Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,461 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Noble07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This will only get worse. Even if the vaccine is effective and widely distributed we will still be in "code red."
tk for tu juan
Sucks when the alert comes during work and you know people are currently panic buying toilet paper and other items.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I'll be honest I haven't even paid the slightest attention to the "numbers" in months. Can someone please inform me why I should give the slightest **** about positive cases from 6 months ago?
Jet Black
What is the goal? Control it until there is a vaccine? That's all I can think of because staying home isnt going to eradicate the thing.
htxag09
AG
Was talking with a buddy about various responses yesterday. Most of it is just asinine, they were guidelines back when you couldn't get tested and if you did you had to wait a week for the results.

Just think of A&M football. If any player has close contact with someone who tested positive they have to quarantine for 14 days. Yet they are getting tested every damn day. They can get 14 negatives, but still have to stay quarantined for 14 days. So ****ing stupid. And this plays out similarly across all functions, including school.
Betoisafurry
Code red code red code red!!!

So much boy crying wolf with this **** I don't think anyone is going to pay attention if there ever is a real problem.
AgLiving06
What Lina doesn't seem to understand is that by keeping Houston at "code red" the entire time, nobody really cares or believes her. Had she legitimately flexed the warning system, people may actually react...but with this, people will just ignore it (as they rightfully should).
Post removed:
by user
jenn96
AG
AgLiving06 said:

What Lina doesn't seem to understand is that by keeping Houston at "code red" the entire time, nobody really cares or believes her. Had she legitimately flexed the warning system, people may actually react...but with this, people will just ignore it (as they rightfully should).
Seriously. Look at the TMC dashboards and how the slope moved up over the early summer and then down to almost nothing , and is now slowly headed up again. But we've been in Code Red the entire time. It means nothing and no one takes it seriously. I get a laugh every time I pass the "Stay Home Code Red" billboards on my way to work. What is the plan if cases do start rising precipitously like they did in June and July? Code Bright Red? They've squandered any vestige of seriousness and they're not getting it back.
cone
AG
luckily, word of mouth beats anything they can come up with

people are watching graphs, using their brains, understanding risk
chjoak
AG
Wife says the rumors she is hearing about CyFair ISD is that they will go on Thanksgiving break and come back 100% remote until Jan.
gougler08
AG
At this point it seems every district has that rumor, will be interesting to see where it goes
cone
AG
if they close elementary schools before bars, there should be a protest
gougler08
AG
It feels like Jade Helm to me at this point but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at anything this year
jetch17
AG
chjoak said:

Wife says the rumors she is hearing about CyFair ISD is that they will go on Thanksgiving break and come back 100% remote until Jan.

JFC.
redag06
If they close either, there should be protests.
TarponChaser
My parents are in their early-70's and are hosting Thanksgiving this year at their request. Only now they've informed us they're worried about the increased cases in Houston and want us to eat outside to be safe.

I'm incapable of rolling my eyes hard enough to express my exasperation at this. Especially as they are both perfectly healthy.
jetch17
AG
F Lina. I'm just trying to hit all my favorite places before the sh*theads close restraunts etc again
Post removed:
by user
Bondag
AG
jetch17 said:

F Lina. I'm just trying to hit all my favorite places before the sh*theads close restraunts etc again
I am off all next week. Tine lunch club.
jetch17
AG
Bondag said:

jetch17 said:

I am off all next week. Tine lunch club.

Talmbout
TXTransplant
Ag_07 said:

So no gatherings surely means no fans at the Texans game right?

That's what is so stupid about this code red BS. Fans at Texans games. Hell they just had the Houston Open two weeks ago.

None of it makes any sense.
I think the no family gatherings warning makes sense (not that I agree with it), because I'm convinced it's that close contact (hugging, kissing, sharing food) for an extended period of time that is spreading the virus.

People aren't getting this at the grocery store or the gym or the hair salon or even the Texans football game. There have been a few dozen cases at my office, and there has been no evidence of spread there.

Just like the flu or the stomach bug or a cold, this is being passed among family members. One person in a family picks it up from someone they've been in close contact with (a friend, roommate, etc.), and they bring it to the wedding, birthday party, or (potentially) Thanksgiving dinner.

