Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,498,725 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

I cannot go back to work without schools opening up.

I can somewhat WFH, but if schools don't open, I can't work.

This coming from someone with a 2 year old and 6 year old. 6 isn't the issue; it's the 2 year old.

Have spouse, but she works as well.

For those saying school is done for the year, congrats. You're keeping the economy from opening back up. How else are people going to work at their job with kids at home?

~egon
Oldest just turned 7 last week, also have a 4 year old and a 16 month old. Life is tough around the 2004 household. The wife is a special ed teacher, so that helps since she doesn't need to do daily lesson plans/conferences.
Al Bula
AG
Be careful...

Dr. Doctor
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Dr. Doctor said:

This coming from someone with a 2 year old and 6 year old. 6 isn't the issue; it's the 2 year old.

For those saying school is done for the year, congrats. You're keeping the economy from opening back up. How else are people going to work at their job with kids at home?

~egon
I know it's not a perfect solution, but there are many daycares still open.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/03/26/list-these-daycares-will-be-open-for-kids-of-essential-employees-during-houston-area-stay-home-orders/
You going to spot the money to cover both my lost registration money and the new registration money? Cuz right now, it is $500 I lose for my current daycare situation. They can't open because they don't have the required "essential worker" license. And the place near me that would take the younger one can't take the older one.

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

For those saying school is done for the year, congrats. You're keeping the economy from opening back up.
people here being realists isn't keeping anything from opening. congrats on the sanctimony though.
Not being sanctimonious. Being a realist in the real sense. There are others out there, the actual single moms/dads with kids. Working somewhat dead-end jobs that are closed now, but once the order is lifted, how are they going to work? Think...hair salons. Obviously need the money. But when 1/2 to 3/4 of your workers can't work because they have to deal with caring for a kid, what then? How is that 'bringing the economy' back? The majority of workers, I argue, that have been sidelined or attempting to make it work do not have a full-time, stay-at-home parent. Both work, if they have 2 parents together. School or daycare is how they work; if those cannot open (or better yet, there is no spot for their kid), how are they going to work? "Bring your kid to work day" everyday?

I also don't understand why we can't push school into the summer. As it stands, if school is 'done' for the year, kids will have been out of school for 6 months before it starts again (assuming starts in August). Seeing how it takes a month for kids to get back into the groove after 2.5 months of Summer, what will 6 months do? How are you going to deal with the kids that did no learning because they couldn't over the 'break'? Why not push for 2 months of school (May and June), give a shorter summer and then start again like normal in August.

If it is 'safe' enough (mitigating the risks) for opening up society/economy again, why not schools? Look at the numbers; kids are highly unaffected, if they are affected at all. I realize some teachers are not in the best of health, but most are younger and somewhat fit. Where's the risk in that? If parents don't want to send their kids due to schools being an incubator for diseases, then they are within their rights to not go.

And my company is based on O&G work. I don't show up, I don't have a job. So either I leave the spawn at home and say "good luck" or I get to apply for unemployment and try to find a new job, along with probably 10% of Houston right now.

~egon

Dr. Doctor
AG
aTm2004 said:

Dr. Doctor said:

~egon
Oldest just turned 7 last week, also have a 4 year old and a 16 month old. Life is tough around the 2004 household. The wife is a special ed teacher, so that helps since she doesn't need to do daily lesson plans/conferences.
My wife works for a major insurance company at home, but she's on the phone from when she starts working till she takes a break for lunch. Then back on the phone till quitting time. There is not much help to watch kids AND work when you have to be working 100% of the time.

We have friends who have more kids, but they homeschool to begin with. Seriously considered throwing them some money and giving the two to them and 'adding' to the classroom.

~egon
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

You going to spot the money to cover both my lost registration money and the new registration money? Cuz right now, it is $500 I lose for my current daycare situation. They can't open because they don't have the required "essential worker" license. And the place near me that would take the younger one can't take the older one.
It sucks, but it's still a viable option and better than quitting.

I lost probably double that in extra flight costs to get out of Europe last month, and most likely will not see any refunds on the flights we had already bought that were canceled.

**** happens.
7nine
TXTransplant
Not trying to be a jerk, but your 2 year old's daycare not having the right license has absolutely nothing to do with K-12 schools opening back up.

If the $500 registration fee is the issue, can you work a deal with the daycare to give you a $500 credit towards your next month of tuition when they do open back up? That's, of course, assuming you aren't still paying tuition to a facility that is closed.

You'd still have to pay the registration fee at another facility, but at least you wouldn't "lose" any money.

