Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,138 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
XpressAg09 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

unless its a n95 it aint going to stop **** from getting to you.
So 'homemade masks' are pointless then?

Depends on the material. I was listening to a podcast and homemade masks from shirts and other clothes made of cotton are, in fact pointless. The quality we like most in clothes is breathability. Guess what, that also lets all germs in, including the virus. They said it actually tested to have 0 benefit. They did said the only caveat would be if it prevented you from touching your face. However, I see more masks around people's chins than their faces so doubt it does that either.
DuncanAg
AG
Chewy said:

Would this apply to incorporated areas of City of Houston or just for unincorporated areas of Harris County?

Not sure of who has power over each other between Lina and Sly.

The County orders include everyone within the county (including all incorporated cities).
Chewy
AG
DuncanAg said:

Chewy said:

Would this apply to incorporated areas of City of Houston or just for unincorporated areas of Harris County?

Not sure of who has power over each other between Lina and Sly.

The County orders include everyone within the county (including all incorporated cities).

Interesting. Assuming HPD is then required to enforce all county laws?
lb sand
AG
Would this one be in compliance?

XpressAg09
AG
HotardAg07 said:

If the majority of us wear masks while out in public places, the virus will have less chance to spread. Japan has managed to keep the virus at bay while doing business as usual. Restaurants are open, factories are open, everyone is working. Why? They all wear masks.

Don't get tripped up on the specifics. It's a ****ing pandemic, people. If there was one time in your whole ****ing life to just look stupid and put on a ****ing mask it would be right ****ing now. If we can all just not be ****ing selfish for a short period we can get back on with our old lives as much as possible and get the **** out of our houses.
Japan suspended foreign travel on March 28th ( Source ) and masks in Asian countries is much more culturally normal than in Europe or North America. Restaurants may be open, but they're definitely not wearing masks while eating.

Americans were told we needed to flatten the curve. We've done that. No one signed up to stay indoors or wear coverings until the entire virus was gone. It never will be.

Wear the mask if it makes you feel better, but you can't force it on other folks.
cone
AG
open it up

but don't take simple steps to keep it open as long as possible

sounds reasonable
aTm2004
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Social Distanced said:

Correct...

If you are concerned..YOU wear a mask

I personally will not be
the mask isnt to prevent you from getting the virus. unless its a n95 it aint going to stop **** from getting to you. but any mask helps those who have it from having it spread further from their body. its not about you. its about everyone else.
When you walk out of a pubic place, will you be sterilizing everything you're wearing, your entire body, and whatever you bought before putting it in your vehicle? If not, will you be doing it before you walk in to your house? If not, the mask is only making your feel better and not doing jack squat. Are you taking one of your wife's sanitary napkins and covering your knot with it? They say you can pass it from a fart, so you might want to take precautions.

About 2.5 weeks ago, I got horribly sick. High fever, chills, sore throat, and felt exhausted. I slept for a couple of days before my fever broke. Read about the symptoms of the 'rona, and didn't have any of the main ones (cough, labored breathing). Finally, that Sunday, I decided to go to the urgent care clinic. I ended up having strep. Now, how in the hell did I get strep? At that time, I had been working from home for over 2 weeks, our grocery orders were curbside pickups that they just put into the back of the car, and the couple of to-go meals we got were from restaurants that had you pull up to a numbered cone and they'd run it out to you, while wearing masks and gloves. Yet, somehow I got strep. Hmm. Just going out on a limb here and saying the Kung Flu could get passed that way as well.
Caliber
AG
htxag09 said:

XpressAg09 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Depends on the material. I was listening to a podcast and homemade masks from shirts and other clothes made of cotton are, in fact pointless. The quality we like most in clothes is breathability. Guess what, that also lets all germs in, including the virus. They said it actually tested to have 0 benefit. They did said the only caveat would be if it prevented you from touching your face. However, I see more masks around people's chins than their faces so doubt it does that either.
I'm curious about your 0 benefit link.

Most of the stuff i've seen show cotton at 30-50% effectiveness. In a medical setting where you have known contact, that is pretty terrible. In a public setting, that can actually do a lot. Much less concentrated virus counts in the air, filtering 50% out can effectively stop infection.
cajunaggie08
AG
XpressAg09 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

No. Homemade masks can't stop you from inhaling the virus. However, they are effective at reducing the aerosol spray of spit and snot that comes out of an infected person's mouth and nose. Most viruses travel from host to host through this spray that come from when a person talks, coughs, and breathes. So the purpose of us all wearing masks is to reduce the spread from all of the asymptomatic carriers so that we can feel comfortable to go in public again and get the world moving forward.
aTm2004
AG
HotardAg07 said:

If the majority of us wear masks while out in public places, the virus will have less chance to spread. Japan has managed to keep the virus at bay while doing business as usual. Restaurants are open, factories are open, everyone is working. Why? They all wear masks.

Don't get tripped up on the specifics. It's a ****ing pandemic, people. If there was one time in your whole ****ing life to just look stupid and put on a ****ing mask it would be right ****ing now. If we can all just not be ****ing selfish for a short period we can get back on with our old lives as much as possible and get the **** out of our houses.
Japan is also the way they are because they once decided to **** with the alphas.
Gap
AG
Seen it said multiple times today:

My freedom doesn't end where your fear begins.

There is a big difference between encouraging it (which is all that has ever been needed since the start of this to flatten the curve and you see it already occurring) and mandating it via the power of government.

