Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,547 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.hcphtx.org/Resources/2019-Novel-Coronavirus/Harris-County-COVID-19-Confirmed-Cases

They update this site daily at 3:00PM. But it's been lagging the Johns Hopkins tracker for a while now, by what would seem more than the "updated once a day" lag.

https://infection2020.com/
Poot
Am I wrong in saying Harris County doesn't report City of Houston numbers? I know at the pressers they were saying the City would release their own numbers, but I'm not sure in this case.
BMX Bandit
Poot said:

Am I wrong in saying Harris County doesn't report City of Houston numbers? I know at the pressers they were saying the City would release their own numbers, but I'm not sure in this case.

Houston does in the city limits
Harris county does other than Houston city limits

The state & national "maps" add them together
Poot
BMX Bandit said:

Poot said:

Houston does in the city limits
Harris county does other than Houston city limits

The state & national "maps" add them together

Gotcha. Thanks.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Thanks!

That's well... Just beyond dumb... But so is the County Judge... So I guess that makes sense.
the4aces
AG
Is there any talk about preventing Louisiana travelers into TX?
Fitch
AG
There's already a requirement for anyone coming from New Orleans to self quarantine for 14 days. I don't believe that applies to all of Louisiana though.
Ronnie
AG
Quote:

If you want the economy to be less cyclical, move back towards manufacturing. But you'll have to get China to agree to higher wages, the Capital holders in the US (1% people) to agree to less money and the same group to spend investments here. Oh, and cut back on efficiency gains (hire more people to do mechanical jobs).
In the chemicals sector, I have personally seen investment more driven by feedstock price advantages than workforce salaries. The latest surge in US investment (many billions in the gulf coast) was driven by the shale gas feedstock advantage. For the ones still in execution I predict they'll finish. It'll be interesting to see if the ones in planning slow down or go away due to the economy being depressed. The feedstock fundamentals aren't changed by all this in the long run in my opinion.
BMX Bandit
Fitch said:

There's already a requirement for anyone coming from New Orleans to self quarantine for 14 days. I don't believe that applies to all of Louisiana though.

That's only air travel though.
BowSowy
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Fitch said:

I think Abbott just mentioned check points at all TX/LA border crossings
pasquale
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Fitch said:

Not anymore after today
. . .
Abbott:

25,483 Texans tested for COVID19
Of those tested, 2,552 confirmed positive
118 counties where someone tested positive
176 people in hospitals who have tested positive
34 fatalities connected to COVID19 (when I say connection, people who may have COVID19 but also a host of other medical ailments)

On average, less than 10% people who were tested test positive; 90% people who tested for COVID19 test negative
Of people who are tested, less than 10% who test positive are going to hospitals; 90% people who test positive are not needing to go to a hospital
Most of these numbers are results of personal interactions before distancing practices

Number of hospital beds available for COVID19 positive patients doubled
March 18: 8,100 hospital beds for COVID19
March 26: 16,000 beds for COVID19 patients
Increase does not include increased potential occupancy rooms as a result of my other EO requiring the doubling of beds in rooms capable of having two beds
Number of available beds and rooms should be even larger than the number provided today

Number of Texans hospitalized with connection to COVID19 is less than 2% of available hospital room capacity; COVID hospital vacancy rate of 98%
Plenty of hospital capacity for COVID19 today

Existing hospitals will continue to be primary location for those in need

Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Dallas will be set up to expand healthcare facilities
As we gather today, in the KBHCC, already large scale medical kits & equipment that exists
Capacity for 250 beds with plenty of room to massively expand that number if needed

Additional executive orders:
Massive spread in New Orleans/Louisiana
Prior EO about travel from New Orleans covered air travel; Updating EO to also include travel by road from any location in the State of Louisiana; does not apply to commercial activity, military service, emergency/health response, critical infrastructure functions

Expanding EO requiring quarantine of passengers flying into Texas to include more locations: Miami, FL; Atlanta, GA; Detroit, MI; Chicago, IL; any air travel from CA and Washington State

Issuing EO to stop the release of dangerous felons from prisons & jails in Texas. Releasing dangerous criminals is not the right solution. Doing so now is prohibited by law.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Did he say anything about schools?
BMX Bandit
smango05 said:

Did he say anything about schools?

Unless you are in a rural county, i don't see how the school closure doenst get extended past Easter
Jet Black
So the hospitals currently aren't close to being overrun.
TXTransplant
Ronnie said:

Quote:

If you want the economy to be less cyclical, move back towards manufacturing. But you'll have to get China to agree to higher wages, the Capital holders in the US (1% people) to agree to less money and the same group to spend investments here. Oh, and cut back on efficiency gains (hire more people to do mechanical jobs).
In the chemicals sector, I have personally seen investment more driven by feedstock price advantages than workforce salaries. The latest surge in US investment (many billions in the gulf coast) was driven by the shale gas feedstock advantage. For the ones still in execution I predict they'll finish. It'll be interesting to see if the ones in planning slow down or go away due to the economy being depressed. The feedstock fundamentals aren't changed by all this in the long run in my opinion.

Crude oil at $20/barrel massively impacts the feedstock advantage. It will be interesting to see what happens if oil doesn't come back.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Just plan on your kids not going back to school this year.
. . .
"This week, meeting with Mike Morath of TEA and will talk with him about his assessment of what needs to be done with regard to school closures and will make a decision based on consultation with Dr. Hellerstedt."

