Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,965 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Fitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wouldn't get too caught up on when a model projects a peak date. This isn't a day-to-day thing, it's about trends over time, and we'll only know if we hit a peak trend a few weeks after the fact.

The models are definitely trending downward, which is cause enough for optimism.
07ag
AG
BMX Bandit said:

07ag said:

its shifting based on info as the days go by,, earlier this week it was inline with the us peak of a week from now
do you have a link for that?

on April 1, the projected peak was May 5
no link, sorry, going off of my memory of what i've seen on https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas
https://ts.la/eric59704
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

I'm genuinely curious about what people think could have been done differently here in the Houston area and what should be done going forward. What is our "new normal" going to look like?
I think you could play with numbers a bit and say we probably could have gone another week or so before complete shut down and would have only paid a minimal price of a few hundred more deaths in the end but you would still end up with a shut down like this for a significant period of time.

If the numbers of infections and deaths continue to undershoot the projections, I think our leaders need to start talking about how we go back to business as usual and what steps we take to minimize bounce back because we may be doing that sooner than many think, like maybe in May. I think masks are definitely going to need to be mandated for awhile. Businesses that put employees together in tight spaces probably need to be reconfigured, same for schools.
7nine
TXTransplant
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

I'm genuinely curious about what people think could have been done differently here in the Houston area and what should be done going forward. What is our "new normal" going to look like?
I think you could play with numbers a bit and say we probably could have gone another week or so before complete shut down and would have only paid a minimal price of a few hundred more deaths in the end but you would still end up with a shut down like this for a significant period of time.

If the numbers of infections and deaths continue to undershoot the projections, I think our leaders need to start talking about how we go back to business as usual and what steps we take to minimize bounce back because we may be doing that sooner than many think, like maybe in May. I think masks are definitely going to need to be mandated for awhile. Businesses that put employees together in tight spaces probably need to be reconfigured, same for schools.

I agree. I also think there are going to be some companies/businesses that don't want the risk of having an outbreak at work - those like CVX, XOM, etc. especially if a lot of their employees work in open-concept cube farms. So, even if the restrictions are lifted, I think a lot of these companies will be telling employees who work in an office to continue to stay home.

There are 10k employees just at the XOM campus in Spring. A whole ton of restaurants opened up right around there. If no one is going to the office, those restaurants won't get back to normal, even if they are allowed to open.

Downtown may continue to be Ghostown for a while, too.
TexAg2001
AG
Every time I visit this thread, I can't help but notice the original post dated 3/1 about the quarantine at Rice. It's really crazy how much our lives can change in just 5 weeks......3/1 feels like a lifetime ago.
Jethro95
AG
07ag said:

BMX Bandit said:

07ag said:

its shifting based on info as the days go by,, earlier this week it was inline with the us peak of a week from now
do you have a link for that?

on April 1, the projected peak was May 5
no link, sorry, going off of my memory of what i've seen on https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas
My recollection is that the April 5th update where total US deaths projected moved down to around 80k was the one where the Texas date changed from May 5 to April 19th. I found this archive link to the US data showing the 80k, but the Texas data was not crawled. As mentioned above, the US model is now showing around 60k deaths and a Texas peak of April 22nd.
07fta07
AG
Yesterday the peak was April 20. It's a moving target because no one knows.
gougler08
AG
I've been looking at that almost daily and pretty sure the peak was April 19 or 20 yesterday so it has adjusted back a bit, deaths have remained flat at 2k
Bondag
AG
gougler08 said:

I've been looking at that almost daily and pretty sure the peak was April 19 or 20 yesterday so it has adjusted back a bit, deaths have remained flat at 2k
The peak for NYC is supposed to be tomorrow and they are supposed to be 5,000 ICU beds short. Where are we with that?
gougler08
AG
Sorry, been looking at the Texas piece mostly (and a couple other states where my company has facilities)...haven't kept up much with NY
Stat Monitor Repairman
Bondag said:

gougler08 said:

The peak for NYC is supposed to be tomorrow and they are supposed to be 5,000 ICU beds short. Where are we with that?
MATH GOD ****IT!
Zobel
AG
Here's some things for y'all to read while we "work from home"

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/01/navigating-covid-19-pandemic/

https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/Ddgry4k64oBZYfrHy/covid-19-points-of-leverage-travel-bans-and-eradication

https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/National-Coronavirus-Response-a-Road-Map-to-Recovering-2.pdf

https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMe2007263
TXTransplant
k2aggie07 said:

Here's some things for y'all to read while we "work from home"

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/01/navigating-covid-19-pandemic/

https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/Ddgry4k64oBZYfrHy/covid-19-points-of-leverage-travel-bans-and-eradication

https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/National-Coronavirus-Response-a-Road-Map-to-Recovering-2.pdf

https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMe2007263

So, according to the one I bolded, we are in phase I and need to stay here until we have had a sustained reduction in cases for 14 days.

Moving to phase II also requires that we be able to test all patients with symptoms.

So, we are back to the issue of testing and, as a region, will we be able to perform enough of them?
Zobel
AG
That one I think is the most reasonable / likely path forward. And I don't know, it seems like the testing issue has sort of falling out of the public eye.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Agree. So the peak in Texas is about 12-14 days away. That gives us a month to have the testing up to where it needs to be. Sounds doable but the government can't get out of their own way.
gougler08
AG
k2aggie07 said:

That one I think is the most reasonable / likely path forward. And I don't know, it seems like the testing issue has sort of falling out of the public eye.
Yeah that does seem most likely...probably also going to go aggressive on mask usage (doubt we'll mandate it like they're starting to in CA, but it could be a good measure)
BohunkAg
AG
TXTransplant said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

I agree. I also think there are going to be some companies/businesses that don't want the risk of having an outbreak at work - those like CVX, XOM, etc. especially if a lot of their employees work in open-concept cube farms. So, even if the restrictions are lifted, I think a lot of these companies will be telling employees who work in an office to continue to stay home.

