Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,474 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They're not going to enforce it. It's basically a request, and they know a good chunk of people will follow it.
jetch17
AG
It's just to deter all the Mexicans with their confetti egg fiestas
Texaggie7nine
Wonder how many clandestine quinceaneras have gone down so far.
7nine
HotardAg07
AG
or SJL with her pedegg shavings fiesta
W
AG
the cops know to stay out of the East End
Fitch
AG
Good call. I missed that on my original read through. Looks like the numbers were updated a little bit.

LINK

bearkatag15
AG
TXTransplant said:

Fitch said:

KHOU article
Quote:

HOUSTON Governor Greg Abbott raised an alarm Wednesday about the increasing number of COVID-19 cases and deaths in the Houston area.

"One of the areas that's getting hit the hardest is Harris County," Abbott said in a news conference.
As of Tuesday, Harris County has 652 COVID-19 cases with eight deaths and 152 recoveries.

Those numbers don't include the City of Houston, which has another 1,320 cases, 11 deaths and 99 recoveries.
So this is where it gets a little tricky with the Villages and surrounding municipalities...but combined that's

1,972 confirmed cases
19 deaths

This is just conjecture on my part, but between the lag in testing and what's been seen in Nola the actual number of cases is probably 5-10x the "confirmed". Maybe what's prompting the worry?

The KHOU map is saying 2206 in Harris Co. But the total for the greater Houston area is 3463. Fort Bend Co has another 417 cases. It's a total of 18 counties in addition to Harris.

I'm not familiar with regional hospitals...outside of the Houston Med Center, The Woodlands, and the Galveston Med Center do any of these areas have hospitals that can treat someone in ICU with this virus? If not, I imagine that's part of the concern.

Yes, my wife is a NP in the ICU of a hospital in Sugar Land. They have had 7-10 patients in her unit that are positive for it and all vented. They recently started using a 30 min test to speed up getting results which has helped a lot.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
City parks finally shut down.
Bondag
AG
They are gonna have to catch me.

David_Puddy
AG
CDUB98 said:

No, if there is a shortage of tests, as we are constantly led to believe, how did they get a ship full out in the middle of nowhere?

The one I read about this morning was out by Antarctica.

There are tests out there, covered by insurance. I'm helping a buddy who owns an FDA approved lab and has a large supply of testing kits. If any company has a PPO through Blue Cross Blue Shield or Medicare, the tests are 100% covered and can be sent to the employees home directly for them to conduct the test and then mail it to the lab were they can get results in 1-2 days. If any of you guys are interested, shoot me a PM and I can help get your company set up. No deductible or copay either, entirely covered by BCBS/Medicare.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

City parks finally shut down.
for the weekend like the county or rest of the month?
Big Cat `93
AG
The weekend.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Weekend. I thought I saw something earlier that Turner had said they weren't closing them, but I guess that changed.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Everything I'm reading says it'll be through the weekend to mirror Hidalgo's county park closure. Reopen at 8:00 AM on Monday. My guess is they start closing them at 8:00 - 9:00 tonight.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
It's because we had a reported 30-35% increases in infection cases today.
Jack Cheese
AG
Can someone explain locking the tennis courts as has been done in my (and surrounding) subdivisions? I'd like to understand the risk vectors.
Texaggie7nine
My guess is limiting public places that people will bring their kids to go run around and touch everything at.
7nine
Jack Cheese
AG
So people are in the habit of taking their kids onto the tennis courts? And if they do, I wonder what the surface contact risks would be? The concrete? The gate handle?
Scruffy
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Can someone explain locking the tennis courts as has been done in my (and surrounding) subdivisions? I'd like to understand the risk vectors.
The risk is 911 having to deal with Karen calling multiple times to report Sharon and Tonya playing a match between rounds of mimosas.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

It's because we had a reported 30-35% increases in infection cases today.

I looked up a few more articles and saw that. All this reacting to testing seems silly to me. We know there are a ton of people that have it that we don't even know about. I don't get the massive response over what they were doing when things happen that everyone with five brain cells knew was going to happen.
Fitch
AG
Ag_07
AG
It also has to do with playgrounds and other facilities being closed so people would gather in whatever facilities are open like tennis courts, basketball courts, etc.

Just close it all and not have to manage just the handful of open ones.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Yeah, not saying it's right or wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what the decision is attributed to. Was riding my bike along Eleanor Tinsley yesterday after work and it seemed like just about everyone was acting/distancing as responsibly as they could, so I'm bummed to hear it as well.
Texaggie7nine
I can see some parents doing it under the current circumstances.

I'm sure this weekend people are going to be desperate to find places to take their kids to play.
7nine
TXTransplant
Fitch said:

Did you see that the two deaths announced today occurred on March 27 and April 2?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Because me taking my dog to the park to play fetch at 6AM on Saturday morning is really a big ****ing threat to spread the virus. **** Turner, **** Hidalgo, and frankly **** Abbott right about now too.
TXTransplant
For the parks that can't be secured, did they indicate if/how they would police them? Can we expect constables and police out monitoring the parks?
Bondag
AG
Surely they are tracking confirmed cases and deaths by date tests were taken and not date received right?
Jack Cheese
AG
And if they do, is there really a risk??? I'm genuinely curious. I honestly can't see a risk if someone takes their kids onto a bare concrete surface that has a net I never touch.

Tennis isn't like basketball.
Texaggie7nine
You don't touch it, but a bored ass kid will climb all over it, the fence, the gate, you name it.

And I think, as mentioned above, the fact that there are less and less options to go to means more and more people are going to want to go to the few places still open. How do you socially distance 20 5 year olds running all over a tennis court?
7nine
TXTransplant
Bondag said:

Surely they are tracking confirmed cases and deaths by date tests were taken and not date received right?

I'm sure someone has that data, but as far as I can tell, all the trackers assign the date as the date the positive case was reported publicly.

The trackers (like the KHOU one posted above) don't indicate what date the person died (or any other change in status). Just the original date the positive result was made public.
Fitch
AG
I didn't catch that. The delay in reporting is kind of crazy.
one MEEN Ag
AG
TXTransplant said:

For the parks that can't be secured, did they indicate if/how they would police them? Can we expect constables and police out monitoring the parks?
GPS tracking of your phone.

Expect a fine levied by a nigerian prince who works for the IRS in your voicemail box on Monday.

Only iTunes gift cards accepted.
Jack Cheese
AG
Scruffy said:

Jack Cheese said:

The risk is 911 having to deal with Karen calling multiple times to report Sharon and Tonya playing a match between rounds of mimosas.

I think this is the real reason. Tennis poses zero actual risk.
CowtownAg06
AG
Jack Cheese said:

And if they do, is there really a risk??? I'm genuinely curious. I honestly can't see a risk if someone takes their kids onto a bare concrete surface that has a net I never touch.

Tennis isn't like basketball.

Not to mention UV is very effective at killing the virus. Outside is very safe. Now I kinda get the closing the parks to deter big Easter picnics but why not just police that.
First Page Last Page
Page 80 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.