Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,754 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SirLurksALot said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

As long as Texans wear masks*

Everywhere I go indoors where they are required compliance is nearly 100%.
Now if people would take the stay at home warnings seriously and actually think twice about who they are socializing around.

People aren't going to stop living their life. I know I'm not, shut down or not.
And you dont have to completely stop. I have friends who i socialize with. They also work from home and only go out to stores occasionally when they need to pick something up. I consider that an acceptable risk. I choose not to get close to friends and family that are seeing other friends and other family. I realize that may be extreme but its kept us from being exposed so far.

Good luck continuing your sheltered lifestyle for the months and years to come. The rest of us will accept the minuscule risk of death and actually enjoy life.
I have a immunocompromised wife. I don't see any other choice I have without rolling the dice and hoping God lets her be one of the asymptomatic cases.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

SirLurksALot said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

Now if people would take the stay at home warnings seriously and actually think twice about who they are socializing around.

People aren't going to stop living their life. I know I'm not, shut down or not.
And you dont have to completely stop. I have friends who i socialize with. They also work from home and only go out to stores occasionally when they need to pick something up. I consider that an acceptable risk. I choose not to get close to friends and family that are seeing other friends and other family. I realize that may be extreme but its kept us from being exposed so far.

Good luck continuing your sheltered lifestyle for the months and years to come. The rest of us will accept the minuscule risk of death and actually enjoy life.
I have a immunocompromised wife. I don't see any other choice I have without rolling the dice and hoping God lets her be one of the asymptomatic cases.
Well that sucks for her/yall, and she should probably be protected along with nursing homes.

But perhaps it's about time to stop telling others how they should be addressing their own risk tolerances?
SirLurksALot
cajunaggie08 said:

SirLurksALot said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

You make it sound like it's a 50/50 proposition. Even for the people with pre-existing conditions the risk is low if they're under 65.

You do what you feel is best for you and your family and the rest of us will do the same. For me that means living normally and without fear of a mild illness.
schmendeler
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SirLurksALot said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

Well that sucks for her/yall, and she should probably be protected along with nursing homes.

But perhaps it's about time to stop telling others how they should be addressing their own risk tolerances?
you realize the other poster was mocking him and telling him he's living a sheltered life and that others will simply "enjoy life" right?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
schmendeler said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SirLurksALot said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

you realize the other poster was mocking him and telling him he's living a sheltered life and that others will simply "enjoy life" right?
i realize everything
SirLurksALot
schmendeler said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SirLurksALot said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

Only after he tried to shame people who aren't living sheltered like him.
schmendeler
AG
SirLurksALot said:

schmendeler said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SirLurksALot said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

can you point to the "shaming"?

this is what you replied directly to:

"And you dont have to completely stop. I have friends who i socialize with. They also work from home and only go out to stores occasionally when they need to pick something up. I consider that an acceptable risk. I choose not to get close to friends and family that are seeing other friends and other family. I realize that may be extreme but its kept us from being exposed so far."

you seem pretty fragile if that is shaming you.
aTm2004
AG
I'm not going to acknowledge that because it doesn't fit my narrative, much like acknowledging the protests and funeral didn't fit the politicians narrative. See how this works? I should run for office.

The truth is the virus is going to spread, and there's nothing any of us can do about it. Mask/no mask, stay indoors/go live life, etc. We now have a much better understanding and should be able to identify those at higher risk and let them know. We also have many more people who have it with little to no symptoms. The death rate is also dropping. Couple that with school administrators having to deal with the Karens who ignore thousands of pediatricians saying kids need to be back in school in the fall, and you have facts vs feelings. We have other countries returning to normal and not seeing any huge outbreaks, yet here we are with the media having a generational orgasm trying to get a guy who can't remember what he had for lunch into office.
FHKChE07
AG
Because so many of the worried well we're trying to get tested that there were not enough tests so places started restricting testing back to those that were the most symptomatic. So of course the testing is going to much higher numbers of positives. Plus, the number of places that have someone test positive so the whole office has to test regardless of whether they have symptoms or not. There you are picking up cases but of people who are asymptomatic or mild symptoms. Percent positive is totally at the whim of how many people want to get tested. It is a meaningless stat that has artificial restrictions set on it.
SirLurksALot
schmendeler said:

