Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,494,014 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
not until we test and track every man, woman, and child!
Bondag
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Or that we closed it down too early.
We were talking about schools at work today and people thought it was crazy they have not officially been closed for the year.

I said we should open if back up for 3-4 weeks and let the asymptomatic carriers spread it around to others and try to get herd immunity with low symptom cases. Get the next round started and try to end this thing.
Texaggie7nine
Bondag said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Or that we closed it down too early.
We were talking about schools at work today and people thought it was crazy they have not officially been closed for the year.

I said we should open if back up for 3-4 weeks and let the asymptomatic carriers spread it around to others and try to get herd immunity with low symptom cases. Get the next round started and try to end this thing.
If we could keep all those kids isolated at school for 4 weeks and not going back home, I'd be all for it.
7nine
redag06
Supposedly that announcement will be coming today regarding schools.
Post removed:
by user
Ag_07
AG
I think things will start open back up in another 2 weeks

This way if there was any kind of uptick in spread due to the Easter holiday those cases will have been isolated.
TXTransplant
We talked a few days ago (last week maybe?) about what opening businesses is going to look like. And it's likely going to involve limiting occupancy so that people can stay a safe distance from one another. Which means limiting the number of people who are allowed in stores, restaurants, and offices at any given time. It's also probably going to mean wearing masks.

In theory, you could do this at a school, but I think it would be very difficult. Schools just aren't designed to support social distancing, and I don't think we can trust kids to self-police. Teachers have enough to do already - there would be zero instruction going on if they all of a sudden became responsible for keeping kids 6 feet apart. And the mask issue is just a whole other enforcement problem.

At least for my kid and his district, online learning seems to be going well. He watches pre-recorded lectures, does assignments, and even gets a tuba lesson once a week via Zoom.

I just don't think districts are going to take the risk to let kids back at school for a couple of weeks. And districts certainly don't want the responsibility of keeping kids compliant with social distancing rules. Stinks for parents who have to go back to work, but considering we've figured out how to make things work the last four weeks, I think we can make it to the end of the school year.

The bigger issue is going to be keeping teens and tweens out of the businesses that reopen and from congregating in large groups in neighborhoods and parks.
redag06
Teachers have been working during this time, and their contracts end within a few days after school ends.

You aren't extending school in to the summer, as the teachers aren't paid for that in their current contracts. School is not going back this school year. Those announcements will start VERY soon, actually started yesterday with Ft. Bend ISD's announcement.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Sorry teach, your summer break is going to be shorter this year, earn your full paycheck.
TXTransplant
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Sorry teach, your summer break is going to be shorter this year, earn your full paycheck.

I don't think most parents want this either. Speaking as a parent, I'd MUCH rather have the kids finish up the year online rather than have it extended into June or July. Just too many logistical and financial issues.
redag06
Someone doesn't understand teacher contracts.
RK
AG
after teaching my kids for 3 weeks, those teachers earn their full paychecks.
aTm2004
AG
Yep. Those moving districts will be under a new district in a month or so, so your sex trophy will be teacherless if their teacher moves to a new district or school within the district.
aTm2004
AG
The difference between kids at school vs at home, at least with mine, is night and day. All we hear from their teachers is how much of an angel they are and how well mannered they are, etc. My wife and I look at each other and wonder if they have the right kid.

My 4 year old son's pre-school teacher tells us how sweet he is and how he's always helping others in the class. "He's just the nicest and most caring boy" is what they say. All I can think about his the flying elbow he landed on his sister from the ottoman for no reason other than he wanted to.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
redag06 said:

Nope, but to say they have been "working" during this time is a stretch.
jenn96
AG
aTm2004 said:

The difference between kids at school vs at home, at least with mine, is night and day. All we hear from their teachers is how much of an angel they are and how well mannered they are, etc. My wife and I look at each other and wonder if they have the right kid.

My 4 year old son's pre-school teacher tells us how sweet he is and how he's always helping others in the class. "He's just the nicest and most caring boy" is what they say. All I can think about his the flying elbow he landed on his sister from the ottoman for no reason other than he wanted to.
OMG did we just become best friends? Because that is my day every day.
Texaggie7nine
That is the reason the people saying "OMG give teachers raises, how do they deal with this every day?!?" aren't fully understanding the difference of having structured environments that put children into a much more controllable state than hanging at home with mom and dad.
7nine
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Exactly, mine have realized that everyday is a weekend and mom and dad are barely treading water with work to even attempt anything other than refereeing and damage control
RK
AG
aTm2004 said:

we are in the same boat. it used to perplex me, but then i thought...it's probably just like me at work vs me at home.
BohunkAg
AG
aTm2004 said:

My boys are sh-tty at school and sh-tty at home so meh.
Teddy Perkins
AG

redag06 said:

