day we have almost as many deaths as "the deadliest day in US history."

This was before COVID so that graphic is at best misleading and at worst intentional lie/propaganda to make everyone afraid.
cone
AG
that graphic is ****ing ridiculous

to equate deaths inflicted by a natural cause to Pearl Harbor or 9/11 is dumb af
BohunkAg
AG
cone said:

that graphic is ****ing ridiculous

to equate deaths inflicted by a natural cause to Pearl Harbor or 9/11 is dumb af
Not only dumb, but insulting.
Chipotlemonger
AG
DartAg1970 said:

According to the UN World Populations Prospect in a 2018 study they suggest 7,452 people die every day in the US. So every day we have almost as many deaths as "the deadliest day in US history."

This was before COVID so that graphic is at best misleading and at worst intentional lie/propaganda to make everyone afraid.
I'm kind of surprised, but guess I shouldn't be, at people not sitting back and critically thinking about the numbers involved and seeing that something ain't right.

Definitely a purposely misleading graphic.
TXTransplant
Someone the other day asked about flu deaths this year.

I've posed this before, but below is a link to the CDC data from 2/1/2020 to 12/5/2020 that compares Covid deaths to total deaths, flu deaths, and pneumonia deaths.

2.7 million deaths total since 2/1. 6868 from flu, and 119569 from pneumonia. Idk how deaths are counted if you have flu and pneumonia.

Numbers are broken down by various age groups, too.

Surprisingly (or maybe not) across all age groups the number of Covid deaths is about the same as pneumonia deaths. But you don't start seeing a significant number of covid+pneumonia deaths until the 30-49 year age group. As you go up in age, more and more deaths are identified as Covid+pneumonia.

About 10% of all deaths since 2/1 are designated as Covid. About 46% of the 261k Covid deaths are Covid+pneumonia. Interestingly, there have been 257k deaths from pneumonia, and about 46% of those were pneumonia+Covid.

Seems to me we aren't taking pneumonia seriously enough.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku
aTm2004
AG
My 67 year old diabetic step-dad got COVID and he passed it to my mom. He was fine after the onset of symptoms and felt back to normal after a few days (went outside and did yard work...to the coronabros they live in the country, so don't freak out thinking he's spreading it to cows or anything). About a week later, he developed pneumonia, which did put him on his ass. He went to the ER from it, and they admitted him to the hospital. After a day in the hospital, they sent him home to "cough it up." No meds, no oxygen, nothing. Well, it got much worse and it got to the point where he couldn't go take a piss without feeling like he had just ran around the block at a full sprint. So, back to the ER he went.

Due to him being on medicare, the way my mom explained it to me was medicare pays much less than private insurance (no surprise), and if someone ends up in the hospital again for the same thing, the hospital isn't paid by medicare. He's a vet as well, so he should have gone to the VA, but it isn't close. Due to this, the hospital began trying to force him out almost immediately. My mom fought with them so much that she had a stroke and ended up in the hospital as well. She's privately insured, so they were glad to have her there. Anyway, she raised enough hell that the CEO of the hospital called and spoke with her while she was there, and after he heard about what was going on, the doctors actually began treating the pneumonia instead of trying to get him out. Unsurprisingly, he got much better and was released a few days later and is back to normal.

So, this makes me wonder how many others this has happened to and how many "COVID" deaths with pneumonia could have been prevented if the hospitals/doctors actually treated the pneumonia. In all honesty, if they would have just let the hospital release him, he probably would have died and been a "COVID" death, even though the pneumonia is what was hurting him.

As for my mom, no lingering issues from the stroke (thank God) and only symptom of COVID was being tired, but we're not 100% sure if it's from the 'rona or fighting with the doctors and hospital. Oh...she was a "COVID" patient as well while she was there even though a stroke is what put her there.
aTm2004
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Anyone have the updated flu statistics for the YTD?

Did the regular flu get sent back to the minors or what?
I had a conversation with my cousin's semi-liberal wife about this, and all she could tell me was the numbers are down because people are wearing masks, washing their hands a lot more, staying inside and not going out to large gatherings like they usually do. So, I asked her if that was working for the flu, why was it not working for COVID. Her face went to immediate fish mouth.

No, you're not going to want Rule 1. Let's just say...she married way out of her league. My cousin is an athletic freak who finished first in his class at the Navy's rescue swimming school and could quite possibly be on a billboard in his underwear in Times Square. She's about as wide as she is tall.
TarponChaser
aTm2004
AG
Haha...one of my best friends growing up is a graduate of the Naval Academy (O-5) and his wife is hooot. She is also the sister of the plebe he was assigned his Jr year at the academy.
TXTransplant
Just got a text message from Harris County Public Health asking me to contact them about an "urgent matter".

