Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,633 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
spadilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Fort Bend County to make "major announcement" today at 4:30.

Shelter in place/stay at home announcement?

CDUB98
AG
Guarantee it's just another stay at home order, but just like others, they have to be all attention whooooring about it and try to cry out the loudest.
txags92
AG
Again, with the slow turnaround of testing and the large number of people being told they don't need a test, using that 200 number to do any math on this is just silly. We likely have thousands of people in Houston that are positive and shedding virus right now. Without the distancing measures, we would have 10s of thousands of positive cases within 1-2 weeks, and then the math on how many beds we would need would start to get ugly.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Do the Ft. Bend County officials have embroidered crisis management fishing shirts?

If no, why not?
Scantron882
AG

Keep our hands virus free St. Michael, patron saint of hands.
Zemira
AG
Well my company in Fort Bend County made an announcement at noon they were following the Harris County stay at home order anticipating the 4:30 announcement.

Good news I'm not essential, bad news I'm not essential. Good news I get to be at home, bad news they are about 5 years behind on the paperless/connectivity front because we are small. So I won't have much to do unless I can think of some work arounds.

I like my job and I like going in to work. Going to have to figure out something to entertain myself and hope we get the all clear next Friday.
kubiak03
AG
Can anyone find the official announcement for this? I am having no luck.
BMX Bandit
here is the language of the order:

https://www.readyharris.org/stay-home
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't think they've released it yet.

Edit: Well never mind. Apparently they did.
Liquid Wrench
Are lawn crews considered essential?

The second the sun starts to peak out and look like it might be nice to hang out in the yard, the leafblowers and crap all start up at the elderly yard Nazis' houses.

We all know a leaf on the lawn is an evil scourge that must be combatted at least 1-3 times a week.
Diggity
AG
Body By Fisher said:

Are lawn crews considered essential?
yes
combat wombat™
AG
Zemira, do CPE while you are at home if you REALLY can't do anything else.

Download TeamViewer (get permission first) on your office machine and set it up for remote access... then you can log in from home and get work done. If you are not paperless just take home a couple of boxed of client data/files. TeamViewer is like sitting at your desk at the office.

Make sure you set your office computer to not go to sleep.

You can use the free version if you download for personal use. Might not be in compliance license-wise so check it out.
drumboy
AG
Body By Fisher said:

We all know a leaf on the lawn is an evil scourge that must be combatted at least 1-3 times a week.
I get passive aggressive texts from the crazy old hermit lady next door about keeping my driveway clean and the leaves from going into her yard. She even has had her lawn guy blow my sidewalks because she thinks it looks better if I keep them clean like everyone else on my street.

Here are my trees:
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
BMX Bandit said:

here is the language of the order:

https://www.readyharris.org/stay-home
WOW, Seems like they actually put so effort into it unlike Galveston.
TXTransplant
Bregxit said:

Quote:

The Montgomery County Public Health District (MCPHD) notified the District that a 13-19 year old student attending school in the Oak Ridge Feeder Zone on Friday, March 6, 2020, has tested positive for COVID-19. According to our local health department, the student was not experiencing symptoms while at school, only developing symptoms during Spring Break, which would make any exposure risk to students or staff on Friday, March 6, 2020 very low. Due to privacy laws, we are unable to provide further details. The MCPHD will continue to manage the notification of any individuals as it pertains to COVID-19 exposure.

Awesome. Exact scenario we had with my 10YO in CISD. Came home the 6th, said she felt weird. Cratered 30 minutes later and was down for a week with an "undetermined virus". Negative for flu, strep and whatever else they tested for. Her school is an Oak Ridge feeder.

This has been bugging me because the timeline doesn't make sense.

This case was announced yesterday, the 23rd. Note above says the kid started experiencing symptoms over spring break. Spring break for CISD was the week of March 8. So, two weeks later we are finally hearing about this case.

Did it take this long for the kid to be tested and/or the results to be reported? Or are known cases not being made public in a timely manner?