Any chance you could hire a teacher from the daycare to come to your house? It wouldn't be cheap, but I'm sure the teacher would be happy to have the income (is a closed daycare still paying employees?) and it would help you out.

I get it...I'm a single mom. I thank God every day that my son is 15 and a really good kid. If he were 2 or 5 or even 10, this WFH thing would be more like WTF.

They can't extend school because teachers' contracts expire at the end of the school year. They would have to extend contracts, which means paying them more than their already allocated salary. Also, some teachers may have already terminated their existing contracts and/or signed contracts with other schools.

Teachers are not exempt employees like many want to believe they are.

Then there is the issue of parents not even sending their kids to school in the summer. They've been doing online school for the past few weeks and will continue to do so. At most, they could extend the year by the week or two that it took to get online instruction up and running.

This isn't a situation where there is reason to keep kids in school for the month of June and into July. They haven't missed that much school.

All the more reason why it makes sense to just keep doing the online thing and end the school year the last week of May.

Most experts are saying its only "safe" to open things back up IF you put proper social distancing and PPE requirements in place. Public schools are not places where social distancing happens. They are simply too crowded.

BMX Bandit
You are missing the point.

None of us want schools to stay closed. None of us have any say in the schools being closed or open.

Blaming those here saying schools aren't going to open is like blaming the weatherman your hair is going to get wet for telling you its going to rain tomorrow
Proposition Joe
Dr. Doctor said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Dr. Doctor said:

~egon
I know it's not a perfect solution, but there are many daycares still open.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/03/26/list-these-daycares-will-be-open-for-kids-of-essential-employees-during-houston-area-stay-home-orders/

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

For those saying school is done for the year, congrats. You're keeping the economy from opening back up.
people here being realists isn't keeping anything from opening. congrats on the sanctimony though.
Not being sanctimonious. Being a realist in the real sense. There are others out there, the actual single moms/dads with kids. Working somewhat dead-end jobs that are closed now, but once the order is lifted, how are they going to work? Think...hair salons. Obviously need the money. But when 1/2 to 3/4 of your workers can't work because they have to deal with caring for a kid, what then? How is that 'bringing the economy' back? The majority of workers, I argue, that have been sidelined or attempting to make it work do not have a full-time, stay-at-home parent. Both work, if they have 2 parents together. School or daycare is how they work; if those cannot open (or better yet, there is no spot for their kid), how are they going to work? "Bring your kid to work day" everyday?

I also don't understand why we can't push school into the summer. As it stands, if school is 'done' for the year, kids will have been out of school for 6 months before it starts again (assuming starts in August). Seeing how it takes a month for kids to get back into the groove after 2.5 months of Summer, what will 6 months do? How are you going to deal with the kids that did no learning because they couldn't over the 'break'? Why not push for 2 months of school (May and June), give a shorter summer and then start again like normal in August.

If it is 'safe' enough (mitigating the risks) for opening up society/economy again, why not schools? Look at the numbers; kids are highly unaffected, if they are affected at all. I realize some teachers are not in the best of health, but most are younger and somewhat fit. Where's the risk in that? If parents don't want to send their kids due to schools being an incubator for diseases, then they are within their rights to not go.

And my company is based on O&G work. I don't show up, I don't have a job. So either I leave the spawn at home and say "good luck" or I get to apply for unemployment and try to find a new job, along with probably 10% of Houston right now.

~egon

Much of this post is filled with questions you know the answer to. It's fine to want what you want - many people would agree with you in those wants -- but don't be obtuse just to try and make a point.

* Everyone understands that keeping schools closed is not good for the economy.

* It's not that easy to "push school into the summer" because not only all the preparation that it takes (for both the building as well as the staff and teachers), but also for exactly the scenario you presented -- kids getting back into the groove of school after 6 months isn't going to be any easier than kids getting back into the groove after 2 months, then having a 1.5 month summer, then getting them back into the groove after another 2 months.

* Comparing the safety of opening up schools to the safety of slowly opening up the economy again are apples to oranges. Thousands of kids in classrooms swapping germs with one another then going home and spreading it to their families (who are in turn going to work) is a risk far greater than Kohl's letting 50 people into their store an hour. If the % of dying/hospitalized kids under 18 was the only factor then yes we'd have them back in school - but it's the % of kids under 18 that are potential carriers of the disease that is the issue.

I don't disagree with your want to go back to work, and I won't even argue against you wanting to just go ahead and get it started as there's cases to be made on both sides of that equation -- but your comparisons are purposely obtuse to make your case.
AgLiving06
Don't forget the $17 million we are shelling out for tents at NRG.

