Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,503,504 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
jswags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes Commandante, may we have another.
TXTransplant
CDUB98 said:

No, if there is a shortage of tests, as we are constantly led to believe, how did they get a ship full out in the middle of nowhere?

The one I read about this morning was out by Antarctica.

Was it this one?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/uruguay-to-repatriate-australian-passengers-from-covid-19-stricken-ship

Because it was an Antarctic cruise ship, but it is off the coast of Uruguay and wants to dock there. Uruguay is saying people have to test negative before they can disembark.

As far as testing goes, I thought that was up to each individual country, and in our case, each individual state - at least for public testing.
TXTransplant
CowtownAg06 said:

I wasn't aware we had county parks, just city ones.... Either way the rain forecast may do this for her.

The Woodlands "closed" their parks a couple of weeks ago. But because very few of them are fenced, all they can do is put up signs saying use the equipment at your own risk because it hasn't been sanitized.

I expect the helicopter moms in my neighborhood have made our park equipment cleaner that it's ever been. You could probably eat off of it.
CDUB98
AG
TXTransplant said:

CDUB98 said:

No, if there is a shortage of tests, as we are constantly led to believe, how did they get a ship full out in the middle of nowhere?

Was it this one?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/uruguay-to-repatriate-australian-passengers-from-covid-19-stricken-ship

Because it was an Antarctic cruise ship, but it is not off the coast of Uruguay and wants to dock there.

As far as testing goes, I thought that was up to each individual country, and in our case, each individual state - at least for public testing.

I'm not arguing about whether to test them.

I am saying, we are constantly told how there is not enough testing or test kits available, yet these random cruise ships have a ton of them.

It just seems to me our politicians are doing what they do second best: lying.
TXTransplant
CDUB98 said:

TXTransplant said:

CDUB98 said:

Was it this one?

Because it was an Antarctic cruise ship, but it is not off the coast of Uruguay and wants to dock there.

I'm not arguing about whether to test them.

I am saying, we are constantly told how there is not enough testing or test kits available, yet these random cruise ships have a ton of them.

It just seems to me our politicians are doing what they do second best: lying.

Why would the number of tests on a cruise ship owned by an Australian company that wants to dock in Uruguay have any relevance to the number of tests available in Texas or the US?

But I agree with your broader point - we don't have enough tests but our political/govt leadership seems to be reluctant to admit/address the problem.
CDUB98
AG
We're not on the same page. Forget it.
BBRex
AG
CNN has this on the screen but never actually mentions Houston. Anyone know what they're talking about?

Zobel
AG
My company is 100% masks required on all sites as of today.
AgCPA95
AG
TXTransplant said:

Enron collapsed before I moved to TX. How many employees did they have downtown? Seems crazy they could cause restaurants in downtown to close, but I believe it!
Around 4,000 in the Houston headquarters downtown.
Texaggie7nine
BBRex said:

CNN has this on the screen but never actually mentions Houston. Anyone know what they're talking about?

Quote:

DR. BIRX: Thank you, Mr. Vice President. I think you heard very clearly our concern in the New York-New Jersey metro areas; this also includes Connecticut and Long Island. As we talked about, we did see a significant increase in Sussex County over the weekend.
The weekend numbers are always difficult I want to be clear on that because sometimes case reporting is not as accurate over the weekend. So we'll be watching very closely today's numbers and Tuesday's numbers. We're also very, of course, focused on the New Orleans metro area, and that includes the three parishes of Jefferson, St. John the Baptist, and New Orleans proper, and, of course, the Detroit area, which is Oakland and Wayne.
As we mentioned before, we're continuing to track very closely out of concerns of it potentially reaching logarithmic phase in the Chicago metro area, the Boston metro area, the D.C. and Baltimore metro area, Indianapolis, the Denver area, and two regions of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia and the Pittsburgh area, as well as Dallas and Houston in the Texas area.
I had a very encouraging call because we also don't want to miss anything. Remember, I showed you a lot of states were very much under 25 and 50 cases for 100,000. There were some a few standouts that we were concerned about, which was Vermont, New Hampshire, Idaho, and Montana
7nine
Diggity
AG
Allen Center is a bit tucked in over there as well so there weren't a ton of other tenants to fill those restaurants after Enron left. I believe Hess left after that and made it worse.

