Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,059 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Daddy-O5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

J.D. c/o 05 said:

Take your order and shove it.

Grew up with her step son. Good people.

ETA- I realized who I was responding to...also good people!

Thank you sir. Lots of good people in this town, even today.
aTm2004
AG
I used common sense by knowing how viruses spread, which would tell you heavily dense populations with a lot of common touch points on crowded spaces is a prime area. We also had Italy at the time to know what was happening, and just reading about how Italy is, which is similar to NYC in how people live.

We didn't have any way of knowing how many would be infected, but rather than take a logical and thought out approach, we took the most drastic measure possible and killed the economy and millions of jobs.

We did so to flatten the curve and not overwhelm our healthcare system. Well, we're on the downside of the curve and hurt our healthcare system while doing so, and now people who have the ultimate job security want to slow play opening it back up out of fear of making the wrong decision. I applaud the governors of Georgia and Florida for having the spine to take that chance while the pearl clutchers cried themselves into dehydration. I wish Abbott had the same spine. Maybe he'll grow one over the weekend and show it to us on Monday. I doubt it.

Major employers are going to take precautions to accommodate their snowflake employees who are going to be petrified to return to normal. There are going to be ones who are going to fight tooth and nail to keep their WFH privileges as long as they can and milk this for everything possible, and at some point, a decision will need to be made on their future at that company.

They will also make proper accommodations, as they should, for the legit people who need to take extra precautions, and they know who those individuals are. But like everything, there has to be a set of parameters on when it ends, because this COVID thing will eventually end.
gougler08
AG
Everyone collectively giving Hidalgo the finger
Liquid Wrench
Can the 3 Wall of Text posters start their own thread or go to another board, please?

Otherwise maybe we should start flagging them.

There's been some important news items and good discussion on local matters in this thread, but it's tiresome to have to scroll through all that crap to find the worthwhile post.
aTm2004
AG
Beautiful, isn't it?
TXTransplant
This is very good news...

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/promising-news-houston-methodists-covid-19-cases-down-25-from-peak/285-a7d72fc2-b927-4488-a846-dc20271d05ea

Quote:

Dr. Marc Boom, the President and CEO OF Houston Methodist, says the number of patients admitted with COVID-19 has been dropping for about 10 days.

"We're on a nice downward trend, and we're very optimistic about where that goes," said Dr. Boom.

He says the hospital peaked at 213 patients overall, with approximately 99 people in intensive care.

Thursday morning, the number of patients was down 25% from the peak. The numbers are down even more in the ICU.
Bondag
AG
TXTransplant said:

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/promising-news-houston-methodists-covid-19-cases-down-25-from-peak/285-a7d72fc2-b927-4488-a846-dc20271d05ea

Quote:

Dr. Marc Boom, the President and CEO OF Houston Methodist, says the number of patients admitted with COVID-19 has been dropping for about 10 days.

"We're on a nice downward trend, and we're very optimistic about where that goes," said Dr. Boom.

He says the hospital peaked at 213 patients overall, with approximately 99 people in intensive care.

Thursday morning, the number of patients was down 25% from the peak. The numbers are down even more in the ICU.

What does that have to do with wearing a mask?
Daddy-O5
TXTransplant
Bondag said:

TXTransplant said:

Quote:

What does that have to do with wearing a mask?

Nothing. Last I checked this discussion wasn't just about wearing masks. But feel free to carry on with that argument, if you like.
XpressAg09
AG
Curve has been flattened. Back to work.
Fitch
AG
4/22: +231
4/23: +211

Nothing official, but starts to give an idea when policies may get back to "normal." Spoiler alert, it'll bounce around a lot. LINK
Scantron882
AG
on the bright side today, we now have a potential new use for our Hurricane bleach.
IrishTxAggie
AG
LOL... Texas isn't waiting until June
aTm2004
AG
Exactly, especially if we do a soft open and don't see any huge outbreaks in Florida or Georgia next week.
Big Cat `93
AG
I love that they have us opening a couple of weeks after Louisiana. Lulz.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

And having NJ and NY opening before us...Literally the "epicenter(s)" in the US.
cajunaggie08
AG
i'm gonna guess those dates are based on a formula that accounts for the amount of testing that has occurred relative to a state's population. Texas ranks 49th for the percentage of residents tested.
aTm2004
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Big Cat `93 said:

