Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,498,976 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Post removed:
by user
AeroAg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

TXTransplant said:

I'm not advocating hysteria or panic, but I do not know where I contracted the virus. Thinking back to the 3-5 days before I lost taste/smell, I either got from someone who I was more than 6 ft apart from and/or was not in contact with for more than a few minutes (may or may not have been wearing a mask), or I got it from a surface someone who was infected left their germs on (in a bathroom or kitchen).

With that said, none of my close contacts have gotten it from me, including a friend who I visited for a couple of hours (no mask) less than two days before I lost taste/smell, coworkers who I ate lunch with the day before I lost taste/smell, and my supervisor who did my performance review the day before I lost taste smell (we did wear masks and sat at least 6 ft apart).

16 year old son has also had zero symptoms (obviously, he could be asymptomatic).

For the past 7 months, I've been taking reasonable precautions, without completely shutting down my life as I previously knew it. I've made choices, like attending small group fitness classes, knowing what the risk was. I let my kid go back to school.

I finally did get it, the symptoms were minor, and now I have antibodies and can REALLY get back to normal life.

I've never been scared of the virus and have tried to take a very balanced, pragmatic approach.

But some people are just terrified. I'm not sure there is anything that could reassure those people at this point, but I don't see any need to criticize them, even if it is on an anonymous message board. Just let them do their thing, no matter how absurd it may seem.

I think there are enough "untraceable" infections out there that people have cause to be concerned about even a short interaction. And this idea that masks + 6 ft completely prevents infection is a joke.

This whole idea of everyone trying to rationalize where they got the Rona is insane. It's a respiratory virus. You can get it anywhere and masks don't do anything. Can you pinpoint where you have gotten colds or the flu previously?
Lord help us. We have established a sub society of dr Karen's telling everyone not to get sick.
TXTransplant
The couple of times I've gotten the flu, yes. Maybe not down to the exact person, but I know where I was/what I did to (most likely) be exposed.

As far as this virus is concerned, it's been 10 months of hysteria. Like it or not, it's an expectation at this point that you tell people you've been in contact with if you've tested positive. That's where the buck stops for me, though. I never thought it was necessary to tell people that I ~may~ have come in contact with someone who was exposed to someone else who tested positive (that's where my employer was when this all first started).

Now that I know the contact tracing being done by the county is a joke, I'd have no problem shutting that down. What a waste of resources (which, sadly, is not even a surprise or unexpected). Anecdotally, though, I know they do seem to be contacting "close contacts" from school exposures much faster.

Thankfully, none of my contacts panicked. A couple got tested (negative), one was positive (but their kid and spouse had worse symptoms than mine on the same day that I lost taste/smell, so they aren't likely to have gotten it from me), and a couple other people just said "ok, I'll watch out for symptoms".

IMO, no one in my case behaved irrationally. We all just did our best to deal with it and take precautions to not inadvertently spread it any further. I'm very thankful for this, because in the hours leading up to my testing and right after I tested positive, people freaking out was a very real concern of mine.

But, like I said in a previous post, I would do (and have done) the same for another illness.

For me, the importance of sharing that I honestly have no clue where I got it is to break this idea that a mask+6 ft apart is the equivalent of wearing Beskar armor.

It's not. And the idea that anyone can say that a person does or does not need to quarantine or was or was not exposed based on the mask+6 ft rule is absurd and probably doing more harm than good. But that's where we are.

If you're young and healthy, go out, live your life. If you get it, you get it.

If you're old(er), have health problems, and/or are just plain scared, then just stay home. Because a mask and 6 ft may not protect you.

The truth is, if you're going to work, school, or out in public, you might get it. The only way to 100% keep yourself safe and not get it is to stay home and isolate from anyone who isn't isolating with you. MOST people know that's absurd and completely impossible. But a lot of people think they CAN go out, and as long as they wear a mask, it's "safe". Nope, nope, nope. For me, this has become a very black or white situation. Either go on with life and accept the fact that you might get it, or barricade yourself in your house indefinitely. We need to stop pretending there is any "safe" alternative in between.

Whatever option people choose is fine with me. We just need to move past this idea that doing anything more than being sanitary (i.e., washing hands) and giving people personal space (which I'm a big fan of even when contagious illnesses aren't rampant) is keeping people "safe".

And let's stop pretending that some behaviors are "more safe" than others or that certain places are "less safe" than others.
jetch17
AG
My typing fingers hurt just looking at that
TXTransplant
In general, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. And I think initially, particularly when we saw what happened in Italy, this was about public health. Clearly, 10 months later, that's no longer the case.

This will probably sound corny, but we watched the newest episode of The Mandalorian last night. In one scene, an Imperial officer says "People say they want freedom, but what they really want is order."

Geez...truer words. I think most of our politicians (on both sides) believe that, and probably a good portion of the population does, too, but for very different reasons. The politicians who believe it want control; the people who believe it think the government can solve all their problems.

We very much live in Animal Farm. Not all people are equal.

