Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,512,641 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Ciboag96
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or the media can actually report the facts instead of focusing on the deaths to show it's not as bad as thought, so people shouldn't be scared to live a normal life as long as they use the same common sense hygiene approach they should be doing for other viruses/bacteria.
aTm2004
AG
If companies call people back but expect them to wear masks all day, they should just extend the WFH.
XpressAg09
AG
I have a hard time believing Louisiana has an earlier 'relaxation date' than Texas based on their "outbreaks" a few weeks ago. After all, Texas was requiring travelers from Louisiana to self-quarantine...
drumboy
AG
aTm2004 said:

If companies call people back but expect them to wear masks all day, they should just extend the WFH.
My company is prepping to call folks back and they said you only need to wear them in common areas where you'd expect to be anywhere near people.
TXTransplant
Yep, I posted a few pages back about a friend who has to go back on May 1. Her company is requiring everyone wear surgical or N95 masks. They ordered some but they won't arrive until May 11. So, in the meantime, employees have to provide their own.
ChipFTAC01
AG
It's gonna be tough to go back to a everyone back in the office mode when schools are closed.
aTm2004
AG
I'd just hole up at my desk and not go anywhere that isn't the restroom.
cone
AG
that would be helpful, especially translations of the serology tests

for example, hospitalization rate is NYC might be as low as 5% across the board

that's always what has separated this bug from flu perceptions - that maybe a 20% shot of you ending up in the hospital (flu hospitalization is low single digits)

but the fog of war perception is baked in now, regardless

you have to give people confidence. they can get it back slowly via observation of hospitalization rates staying low (an indicator that low be a month in lag) or you can sentinel test and publish results in a day or two lag

if it's the economy stupid, mass testing is absolutely key. at least until it's shown that current levels of economic production don't result in epidemic.
Fitch
AG
Same here. Only thing I can think of is the sharpness of "the peak" does accelerate the drop in new cases. Texas did a good job of flattening it out but at the trade off of elongating it.
cone
AG
that's a decent trade when we go from holy **** we don't have enough vents to holy **** vents don't work and might be harmful compared to an alternative in a month
gougler08
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

It's gonna be tough to go back to a everyone back in the office mode when schools are closed.

In May agreed, but I assume people work during the summer break period most years so I'd expect people back by then at latest
TXTransplant
gougler08 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

In May agreed, but I assume people work during the summer break period most years so I'd expect people back by then at latest

Depends on if summer day camps open up. The YMCA provides a lot of summer childcare. I haven't heard anything from them about reopening (I'm a member).
ChipFTAC01
AG
gougler08 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Well, unless all of the summer camps that working parents rely on to get their school age kids through the summer are closed.
aTm2004
AG
True. People do need that confidence, and giving them the actual facts and not cherry-picked data to push a narrative would do that. There will still be people out there scared who will continue to think the end is near, but they're the types that do this for everything so pay them no mind. A large majority of people will see it's not as bad as they thought and begin to live a normal life. They may take some extra precautions the first couple of weeks, but by June, this will be a distant memory.
Caliber
AG
TXTransplant said:

gougler08 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Depends on if summer day camps open up. The YMCA provides a lot of summer childcare. I haven't heard anything from them about reopening (I'm a member).
Exactly... Most of the normal options are still not allowed. Lots of people rely on camps, grandparents and all sorts of other options that are available at the moment.
gougler08
AG
True, I guess I'm assuming these type of businesses will have to reopen at some point
cone
AG
it won't be a memory

because we're going to be masked up in public for the next 12 months

we're not close to herd immunity here so we're going to get spread and have hospitalizations

we are maybe five months from a low production volume of prophylactic antibody treatments. If that treatment hits in tests, then that will be likely as close to an all clear we're going to get this year. Paranoia would break up majorly on that news BUT we'll still be masked up.

Church doesn't come back and masks don't go away until a mass produced booster is available.
IrishTxAggie
AG
cone said:

it won't be a memory

we're not close to herd immunity here so we're going to get spread and have hospitalizations

we are maybe five months from a low production volume of prophylactic antibody treatments. If that treatment hits in tests, then that will be likely as close to an all clear we're going to get this year. Paranoia would break up majorly on that news BUT we'll still be masked up.

Church doesn't come back and masks don't go away until a mass produced booster is available.
cone
AG
I mean you don't have to do it I guess

but it's part of the equation for economic confidence

ignore it at our collective detriment
Texaggie7nine
The economy is paramount, unless saving it means I have to look stupid.
7nine
IrishTxAggie
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

The economy is paramount, unless saving it means I have to look stupid.
Masks are stupid. People in China wear them all the time and guess what; They still get sick and got the virus and spread it to everyone. Y'all's false sense of security that comes with wearing a t-shirt over your face is laughable.
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

it won't be a memory

No, no we won't. I'll be sitting in the church pew, no mask, in June.
Texaggie7nine
South Korea and Japan aren't wearing tshirts over their faces
7nine
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

I mean you don't have to do it I guess

but it's part of the equation for economic confidence

ignore it at our collective detriment
You'd fit right in over in China, where society is above the individual.
Ag_07
AG
aTm2004
AG
I'm not wrong. We value both a strong society and individual rights, and there's a balance on which we give up to benefit the other. In China, they willingly give up their rights to benefit society.
cone
AG
oh well

i tried to be positive about how small changes could bring us back to a level of confidence outside of some tech miracle

but **** you commie
IrishTxAggie
AG
cone said:

oh well

i tried to be positive about how small changes could bring us back to a level of confidence outside of some tech miracle

but **** you commie
Small changes?? Keeping restaurants and bars closed indefinitely or reducing capacity to 30% is a small freaking change to you???
cone
AG
texags 1942

**** you commie with this rationing nonsense

ill take what i want when i want it cuz i've got the fair asking price right here

if you plant a victory garden, you're no better than a soviet ****
cone
AG
i thought i was talking about masks

people won't even go into those places at keep the doors open volumes without consumer confidence in public health
Ezra Brooks
AG
gougler08 said:

I work for a major O&G and they're saying we probably WFH all of May at this point, just to be on the safe side. I take that to mean we're functioning fine as a company if not better
I work for a mid-size independent. And while I'm not involved with the Return to Work stuff, a couple of my teammates/boss are.

It's sounding like we will go in waves:

Wave 1 - critical ops and finance staff that need to close books, reserves, production stuff.
Wave 2 - other staff that is not mission critical
Wave 3 - remaining staff

I'm also told that Waves 1/2 will be on a rotational basis with never more than 20% of the office staff being in the office at all times....social distancing and mask requirements in effect.

It may be late summer or early fall before we have a full staff in the building all at once.
SabineAg
AG
Can y'all just sush!
cone
AG
done
IrishTxAggie
AG
cone said:

i thought i was talking about masks

people won't even go into those places at keep the doors open volumes without consumer confidence in public health

I'd walk into a bar without a masks, eat the bar nuts you're not supposed to touch, and drink a beer out of a glass that was only dipped in warm water to constitute it's cleanliness... You fail to grasp consumer sentiment
TXTransplant
Quote:

No, no we won't. I'll be sitting in the church pew, no mask, in June.

You Catholic? Because we got a lengthy letter from our parish priest today with the following statement:

"...so we continue to plan for how we might reopen things over the next few months."
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.