I have a buddy who owned a Mediterranean place over there and business never fully recovered for him after Enron collapsed.
DuncanAg
AG
Apparently they brought up Houston as an area to watch again today on a call with congressional leaders
TXTransplant
DuncanAg said:

Apparently they brought up Houston as an area to watch again today on a call with congressional leaders

KHOU link...Abbott discussed it with Pence.

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/gov-greg-abbott-raises-alarm-about-number-of-covid-19-cases-deaths-in-harris-county/285-7dfe6ba8-1a0e-41ab-b5d6-c84dfd77fe03
Diggity
AG
covered about every large MSA that we haven't already been worried about.
swimmerbabe11
what kind of masks are yall wearing? what constitutes an acceptable mas?

My seamstress made me a super cute mask that has a little replaceable filter in it, but I doubt it is up to any code standard?
TXTransplant
swimmerbabe11 said:

My seamstress made me a super cute mask that has a little replaceable filter in it, but I doubt it is up to any code standard?

I read a good article a few days ago about the different types of masks. I'll find the link and post it.

But, basically it said cotton masks are fine because you are wearing them to prevent the spread of water droplets from your mouth and nose (which could contain the virus) out into the environment. It isn't really necessary to have N95 masks that block the virus unless you are around someone who you know has the virus (ie, healthcare workers).

I ordered some cotton masks from railsclothing.com. A lot of clothing manufacturers are making and selling masks.

If my employer requires it at work, I suspect I will have to wear whatever mask they give me.

Found the link.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90479846/the-untold-origin-story-of-the-n95-mask
CowtownAg06
AG
It probably is.... unless you are in really close contact with some with COVID (like Dr's are), the odds of you breathing in an aerosol and getting the virus are very very low. You would need a N95 to prevent that, but that's not the point of wearing a mask in public like yours. It does 2 things:
1.) If you are sick, it will keep you from spreading germs in the community. You may feel great, but could be asymptomatic.
2.) It keeps you from touching your face. This is huge for things like grocery shopping. Wear glasses too. I have great vision but wore blue light glasses to store so I wouldn't subconsciously touch my eyes until I got home and washed my hands.
Diggity
AG
swimmerbabe11
oh man, my glasses have the opposite effect. I'm consistently messing with them when I have mine on.

I was mostly curious what the employer driven initiatives in non medical fields were saying...if they were supplying them/if they had minimum requirements (like a scarf isnt good enough) etc.
FNG
swimmerbabe11 said:

New guidance on masks from TAMU on campus, with links to more info from the CDC on masks:

https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/face-coverings-on-campus.html

What you have should help but as others have said is not a replacement for actual PPE.
Bondag
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

oh man, my glasses have the opposite effect. I'm consistently messing with them when I have mine on.

I was mostly curious what the employer driven initiatives in non medical fields were saying...if they were supplying them/if they had minimum requirements (like a scarf isnt good enough) etc.
Ours said it can't hurt, but you are depending on other people to wear them properly as well so just follow social distancing requirements and if it makes you feel better than wear a mask, but it is not a primary means of protection.
AgCPA95
AG
The CDC website has the info as well as sewing instruction and making a covering with a bandanna and a coffee filter.

Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19
DuncanAg
AG
Let me get this straight....our wise and experienced county judge is going to close all county parks on Friday yet the Mayor of Houston is not closing city parks. I don't get it, I have been down on Terry Hershey trails almost every day at various times...there is zero issues with social distancing and most people are just trying to exercise. Sure it's busier in the evenings but again no crowds and zero social distancing issues.

https://abc13.com/health/harris-co-parks-to-close-friday-due-to-covid-19-outbreak/6087207/
CDUB98
AG
DuncanAg said:

Let me get this straight....our wise and experienced county judge is going to close all county parks on Friday yet the Mayor of Houston is not closing city parks. I don't get it, I have been down on Terry Hershey trails almost every day at various times...there is zero issues with social distancing and most people are just trying to exercise. Sure it's busier in the evenings but again no crowds and zero social distancing issues.

https://abc13.com/health/harris-co-parks-to-close-friday-due-to-covid-19-outbreak/6087207/

Think of Easter family gatherings. That's the sole reason why she is putting the kibosh on the parks.
Ag_07
AG
Dug my mask out from the closet

Bregxit
AG
MoCo total through today...

