Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,684 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
HouAggie2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was weird how everyone was having rational conversation this morning. Glad we woke back up and took some crazy pills
gougler08
AG
I think the real bulk of consumer wants lies somewhere between cone's doom and gloom and Irish's full optimism. I can only speak to talking w/ my neighbors and friends but it seems that more often than not, people are ready to get out and do stuff as soon as things open
Unemployed
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

It was weird how everyone was having rational conversation this morning. Glad we woke back up and took some crazy pills
LOL I wonder who that was?
Daddy-O5
AG
gougler08 said:

I think the real bulk of consumer wants lies somewhere between cone's doom and gloom and Irish's full optimism. I can only speak to talking w/ my neighbors and friends but it seems that more often than not, people are ready to get out and do stuff as soon as things open
Generally agree, and judging by the weekend crowd at Lowe's most people don't really care right now.

And I'm not intending to go down the mask road in depth again, but I think if instead of requiring masks you emphasized that they were just an additional precaution on top of the already effective social distancing measures, that whole discussion/concern could much more easily be put to bed. This in lieu of a mandate that scares some people, more than it actually helps.
BowSowy
AG
cone said:

because we're going to be masked up in public for the next 12 months
cone
AG
and it's funny

I don't feel like wearing masks is doom and gloom at all

if that's the predominant cost, we are getting off pretty light
cone
AG
that said, ITL traffic is definitely picking up
Texaggie7nine
HouAggie2007 said:

We are Texans. We always start of with pleasantries.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
gougler08 said:

I think the real bulk of consumer wants lies somewhere between cone's doom and gloom and Irish's full optimism.
This is usually the case for pretty much anything political here.
7nine
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

i thought i was talking about masks

people won't even go into those places at keep the doors open volumes without consumer confidence in public health
We're not going to be wearing masks out in public for the next year. Sorry to break that news to you. Well, at least us who aren't scared of our own shadows won't. The fearful people of society probably will, but let's be honest, this was just the push into looneyville they needed to justify everything they've been resisting up to this point.
FHKChE07
AG
Considering some municipalities are already flying drones around to make sure that people are maintaining 6' distancing and don't have fevers or coughs, some people are worried about the overreach of the government.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/494330-connecticut-city-testing-drone-that-detects-fevers-coughs
aTm2004
AG
Nope. But once Abbott gives the OK for people to attend church, I fully anticipate our pastor to open things back up while also doing a webcast for those who are high risk and/or would prefer to stay at home. I also live in a very red district of Houston and I'm seeing more and more evidence each day that people are over this. Small block parties in the cul-de-sacs, kids playing around with neighborhood kids like normal, tons of cars on the roads, etc.
cone
AG
honestly never thought people would be so anti-mask during a droplet spread pandemic

good to know
aTm2004
AG
gougler08 said:

That's my feeling as well and what I get from our friends and family. We're tired of being cooped up in our homes and are ready to go walk around a retail store for some alone time, go to dinner with friends after a hard week at work, have a proper birthday party for our kids who don't understand why theirs was cancelled, etc. Some percentage of the population will take extra precautions, but I believe it'll be much smaller than many want to believe.
aTm2004
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

We're still having a rational conversation. I'm sorry that you don't like humor, jokes, or anything that isn't 100% strictly business to keep that stick up your butt feeling tight.
aTm2004
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

gougler08 said:

Generally agree, and judging by the weekend crowd at Lowe's most people don't really care right now.
I went to pick up some dessert for us last night from a restaurant, and on my way, my wife texted me to see if I could stop at Target to pick up something. Given the Target was a mile down the road and Walmart was literally across the street from where I was going, I decided to brave it and go to Walmart. It was like every other day at Walmart, but with some wearing masks.
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

gougler08 said:

I think the real bulk of consumer wants lies somewhere between cone's doom and gloom and Irish's full optimism.
Damn, did we agree?
aTm2004
AG
FHKChE07 said:

Considering some municipalities are already flying drones around to make sure that people are maintaining 6' distancing and don't have fevers or coughs, some people are worried about the overreach of the government.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/494330-connecticut-city-testing-drone-that-detects-fevers-coughs
Try that chit in Montgomery County and it'll be like dove season to them.
gougler08
AG
cone said:

and it's funny

I don't feel like wearing masks is doom and gloom at all

if that's the predominant cost, we are getting off pretty light
Wearing masks for a bit isn't doom and gloom...saying that we will be for a year and that we won't be able to go to church certainly is
Texaggie7nine
aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

gougler08 said:

