Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,521 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Huh? One was 8/5.
chimpanzee
Ag06Law said:

One happened three months ago to the day, the other two months ago to the day. A lot of things were different at that point in time.

And there will always be outliers. You can't make decisions based on outliers.
For 30-49's it's roughly the same between C19 and non-C19 pneumonia.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

People die all the time and it sucks.
Ag06Law
AG
And the other two were at least two months ago, one at the beginning of the peak, and the other at the absolute peak.
chimpanzee
chimpanzee said:

Ag06Law said:

One happened three months ago to the day, the other two months ago to the day. A lot of things were different at that point in time.

And there will always be outliers. You can't make decisions based on outliers.
For 30-49's it's roughly the same between C19 and non-C19 pneumonia.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

People die all the time and it sucks.
Self quotage to add, if you are 30-49 years old, C19 deaths make up about 6.5% of all deaths in that age range, so by my way of thinking, you should be about 6.5% more worried about dying than you were going into this mess, something much less than that if you're healthy and less still since you're not dead yet and we made it past the peak.

Or put another way, if you're 30-49 and think that you're going to die, there's a 93.5% chance C19 isn't going to be what gets you.
BohunkAg
AG
wessimo said:

3 deaths in the 40-49 category with no underlying conditions. Hits close to home.
It's important to know the details of those cases. It's a bit reckless of them to just put that out with minor details, but then we know that.
FalconAg06
Does this thing hit Hispanics and blacks harder than whites for any biological reason, or just societal?
TarponChaser
FalconAg06 said:

Does this thing hit Hispanics and blacks harder than whites for any biological reason, or just societal?

Both.

Blacks & Hispanics, on average, are significantly more likely to be obese, have diabetes, high blood pressure, and other associated comorbidities than whites.

They are also far less likely to seek medical care early and far less likely to seek preventative care.

It's not really a causal link but correlated to being more likely to be of a lower socioeconomic status (less ability to miss work/wfh and less comprehensive medical insurance). I'm betting that lower income whites have similar issues and CV19 outcomes.
Keegan99
AG
There may be a vitamin D connection as well.
jenn96
AG
All that and they are disproportionally represented in "essential" low-paying jobs that can't be done remotely, or live with people who work those jobs (in the case of the elderly). So much higher risk of transmission on top of the physical issues.

The fear of the virus among lower-income SE groups (of all races) is actually entirely rational; they are more likely to get it and more likely to have bad outcomes if they do, statistically. But it sucks because their kids are paying the price, and there's not an easy answer to fix it.
Petrino1
So this weekend is basically the Grand reopening of all the major bars due to the new TABC laws. All the previous covid hot spot bars on Washington and in the heights are reopening this weekend, if they haven't opened already. Wonder why Turner or Hidalgo haven't said anything about this yet.

Is this weekend basically going to be a repeat of Memorial Day weekend where everyone goes out, bars are packed, and covid cases spike? How long until bars are forced to shut down again? It'll be interesting to see how the city/Turner responds to everything opening up again this weekend since things will basically be back to normal.
Keegan99
AG

Hotez getting called out for his hackery by the creator of the best COVID model.
gougler08
AG
Keegan99 said:

Hotez getting called out for his hackery by the creator of the best COVID model.
His tweet just shows how political he is making it...shameful that a city is following his guidance when he's clearly jaded
aTm2004
AG
Not Houston, but zero doubt something similar is happening here.

Jock 07
AG
gougler08 said:

Keegan99 said:

His tweet just shows how political he is making it...shameful that a city is following his guidance when he's clearly jaded

Not to mention one cursory glance reveals that he's hawking books based on his bull **** narrative
FalconAg06
Anyone have a clue why hospitalizations are rising so much after plummeting?
LostInLA07
AG
Where are you seeing any material rise in hospitalizations?
FalconAg06
The census appears to be down, as more are leaving even though admissions rise, but it's odd to see a 11% daily increase over 7 days
Keegan99
AG
Hurricane effect.
LostInLA07
AG
Was the dip prior to the last 7 days around the time of the hurricane approaching? I think that dip is the anomaly because new admits are fairly steady compared / slightly declining compared to the period prior to that dip.
FalconAg06
I was thinking it was the hurricane effect as well, but thought it would have bottomed out sooner. Maybe they're still "catching up"
CoachRTM
AG
School starting to go back probably has a little effect on it too. I know a couple friends whose kids have gotten it at school/daycare.
Ag_07
AG
Gotta be more to it than that since cases in school aged children wouldn't cause hospitalizations to increase.
swimmerbabe11
if i read correctly, the Morton high school nurse died today of Covid today or yesterday
chimpanzee
Keegan99 said:

Hurricane effect.
Thinking this is it, at least partially.

If it's a PCR test cranked up to 11, and they test everyone coming in the door, this might be a baseline. They don't seem to publish the CLI ER visit stats.
BohunkAg
AG
This is undoubtedly the case....article is behind a paywall, but the assertion is true

WES2006AG
AG
Ag_07 said:

Gotta be more to it than that since cases in school aged children wouldn't cause hospitalizations to increase.
NM
David_Puddy
AG
ea1060 said:

So this weekend is basically the Grand reopening of all the major bars due to the new TABC laws. All the previous covid hot spot bars on Washington and in the heights are reopening this weekend, if they haven't opened already. Wonder why Turner or Hidalgo haven't said anything about this yet.

Is this weekend basically going to be a repeat of Memorial Day weekend where everyone goes out, bars are packed, and covid cases spike? How long until bars are forced to shut down again? It'll be interesting to see how the city/Turner responds to everything opening up again this weekend since things will basically be back to normal.

You can thank the TABC for that loophole. Either way, I know that bar owners were tired of being shut down when there is a bar across the street serving chicken tenders & quesadillas allowed to operate. Should be interesting seeing the #s. I've got the antibodies, so I'm not worried at all about being out anywhere in public.
gougler08
AG
I don't have the antibodies (to my knowledge) and I also feel perfectly safe being in public
AgLiving06
Anecdotal story, but found out a coworker of mine was hospitalized for COVID.

Where it's interesting is it wasn't for COVID symptoms directly, but for nausea that caused her to get dehydrated. Once they gave her an IV, she was able to go home.
Jet Black
CFTXAG10 said:

If you ask me, sending a bunch of strangers door to door to conduct tests seems like a good way to spread more virus

It's ****ing weird. A bunch of govt officials going door to door taking blood. Yeah, they can **** right off.
wessimo
AG
The pandemic appears to be over! We went out to a neighborhood brewery at 5 this afternoon and every single table (indoors and outdoors) was occupied. They don't serve you if you don't have a table so we just bought some to-go to drink in the backyard.
jetch17
AG
Every place I have been to this week has been bumpin - good to see some normalcy
Nitro Power
AG
Now let's dump the stupid mask and get the **** on with life.
Alex Bregman
AG

Stat Monitor Repairman
BohunkAg said:

This is undoubtedly the case....article is behind a paywall, but the assertion is true

Ventilators and more ventilators and not enough ventilators use to be all the rage.

Member when folks lost their mind because Trump was reluctant to use the War Powers Act to force car companies to manufacture ventilators?

I member.
First Page Last Page
Page 260 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.