210 Confirmed
153 Active
53 Recovered
4 Dead

Over 25% of confirmed cases recovered so far.
Fitch
AG
KHOU article
Quote:

HOUSTON Governor Greg Abbott raised an alarm Wednesday about the increasing number of COVID-19 cases and deaths in the Houston area.

"One of the areas that's getting hit the hardest is Harris County," Abbott said in a news conference.
As of Tuesday, Harris County has 652 COVID-19 cases with eight deaths and 152 recoveries.

Those numbers don't include the City of Houston, which has another 1,320 cases, 11 deaths and 99 recoveries.
So this is where it gets a little tricky with the Villages and surrounding municipalities...but combined that's

1,972 confirmed cases
19 deaths

This is just conjecture on my part, but between the lag in testing and what's been seen in Nola the actual number of cases is probably 5-10x the "confirmed". Maybe what's prompting the worry?
TXTransplant
Bregxit said:

210 Confirmed
153 Active
53 Recovered
4 Dead

Roughly 27 hospitalized, including the LEO.

Did you notice one of the cases from today (4/8) says the status is "recovered"?
Bondag
AG
CDUB98 said:

DuncanAg said:

Think of Easter family gatherings. That's the sole reason why she is putting the kibosh on the parks.

CDUB98
AG
Ummm, yeah, sure.
TXTransplant
Fitch said:

KHOU article
Quote:

HOUSTON Governor Greg Abbott raised an alarm Wednesday about the increasing number of COVID-19 cases and deaths in the Houston area.

"One of the areas that's getting hit the hardest is Harris County," Abbott said in a news conference.
As of Tuesday, Harris County has 652 COVID-19 cases with eight deaths and 152 recoveries.

Those numbers don't include the City of Houston, which has another 1,320 cases, 11 deaths and 99 recoveries.
So this is where it gets a little tricky with the Villages and surrounding municipalities...but combined that's

1,972 confirmed cases
19 deaths

This is just conjecture on my part, but between the lag in testing and what's been seen in Nola the actual number of cases is probably 5-10x the "confirmed". Maybe what's prompting the worry?

The KHOU map is saying 2206 in Harris Co. But the total for the greater Houston area is 3463. Fort Bend Co has another 417 cases. It's a total of 18 counties in addition to Harris.

I'm not familiar with regional hospitals...outside of the Houston Med Center, The Woodlands, and the Galveston Med Center do any of these areas have hospitals that can treat someone in ICU with this virus? If not, I imagine that's part of the concern.
Bregxit
AG
TXTransplant said:

Bregxit said:

210 Confirmed
153 Active
53 Recovered
4 Dead

Roughly 27 hospitalized, including the LEO.

Did you notice one of the cases from today (4/8) says the status is "recovered"?
Yeah that has happened a few times now. I think it is long turnaround on some test results. By the time they come back the person is over it.

The LEO was slowly improving last I heard a few days ago. Probably karma ****ing with him for ****ing around on his wife and not cooperating with the county health folks initially.
TXTransplant
That's what I was thinking - testing backlog. Today was just the first time I'd noticed it.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone, no matter what terrible things they've done. But I hope he gets his you-know-what handed to him by his wife and his superiors for not disclosing where he'd been and who he'd been with after he was diagnosed (assuming that rumor is true).
Diggity
AG
yep...we have a friend in Austin that was tested a week ago and found out he was positive yesterday. He's feeling fine. Still hasn't totally regained his sense of smell but that's about it.

I would imagine he would fall in that category.
DuncanAg
AG
CDUB98 said:

DuncanAg said:

I get closing facilities within a park (playground equipment, drinking fountains, etc) but Terry Hershey is a 12 mile long walking / biking trail. Honestly, I don't see how they are going to enforce it. There are so many access points...not to mention the people who have houses who back up to it.
First Page Last Page
Page 79 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.