SirLurksALot said:

schmendeler said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SirLurksALot said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

"And you dont have to completely stop. I have friends who i socialize with. They also work from home and only go out to stores occasionally when they need to pick something up. I consider that an acceptable risk. I choose not to get close to friends and family that are seeing other friends and other family. I realize that may be extreme but its kept us from being exposed so far."

Here you go. Try reading the thread.

cajunaggie08 said:

TXTransplant
Fitch said:

BohunkAg said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Number of new cases and percentage of positive tests are going up. Is that a fact or a feeling? Or is this continued increase due to 4th of july gatherings or continued protests.

PERCENTAGE OF POSITIVE TESTS IS A MEANINGLESS STAT
How so?

It's not any more a meaningless stat than it is a reason to panic.

Just observing the trends in daily case growth over time - it increased significantly and rapidly between roughly mid-May to mid-June. This should not surprise anyone in the least, as this is when we transitioned from nearly everything being shutdown to trying to get back to some sort of "normal" life.

Looking at the trends from mid-June to now - cases are still going up, but there is a lot more "noise" in the data, and the slope/rate isn't nearly as steep.

Again, for anyone with even half a brain, this shouldn't be a surprise. Cases are increasing because, as long as there is a virus, people will get it. And things aren't shutdown, so we're interacting with more people more often.

The other two stats we should be looking at are hospitalizations and death rates. But if hospitals can manage (i.e., enough PPE, staff, and beds), then there is no need to panic. It might be uncomfortable for them for a while, but that's what happens when you have an outbreak of a new virus.

Deaths are lagging way behind, but we aren't Italy or NYC, with refrigerated trucks acting as makeshift morgues in hospital parking lots.

But for the love of all that is holy, people need to stop fear mongering and/or acting like this is all some huge conspiracy. Because it's neither. It's a public health issue that should have everyone concerned and willing to do their part to keep it from spreading.

aTm2004
AG
Willy Wonka said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

And it's part of the reason why people are acting so crazy. There seems to be no middle ground on this (at least not in public discourse) - you're either a Virus Denier or a Boy Who Cried Wolf. And neither persona has any effect on the other, except to make people dig into their ridiculously extreme viewpoints even harder.

I think that was accurate back in March and April. But now, we have enough data and a much better understanding of it that you're now either a Facts person or Feels person.
It seems to me that it's much more a "you have your facts, I have my facts" scenario
How so? That 99% of the population hasn't had it? The fact that of the 1% that has, a very small number die? The fact that a "COVID hospitalization" is counted even if COVID isn't the reason someone is there (this is per Dr Birx and spokesman for the Texas Department of State Health Services)? Or the fact that places in Florida were submitting 100% positive cases (right around the time the RNC was announced to be moving there) and got caught?
aTm2004
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

It's not necessarily what has kept you safe so far. About 1% of Americans have tested positive and 99% haven't, but good job.
I turned down going to my parents' house for the 4th because I told them that they and my siblings weren't being safe about distancing. That pissed them of pretty quickly and I got the spiel about "deaths are down" and "you can pick it up anywhere." 3 days later they both test positive. So ya, i think it did keep me and my family safe.
What color medal do you want? Chocolate chip or Oatmeal Raisin cookie to go with it?
schmendeler
AG
SirLurksALot said:

schmendeler said:

SirLurksALot said:

schmendeler said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SirLurksALot said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

cajunaggie08 said:

once again, you take that as shaming? seems like a pretty basic set of guidelines to try to navigate this thing with minimal harm to yourself and others. but apparently even suggesting that is too much for some.

wow.
cone
AG
wow
cajunaggie08
AG
aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

It's not necessarily what has kept you safe so far. About 1% of Americans have tested positive and 99% haven't, but good job.
I turned down going to my parents' house for the 4th because I told them that they and my siblings weren't being safe about distancing. That pissed them of pretty quickly and I got the spiel about "deaths are down" and "you can pick it up anywhere." 3 days later they both test positive. So ya, i think it did keep me and my family safe.
What color medal do you want? Chocolate chip or Oatmeal Raisin cookie to go with it?