Those who have power and/or access to certain resources (not just money) are living by a different set of rules right now. They are telling the rest of us to do one thing while they do something else.

And instead of pushing back against them, the average American is attacking his/her fellow American - refusing to see friends and family, yelling at people they don't know for not wearing a mask, accusing people of being irresponsible if they go to a gym or let their kids go to school.

This is exactly why I say this virus is tearing families apart, but not because people are getting sick and dying.

Heck, in most family dynamics, there is that one person who wants to tell everyone else what to do. Well, instead of dictating who is going to host Christmas dinner, or insisting you have ham and not turkey, or telling everyone else they are loading the dishwasher wrong, those people are telling anyone who doesn't agree with their viewpoint that they are killing other people.
TXTransplant
I'm on Day 9 of quarantine. I'm desperate. You should see what I've been posting on Instagram stories.
Idk3
AG
Well said Third Coast. None of this about the virus, that has just been their way to take away our freedoms.

txislandag86
Post removed:
by user
TX04Aggie
AG
Ha, yes. When people find out I had Covid, some are all like "OMG where did you get it, how did you get it?!!" My response is a very rational and unemotional one.. "I don't know, don't really care, because..... it's a virus."
cone
AG
it's because to have gotten the virus is to have done something irresponsible

that's the bottom line brainwashing

to catch it is irresponsible, almost immoral

to spread it is basically assault
Post removed:
by user
TX04Aggie
AG
Funny thing is, most of these people are hypocrites. I hung out with a few last week and they were "Covid this, covid that, and these people..." all the while they talked about all their Christmas parties they were going too, and travel coming up, etc. It was laughable, and they got defensive when I called them out on it.
CDUB98
AG
cone said:

My sarcasm meter is on the fritz.
TXTransplant
cone said:

It's also human nature to fall into denial when faced with something "scary" or when justifying your own behavior.

"I can't get Covid because I didn't go to a bar."
"I can't get Covid because I wore a mask."
"I can't get Covid because I'm not going to the gym."
"I can't possibly have spread Covid because I wear a mask, I didn't get closer than 6 ft to anyone, and I don't touch anything unless it's with a paper towel."

None of those things are true. The only sure way you can not get or spread Covid is if you don't come into contact with any other human beings.

But, some people have decided they want to designate some activities as "safer" than others, and judge everyone else based on their arbitrary conclusions.

It's all about blaming someone else without having any accountability for our own actions.
Ronnie
AG
CDUB98 said:

cone said:

My sarcasm meter is on the fritz.
I think it was meant as sarcasm. On odd numbered pages of the thread, cone is rational and against the left wing narrative
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
Don't know why yall don't understand this. Politicians and coronabros aren't hypocrites. They simply know how to behave and how to take the precautions in public. Nobody else does so restrictions obviously need to be in place.
CDUB98
AG
htxag09 said:

Don't know why yall don't understand this. Politicians and coronabros aren't hypocrites. They simply know how to behave and how to take the precautions in public. Nobody else does so restrictions obviously need to be in place.

YOU AREN'T BEHAVING THE WAY I THINK YOU SHOULD, SO I'M GOING TO POINT THE GOVERNMENT GUN AT YOUR HEAD TO MAKE YOU SUBMIT!!
FalconAg06
So I now have a rapid positive and a rapid negative and a non existent PCR test, still with very low almost non existent symptoms.

This pcr test is garbage, took it Wednesday and still nothing back yet.
TXTransplant
Honestly in another 6 months to a year, I think most people are going to fall into one of two camps:

1) They had someone close to them die from covid (parent, spouses sibling, etc.), and they are going to continue to push the idea that this illness is completely preventable and their loved one would still be alive if everyone had worn a mask;

or

2) They were infected and recovered and are ready to move on with life as it was pre-virus (this may even apply to people who had more severe cases but survived).

And I'm sure there will be some celebrity Coronavirus "spokesperson" who will make PSAs to remind everyone how "deadly" this virus is. People will wear colored ribbons to "bring awareness" (what color will it be...I'm going with neon green), and at some point we will have "Coronavirus Awareness Month" where we will encourage random testing, will have mass, impersonal memorial services to "never forget those who died", and Southwest pilots will be allowed to wear specially colored ties instead of their usual ones.

Because, you know, just like AIDS, breast cancer, heart disease, and pregnancy loss, no one is "talking about it enough", so we need a celebrity to educate us and random people to tell us their sad stories about how their loved one died. Because you know, no one else has ever experienced such a tragic loss, and all these deaths are completely preventable.
LostInLA07
AG
You forgot the social media profile picture filters. They'll definitely have those as well.
TXTransplant
Oh, right. I'm off Facebook, so I forgot about that. I'm surprised we don't already have those!

Who do we think the celebrity spokesperson will be? Gotta figure Alyssa Milano is campaigning hard for the job, since, you know, Covid made her hair fall out.

