Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,505,673 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CFT nailed it

And I never said it was far fetched. All I said was we've been hearing unsubstantiated rumors about another shutdown for almost a week now.
Post removed:
by user
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Perhaps the lack of giant closely packed mobs over the last few weeks has helped.
BohunkAg
AG
Sasappis said:

Hospitalizations flattening is a big deal.

This thing is not like a light switch where what you do today immediately impacts tomorrow. There is a lag and it looks like the get serious message of a couple of weeks ago is having a positive effect today.

Hopefully the flat hospitalization trend keeps going and even starts to decline.
Well that's been the problem this whole time....everyone wants a "now" solution. And there's not one.
TXTransplant
Sasappis said:

This thing is not like a light switch where what you do today immediately impacts tomorrow. There is a lag and it looks like the get serious message of a couple of weeks ago is having a positive effect today.

Hopefully the flat hospitalization trend keeps going and even starts to decline.

Let's just hope people continued to "get the message" through the 4th of July holiday.

I think, depending on what is going on, we are going to continue to see peaks and valleys in these rates (hopefully with overall rate trending down over the long term).

But this back and forth of opening things up, then the chicken littles decrying that the sky is falling when numbers go up, only to have the conspiracy theorists say "Oh, look, everything is fine! Open everything back up!" when the numbers start to trend back down is not sustainable.

And it's part of the reason why people are acting so crazy. There seems to be no middle ground on this (at least not in public discourse) - you're either a Virus Denier or a Boy Who Cried Wolf. And neither persona has any effect on the other, except to make people dig into their ridiculously extreme viewpoints even harder.
LostInLA07
AG
I think we are getting to the point now where the first "wave" of people who entered this hospital are being discharged, which will help somewhat moderate the growth in hospital utilization...
aTm2004
AG
Sasappis said:

This thing is not like a light switch where what you do today immediately impacts tomorrow. There is a lag and it looks like the get serious message of a couple of weeks ago is having a positive effect today increases from the protests and funeral are beginning to run it's course.

fify
aTm2004
AG
BohunkAg said:

Sasappis said:

Well that's been the problem this whole time....everyone wants a "now" solution. And there's not one.
"2 more weeks" isn't a solution either.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

And it's part of the reason why people are acting so crazy. There seems to be no middle ground on this (at least not in public discourse) - you're either a Virus Denier or a Boy Who Cried Wolf. And neither persona has any effect on the other, except to make people dig into their ridiculously extreme viewpoints even harder.

I think that was accurate back in March and April. But now, we have enough data and a much better understanding of it that you're now either a Facts person or Feels person.
Post removed:
by user
cajunaggie08
AG
Number of new cases and percentage of positive tests are going up. Is that a fact or a feeling? Or is this continued increase due to 4th of july gatherings or continued protests.

cajunaggie08
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

As long as Texans wear masks*

Everywhere I go indoors where they are required compliance is nearly 100%.
Now if people would take the stay at home warnings seriously and actually think twice about who they are socializing around.
Irish 2.0
cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

Now if people would take the stay at home warnings seriously and actually think twice about who they are socializing around.
Your incessant drum beating of the stay at home crap leads me to believe you have no idea what these SAH and lockdowns have done to people's mental health.
schmendeler
AG
if "stay at home" is crap, then why the need to point to the protests every time the rise in cases is discussed? the aggregate population of 30 million people in texas not staying at home dwarfs the number of people that were at protests.
Ag_07
AG
For me cases mean nothing. Especially since we're finding out that there are WAY more asymptomatic cases than originally thought.

I think Hospitalizations are the better indicator of the situation.

But I'm not an expert. I just don't get worked up on number of cases when we're seeing so many cases with no to mild symptoms.
Ag_07
AG
Because there's a difference in going somewhere (restaurant, retail store, recreation) that's at 50% capacity and social distancing and 60k people standing shoulder to shoulder marching and screaming.

