Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,319 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TarponChaser said:

So for Christmas, if everybody over the age of 11 except my parents have had it, can we still infect them? My parents have become CoronaKaren & CoronaKen.

CDC guidelines state that you are no longer contagious and can rejoin the land of the living if you isolate for 10 days after onset of the first symptom or, if you have no symptoms, 10 days after a positive test.

Your immunity superpowers are good for at least three months. I think that's kind of just an educated guess, but that's what the current guidelines say.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/faq.html#:~:text=The%20immune%20response%2C%20including,is%20not%20yet%20understood.
Jock 07
AG
Wife told me apparently In-N-Out is forcing you to wear a mask in the ****in drive through now. This **** has gotten beyond ridiculous
Nitro Power
AG
Jock 07 said:

Wife told me apparently In-N-Out is forcing you to wear a mask in the ****in drive through now. This **** has gotten beyond ridiculous
Mediocre burger is mediocre. And they want to pull that ***** **** em.
cgh1999
AG
Jock 07 said:

Whataburger doesn't. Reason 473 that Whataburger is better.
Jock 07
AG
Nitro Power said:

Jock 07 said:

Mediocre burger is mediocre. And they want to pull that ***** **** em.

Absolutely concur, unfortunately no whataburger and everything else out here is charbroiled ***** Although the Habit isn't too bad
TarponChaser
TXTransplant said:

TarponChaser said:

So for Christmas, if everybody over the age of 11 except my parents have had it, can we still infect them? My parents have become CoronaKaren & CoronaKen.

CDC guidelines state that you are no longer contagious and can rejoin the land of the living if you isolate for 10 days after onset of the first symptom or, if you have no symptoms, 10 days after a positive test.

Your immunity superpowers are good for at least three months. I think that's kind of just an educated guess, but that's what the current guidelines say.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/faq.html#:~:text=The%20immune%20response%2C%20including,is%20not%20yet%20understood.
Right, I got that part.

My question, which perhaps wasn't clear, was- could we be asymptomatic carriers? As in, we have close contact and are carrying the virus but are immune while still pass it along?

I think it's overblown but my parents are off the rails these days.
TXTransplant
So, you're asking about a situation where someone who has already had the virus (and presumably has immunity) comes into contact with someone who has the virus and doesn't become reinfected but is still capable of spreading the virus?

I haven't heard of any evidence supporting that scenario, and I haven't seen any guidelines addressing it.

If you're no longer contagious 10 days after symptoms, then I wouldn't think you're capable of spreading it unless you are reinfected and have symptoms again.

I suppose it's possible to be reinfected and be asymptomatic, but reinfection is pretty rare.

But if this is something your parents are REALLY concerned about, it sounds like they might need to spend Christmas alone.
AgsMyDude
AG
TarponChaser said:

It's one Christmas and the vaccine is around the corner.

Just let them be.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
TarponChaser said:

TXTransplant said:

TarponChaser said:

Right, I got that part.

My question, which perhaps wasn't clear, was- could we be asymptomatic carriers? As in, we have close contact and are carrying the virus but are immune while still pass it along?

I think it's overblown but my parents are off the rails these days.

Technically scientifically, yes. With immunity, you can still get a virus. Your body is just much better equipped to fight the virus off, and thus you'd shed less virus.

Very small odds IMO.
Stat Monitor Repairman
So you are saying the body's own immune system can fight off a virus?

Sounds suspect.

Would rather try and filter out virus particles by using a cloth mask and avoiding all people.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Wash your hands
FHKChE07
AG
Ha! I hit my out of pocket max on my wife's policy every year for the last 10. And both of my boys started out well with many hundreds of thousands of dollars of bills before they even left the hospital.
Bassmaster
AG
AgsMyDude said:

TarponChaser said:

It's one Christmas and the vaccine is around the corner.

Just let them be.
"One Christmas." Sure, it is. One Thanksgiving, one birthday, etc. Until it isn't.
TXTransplant
You've got to figure that the government, media, and scientific community have done an absolutely terrible job (even worse than we thought) of communicating information about this virus if people are still scared to interact with family members who have already been infected and recovered.

It's shameful and completely unacceptable, especially considering the resources available to share information. This isn't 1901.
TarponChaser
TXTransplant said:

You've got to figure that the government, media, and scientific community have done an absolutely terrible job (even worse than we thought) of communicating information about this virus if people are still scared to interact with family members who have already been infected and recovered.

It's shameful and completely unacceptable, especially considering the resources available to share information. This isn't 1901.

Exactly.

I think my mother has influenced my father on this more than anything. My mother has always been a hypochondriac who drives herself nuts worrying about stuff. But my father is a scientist. An Ivy League PhD who was on the College of Agriculture faculty for 30+ years specializing in plant genetics.

One of the most annoying things from my wife's family and mine was the absolute disbelief that we weren't on death's door and that our kids were completely unaffected. It's like they had some morbid obsession stemming from the constant news stream that this was automatically a death sentence and we're some miraculous aberration. That shows the failure of accurately communicating information about covid.

I mean, this absolutely stupid and incorrect image is all over FB and going unchallenged.

FalconAg06
Pretty sure I'm down with the sickness.

Feel pretty great so far. Waiting for my test result. Was at a party and 4/7 have been positive with the other 2 showing really slight symptoms like me.
ptothemo
AG
Drowning deep in my sea of loathing
Broken your servant I kneel
(Will you give in to me?)
It seems what's left of my human side
Is slowly changing in me

Looking at my own reflection
When suddenly it changes
Violently it changes (oh no)
There is no turning back now
You've woken up the demon in me
TXTransplant
I was just reading your posts in the other forum.