It's still ridiculous to blanketly tell people to "avoid gatherings" or "cancel Christmas." That's just absurd. Families come in all shapes and sizes and what works for one family may be totally different than what works for another. Thanksgiving for one family might include only people who already live in the same household. Or maybe the family doesn't have any elderly relatives. There is absolutely no reason to cancel that.

On top of that, we've been berated by all of these warnings for 8+ months now. People KNOW what to do to keep themselves safe, and they understand the risk associated with contracting the virus. If people want to accept that risk to see their families and friends, so be it. Hospitals in our area aren't overwhelmed.

If someone doesn't feel safe gathering with their family or friends, then they can choose to stay home. However, I've seen plenty of people I would consider to be "high risk" out and about, living their lives as normally as possible. You can't force people to care about their health; they are going to live their lives however they want (and that's true for every single medical condition or unhealthy habit that exists).
Cromagnum
AG
8 months of bull**** that doesn't work. Plug should have been pulled 7 months ago.
TXTransplant
Cromagnum said:

8 months of bull**** that doesn't work. Plug should have been pulled 7 months ago.

No kidding. When we reopened in May, the message should have transitioned to telling people who are old, overweight, diabetic, and/or immune compromised to stay home. And take their medicine. And do what they can to get healthy and lower their risk.

But no one wants to say that, and frankly, I haven't seen that many at risk people use the last 8 months to try and take control of and/or improve their health. So, if a significant number of people don't care, government officials are just wasting their breath.
FalconAg06
I hope this is a huge wake up call to fat and unhealthy people that although society is preaching body positivity and modern technology makes it easy for them to get around, mother nature will still ***** slap them from time to time.
David_Puddy
AG
Just when I get 4 badass Texans tickets too. I'm sure they're about to cancel fans at the games
TXTransplant
FalconAg06 said:

I hope this is a huge wake up call to fat and unhealthy people that although society is preaching body positivity and modern technology makes it easy for them to get around, mother nature will still ***** slap them from time to time.

I honestly don't think it will be, at least not for most. And not because of body positivity messages, but because we've put the burden of dealing with this on the shoulders of healthy people.

We have government officials who are saying "all" we have to do is wear masks and stay home to keep people safe. Businesses were forced to close and healthy people lost their livelihoods.

Schools were closed despite the fact that children are by far the least affected by this virus (and are statistically more at risk for complications from the flu and pneumonia, which we don't have mass-closures for).

Why did we close businesses and schools? To protect unhealthy adults. All that decision did is send the message that your personal health is not your responsibility. Keep all of your unhealthy habits because it's the actions (and sacrifices) of everyone else that will keep you safe.
gougler08
AG
Well said
MAS444
AG
Quote:

Just when I get 4 badass Texans tickets too.

There is such a thing?
Texaggie7nine
FalconAg06 said:

Some of the most unhealthy people I know had the mildest symptoms. Including me.
7nine
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

FalconAg06 said:

Some of the most unhealthy people I know had the mildest symptoms. Including me.

Exactly. Y'all chill on the unhealthy people thing.

Starting to hit all little too close to home.
FalconAg06
Texaggie7nine said:

FalconAg06 said:

Yao Ming is 7'5"
TXTransplant
Ducks4brkfast said:

Texaggie7nine said:

FalconAg06 said:

Exactly. Y'all chill on the unhealthy people thing.

Starting to hit all little too close to home.

All the more reason to back away from the panic button and let people decide for themselves how they want to live their lives.

Even being unhealthy or high risk doesn't make this virus a death sentence.

We are going overboard with restrictions and warnings to "protect" a very small percentage of the population who will die from this.
chimpanzee
"Spreading rapidly", completely without any context in perma-red alarm mode.

Deduct normal seasonal flu cases from current COVID cases and tell me what you have. There's no flu this year, odd.
cone
AG
my question

if what we're doing is eradicating the flu and the flu kills the young at a much higher clip, then why would we snap back to the way things were just because the populace has been vaccinated for corona?

if we're now in the business of making collective moral judgements
First Page Last Page
Page 300 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.