Damn, did we agree?
The funny thing is, before the rona hit, I agreed with probably 90% of what you posted on f16. I am libertarian after all.
7nine
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

honestly never thought people would be so anti-mask during a droplet spread pandemic

good to know
A droplet spread pandemic where we learn more everyday that it's not as bad as we were led to believe by the number of people having the antibodies. A pandemic that spreads like every other virus/bacteria and isn't some super virus that spreads in a unique way. A pandemic where practicing common sense hygiene would go a long way.
IrishTxAggie
AG
The problem is that the goal posts are continuously being pushed further and further back. We have moved from "flatten the curve" to "must do everything possible to eliminate COVID deaths". We've all played nice and followed the rules for the last six weeks. I'll freely admit that I was wrong on how many deaths I thought this would cause (though I believe keeping people home all day didn't help matters). But it is time to move on and give us our lives back. This was about not overwhelming the healthcare system and we are well beyond that now. $60MM spent on equipment that will never be touched. The virus is going to run it's course. Time to accept it and move on.
cone
AG
I just say that about church because of what we know about epidemic spread with this pathogen and how it's generally non economic

it would be one of the last things to come back

just like how masks are so cost effective and personal they would be one of the last behaviors to ease
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

gougler08 said:

Damn, did we agree?
The funny thing is, before the rona hit, I agreed with probably 90% of what you posted on f16. I am libertarian after all.
We'll, I've never met someone who agrees 100% with me, nor do I want to. Disagreement is good for everyone.
TarponChaser
cone said:

good to know

Because the mask is nothing more than a false sense of security.

Go out in public and look at people. First of all, the ones wearing actual filtration masks are a decided minority compared to those simply wearing bandanans, homemade cotton masks, or the sort of sun masks like a Buff. Then, watch the actions of these people- probably 80% or more are consistently wearing them such that their nose is not covered. They're constantly moving them up & down. They're breathing into them and the "droplets" are soaking through, then they touch their mask with their gloved hands (gloves mind you they have worn all day and never changed) and then touch 100 different things.

So you have a disease which is easily spread but only causes a tiny percentage to get even mildly sick and an even smaller, minuscule percentage to get seriously ill. And studies are showing that exponentially more people have been infected and are asymptomatic than have tested positive (there's that "exponential math" you coronabros love).

This absurdity is like wearing a beekeeper suit made of fish-net to ward off mosquito bites.
Ezra Brooks
AG
cone said:

I just say that about church because of what we know about epidemic spread with this pathogen and how it's generally non economic

just like how masks are so cost effective and personal they would be one of the last behaviors to ease
Tell that to Joel.
TXTransplant
cone said:

I actually think church is about the most likely place for an outbreak. People packed into pews, shaking hands, and in my faith, getting Holy Communion.

I said a couple of weeks ago that I thought the only way my church could open back up (for now) would be to limit one family per pew with every other pew empty, no touching anyone, no Holy Communion, and no music/choir. And when it's all over, you exit the church one pew at a time.
Unemployed
AG
aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

gougler08 said:

Damn, did we agree?
We'll, I've never met someone who agrees 100% with me, nor do I want to. Disagreement is good for everyone.
It's good that you're okay with most people thinking you're ugly.
cone
AG
we learned via the NYC study good news and bad news (if broadly accurate)

the IFR is likely 1% give or take (NYC being a relatively younger population)

the hospitalization rate is likely much lower than originally thought - closer to 5% across the population

so it's still a bad ass bug. we're getting better at treating it but still flailing in the dark to keep the olds from dying.

armed with this we can be more confident in bifurcating the population to resume economic activity and demand (having the olds and heavy set shelter in place and be super careful), but this thing is still a reaper of a bug if you're not vigilant. and will still kill the random young and healthy (although I think we're getting better at knowing that people who outwardly seem okay with the bug may be really sick).

I am glad American doctors are finally getting a crack at this thing. The WHO and the Chinese are just trash.
gougler08
AG
cone said:

we learned via the NYC study good news and bad news (if broadly accurate)

the IFR is likely 1% give or take (NYC being a relatively younger population)

the hospitalization rate is likely much lower than originally thought - closer to 5% across the population

so it's still a bad ass bug. we're getting better at treating it but still flailing in the dark to keep the olds from dying.

armed with this we can be more confident in bifurcating the population to resume economic activity and demand (having the olds and heavy set shelter in place and be super careful), but this thing is still a reaper of a bug if you're not vigilant. and will still kill the random young and healthy (although I think we're getting better at knowing that people who outwardly seem okay with the bug may be really sick).

I am glad American doctors are finally getting a crack at this thing. The WHO and the Chinese are just trash.
Now that we can agree on
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

Must not know many people who actually attend church.
aTm2004
AG
RealTalk said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

gougler08 said:

Damn, did we agree?
It's good that you're okay with most people thinking you're ugly.
Just needed to find 1 who didn't think so, and I did.
RebelE Infantry
AG
If you don't mind me asking, what parish are you at?
TXTransplant
RebelE Infantry said:

If you don't mind me asking, what parish are you at?

Actually one in MoCo - SSJ. The letter we got from our priest today actually said that we should expect things to open up faster in MoCo than in Harris.

But, I got the impression the Cardinal wants all parishes in the diocese on the same page, regardless of county. For now, all churches are to remain locked.

The diocese shut down Holy Communion a few weeks before there were any stay at home orders. I think mass continued for a week, maybe two, after that.

I'm in The Woodlands, and there are really only two parishes that serve the area. Masses are regularly packed with people squeezing in.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Ah ok. Ya that's the impression I get as well. I'm at Regina Caeli and our pastor hasn't mentioned reopening yet. Let's pray it's soon.
First Page Last Page
Page 107 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.