But it should probably go to the wife of that Broadway actor who died.
Aggie71013
AG
TXTransplant said:

cone said:

None of those things are true. The only sure way you can not get or spread Covid is if you don't come into contact with any other human beings.

But, some people have decided they want to designate some activities as "safer" than others, and judge everyone else based on their arbitrary conclusions.

It's all about blaming someone else without having any accountability for our own actions.

The only way to not get it is obviously like you said to never see another human being which is unreasonable. To deny that some activities are safer than others though doesn't make sense. Everything we do as humans has a risk and that risk varies. Getting burned from throwing gas on a fire is obviously higher risk than sitting 10 feet away and just observing. I wouldn't go kiss a stranger on the street, but I'll go to the store with a mask on because the risk is low and is worth it to sustain some semblance of life.

I don't tell others what they should and shouldn't do, but do get a lot of crap from people who don't believe corona is a real problem for some people.
TXTransplant
You are correct that, in general, some activities are safer than others. But when it comes to specifically spreading this virus, that doesn't really seem to be the case. And you can lull yourself into a false sense of security by believing that it's true.

You can avoid restaurants, gyms, schools, or wherever else you think might be virus-infested all you want, but that doesn't mean you won't get it.

You can wear a mask and stay 6 ft away from people all you want, but that doesn't mean you won't get it.

The week of Thanksgiving and the weekend after was literally the most isolated I've been since May.

From Thanksgiving until I went back to work on Monday, I saw one friend, and went to my small group fitness class. I didn't go out shopping and I didn't see family (not specifically because of Covid - it just worked out that way).

Low risk: At work the week I got sick, I can count on one hand the number of people I had contact with for longer than a brief pass in the hallway. And we were all wearing masks and staying six feet apart.

Higher risk: I went to lunch with three coworkers the day before I had symptoms. Obviously, we took our masks off to eat, and we probably weren't quite 6 ft apart at the table. I didn't pass it to any of them.

Highest risk: The Tuesday before I got sick, I did visit a good friend at her home. I didn't pass it to her, either.

So, unless you are staying home and completely isolating, this idea that avoiding certain "high risk" activities will prevent you from getting sick is simply not true. Similarly, certain activities that people have deemed as "high risk" do not necessarily result in transmission of the virus.

Your analogy of throwing gasoline on a fire doesn't work for transmission of this virus, unless you go hang out in the Covid ward of a hospital.

The idea that some normal, every day activities like going to work, eating at a restaurant, or exercising in the same room as 5-6 other people are more "dangerous" than others is a joke. The idea that wearing a mask and staying 6ft apart prevents the virus from spreading is a joke.

Wash your hands. Give people their personal space. And expect that, at some point, you are probably going to get this virus.

Now, just given how many more cases are out there right now, I personally would avoid large crowds where people can't stay spaced apart. But being in large crowds isn't a "normal, every day activity" for most people.

BowSowy
AG
Damn, some of y'all must be getting paid by the word
gougler08
AG
So many words all of a sudden
cone
AG
hospitals in MoCo are full up, not taking transfers

those people must not be very moral
TXTransplant
cone said:

hospitals in MoCo are full up, not taking transfers

those people must not be very moral

This is the last update I got on Thursday. 29 people in the hospital are causing them to be "full-up"? Something doesn't make sense.

Data is from the MoCo Public Health, sent out by The Woodlands Township.

Montgomery County
20,252 Confirmed, +468
4,736 Active, +261
182 Deaths, +5
11,876 Recovered, +202
29 Hospitalized, -2

Confirmed by looking at the mcphd-tx.org that the data is for all of Montgomery County, which has a population of roughly 600k.

Edit: So 31 RESIDENTS of the county are hospitalized. Evidently, hospitals have a total of 156 Covid patients and 30 are in ICU. Looks like residents of surrounding counties have filled up the hospitals.
CDUB98
AG
BowSowy said:

Damn, some of y'all must be getting paid by the word

TXT is a woman. What do expect?
cone
AG
I'm just relaying the facts on the ground as of last night
Onceaggie2.0
LOL still with hospitals are full narrative. sigh
cone
AG
they haven't canceled elective procedures so there's still that
TXTransplant
More info/numbers:

According to information from SouthEast Texas Regional Advisory Council, as of Dec. 2,
14.1% of general hospital beds are in use by COVID-19 patients in Montgomery County hospitals;
26.5% of ICU beds are in use by COVID-19 patients;
and the overall percentage for both general and ICU beds is 15.8%.

According to Gov. Greg Abbott's executive order GA-32, if the number of COVID-19 patients is greater than 15% of hospital beds in a trauma service area for seven consecutive days, businesses must reduce capacity to 50%.

The trauma service area in which Montgomery County is located, which also includes Harris County, has not yet exceeded the 15% threshold, according to information from SETRAC.

source: https://communityimpact.com/houston/the-woodlands/government/2020/12/03/covid-19-patients-in-more-than-15-of-montgomery-county-hospital-beds-free-testing-seeing-demand-in-the-woodlands/
First Page Last Page
Page 317 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.