I always figured I was infected sometime between the Saturday after Thanksgiving and Monday or Tuesday last week. I lost taste/smell last Thursday.

Makes me think I was infected over that weekend. Problem is, I don't know of any people I came in contact with that weekend who also tested positive. The only place I went was my small group fitness class. Didn't go to the store or anywhere else because it rained all weekend. People have been pretty good about reporting symptoms, if they have them, but I guess there could have been someone who didn't (or was completely asymptomatic).
FalconAg06
ptothemo said:

Drowning deep in my sea of loathing
Broken your servant I kneel
It seems what's left of my human side
Is slowly changing in me

Looking at my own reflection
When suddenly it changes
Violently it changes (oh no)
There is no turning back now
You've woken up the demon in me

Oh-Ah-ah-ah-ah
FalconAg06
TXTransplant said:

I always figured I was infected sometime between the Saturday after Thanksgiving and Monday or Tuesday last week. I lost taste/smell last Thursday.

Makes me think I was infected over that weekend. Problem is, I don't know of any people I came in contact with that weekend who also tested positive. The only place I went was my small group fitness class. People have been pretty good about reporting symptoms, if they have them, but I guess there could have been someone who didn't (or was completely asymptomatic).

The lost taste thing is crazy. I had a drink of coffee and went "yeeccch the coffee is bad" so I grabbed a diet pepsi and went "man, it's flat too", so I grabbed some hot pickle bites and couldn't taste anything and was like "oh, i get it now"
TXTransplant
FalconAg06 said:

TXTransplant said:

Makes me think I was infected over that weekend. Problem is, I don't know of any people I came in contact with that weekend who also tested positive. The only place I went was my small group fitness class. People have been pretty good about reporting symptoms, if they have them, but I guess there could have been someone who didn't (or was completely asymptomatic).

The lost taste thing is crazy. I had a drink of coffee and went "yeeccch the coffee is bad" so I grabbed a diet pepsi and went "man, it's flat too", so I grabbed some hot pickle bites and couldn't taste anything and was like "oh, i get it now"

It's really weird.

I had partial taste last Thursday. Nothing tasted bad, flavors were just muted. And I could only smell certain things. It did seemed like smell improved when I took Sudafed, though.

Lost smell and taste completely on Friday. Thankfully, still nothing tasted bad. And I could distinguish between sweet, salty, spicy, sour, and bitter. But absolutely nothing had any flavor.

Taste started coming back on Tuesday, I think. It was better yesterday, and is even better today. Taste is strongest with the first couple of bites and then tends to fade. Can smell certain things, but not everything.
CowtownAg06
AG
That could be from the rona or from drinking Diet Pepsi.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I'm really glad Ive deleted Facebook because I'm pretty sure I'd lose some friends over that stupid picture. That's next level dumb.
Big Al 1992
AG
FalconAg06 said:

Feel pretty great so far. Waiting for my test result. Was at a party and 4/7 have been positive with the other 2 showing really slight symptoms like me.

Where did you get tested? We have to get tested for travel but places like CVs are saying we have to be symptomatic.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Just *cough cough*, really fatigued,
FalconAg06
Big Al 1992 said:

FalconAg06 said:

Where did you get tested? We have to get tested for travel but places like CVs are saying we have to be symptomatic.

A place called FastMed at 2920/249
TXTransplant
Big Al 1992 said:

FalconAg06 said:

I used Next Level Urgent Care. I'm pretty sure they will take your money, symptoms or not.
Diggity
AG
search for Curative. The Minute Maid Lot is free. Not sure about the rest of them
Noble07
AG
Had someone I know that does cancer research post that fake news picture. I pulled CDC statistics from 2019 and the avg number of deaths per day in the US is normally 7-8k. It's crazy how much these people want to be afraid.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Anyone have the updated flu statistics for the YTD?

Did the regular flu get sent back to the minors or what?
TarponChaser
Noble07 said:

Had someone I know that does cancer research post that fake news picture. I pulled CDC statistics from 2019 and the avg number of deaths per day in the US is normally 7-8k. It's crazy how much these people want to be afraid.

Do you have a link to that?

Also, I keep seeing this one (which seems just as dubious) and I can't find supporting data.

@Stat Monitor Repairman - wasn't there a post ITT a couple days ago about how flu cases were so low that the CDC couldn't even build their normal models?
CoachRTM
AG
TarponChaser said:

Noble07 said:

Do you have a link to that?

Also, I keep seeing this one (which seems just as dubious) and I can't find supporting data.

@Stat Monitor Repairman - wasn't there a post ITT a couple days ago about how flu cases were so low that the CDC couldn't even build their normal models?

If you extrapolate that for a full 12 months at the same rate.... it's 2.843 million, FYI.

It's not necessarily less than any other year, it's just about the same.
TarponChaser
CoachRTM said:

It's not necessarily less than any other year, it's just about the same.

Which is the point of the graphic.
CoachRTM
AG
I know that.

Given how many less people have died in car accidents, etc. because of the lockdowns and people staying at home, some would argue that it's a testament to our reaction to the pandemic.

I'm not one of those people, but I can already hear the argument.
Noble07
AG
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/wr/mm6826a5.htm

That's from 2019, with figures up to 2017.
First Page Last Page
Page 315 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.