It's not the same
cajunaggie08
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

People aren't going to stop living their life. I know I'm not, shut down or not.
And you dont have to completely stop. I have friends who i socialize with. They also work from home and only go out to stores occasionally when they need to pick something up. I consider that an acceptable risk. I choose not to get close to friends and family that are seeing other friends and other family. I realize that may be extreme but its kept us from being exposed so far.
ChemAg15
AG
Not to mention the hypocrisy from our elected officials who took a timeout from the pandemic to pander and race bait
BohunkAg
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Number of new cases and percentage of positive tests are going up. Is that a fact or a feeling? Or is this continued increase due to 4th of july gatherings or continued protests.

PERCENTAGE OF POSITIVE TESTS IS A MEANINGLESS STAT
schmendeler
AG
Ag_07 said:

Because there's a difference in going somewhere (restaurant, retail store, recreation) that's at 50% capacity and social distancing and 60k people standing shoulder to shoulder marching and screaming.

It's not the same
it's not identical, but it's not completely different, either. i know it's human nature to want to to point to other people as the problem, but i guarantee you a lot more than 60k people were out at the beaches and lakes and whatever else in addition to the protests.
cajunaggie08
AG
CreakinDeacon said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

Your incessant drum beating of the stay at home crap leads me to believe you have no idea what these SAH and lockdowns have done to people's mental health.
Of course i do! My best friend is stuck out on the west coast with no social circle and not being able to see other people is taking its toll on him. I try to call him daily.

We did a lock down back in march/april. We never got the numbers to decrease. The best we did was flatten it out. People were still socializing then. It is possible to continue to socialize and not put yourself at risk for becoming covid positive if you think twice about who you are around. If you have a friend or relative who sees a different group of friends every few days, its not a matter of if, but when he catches it and introduces it to your social circle.
Fitch
AG
BohunkAg said:

cajunaggie08 said:

PERCENTAGE OF POSITIVE TESTS IS A MEANINGLESS STAT
How so?
JYDog90
AG
aTm2004 said:

Quote:

I think that was accurate back in March and April. But now, we have enough data and a much better understanding of it that you're now either a Facts person or Feels person.
It seems to me that it's much more a "you have your facts, I have my facts" scenario
cajunaggie08
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

People aren't going to stop living their life. I know I'm not, shut down or not.
And you dont have to completely stop. I have friends who i socialize with. They also work from home and only go out to stores occasionally when they need to pick something up. I consider that an acceptable risk. I choose not to get close to friends and family that are seeing other friends and other family. I realize that may be extreme but its kept us from being exposed so far.

It's not necessarily what has kept you safe so far. About 1% of Americans have tested positive and 99% haven't, but good job.
I turned down going to my parents' house for the 4th because I told them that they and my siblings weren't being safe about distancing. That pissed them of pretty quickly and I got the spiel about "deaths are down" and "you can pick it up anywhere." 3 days later they both test positive. So ya, i think it did keep me and my family safe.
SirLurksALot
cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

Good luck continuing your sheltered lifestyle for the months and years to come. The rest of us will accept the minuscule risk of death and actually enjoy life.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

It's not necessarily what has kept you safe so far. About 1% of Americans have tested positive and 99% haven't, but good job.
I turned down going to my parents' house for the 4th because I told them that they and my siblings weren't being safe about distancing. That pissed them of pretty quickly and I got the spiel about "deaths are down" and "you can pick it up anywhere." 3 days later they both test positive. So ya, i think it did keep me and my family safe.

Wow. They really had it coming. You showed them.
Jet Black
I haven't changed a thing. Restaurants, bars before they ridiculously closed, seen my parents, seen friends, going to the store, etc. I'm feeling fine.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Jet Black said:

I haven't changed a thing. Restaurants, bars before they ridiculously closed, seen my parents, seen friends, going to the store, etc. I'm feeling fine.
To be fair, instead of working from my office, I now work on what is effectively a glorified TV tray as needed. Used to be that showing up sober and wearing pants was a win. Since I'm in my home, the pants part of that equation is no longer in play.

But otherwise, pretty much the same.
First Page Last Page
Page 202 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.