Chocolate chip medal and cookie please.
aTm2004
AG
blindey said:

Jet Black said:

I haven't changed a thing. Restaurants, bars before they ridiculously closed, seen my parents, seen friends, going to the store, etc. I'm feeling fine.
To be fair, instead of working from my office, I now work on what is effectively a glorified TV tray as needed. Used to be that showing up sober and wearing pants was a win. Since I'm in my home, the pants part of that equation is no longer in play.

But otherwise, pretty much the same.
I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've worn something beside as dri-fit shirt, basketball shorts, and flip flops since work sent us all to WFH. It's awesome!
TXTransplant
Seriously, give it a rest.

The guy is doing what he thinks is best for his family, just like you are yours.
ChemAg15
AG
EVERYONES AN IDIOT EXCEPT FOR ME
aTm2004
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

Chocolate chip medal and cookie please.
aTm2004
AG
TXTransplant said:

Seriously, give it a rest.

The guy is doing what he thinks is best for his family, just like you are yours.
Seriously, he decides to mention his wife well after that post, which I hadn't gotten to when I responded. Just reading what I responded to and not knowing about his wife, not visiting your parents, IMO, isn't doing what's best for your family.
aTm2004
AG
ChemAg15 said:

AND EVERYONE SHOULD CARPOOL, EXCEPT FOR ME!
SirLurksALot
schmendeler said:

SirLurksALot said:

schmendeler said:

SirLurksALot said:

schmendeler said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SirLurksALot said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

cajunaggie08 said:

once again, you take that as shaming? seems like a pretty basic set of guidelines to try to navigate this thing with minimal harm to yourself and others. but apparently even suggesting that is too much for some.

wow.

Covid is a mild Illness and needs to be treated accordingly. Stay at home orders and other restrictions are forcing millions to be unemployedl and causing other negative outcomes. There's no reason to force that kind of suffering for this disease. The benefit isn't worth the cost.

If someone wants to live in fear of covid then that is their choice. Just don't expect others to do the same.
BohunkAg
AG
TXTransplant said:

Fitch said:

BohunkAg said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Number of new cases and percentage of positive tests are going up. Is that a fact or a feeling? Or is this continued increase due to 4th of july gatherings or continued protests.

PERCENTAGE OF POSITIVE TESTS IS A MEANINGLESS STAT
How so?

It's not any more a meaningless stat than it is a reason to panic.

Just observing the trends in daily case growth over time - it increased significantly and rapidly between roughly mid-May to mid-June. This should not surprise anyone in the least, as this is when we transitioned from nearly everything being shutdown to trying to get back to some sort of "normal" life.

Looking at the trends from mid-June to now - cases are still going up, but there is a lot more "noise" in the data, and the slope/rate isn't nearly as steep.

Again, for anyone with even half a brain, this shouldn't be a surprise. Cases are increasing because, as long as there is a virus, people will get it. And things are shutdown, so we're interacting with more people more often.

The other two stats we should be looking at are hospitalizations and death rates. But if hospitals can manage (i.e., enough PPE, staff, and beds), then there is no need to panic. It might be uncomfortable for them for a while, but that's what happens when you have an outbreak of a new virus.

Deaths are lagging way behind, but we aren't Italy or NYC, with refrigerated trucks acting as makeshift morgues in hospital parking lots.