I suspect we will need a "new permanent tax" to pay this off.
CDUB98
AG
$60MM
TexAg91
AG
Feds paying $43M of the $60M
T Durden
AG
On channel 2 news they said around 9 or so million was spent so far. So if people and meds aren't required for the 250 beds then it wouldn't cost much more.

But...they also had Ed E. on as well and he of course had better ideas. Like use a hotel that is unoccupied for the 250 beds. Guy makes a lot of sense.
cone
AG
Quote:

Look at the numbers; kids are highly unaffected, if they are affected at all.

but the kids being vectors is the point

you close the schools as mitigation

it's probably the most effective single thing you can do

enforcing social distancing in elementary school is going to be impossible

if you're opening schools you're pretty much signaling you're ready for another wave of epidemic
Diggity
AG
Let's do it
cone
AG
do what?
Diggity
AG
Open it up.
tylercsbn9
AG
People also wanting schools pushed to summer don't know how teacher contracts work. Since teachers are currently working to zoom with parents, record lesson videos, etc they are fulfilling the days in their contract so the districts can't add more days in the summer without additional pay
cone
AG
y'all be my guest

I think we'll stick in the control group for a couple more months

at least get through clinical trials before my kids get sent to take home diseased blankets
Diggity
AG
I understand your viewpoint as well.
Jet Black
Good lord, cone has kids. I bet they are a nervous wreck. Have you turned a room into your house into an enclosed bubble yet?
LostInLA07
AG
I am NOT a Lina fan but I have read that there are a lot of issues with using hotels due to shared ventilation amount the rooms and common areas spreading the virus.
HouAggie2007
Not to mention the hotel having to deal with the stigma of being a virus hotspot afterwards
IrishTxAggie
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

Not to mention the hotel having to deal with the stigma of being a virus hotspot afterwards

Yeah. Unless it's ZaZa...you know...communicable diseases and everything.
Bondag
AG
T Durden said:

On channel 2 news they said around 9 or so million was spent so far. So if people and meds aren't required for the 250 beds then it wouldn't cost much more.

But...they also had Ed E. on as well and he of course had better ideas. Like use a hotel that is unoccupied for the 250 beds. Guy makes a lot of sense.

Or use NRG next door for 1/4 of cost.

GiggityAg01
AG
Bondag said:

T Durden said:

The costs would actually be higher. Aramarks contract says only they can perform medical procedures in the permanent facilities at NRG so then we'd be paying for doctors and nurses to stand next to AraMark employees and tell them exactly what to do.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

HTF does one practice social distancing at a strip club? A friend wants to know.
2' rule becomes the 6' rule?
HouAggie2007
That dick of a police officer was released today from the hospital so we can all call him an ******* now without any chance of feeling bad about it
IrishTxAggie
AG
Hope his soon to be ex-wife gives him the John Wayne Bobbitt
Bondag
AG
GiggityAg01 said:

Bondag said:

T Durden said:

The costs would actually be higher. Aramarks contract says only they can perform medical procedures in the permanent facilities at NRG so then we'd be paying for doctors and nurses to stand next to AraMark employees and tell them exactly what to do.

Haha. I have seen costs for 60, 250, 500, and 1,000 bed temp hospitals across US in the. Past month. The 60 was cheapest because it was a half built hospital that they just expedited to turn into a 60 bed ICU, but the rest were convention centers that were under 10,000 per bed.
Fitch
AG
+316

Jack Cheese
AG
LostInLA07 said:

I am NOT a Lina fan but I have read that there are a lot of issues with using hotels due to shared ventilation amount the rooms and common areas spreading the virus.

No. They don't put the 'rona infectees in the hotels, they are used to keep beds clear in the hospitals for the 'ronas.
redag06
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

redag06 said:

Someone doesn't understand teacher contracts.

Nope, but to say they have been "working" during this time is a stretch.

My wife has been working just as hard as being at work, then add in watching two toddlers while doing her job.
LostInLA07
AG
Ah yes. Good point.
BohunkAg
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

That dick of a police officer was released today from the hospital so we can all call him an ******* now without any chance of feeling bad about it
What's the deal with this guy?
IrishTxAggie
AG
BohunkAg said:

HouAggie2007 said:

What's the deal with this guy?
The cop that had the virus and after he was diagnosed refused to tell the officials where he was at cookoff because he is married and he was there with his side piece
First Page Last Page
Page 87 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.