Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,548 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Seersucker Ag 2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tamuags08 said:

Look at this ****

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/coronavirus/back-at-school-pandemic-continues-but-life-goes-on-at-wenatchee-and-eastmont-highs/article_b9d7ae06-762e-11eb-abef-bbb60008f62a.html

I was ready to make fun of you for thinking that that photo is real... then I realized it's real.
The Wonderer
AG
third coast.. said:

I wonder how the acoustics are in that thing
CW Griswold
Effing germaphobes.

-
TXTransplant
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

tamuags08 said:

Look at this ****

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/coronavirus/back-at-school-pandemic-continues-but-life-goes-on-at-wenatchee-and-eastmont-highs/article_b9d7ae06-762e-11eb-abef-bbb60008f62a.html

I was ready to make fun of you for thinking that that photo is real... then I realized it's real.

My son is 6'2", 225 lbs, and plays the tuba.

I'm going to send him that link and tell him to be glad that they just have to use bell covers and masks that are split down the middle.
BohunkAg
AG
tamuags08 said:

Look at this ****

Yeah my kids would opt out of that. What a bunch of dorks.
case04
AG
T Durden said:

CDUB98 said:

What date is the actual day?

I thought it was in March. I was out of town with the family on spring break when it all blew up.
Mine is March 16th to be exact.
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
third coast.. said:

Ranger #007 said:

Either Karen's or our new superintendent. I kinda lean toward blaming him given that they were ever scheduled in the first place.
do you have any insight in to the elementary schools? My oldest is set to start at Ferguson next school year but if they are back and forth on opening and other ridiculous behavior, I need to start socking away money now for private school.

I'll say this...our middle child is in a private Kinder this year due to turning 5 just before school started, and we've been very impressed. He is much further along than his sister was at this time, who is in the best elementary in our district. Some of that is probably his personality as well, but their curriculum is also different due to not having district and/or state requirements the publics do. A small but effective difference is writing. In public, they focus on quantity of writing to teach them to write, where the private he is at focuses on quality. He may only write 2 sentences, but you can read it. His sister may write an entire page, but it looks like a drunk monkey wrote it while fighting a trash panda.

aTm2004
AG
third coast.. said:

I will say I have been VERY surprised at the mask compliance rate I have seen here in League City. I was hoping to see a lot more folks living the normal life.
Compliance in Kingwood is pretty high while in the stores. I'd say at least 90%. Go out to a little league baseball/softball/soccer field...nah. Probably 98% not wearing them.
Irish 2.0
aTm2004 said:

third coast.. said:

Ranger #007 said:

Either Karen's or our new superintendent. I kinda lean toward blaming him given that they were ever scheduled in the first place.
do you have any insight in to the elementary schools? My oldest is set to start at Ferguson next school year but if they are back and forth on opening and other ridiculous behavior, I need to start socking away money now for private school.

I'll say this...our middle child is in a private Kinder this year due to turning 5 just before school started, and we've been very impressed. He is much further along than his sister was at this time, who is in the best elementary in our district. Some of that is probably his personality as well, but their curriculum is also different due to not having district and/or state requirements the publics do. A small but effective difference is writing. In public, they focus on quantity of writing to teach them to write, where the private he is at focuses on quality. He may only write 2 sentences, but you can read it. His sister may write an entire page, but it looks like a drunk monkey wrote it while fighting a trash panda.

Did private school K-12. I was middle of the class in terms of ranking, but my SAT and ACT scores beat the valedictorian's of the local public HS. The top 10 in my small private school in Shiner were all within .3 of each other GPA wise. Graduated A&M in 3.5yrs (couldv'e been 2.5, but dammit I had a little those first 3 semesters). Classroom sizes are typically smaller. Teachers' hands aren't tied by state curriculum. If I ever have kids, they wont' step foot in a public school.
Diggity
AG
You sure about that SAT score?

I can't make heads or tails of your post.