There are 10k employees just at the XOM campus in Spring. A whole ton of restaurants opened up right around there. If no one is going to the office, those restaurants won't get back to normal, even if they are allowed to open.

Downtown may continue to be Ghostown for a while, too.

The only thing I will compare this to is that when Enron went under, a number of little restaurants in that area of downtown closed as well because of the sheer number of employees they had. I worked right there. Sure was a lot less crowded at lunch everywhere after that.
TXTransplant
gougler08 said:

k2aggie07 said:

Yeah that does seem most likely...probably also going to go aggressive on mask usage (doubt we'll mandate it like they're starting to in CA, but it could be a good measure)

I agree about the testing, but there was a pretty lively discussion about it on this thread a couple of days ago. And Trump is saying there are no problems with testing.

I have not heard this will be the case, but I would not be shocked at all if my employer requires us to wear masks when we are finally allowed to go back to the office. I imagine a lot of big employers - especially those with a strong safety culture - will do the same.
gougler08
AG
TXTransplant said:

gougler08 said:

k2aggie07 said:

I agree about the testing, but there was a pretty lively discussion about it on this thread a couple of days ago. And Trump is saying there are no problems with testing.

I have not heard this will be the case, but I would not be shocked at all if my employer requires us to wear masks when we are finally allowed to go back to the office. I imagine a lot of big employers - especially those with a strong safety culture - will do the same.
Agreed, I work for a major O&G and we already have a process for people at the plants/refineries to get masks, assume that will be rolled out to everyone when we head back to the offices
TXTransplant
Enron collapsed before I moved to TX. How many employees did they have downtown? Seems crazy they could cause restaurants in downtown to close, but I believe it!
TXTransplant
gougler08 said:

TXTransplant said:

gougler08 said:

k2aggie07 said:

Agreed, I work for a major O&G and we already have a process for people at the plants/refineries to get masks, assume that will be rolled out to everyone when we head back to the offices

I'm out of the loop on what's being done in the plants. Are non-shift workers even allowed to leave during the day? I could see this restriction being put in place (of it hasn't been already), too, which would hurt restaurants in Baytown and Pasadena.
CDUB98
AG
TXTransplant said:

gougler08 said:

k2aggie07 said:

I found out today that the site I am at received 10,000 masks today.

I really don't want to wear a mask.
TXTransplant
CDUB98 said:

TXTransplant said:

gougler08 said:

k2aggie07 said:

Neither do I. Thankfully, I have my own office, so maybe I won't have to wear it unless I go out into the common areas.
Texaggie7nine
CDUB98 said:

TXTransplant said:

gougler08 said:

k2aggie07 said:

It's more about being courteous than being paranoid.
7nine
CDUB98
AG
The only thing I like on my face is y'alls moms.
TexAg2001
AG
I live in SW Houston and passed by the drive-thru testing site on this side of town around noon today. I noticed at least a dozen police vehicles spread throughout the parking lot, but not a single car in line to get a test done. Is the need not there or is there some other reason? There were signs at the entrance saying you cannot get tested without have a unique ID produced by the pre-screening website. I guess the website is determining people aren't in bad enough shape to get a test? Without knowing all the details, the whole operation seemed like a huge waste of resources.

Change of subject: I passed by the testing site while on my way to a Dollar Tree. They carry 6 packs of shoelaces (12 shoe laces). My wife has been making cloth masks that have a pocket for filter insertion and passing them out to family and neighbors. She's probably made and distributed 50+ so far. She has a LOT of fabric, but craft stores and online outlets seem to be out of elastic and other materials used to attach the masks to your head. We've found that shoelaces work really well. 1 adult size shoelace is long enough for 1 mask.
Diggity
AG
really? I think it would be an improvement for you
CDUB98
AG
Diggity said:

really? I think it would be an improvement for you

I never said it wouldn't be.
CDUB98
AG
Something I am curious about.

How is it that everyone here in the States is screaming about not being able to get tested cause there aren't enough tests, yet some cruise ship out in the BFE ocean is able test enough passengers to know that 60% have this *****
TXTransplant
CDUB98 said:

Something I am curious about.

How is it that everyone here in the States is screaming about not being able to get tested cause there aren't enough tests, yet some cruise ship out in the BFE ocean is able test enough passengers to know that 60% have this *****

What's the alternative...no testing and leave them out there to fend for themselves? In order to get the ship docked and the people off, they pretty much have to be tested. Unless a passenger is gravely ill, Uruguay won't let anyone disembark unless they have tested negative. Either way, it's a decision by the govt of Uruguay. Not really relevant to the testing situation here.
jetch17
AG
All Harris County parks closed Good Friday thru Easter weekend says Lina

Sorry if that's old news, I just noticed it.
CDUB98
AG
No, if there is a shortage of tests, as we are constantly led to believe, how did they get a ship full out in the middle of nowhere?

The one I read about this morning was out by Antarctica.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Hidalgo has closed all county parks for Easter weekend and is advising mayors in the county to follow suit.
CowtownAg06
AG
I wasn't aware we had county parks, just city ones.... Either way the rain forecast may do this for her.
Texaggie7nine
Not "heavy whipping cream"?
7nine
First Page Last Page
Page 78 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.