There are at least two other cases I'm aware of where there seems to be a significant delay between onset of symptoms and, in one case, hospitalization and notification of people who might have been exposed.

How are you supposed to track down other people who were potentially exposed if two weeks or more passes before results are reported?

Just one more reason why stay at home really is the only/best option.
Bregxit
AG
TXTransplant said:

Bregxit said:

Quote:

The Montgomery County Public Health District (MCPHD) notified the District that a 13-19 year old student attending school in the Oak Ridge Feeder Zone on Friday, March 6, 2020, has tested positive for COVID-19. According to our local health department, the student was not experiencing symptoms while at school, only developing symptoms during Spring Break, which would make any exposure risk to students or staff on Friday, March 6, 2020 very low. Due to privacy laws, we are unable to provide further details. The MCPHD will continue to manage the notification of any individuals as it pertains to COVID-19 exposure.

Awesome. Exact scenario we had with my 10YO in CISD. Came home the 6th, said she felt weird. Cratered 30 minutes later and was down for a week with an "undetermined virus". Negative for flu, strep and whatever else they tested for. Her school is an Oak Ridge feeder.

This has been bugging me because the timeline doesn't make sense.

This case was announced yesterday, the 23rd. Note above says the kid started experiencing symptoms over spring break. Spring break for CISD was the week of March 8. So, two weeks later we are finally hearing about this case.

Did it take this long for the kid to be tested and/or the results to be reported? Or are known cases not being made public in a timely manner?

There are at least two other cases I'm aware of where there seems to be a significant delay between onset of symptoms and, in one case, hospitalization and notification of people who might have been exposed.

How are you supposed to track down other people who were potentially exposed if two weeks or more passes before results are reported?

Just one more reason why stay at home really is the only/best option.

I think the lack of tests available during those first couple of weeks is why the reporting is delayed. May daughter had the symptoms but there was no testing available on 3/6 or 3/9. She had two negative flu tests on those days and whatever else her pedi tested for the on the 9th.

Something else interesting was this kid and case #2 both had recent travel history to NOLA. And both are in SE MoCo. I am wondering if this is a mommy/daughter combo?

Quote:

Case # 2 A woman, in her 40s, who resides in Southeast Montgomery County. She remains in a hospital in Harris County, in critical condition. Her only travel was to New Orleans. (reported 3/12/2020)

Case # 16 A female teenager, 13-19 years old, who resides in Southeast Montgomery County. She is in isolation at her home. She has recent travel to New Orleans. (reported 3/23/2020)
txags92
AG
Yes, the early tests took quite a while, because they were being sent to CDC labs. Being a model of government efficiency, the CDC labs were to put it lightly, slow. They actually just announced a death in Gunnison, Colorado where the person was dead for over a week before the received the positive test results. There can also be a very long incubation period, and even once the patient is symptomatic, it can take another 5-7 days to become severe enough to cause somebody to get tested.
combat wombat™
AG
Quote:

Professional services, such as legal or accounting services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities.

Hey, look at that, they didn't shut down legal and accounting firms.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Drove by Fry Rd. HEB and Cypress and it's back to hysteria levels, 30 people lined outside just to get in, zero of the practicing social distancing.

Meanwhile at Fiesta, you can park 15 feet from the door and go buy anything you want and be back home 20 minutes later.
Bregxit
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Drove by Fry Rd. HEB and Cypress and it's back to hysteria levels, 30 people lined outside just to get in, zero of the practicing social distancing.

Meanwhile at Fiesta, you can park 15 feet from the door and go buy anything you want and be back home 20 minutes later.

Probably people finished up work for the day and needed groceries. HEB is controlling access to the store. I just went to HEB myself around 2:30 and there was no line but they were counting in and outs. I actually saw toilet paper in the wild today lol.
Zemira
AG
All that sounds great but somehow they are about a decade in behind when it comes to technology and working from home.