I tested positive last Saturday and am more than half way through my 10 day isolation.
aTm2004
AG
Don't respond.
TarponChaser
TXTransplant said:

Just got a text message from Harris County Public Health asking me to contact them about an "urgent matter".

I tested positive last Saturday and am more than half way through my 1 day isolation.

That's odd. Neither the wife nor I got any call when we tested positive. We're done with our quarantine as are our boys.
CDUB98
AG
Had a friend post that dumbass picture on Facebook.

Someone brought the CDC average death per day argument to her.

Her and two other cackling hens immediately shot back that those numbers aren't comparable because they are total deaths, not deaths from a single morbidity.

You can't change these people's minds no matter what. They are too locked in their fear coupled with their "government provides all good things" mentality.
cone
AG
but isn't the itis more deadly as a result of compounded comorbidities?

I don't understand
TXTransplant
SoupNazi2001 said:

TXTransplant said:

I tested positive last Saturday and am more than half way through my 1 day isolation.

I would respond and tell them I'm going out to the bars daily.

I vacillate between not wanting to respond at all, wanting to respond to be helpful, and wanting to respond to mess with them.
TXTransplant
CDUB98 said:

Had a friend post that dumbass picture on Facebook.

Someone brought the CDC average death per day argument to her.

Her and two other cackling hens immediately shot back that those numbers aren't comparable because they are total deaths, not deaths from a single morbidity.

You can't change these people's minds no matter what. They are too locked in their fear coupled with their "government provides all good things" mentality.

Someone dies every 36 seconds from cardiovascular disease. That's 655k deaths a year. 1800 deaths a day.

140k die every year from stroke. That's 380 people a day.
TXTransplant
So, I'm a good little Girl Scout and called.

They mainly just wanted to ask what my test result was (I'm not sure if the clinic told them I tested positive or just told them that I took a test) and verify some basic information - name, age, address, and phone number.

They asked me if I wanted to be transferred to someone who does contact tracing, and I said no because I tested positive last Saturday and all my potential contacts were notified immediately. I think the contact tracer also asks about your symptoms and gives you info about "resources". I don't need that.

Not sure my friends would be my friends anymore if I gave their numbers to Harris Co Public Health.

TX04Aggie
AG
Yeah they texted and called me, I didnt respond back to anything.
Post removed:
by user
BowSowy
AG
I've got a funny story from my mom.

Last weekend, they were in Lubbock for a wedding and got back to Austin on Sunday. She was out walking their dogs and talked to her next door neighbor for maybe 2 minutes, during which she told the neighbor that they were in Lubbock for a wedding the day before. Said neighbor proceeded to freak out because she was "exposed" from their brief, 2 minute conversation outdoors. Neighbor's sister from CA had been staying with them (first time the sister had seen another person face-to-face since the lockdowns started), but decided to drive back to CA because of the "exposure".

Some people are absolutely insane.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Mass hysteria, no other way around it.
XpressAg09
AG
BowSowy said:

Austin.
TXTransplant
I'm not advocating hysteria or panic, but I do not know where I contracted the virus. Thinking back to the 3-5 days before I lost taste/smell, I either got from someone who I was more than 6 ft apart from and/or was not in contact with for more than a few minutes (may or may not have been wearing a mask), or I got it from a surface someone who was infected left their germs on (in a bathroom or kitchen).

With that said, none of my close contacts have gotten it from me, including a friend who I visited for a couple of hours (no mask) less than two days before I lost taste/smell, coworkers who I ate lunch with the day before I lost taste/smell, and my supervisor who did my performance review the day before I lost taste smell (we did wear masks and sat at least 6 ft apart).

16 year old son has also had zero symptoms (obviously, he could be asymptomatic).

For the past 7 months, I've been taking reasonable precautions, without completely shutting down my life as I previously knew it. I've made choices, like attending small group fitness classes, knowing what the risk was. I let my kid go back to school.

I finally did get it, the symptoms were minor, and now I have antibodies and can REALLY get back to normal life.

I've never been scared of the virus and have tried to take a very balanced, pragmatic approach.

But some people are just terrified. I'm not sure there is anything that could reassure those people at this point, but I don't see any need to criticize them, even if it is on an anonymous message board. Just let them do their thing, no matter how absurd it may seem.

I think there are enough "untraceable" infections out there that people have cause to be concerned about even a short interaction. And this idea that masks + 6 ft completely prevents infection is a joke.
BohunkAg
AG
TXTransplant said:

But some people are just terrified. I'm not sure there is anything that could reassure those people at this point, but I don't see any need to criticize them, even if it is on an anonymous message board. Just let them do their thing, no matter how absurd it may seem.

