Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,643 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
sockerton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is this the new normal? What happens when the common cold & flu come?
Zobel
AG
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

We're in for the long haul.
spadilly
S
We are in sugar land if yall need anything.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Serious question, was talking with my brother today and we were trying to think of an event in our lifetime that had a global impact that legitimately changed the way we all went through day-to-day life. Was the last one 9/11? I know it obviously affected Americans and aside from airport security, I can't think of it really affecting people in more than a handful of other countries.

So is the closest thing...World War II???
SockDePot
SBISD just announced closed until the 13th.

Coupled with the closure of bars and restaurants, the specs at bingle and 10 was getting pretty packed. Lots of moms going to need relief.
Bregxit
AG
TXTransplant said:

Diggity said:

HISD closure bumped to April 13. Think the year is over?

Not completely. Conroe schools have already sent out emails about homework. They are going to try to do online/self-directed learning.

I suspect the other suburban districts will do the same.

Conroe ISD just closed through 4/10 with a re-evaluation on 4/6.
TXTransplant
Bregxit said:

TXTransplant said:

Diggity said:

HISD closure bumped to April 13. Think the year is over?

Not completely. Conroe schools have already sent out emails about homework. They are going to try to do online/self-directed learning.

I suspect the other suburban districts will do the same.

Conroe ISD just closed through 4/10 with a re-evaluation on 4/6.

I figured they did. A coworker got an email just after 4 saying they were going to start sending out assignments/homework.
htxag09
AG
Everyone needs to step back and take a breath. Does this suck? Yes. Is it extreme? Yes. But let's be real, nobody was giving a damn about social distancing suggestions. Writing was on the wall.

Will some business have to shut down because of this? Yes. But chances are most of those businesses were probably close as is. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck, doesn't mean I don't feel for them. But the restaurant business is a tough one, doors are closing all the time.

Also, let's not forget how fat and lazy Americans are. ****, I don't even want to think about the amount of households that don't know how to cook. Well still be ordering delivery, and probably at an alarming rate.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Is it time yet?
IrishTxAggie
AG
htxag09 said:

Everyone needs to step back and take a breath. Does this suck? Yes. Is it extreme? Yes. But let's be real, nobody was giving a damn about social distancing suggestions. Writing was on the wall.

Will some business have to shut down because of this? Yes. But chances are most of those businesses were probably close as is. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck, doesn't mean I don't feel for them. But the restaurant business is a tough one, doors are closing all the time.

Also, let's not forget how fat and lazy Americans are. ****, I don't even want to think about the amount of households that don't know how to cook. Well still be ordering delivery, and probably at an alarming rate.

How about the heavy-handed, power hungry government go ahead and **** right off. Round up all the olds and put them in the Astrodome for a few months for all I ****ing care. But the economic destruction of these actions will far surpass the sadness of some old or sick people that were already knocking on death's door.
TXTransplant
htxag09 said:

I was going to post this, but you beat me to it.

We've done this to ourselves. When people who feel sick and/or have been diagnosed get on planes, take public transportation, go to parties, refuse to tell people where they've been and who they might have exposed, you can't trust that anyone will do the right thing. So, you get forced shutdowns.
cone
AG
yes
CFTXAG10
AG
Tom Hagen said:

Have the other incorporated areas in Harris County followed suit? Bellaire, West U., Pasadena, Katy?
Don't know about bars/clubs, but I work in the Pasadena area and the Starbucks and Chick Fil A over here have moved to drive thru only. No dining inside. Not many restaurants have followed suit. They still allow you to come in and sit.
lancevance
The numbers are already down from what I am hearing from insider reliable sources close to the heart of the matter and well connected with industry professionals who know up to date information. Maybe this will be over by next week.
Unemployed
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

htxag09 said:

How about the heavy-handed, power hungry government go ahead and **** right off. Round up all the olds and put them in the Astrodome for a few months for all I ****ing care. But the economic destruction of these actions will far surpass the sadness of some old or sick people that were already knocking on death's door.
Wonder if you would feel the same if it was your parents or grandparents that died from the virus due to being in contact with someone who didn't take the proper precautions.
CowtownAg06
AG
Would love to hear more but.....
IrishTxAggie
AG
RealTalk said:

IrishTxAggie said:

htxag09 said:

Wonder if you would feel the same if it was your parents or grandparents that died from the virus due to being in contact with someone who didn't take the proper precautions.