Sounded like an argument for private school, until the last sentence.
aTm2004
AG
I think a lot of it has to do with your HS. My wife graduated top-10 in a class of almost 900 students, so her little elite private school was pretty easy for her. I graduated top-10 from a hick town school where I had lecture halls my first couple of years at A&M that had more students than my whole HS class, and though I felt I was prepared for A&M, I quickly learned where I was deficient and needed to improve on (sometimes by struggling) and had to get used to the size.

COVID related because I'm pretty sure masks at my hick town high school are required, but enforcement of proper wearing is most likely lacking. And given we had a nursery in the HS when I was there, resources to ensure items are properly worn would be better spent elsewhere.
Irish 2.0
Diggity said:

You sure about that SAT score?

I can't make heads or tails of your post.

Sounded like an argument for private school, until the last sentence.

Fixed. Give me a break. Been up since 3:30
Diggity
AG
I will say that covid has opened my eyes more to the cluster-**** that is HISD. I always felt a bit insulated from it because we have a great neighborhood school.

Come to find out, none of that matters when the district decides to shut down to school for two weeks when we get a Winter storm (whether or not your actual schools sustained any damage). My daughter's class has no instruction all week and my son didn't start that until today. Just a total joke. I won't be shocked if they tell us just to come back after Spring Break.

Meanwhile, the area privates are up and running as of Monday.

It may be time to bite the bullet and go the private route. It was fun while it lasted.

cone
AG
we still have to take our shoes off at the airport

we'll be wearing masks on planes in 2030. believe that.
Diggity
AG
sorry, couldn't help myself.

I was in your same boat as far as class rank vs. testing scores BTW.

I think the general consensus is that combination means we were lazy in high school.
Diggity
AG
Maybe they'll be something similar to PreCheck, where we can ditch the mask if we sign up.
Post removed:
by user
cone
AG
low expectations but i've been pretty happy with HISD thus far (district-wide closures for the winter storm notwithstanding)

i read the horror stories about the public schools in MD, VA, NY, WA, CA and i'm feeling pretty fortunate

but bigotry of low expectations and all that
cone
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

cone said:

we still have to take our shoes off at the airport

we'll be wearing masks on planes in 2030. believe that.

You are nuts. No freaking way and not comparable.
why would it need to be comparable

one ******* had a shoe bomb 20 years ago
LostInLA07
AG
Tuition for next year at most private schools is due in a few weeks. Damn right they opened back up on Monday!
aTm2004
AG
Has Ol Boy made a decision about his $50k/yr babysitting school?
Diggity
AG
it's amazing what being directly accountable to your payers does for your motivation!
TXTransplant
Keeping all schools closed when only a few had damage is inexcusable to me.

Tomball ISD had damage to Tomball Memorial. They are remote for now (haven't seen an ETA for when they go back). My kid is at Tomball High. They are in -person (with some kids still on the remote option).

I would have been livid if they kept THS closed/virtual just because TMHS is all virtual.
jetch17
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CLuvq1qHB_v
Keegan99
AG
"working to end"

What "work" is involved? Is it that hard to sign an order ending them? Just do it.
ChemAg15
AG
He's been a limp dick for the entire pandemic. He's going to milk lifting restrictions for as much good press as he can.
Irish 2.0
Went to HEB Heights this afternoon and didn't wear a mask. Not a peep from anyone.
BohunkAg
AG
He needs to stand up for us!
aTm2004
AG
jetch17 said:

https://instagr.am/p/CLuvq1qHB_v

jetch17
AG
Would be good if he'd just hogslap dora and take away county overrules
aTm2004
AG
BohunkAg said:

He needs to stand up for us!
Wheel you be standing up next to him?
aTm2004
AG
jetch17 said:

Would be good if he'd just hogslap dora and take away county overrules
That's what I hope he's working on...closing all possible loop holes the commies will try to find.
drumboy
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Went to HEB Heights this afternoon and didn't wear a mask. Not a peep from anyone.

Thank you for your service.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 348 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.