I try not to, but it affects others, like my parents who don't know better and my kids. We know better, but some others don't and hear these type of people and get anxious. That's my only issue.
TXTransplant
BohunkAg said:

TXTransplant said:

I try not to, but it affects others, like my parents who don't know better and my kids. We know better, but some others don't and hear these type of people and get anxious. That's my only issue.

I agree with you; it's frustrating. I have someone in my family who has irrational fears - of all sorts of stuff. Just add Covid to the (already long) list.

Since I've been dealing with it for years, I know there is absolutely nothing I can do. That person is just going to behave irrationally. I know it's hard to be away from family, but if certain family or friends want to isolate and not be with you right now, that's their choice. You can try to reason with them and make them change their minds, but if you're not successful, there is the risk of alienating them.

This stupid virus is literally destroying families, but not because people are dying from it.
FalconAg06
Modern society has forgotten that people still die for a myriad of different reasons. When people are reminded that they are mortal, and there are things medicine can't immediately cure, they freak out.
BohunkAg
AG
Totally agree with you in that regard.
BohunkAg
AG
FalconAg06 said:

Modern society has forgotten that people still die for a myriad of different reasons. When people are reminded that they are mortal, and there are things medicine can't immediately cure, they freak out.
This too.
Stat Monitor Repairman
You said it man. This **** is 'beyond rational thought.' We just along for the ride at this point.
TXTransplant
Think what you want. I haven't "bought into the hype and fear", but I'm willing to acknowledge that others have.

And, yeah, while most people who get this virus will not die, and many will not get sick at all, I (and no one else for that matter) can predict WHO will have WHAT outcome.

For every story I've heard about someone having minimal to no symptoms (similar to mine), I've heard one about someone getting really sick and being hospitalized. Heck, my neighbor right across the street tested positive earlier this week, and she is really struggling. She was being careful, but clearly she wasn't being paranoid. Her story doesn't scare me, but it probably would scare someone else (or confirm their existing fears).

So, yes, I did "contact tracing". Not just because my employer required it, but because I have a moral obligation to tell those I've been in contact with that I'm sick. I didn't do it with the county, because, frankly, any contact tracing where you don't even contact the sick person until 5 days after they've tested positive is an absolute joke.

I would not characterize any of them as "high risk". A few are 50+, and one has weight/high blood pressure issues, but that's irrelevant. You don't pick and choose who you contact based on how high risk you ~think~ they are. Just be honest with everyone and let them do with the information what they want. It's not my place to judge them for it because my judgement isn't going to change their minds.

I'm just trying to do the responsible thing to preserve my relationships with family, friends, and coworkers.

I don't think doing the responsible thing means the government stepping in with closures and restrictions. For me, personally, I don't think the responsible thing means shutting myself up in my own home. I've been out and about, doing my best to live a "normal", hysteria-free life, and support the businesses that have really struggled through this. Edit: Not out and about this week, but in the months before I got sick.

But, the responsible thing does mean that individuals who get sick should be open and honest with information so that other people are able to make the best decisions for themselves. There IS a difference.

Not to mention, I'm (relatively) young, not overweight, not diabetic, don't have high blood pressure, etc. There was no need for me to ever be scared of this virus. But, the majority of Americans, particularly those age 40+, can't say the same thing. If anything, the past 10 months should have been a wake up call for people to address their health issues. But, some people aren't going to want to do that and would rather panic instead.

All I can say to that is, it's their life (and not mine). Because there isn't a darn thing I can do to change it. And I'm certainly not going to argue with family and friends about it.

I totally agree with your point about not doing this for any other illnesses. I don't have a good explanation for that. Frankly, I think as a society we do a great job of completely ignoring some of the worst killers (pneumonia, heart disease, diabetes). I don't understand why people have decided to label this virus as worse than any of those other illnesses.

I haven't been sick with the flu in a while (over 10+ years), but I like to think if I was, I'd at least tell people I came in contact with to watch out for symptoms. I know when I got sick with a tick-borne virus summer before last and broke out in a horrible rash and had conjunctivitis that caused one eye to swell shut, I told people who I came into contact with what I had and that it wasn't contagious.
CoachRTM
AG
Welp. Tested positive today. Been pretty careful, but not sure where I could have gotten it from. Wife tested negative, but is freaking out right now.

I didn't have any symptoms - just was supposed to be on a college football field tomorrow and had to take a required test to do so.

Here's to hoping i continue to be asymptomatic and that my wife either doesn't get it, or is also asymptomatic if she does eventually test positive. Also, if this can be resolved by Christmas, that would be fantastic.
LostInLA07
AG
Seems like you'll be clear by the 21st
First Page Last Page
Page 316 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.