And having NJ and NY opening before us...Literally the "epicenter(s)" in the US.
I think the maker of that map is racist and hates the brown people in Texas.
aTm2004
AG
Probably, but are we seeing a need for expanded testing? Doesn't look like it.
cone
AG
separate topic

but you want the expanded testing to help break the paranoia that's holding back demand

you might find that irrational but it still exists and has a vote over the velocity of money
IrishTxAggie
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

i'm gonna guess those dates are based on a formula that accounts for the amount of testing that has occurred relative to a state's population. Texas ranks 49th for the percentage of residents tested.
Now do our rank on # of deaths by % of country population!!
aTm2004
AG
I completely understand your point about expanding it to ease the minds of people. But I look at it this way...we closed everything down to flatten the curve and not overwhelm our healthcare system. We're on the downside of that curve it appears, and even if we aren't, we haven't overwhelmed our healthcare system. To me, doing the antibodies test would be more beneficial to easing people's minds. Show them how common it is and the true number of those who have had it.
BQRyno
AG
cone said:

separate topic

but you want the expanded testing to help break the paranoia that's holding back demand

you might find that irrational but it still exists and has a vote over the velocity of money

Honest question - how do we know anything is holding back demand? Businesses are shut down, but not because of low demand. Isn't it virtually impossible to predict the level of demand right now?
cajunaggie08
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Now do our rank on # of deaths by % of country population!!
we rank 10th if 1st is the state with the least deaths per capita. I'm not saying it isnt a flawed formula in that graphic. Thats just the only way i could see how texas's date is after louisiana and new york.
Engine10
AG
Quote:

There are going to be ones who are going to fight tooth and nail to keep their WFH privileges as long as they can and milk this for everything possible, and at some point, a decision will need to be made on their future at that company.

I'm not so sure about this angle. We're (10k+ company) actually talking about extending/formalizing our WFH program for certain groups. Plenty have proven capable or even been more efficient with their workload, and we have the tools and infra setup now to make it all happen.
cone
AG
but demand isn't cratered by healthcare capacity limits

people don't want to get the bug full stop

so you need layers of indication that frees peoples minds and wallets

we are wearing masks, we are being responsible with distancing, we are still keep large gatherings shut down, we are washing hands, and we are testing to clear the embers - all combined you can feel relatively safe

long and short of it - demand to spend for non-essentials will track perception of local public health
cone
AG
recent surveys showing people don't want to get out and spend regardless of mandate

that was the trend line as well before the government lockdowns. as people became scared, demand cratered across the board
gougler08
AG
I work for a major O&G and they're saying we probably WFH all of May at this point, just to be on the safe side. I take that to mean we're functioning fine as a company if not better
Fitch
AG
Texas, no. Bigger cities in Texas are a question mark.
Daddy-O5
AG
gougler08 said:

I work for a major O&G and they're saying we probably WFH all of May at this point, just to be on the safe side. I take that to mean we're functioning fine as a company if not better
I'd be surprised if this whole experience didn't result in the same on a more permanent basis, for a lot of people and companies. I started a company with my partners in 2012 and it's either WFH or "on site". It doesn't work for everyone, but can work for a lot more than do it now.
gougler08
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

gougler08 said:

I'd be surprised if this whole experience didn't result in the same on a more permanent basis, for a lot of people and companies. I started a company with my partners in 2012 and it's either WFH or "on site". It doesn't work for everyone, but can work for a lot more than do it now.
Agreed...I think the biggest blocker in my company is management wanting butts in seats, but now they're seeing that generally the same amount (or more) gets done as WFH

Only flip side argument I have is for those companies that have large campuses, they'll probably still want people there to justify it
Fitch
AG
It's just a date on the calendar that projects when the number of new daily cases drops below 1 per 1,000,000 - the level the agency estimated municipalities would have adequate resources to contact trace. The ratio may swing up or down, and the date move forward or back in tandem.

It's wrong, it'll change, but it's informative from an 'order of magnitude' perspective.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
TXTransplant
I was having this same conversation with a friend yesterday. We don't work for the same company, but our companies are related (and tied to O&G).

We specifically wondered about being required to report back to the office only to be told to wear a mask, sit in your office all day (if you have one), and do all meetings by conference call. We can do that at home!

We both know at some point we will be expected back, though. And certainly, not all our our colleagues can WFH.
aTm2004
AG
Engine10 said:

Quote:

There are going to be ones who are going to fight tooth and nail to keep their WFH privileges as long as they can and milk this for everything possible, and at some point, a decision will need to be made on their future at that company.

I'm not so sure about this angle. We're (10k+ company) actually talking about extending/formalizing our WFH program for certain groups. Plenty have proven capable or even been more efficient with their workload, and we have the tools and infra setup now to make it all happen.

No doubt some companies will extend it (ours implemented it sort of like a 9/80 type thing after we showed how effective we could be after Harvey), but others won't. Those that do not will have the chicken littles who will be freaking out about going back. That's who I am talking about. My mom had to deal with a medical worker at her hospital that thought she came in contact with a COVID infected person, so she was sent home to quarantine for 2 weeks. After that 2 weeks was up, she was expected to be back at work...healthcare worker and all, and she threw a fit and literally cried in front of my mom about how scared she was.
First Page Last Page
Page 105 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.