But for the love of all that is holy, people need to stop fear mongering and/or acting like this is all some huge conspiracy. Because it's neither. It's a public health issue that should have everyone concerned and willing to do their part to keep it from spreading.

This is a better explanation than I was able to give. Thank you. What I should have said is that there will be fluctuations in percentage positive based on who is being tested, the number of people being tested, etc. To use "percent positive" as a standalone metric is not a good idea. There are many factors at play. What has absolutely beaten me down to the point of exhaustion during this is all of the media outlets (and everyone else) tweeting out a single thing (or even writing a story about it) as a "gotcha" on why their point is correct.
TXTransplant
Meh, mentioning his wife shouldn't matter.

I've got family members who I've been more than happy to avoid under the guise of "protecting them from coronavirus".

Don't be so quick to judge. We're all dealing with something.
cajunaggie08
AG
SirLurksALot said:

schmendeler said:

SirLurksALot said:

schmendeler said:

SirLurksALot said:

schmendeler said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SirLurksALot said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

third coast.. said:

cajunaggie08 said:

wow.

Covid is a mild Illness and needs to be treated accordingly. Stay at home orders and other restrictions are forcing millions to be unemployedl and causing other negative outcomes. There's no reason to force that kind of suffering for this disease. The benefit isn't worth the cost.

If someone wants to live in fear of covid then that is their choice. Just don't expect others to do the same.
Yes it is mild and/or undetectable in a large percentage of those who carry the virus. That does not make it a mild illness. The percentage of those who do have bad cases of it combined with its relatively high contagious rate make it something that has put high strain on the local health care system. I believe that if people keep living life like nothing is wrong, we will reach a breaking point for the health care system where people will die because of a lack of staff or beds.

I am not advocating for a stay at home order. I used to, but after what happened back in spring I see that there are too many exceptions to make it effective along with no way to enforce it. The damage was done to the economy and we got to kick the outbreak can down the road a few months. I just wish people would treat the outbreak seriously and think about who they could be putting at risk. Yea 1/100 is low odds. But 100 interactions is not that far fetched for many.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Thank you. Finally someone gets it.

What an idiot.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
AgLiving06
I hope we appreciate the amount of damage that this decision is going to cause students, and especially those of minority and lower income status.

We will feel the effects of these poor decisions for years.
TXTransplant
I'm with you. If anything, this whole situation has made me think twice about what I want vs what I need. I was a little bit of a loner anyway, but I do think about where I'm going and who I might put at risk because of that.

I certainly haven't become a hermit, but I've become even more selective about who I spend time with. And I am 100% transparent with anyone who I come in close contact with. In some cases, I make the decision to avoid contact for a period of time, and in others, I tell the other person where I've been/who I've been around and let them decide.

With one exception, I have had complete respect for what anyone else decides is best for themselves and their family.

I was thinking about it last night, and when I'm not WFH, I probably come in contact with (maybe "close" contact, maybe not) 20 different people in one day. When I'm WFH, that number is probably 10 (typically from the exercise class I attend).

Whether that number is high or low, I think it's important to at least think about it. Just like I think it's important to give family and friends a heads up and let them decide for themselves if they want to spend time with me. I'm certainly not offended if they say no.
TXTransplant
AgLiving06 said:

I hope we appreciate the amount of damage that this decision is going to cause students, and especially those of minority and lower income status.

We will feel the effects of these poor decisions for years.

This. I cannot believe more people aren't talking about the privilege associated with the decision to keep schools closed.
BohunkAg
AG
TXTransplant said:

Don't be so quick to judge. We're all dealing with something.
TXTransplant
That was just as much a reminder to myself as it was advice to anyone else. This is def something I need to work on.
NASAg03
bearkatag15 said:

Also disproportionately affects the poor as they are less likely to work from home and must now leave their kids alone or pay for child care.

Very myopic decision.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
BohunkAg
AG
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/schools-coronavirus-infection-rate-low-german-study-finds.html
First Page Last Page
Page 203 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.