Yeah, I would. My parents are in their sixties and think this is the stupidest **** they've ever encountered. My father is a Deacon in the Catholic Church and comes into contact with sick and ill people all the time as part of his ministry. He says this is completely overblown. If you're concerned about your parents and grandparents well being, than you should take your own precautions. Not force terms on everyone else.
(removed:110205)
Missing Ed Emmett yet?
Diggity
AG
Grandma hanging out at the bar?
cone
AG
Harris County numbers?
BohunkAg
AG
RealTalk said:

IrishTxAggie said:

htxag09 said:

My 84 year old folks are staying their ass at home. It's not Lina Hidalgo's job to protect them. For sh-ts sake we've given all personal responsibility to people who can barely tie their own shoe.
Al Bula
AG
RealTalk said:

LOL, eyeroll

cone
AG
also didn't you say no new cases yesterday when two were reported?
WES2006AG
AG
lancevance said:

The numbers are already down from what I am hearing from insider reliable sources close to the heart of the matter and well connected with industry professionals who know up to date information. Maybe this will be over by next week.

So you are saying that efforts made to mitigate the spread may be working. Good to hear.
ChemAg15
AG
Pearl clutch much?
07fta07
AG
TXTransplant said:

htxag09 said:

We've done this to ourselves. When people who feel sick and/or have been diagnosed get on planes, take public transportation, go to parties, refuse to tell people where they've been and who they might have exposed, you can't trust that anyone will do the right thing. So, you get forced shutdowns.

Did we shut down planes, public transportation, and private parties?
TXTransplant
07fta07 said:

TXTransplant said:

htxag09 said:

Did we shut down planes, public transportation, and private parties?

The rodeo was shut down after one case was traced back to it. Quite a few organizations (and some cities) have eliminated large gatherings of people. Movie theaters are only selling 50% of tickets. The Dioceses of San Antonio and Dallas have voluntarily shut down all activities, including mass. Disney World and Disneyland both closed voluntarily.

Most employers are going WFH for all but the most essential of employees. There was a post earlier in this very thread about a man who refused to quarantine and went to work. Basically, WFH is a forced quarantine.

Air travel is being severely limited by the airlines themselves. They are cutting back on flights and already threatening bankruptcy/begging for a bailout.

I would not be shocked if public transport in major cities is shut down soon.
swimmerbabe11
just a note, grubhub is suspending the subscription fees for local restaurants. uber eats is suspending delivery fees for local restaurants.
swimmerbabe11
IrishTxAggie said:

I just want to know if you see the irony in thinking that shutting down bars/restaurants for a couple of weeks is heavy-handed, power hungry government, but rounding up a specific demographic to lock them in an asbestos ridden death camp is totally excusable and not something you ****ing care about.
BohunkAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

just a note, grubhub is suspending the subscription fees for local restaurants. uber eats is suspending delivery fees for local restaurants.

Token move. A lot of restaurants can't stay open just doing takeout and delivery.
swimmerbabe11
I mean.. how else can they help?
TXTransplant
BohunkAg said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Token move. A lot of restaurants can't stay open just doing takeout and delivery.

The ones that want to survive will figure it out. The only other choice is to give up and close now.
07fta07
AG
So no, we haven't. We've limited things, but we haven't shut down the public.

Take some responsibility for yourself. If you're worried, stay home. I'm not, (although now I'm concerned about the mess this has turned into for the economy, my job, etc. due to the ridiculous overreaction about some already unhealthy people in their 80's dying a year earlier than they were going to - yes there are exceptions) but if this thing is gonna take me out then it's just gonna happen.
TXTransplant
07fta07 said:

So no, we haven't. We've limited things, but we haven't shut down the public.

Take some responsibility for yourself. If you're worried, stay home. I'm not, (although now I'm concerned about the mess this has turned into for the economy, my job, etc. due to the ridiculous overreaction about some already unhealthy people in their 80's dying a year earlier than they were going to - yes there are exceptions) but if this thing is gonna take me out then it's just gonna happen.

Yes and no. I have my own opinions about what should be done, but it's pointless to argue about it here.

But, when people behave irresponsibly, I'm not shocked when others step in to make decisions for us all - whether that's employers or private industries or the government.

And the public isn't completely shut down. I would argue restaurants have been severely limited. But they aren't completely shut down.
First Page Last Page
Page 30 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.