Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,503,526 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BarryProfit said:

Carl needs to consider the concept of "outliers" before declaring the peak over 14 days ago. look at the fairly consistent daily numbers since then.
corndog04
AG
schmendeler said:

BarryProfit said:

Carl needs to consider the concept of "outliers" before declaring the peak over 14 days ago. look at the fairly consistent daily numbers since then.

Yup, it's pretty lazy and/or ignorant analysis to make any conclusions without averaging out the data. The 6/29 "peak" is bogus, the majority of that is from Houston and actually represents 2 days of results.

On the bright side, it looks like the rate of growth has certainly slowed for now. And, it's entirely possible that Houston has peaked but just not as early or significantly as Carl wants to believe.
cone
AG
you mean FUNDSTRAT

Carl is just signal boosting or pumping or however you want to frame it
corndog04
AG
Tried plotting Harris County 7-day MA of new cases.

Current peak does in fact hold as 6/29.

schmendeler
AG
that outlier occurs on 6/19, not 6/29, FYI.
LostInLA07
AG
I didn't realize the state republican convention is in Houston July 17-19. That explains why Abbot only banned outdoor gatherings. No way he gives Lina authority to shut that down. Also explains why she is pushing so hard for that authority right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes on announcement on July 20th though.
corndog04
AG
schmendeler said:

What a misleading arrow/label, totally missed that but obvious from the x-axis. Here's Houston's tweet from that day

jh0400
AG
Anecdotal at best, but my wife's clinic group has been busier in the last week than they were back in April with positives. They have a backlog of people waiting to be tested of around a week with results back in a couple of days. Based on what I've heard I'd be surprised if there wasn't an uptick reported in the next week or so.
TarponChaser
corndog04 said:

schmendeler said:

What a misleading arrow/label, totally missed that but obvious from the x-axis. Here's Houston's tweet from that day

Is that Houston by itself or Harris & surrounding counties?
Fitch
AG
Houston (the city) alone. They combine it with the county in the "Harris County" reporting, and then Greater Houston is the nine-county region.
TarponChaser
So, under 12,000 cases in a population of 2MM people? Meaning 0.6% of the population have tested positive...
corndog04
AG
TarponChaser said:

So, under 12,000 cases in a population of 2MM people? Meaning 0.6% of the population have tested positive...

That was from 6/19. It's a little more than 24k now.
TarponChaser
corndog04 said:

TarponChaser said:

As of yesterday in the greater Houston area, per the link below, we're at just below 51,000 total positive cases and a total population of about 7,066,000 which is 0.7%.

Whoop-dee-do.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/infection-rate-in-the-greater-houston-area/
Fitch
AG

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
TarponChaser said:

corndog04 said:

TarponChaser said:

As of yesterday in the greater Houston area, per the link below, we're at just below 51,000 total positive cases and a total population of about 7,066,000 which is 0.7%.

Whoop-dee-do.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/infection-rate-in-the-greater-houston-area/

meanwhile.....

bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
corndog04
AG

Not shockingly, all 5 deaths are olds with preexisting conditions.

Edit: hard to interpret the Harris County dashboard, I think they've got some screwed up numbers. Showing 2.5k cases today for the county, but I think that might be inclusive of both today and yesterday's Houston numbers (about 2k total) along with today's rest-of-county (about 500 total).
lunchbox
TEA released school re-opening guidance today.

Summary...

• In order to receive funding for virtual students, the school building has to be open for those who want to go.
  • The bldg has to be open 5 days a week for anyone that wants it - that ruins lots of plans already announced around the state for every other day, etc.
  • You can't limit the number of students in a bldg. if every family wants to send their kid to school, they have to take them.
  • The first 3 weeks can be used to phase in in-person learning.
  • If there is a positive in the a school bldg, you can only close it for up to 5 days to clean. This can be superseded if the Governor shuts things down.
  • Social distancing not mandatory, just recommended.
  • Masks required for students 10+ due to Abbott's order last week.
  • No guidance for how to handle staff/students who come down with COVID.

So...I would think a lot of ISDs are tossing out their plans and going back to the drawing board.
SirLurksALot
lunchbox said:

Summary...

• In order to receive funding for virtual students, the school building has to be open for those who want to go.
  • The bldg has to be open 5 days a week for anyone that wants it - that ruins lots of plans already announced around the state for every other day, etc.
  • You can't limit the number of students in a bldg. if every family wants to send their kid to school, they have to take them.
  • If there is a positive in the a school bldg, you can only close it for up to 5 days to clean. This can be superseded if the Governor shuts things down.

So...I would think a lot of ISDs are tossing out their plans and going back to the drawing board.

Good. Maybe once kids go back to school and nothing happens people will finally get over their irrational hysteria.
gougler08
AG
lunchbox said:

Summary...

Good on the TEA...my kid is heading to school day 1
tylercsbn9
AG
Reddit already up in arms

What a collective group of *******
mnetop
AG
Well worth reading below. Really good explanation of the "surge" numbers with great comparison graphs, etc. And how it compares with what NY/NJ/Northeast experienced in March/April.

https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed/horowitz-the-medias-coronavirus-con-would-you-rather-be-florida-texas-or-ny-nj?utm_source=theblaze-breaking&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200707Trending-HorowitzNYNJTXAZ&utm_term=ACTIVE%20LIST%20-%20TheBlaze%20Breaking%20News
SirLurksALot
tylercsbn9 said:

I truly believe there is a significant number of people that are perfectly happy with the restrictions and want them to continue into perpetuity.
Unemployed
AG
SirLurksALot said:

tylercsbn9 said:

I truly believe there is a significant number of people that are perfectly happy with the restrictions and want them to continue into perpetuity.
That's because most of them are still sucking on their parents' teats. They have no kids to support, no rent or bills to pay, etc.
Ag_07
AG
SirLurksALot said:

tylercsbn9 said:

They're called democrats and I bet none of them will give a shlt once November 12 passes.
Bockaneer
AG
Unfortunately lots of people don't want their "vacation" to end.
ChampagneAg
AG
What world do y'all live in?
cone
AG
it figures that you're a redditor
Velvet Jones
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Michael is someone who supports, aids and abets Chinese grad students stealing IP and research from US universities, including Texas A&M University and the University of Texas.

Of course he's upset this week.
SirLurksALot
ChampagneAg said:

What world do y'all live in?

The real one. Where I am able to recognize the fact that we are doing unnecessary harm to the people of this country all in some doomed effort to prevent the spread of a mild illness.

Even under the unrealistic worst case scenario 99.5% of the country would still survive. There is absolutely no reason to keep any restrictions in place other than irrational fear.
ChampagneAg
AG
Where do you get this from?
ChampagneAg
AG
Not on reddit. Just live in the real world.
SirLurksALot
By looking at the outcomes of the virus that are publicly available. The rest is common sense.

If you're asking specifically about the 99.5%. That comes from the study from the UK back in March. They predicted 2 million deaths in a do nothing scenario (although they admitted their prediction was unrealistically high).

2 million divided by 330 million = .6%

So we're destroying lives for something that everyone agrees 99% of the country will live through. Sounds like a real smart plan.
ChampagneAg
ChampagneAg
AG
Your solution to avoid destroying lives is to let people die? Just so I'm clear.
First Page Last Page
Page 187 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.