My kids' teachers have been busting their ass filming themselves teaching lessons every day, responding to every homework/activity entry, answering parent's questions, troubleshooting logins, zooms, and other IT issues. And have done all of these things with patience and while having their own kids video bombing their lectures and interrupting. They've earned their paycheck and then some, IMO.
Tabasco
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

redag06 said:

My kids' teachers have been busting their ass filming themselves teaching lessons every day, responding to ever homework/activity entry, answering parent's questions, troubleshooting logins, zooms, and other IT issues. And have done all of these things with patience and while having their own kids video bombing their lectures and interrupting. They've earned their paycheck and then some, IMO.
we get one email a week of teachers saying positive things, obviously directed by the district. Nothing against teachers. The districts are doing just enough to justify federal funding for the year.
Tabasco
AG
And lets be honest. Good for FBISD for stating the obvious. School is done for the year. Everyone has checked out. Districts are doing the minimum for grades for the semester. AP exams in May have been severely dialed back. Everyone is done.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I cannot go back to work without schools opening up.

I can somewhat WFH, but if schools don't open, I can't work.

This coming from someone with a 2 year old and 6 year old. 6 isn't the issue; it's the 2 year old.

Have spouse, but she works as well.

For those saying school is done for the year, congrats. You're keeping the economy from opening back up. How else are people going to work at their job with kids at home?

~egon
IrishTxAggie
AG
Turner and Hidalgo are ****ing idiots...All this crap over this. Probably the best graph I've seen so far.
CowtownAg06
AG
What was your plan June-August? Also for the 2 year old... day cares still open. We're thinking about sending our 4 year back.
TXTransplant
Dr. Doctor said:

This coming from someone with a 2 year old and 6 year old. 6 isn't the issue; it's the 2 year old.

For those saying school is done for the year, congrats. You're keeping the economy from opening back up. How else are people going to work at their job with kids at home?

~egon

I know you're a sensible poster, so let's stop with the misdirected blame. We ARE NOT saying school is done for the year because we want it to be done. And we are NOT the ones keeping the economy from opening back up.

I'd love nothing more than for my kid to go back to school. It's where he needs to be, despite how "well" he's doing at home. I want to go back to work in an office building.

We've just seen the writing on the wall. NO district is going to assume the responsibility (more like LIABILITY) of bringing hundreds to thousands of kids back into a confined space for a couple of weeks of instruction. Regardless of what we want, it's not going to happen.

We aren't like a lot of other states - school is over by the end of May. For some districts, it's over before Memorial Day.

No district is going to say opening up for a couple of weeks is worth the risk of an outbreak - unless Gov. Abbott says they have to reopen. And I just don't see that happening.

If I'm wrong, I will gladly eat my words. But this is not something I'm going to get my hopes up over. Better to just accept it and try to work around it as best we can.
Texaggie7nine
Dr. Doctor said:

~egon
I know it's not a perfect solution, but there are many daycares still open.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/03/26/list-these-daycares-will-be-open-for-kids-of-essential-employees-during-houston-area-stay-home-orders/
7nine
jenn96
AG
Tabasco said:

Teddy Perkins said:

redag06 said:

My kids' teachers have been busting their ass filming themselves teaching lessons every day, responding to ever homework/activity entry, answering parent's questions, troubleshooting logins, zooms, and other IT issues. And have done all of these things with patience and while having their own kids video bombing their lectures and interrupting. They've earned their paycheck and then some, IMO.
we get one email a week of teachers saying positive things, obviously directed by the district. Nothing against teachers. The districts are doing just enough to justify federal funding for the year.

That sucks that you have crappy teachers/districts. Mine have been amazing and clearly doing everything they can, and all of them have kids at home and working spouses as well.
Tabasco
AG
jenn96 said:

Tabasco said:

Teddy Perkins said:

redag06 said:

That sucks that you have crappy teachers/districts. Mine have been amazing and clearly doing everything they can, and all of them have kids at home and working spouses as well.
I'm not saying they are crappy or not trying. Sorry if it came across that way. They clearly are. All have reached out and have been very supportive. My point was more to to the fact that it is pretty clear to me that things are done for the year.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

For those saying school is done for the year, congrats. You're keeping the economy from opening back up.
people here being realists isn't keeping anything from opening. congrats on the sanctimony though.
kapon
AG
Bassmaster said:

I think the lack of posts on this thread for the past couple of days is indicative that this thing has run its course and the Tine is ready to get back to work.
I was thinking the same thing this morning.
Gig-Em2003
AG
RK said:

aTm2004 said:

we are in the same boat. it used to perplex me, but then i thought...it's probably just like me at work vs me at home.
Exactly. We all reserve the worst of ourselves for our families.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
HTF does one practice social distancing at a strip club? A friend wants to know.
aTm2004
AG
RK said:

aTm2004 said:

I'm the same at work that I am at home. Back when I was single and mixing work with pleasure, more than one told me that I'm no different away from work than when I'm there. I guess it's easier to just be me. The thing is, I'm not sure which one is the real child...the angel or the devil.
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.