I have been trying to suggest going more digital slowly in the 5 months I have been here. I am met with not hostility, but moving someone's cheese (there are only 15 of us too!). I guess after we get through this, maybe going fully digital will get some traction.

They are a nice bunch, just behind the times.
Stat Monitor Repairman
MuckRaker96 said:

MuckRaker96 shops at Fiesta Mart (c. 2020)
combat wombat™
AG
Like I said, just take home all your hard files and log into your desktop machine via Team Viewer. Don't need a paperless office for that. As a matter of fact, I did it with the last firm I was employed with prior to starting my own firm.
aggiemike02
AG
Sucks this was Mikey's fate.
TXTransplant
txags92 said:

Yes, the early tests took quite a while, because they were being sent to CDC labs. Being a model of government efficiency, the CDC labs were to put it lightly, slow. They actually just announced a death in Gunnison, Colorado where the person was dead for over a week before the received the positive test results. There can also be a very long incubation period, and even once the patient is symptomatic, it can take another 5-7 days to become severe enough to cause somebody to get tested.

I figured it was lack of testing. Reporting the date of testing and the date the positive test result is returned would be helpful information, but I doubt the CDC and even private labs want anyone to know just how slow they are.

As far as the delay in symptoms is concerned, the article I questioned said this girl was symptomatic over spring break - which was two weeks ago. And one of the other cases I know about, the person had already been hospitalized before notice went out to people who may have been exposed. Of course, hospitalization may have been what it took for that person to get a test.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm not convinced county officials aren't waiting to report positive cases to the public.
gougler08
AG
Richmond Kroger fully stocked and no line just a bit ago
Tom Hagen
AG
Are golf courses exempt? Or, is it a road trip to Montgomery County this weekend.
Sazerac
AG
the essential services list has got to be like 50% of the work force exempt, right?
Zemira
AG
At least. And a lot of places have contracts with law enforcement and the government to provide goods or services they need to operate so they fall under the essential category.
07fta07
AG
Road trip to Montgomery County
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Quote:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm not convinced county officials aren't waiting to report positive cases to the public.

You will never convince me that our "leaders" are not politically motivated with handling this. I'm not just talking about Lina and Sly.
. . .
Quote:

Harris County extends disaster declaration

Commissioners Court voted Tuesday to extend Harris County's disaster declaration, one of several items to bolster its response to the novel coronavirus, hours after County Judge Lina Hidalgo announced a sweeping stay-at-home order.

The declaration, which allows departments to more quickly purchases needed supplies and services, will remain in effect until April 29. Republican commissioners Steve Radack and Jack Cagle voted no, noting that Gov. Greg Abbott's measures to combat coronavirus expire April 3.

Court members, by the same 3-2 tally, also waived all tolls collected on county roads through April 29. The Harris County Toll Road Authority stopped accepting cash on March 12, to reduce potential exposure of toll collectors to the virus or the illness it causes, COVID-19.

Inmates at the Harris County Jail, which suspended in-person visits on March 14, also will receive three additional free phone calls per week. Commissioners Court unanimously agreed to supplement the existing two free weekly calls provided by the phone vendor, Securus.

At a cost of two cents per minute, the additional calls will cost the county roughly $40,000 per month, County Purchaser DeWight Dopslauf said.

The panel also was unanimous in allowing county employees who are unable to perform their jobs because their departments have closed to the public to continue to collect their salaries. The workers, however, must volunteer from an approved list of charities or nonprofits.
IrishTxAggie
AG
If they try to force this until April 29 in Harris, there will be mass anarchy
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

If they try to force this until April 29 in Harris, there will be mass anarchy
Meh. I don't see it. We're only what, 10 days into this? I mean it sucks yeah, but aside from boredom, I don't see how the masses would react in way that there would be a huge backlash. This is assuming that no other "harsh" measures are put in place (IE, early curfew, grocery store restrictions, etc).
Texaggie7nine
Slim thug got it.
7nine
First Page Last Page
Page 52 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.