Turner:

This morning, we were at 232 + 54 cases (286)
Fully expect there are more cases.

Of the 232 cases ("We may be off a few percentage points but not very much")
50% female
43% male

20-29: 11%
30-39: 15%
40-49: 20%
50-59: 16%
60-69: 17%
70-79: 7%
80-89: 4%
90-99: 1.1%

Most people in this 286 are attending to their situation at home and not going to hospitals
Over last 24 hours, working with stakeholders, FEMA, county, city, all the partners to make sure we're able to test in the CoH.
Initial supplies to do 250 tests per site
Shanghai is sending 1,200 N95 mask; 20,000 KN95 masks
AgsMyDude
AG
Sounds like our measures are keeping the hospitals in good shape
Tabasco
AG
Quote:

Of 232 ("We may be off a few percentage points but not very much")
50% female
43% male

did he really say that, both the percents and the quote!? (would not surprise me)
TexAgs1992
Tabasco said:

Quote:

Of 232 ("We may be off a few percentage points but not very much")
50% female
43% male

did he really say that, both the percents and the quote!? (would not surprise me)
He sure did. My father and I were cackling.
94chem
TXTransplant said:

Ronnie said:

Quote:

Crude oil at $20/barrel massively impacts the feedstock advantage. It will be interesting to see what happens if oil doesn't come back.

I heard on VERY good authority, several years ago, that $20 oil is the price point where liquid feedstock becomes competitive. I would think margins could get temporarily killed, but oil won't stay at 20. I'm way more concerned about overall global demand for the downstream products.
Betoisafurry
BowSowy said:

BMX Bandit said:

Fitch said:

I think Abbott just mentioned check points at all TX/LA border crossings

I'll be driving back from fourchon in a few days, I'll report back if I'm able to successfully sneak across
BMX Bandit
Trump extends federal guidelines to April 30.

Safe bet Harris county will be keep it's orders in place much longer than the initial time frame
TXTransplant
94chem said:

TXTransplant said:

Ronnie said:

Quote:

I heard on VERY good authority, several years ago, that $20 oil is the price point where liquid feedstock becomes competitive. I would think margins could get temporarily killed, but oil won't stay at 20. I'm way more concerned about overall global demand for the downstream products.

I thought even crude oil at $30 made it a competitive feedstock for plastic, but I could be wrong. Certainly $20 doesn't help the situation.

I agree it probably won't stay at $20, but it really needs to be up around $50, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The industry is getting hammered from all directions - tariffs, drop in crude oil $, and now a potential drop in demand.

I think plastics is probably in a little bit better position than gasoline - people aren't driving, but they still are buying all sorts of stuff that needs plastic. But if this goes on for too long, who knows what could happen.
Ronnie
AG
TXTransplant said:

94chem said:

TXTransplant said:

Ronnie said:

Quote:

I thought even crude oil at $30 made it a competitive feedstock for plastic, but I could be wrong. Certainly $20 doesn't help the situation.

I agree it probably won't stay at $20, but it really needs to be up around $50, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The industry is getting hammered from all directions - tariffs, drop in crude oil $, and now a potential drop in demand.

I think plastics is probably in a little bit better position than gasoline - people aren't driving, but they still are buying all
sorts of stuff that needs plastic. But if this goes on for too long, who knows what could happen.
All good points. I'll stand by my statement that the feedstock advantage will come back, and the broader point I was making which is wages are trumped by feedstock costs, always.

Economy in recession hurts everyone's margins, C2= and C3= derivatives aren't going away as stated above, but the discretionary spending and overall downward pressure on prices will squeeze margins and force out the old plants, just like the new investment would have/is doing. In a booming market, stable companies will use their underperformers to prop up their volume. In a tight market those plants will mothball/shutter.
94chem
TXTransplant said:

94chem said:

TXTransplant said:

Ronnie said:

Quote:

I think plastics is probably in a little bit better position than gasoline - people aren't driving, but they still are buying all sorts of stuff that needs plastic. But if this goes on for too long, who knows what could happen.

You are correct. $30 applies pressure on margins; $20 changes investment decisions on feedstock.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman
Galveston gettin' ahead of Kappa / Beach Party Weekend I see.
T Durden
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Galveston gettin' ahead of Kappa / Beach Party Weekend I see.

Oh no! That and Freaknik 2020. How am I going to wile out this year!
Stat Monitor Repairman
Which raises another issue ...

How many people gonna get killed the night after the lockdown gets lifted? You gonna have a bunch of wild ass animals runnin' out gettin turnt with a pocket full of Trump bux.

Hell, I may be one of em. Who knows?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Now is the time to invest in rims. Think the run on toilet paper was bad, just watch and wait.
swimmerbabe11
Harris county now with most cases in Texas at 526 (overtaking Dallas who has 488) but so far, our death rate is far lower than theirs.

Remembering of course, with this reporting, present numbers reflect past data since testing has a 4 day turnaround (unless something has changed)
TXTransplant
swimmerbabe11 said:

Harris county now with most cases in Texas at 526 (overtaking Dallas who has 488) but so far, our death rate is far lower than theirs.

Remembering of course, with this reporting, present numbers reflect past data since testing has a 4 day turnaround (unless something has changed)

I read something today that said turnaround time is more like 6 to as many as 10 days. But I can't find the link.
First Page Last Page
Page 62 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.