Glad it covers all people except those most likely to be asymptomatic and give it unwittingly to their grandparents and kill them.
DuncanAg
AG
I understand asking people to wear masks in areas where people gather (grocery stores, etc) but requiring you to wear a mask when you are watching your kids ride bikes outside or taking the trash to the curb is ridiculous. Again, I will wait to see what the actual order says but if it covers ANYTIME your outside (with the exception of working out)....

Daddy-O5
AG
HotardAg07 said:

While I think there's a lot to be dissected in this post (as some other posters have done already), I don't generally disagree with your sentiment.

If you want to get all hot and bothered and type big 4 letter words on the internet, telling everyone how stupid and selfish they are for not wearing them be my guest, won't even argue with you. I would however disagree with any implication the government should mandate we not be "..... selfish".
HotardAg07
AG
I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been vulgar and used ad hominems. I'm just tired of being sheltered at home and lashing out.
cone
AG
I'd get labeled as corona bro pretty easily by this crew, but I don't think you need a mask on a walk with your family keeping distance from others.

You want to promote people to get outside, get sunlight and fresh air, and to be active.
AggieChemE09
AG
DuncanAg said:

I understand asking people to wear masks in areas where people gather (grocery stores, etc) but requiring you to wear a mask when you are watching your kids ride bikes outside or taking the trash to the curb is ridiculous. Again, I will wait to see what the actual order says but if it covers ANYTIME your outside (with the exception of working out)....

Quote:

From the article:
Under the order, the county's 4.7 million residents must cover their faces at all times except when exercising, eating or drinking, alone and in a separate space, at home with roommates or family or when doing so poses a greater risk to security, mental or physical health
I think they cover your examples
CowtownAg06
AG
I wonder if private offices count?
Ag_07
AG
HotardAg07 said:

If we can all just not be ****ing selfish for a short period we can get back on with our old lives as much as possible and get the **** out of our houses.

It's not about being selfish.

It's about the Big Brother gubbament telling Joe 'Merica what he has to do.

I don't get it. If I have to wear a mask for things to open I'll wear a mask. It's a not a big deal. Some people just get their panties in a bunch and scream unconstitutional injustice every time the government takes any kind of action.

It's the cool thing to do nowadays.
Ciboag96
COME AND MAKE ME
Velvet Jones
AG
Isn't exercising precisely when you're more likely to aerosolize potentially infected droplets?
sts7049
AG
if you want to not wear masks, it should be OK to do so. but define what repercussions there are if it's proven they transmitted or spread the virus.

or, just don't be a jackass and wear one. stop dissecting everything into "stop infringing muh liberties" or "well 9 year olds can spread it too so this is pointless"

society has lost the ability to think rationally.
CDUB98
AG
MiniShrike said:

Isn't exercising precisely when you're more likely to aerosolize potentially infected droplets?

Shhh. Don't bring logic.
CDUB98
AG
Making a statement that 9-year olds are the most likely to be asymptomatic and spread it, thus making the mask order dubious, IS rational thinking.
Unemployed
AG
MiniShrike said:

If you're exercising by yourself, who are you going to infect?
aggiedata
AG
She allowed us the privilege of not wearing a mask at home

"The only exceptions to the rule will be when exercising, eating, drinking, if you're alone in a separate place, or at your home."
cone
AG
WWII rationing wasn't left to the individual's opinion on the efficacy and requirement of such measures
CDUB98
AG
RealTalk said:

MiniShrike said:

If you're out at Memorial Park, potentially many.
Texaggie7nine
Texicurean said:

Would this one be in compliance?

7nine
Diggity
AG
well if anything, Lina has woken up this thread.
aTm2004
AG
sts7049 said:

if you want to not wear masks, it should be OK to do so. but define what repercussions there are if it's proven they transmitted or spread the virus.

or, just don't be a jackass and wear one. stop dissecting everything into "stop infringing muh liberties" or "well 9 year olds can spread it too so this is pointless"

society has lost the ability to think rationally.
Maybe if government hasn't proven time and time again that they'd continue to push boundaries when given even an inch, people wouldn't think like this.

You're right, society has lost the ability to think rationally. Fear has really taken over for a lot of people and they are willing to give up whatever the government wants to make them feel just a little safer.
AggieChemE09
AG
Diggity said:

well if anything, Lina has woken up this thread.
People watch nascar for the crashes too
aTm2004
AG
RealTalk said:

MiniShrike said:

If I'm running on a trail and pass another coming the other way.
cajunaggie08
AG
considering strep is a bacterial infection spread by coming in contact with the mucus of someone else with it, either your food delivery guy got pissed at you and left you a yellow surprise or someone else in your home has some explaining to do.
cone
AG
Quote:

You're right, society has lost the ability to think rationally.
we barely understand this disease

it's hard to be as rational as you expect in normal circumstances given the unknowns

there aren't any proven treatments and they're just now figuring out (at least stateside) that this thing isn't even presenting as classic pneumonia. that you could have severe pneumonia and hypoxia and not be short of breath.

i'd say high levels of caution are justified until they even figure out the typical disease progression, let alone a therapeutic
Unemployed
AG
aTm2004 said:

RealTalk said:

MiniShrike said:

If I'm running on a trail and pass another coming the other way.
People should still maintain social distancing. If you're aware of your surroundings, you should be able to do that.

But I get where y'all are coming from about being imposed upon by the government. I've been pretty diligent with the quarantine and taking measures to protect myself and my family. I understand there are a lot of people who don't feel the same way. I think it's dumb but just my opinion. Do what y'all feel is right.
First Page Last Page
Page 92 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.