Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,573 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If this nonsense doesn't get Hidalgo, turner, etc. voted out nothing will stop this course we're on and I'll lose the sliver of hope I've held onto.
cone
AG
Quote:

And although the spike after the Fourth of July wasn't as big as the one after Memorial Day
never got an explanation why there wasn't much of a spike then
Bondag
AG
Diggity said:

Our only hope is that people are fed up (and will be increasingly so with virtual school) and just stop listening to these eggheads.
Quote:

Chris Amos, a Baylor College of Medicine quantitative scientist, said "the timing could not be worse for rolling back."

"Given the number who test positive reflect perhaps 10 times as many individuals who have not been tested but are positive," said Amos, "there remains a large pool of individuals who can spread COVID-19 if they begin interacting with many others, and particularly if we allow large groups to start coming together again."
Quote:

Hotez, who urges tighter controls instead of rolling back, says he expects the case numbers to go back up as schools and colleges open. And although the spike after the Fourth of July wasn't as big as the one after Memorial Day, he worries Labor Day will bring more more spread.

'Rolling back will work against us': Why Houston is in disease 'purgatory'
It is systemically racist to expect kids to school themselves at home. This discriminates against families that are essential workers, do not have internet, and do not have enough electronic devices for all of their kids. I have donated old electronics to various family members that do not have enough devices for each of their kids, but there are a lot of families that don't have that. We are setting kids back years and it will not be solved day 1 when they get back to the classroom. Not to mention the fact that a lot of these kids get one or two hot meals a day at school and are sent home with a backpack for the weekends. I know the Houston food bank and other sources are working to get this food to kids, but not everyone will be able to have their needs met or have people watching out for them. Politicians are so worried about grandstanding for this disease that they are turning their back on their most vulnerable constituents.
Diggity
AG
collateral damage in the war to get Trump out.
Bondag
AG
And to think this was a joke 10 years ago.

chimpanzee
How many lives will these people ruin for how long in order to prevent the transmission of a disease that rarely significantly harms people outside of particular at-risk groups?

How long would @ssholes like Hotez keep 350 million people locked away to push back the deaths of another 10-20K by a year under their hypotheses that are already PROVEN INCORRECT?

cajunaggie08
AG
I've got a question for all you armchair hospital managers. Is it normal for the local ICU capacity to be in a "phase 2" level. It would appear that the number of COVID ICU patients has dropped a lot since July. I know hospitals typically plan on ICU's being at 90 to 95% capacity. Is this just a sign of Houston returning to normal levels of getting hurt/sick with COVID cases accounting for a bump in the number of beds normally taken. I just am not aware how often hospitals expand beyond normal ICU capacity.

chimpanzee
I only have personal anecdotes, but over the years I have had multiple family members in really bad shape wait for multiple days to get an ICU bed. Not sure how common it is.
Foamcows
AG
hospitals try to operate at a near 100% capacity, its when they are most cost efficient.
Bondag
AG
Keegan99
AG
The efficacy of masks in any setting is questionable. But outside in open air? With distancing?

GTFO
BohunkAg
AG
How many people do you think will be in that thing? 3? 5?
TXTransplant
Keegan99 said:

The efficacy of masks in any setting is questionable. But outside in open air? With distancing?

GTFO

My kid had his first marching band practice yesterday. Outside the whole time and always maintained 6 ft or more distance, and they had to wear masks the whole time. Even while running laps.
gougler08
AG
TXTransplant said:

Keegan99 said:

GTFO

My kid had his first marching band practice yesterday. Outside the whole time and always maintained 6 fit or more distance, and they had to wear masks the whole time. Even while running laps.

Seems like a great recipe for heat stroke
Post removed:
by user
HtownAg92
AG
Bondag said:

Just out of curiosity, how are the users supposed to power / recharge their devices? And heat indexes of 110, that's okay for outdoor studying facilities, right?
Jack Klompus
AG
Bondag said:

Didn't the county already allocate $32 million to bridge the gap for the vulnerables with no internet/computer?
ptothemo
AG
Registration, mask, mandatory covid test, and assignment/scan of your barcode required for entry*
Ronnie
AG
Lina's doing a good job y'all - just ask Politico

Here's a good quote:

Quote:

But just as notable was the person who was issuing the order. Hidalgo, 29, was the youngest of the county judges who had taken that step and by far the least seasoned. She had been in office just 16 months, and while she had squared off with her county's Republican commissioners over issues such as cash bail reform, and steered the county through crises such as a chemical fire that blanketed Houston in smoke, this was Hidalgo's first experience leading in a national disaster that had the potential to affect all of the nearly 5 million people in her jurisdiction. Suddenly, she came under attack from Republicans at every level of state and federal government.

She was doing great until all those mean republicans starting picking on her. Really steered us through the ITC fire. It's been totally unfair that people don't trust her to do the right thing in this COVID virus pandemic.
Nitro Power
AG
Studying outside ride now....sound awesome
CW Griswold
Schools, like churches, are dangerous places where the Rona runs rampant.

Government study area tents, like "peaceful protests", are magical bubbles of immunity.
-
TXTransplant
Replied to the wrong post, but yeah, I've gotten several earfuls from my son about how dumb the policy is.

But, practice isn't mandatory, so no one has to go.

Once they start playing their instruments while they march, they won't have to wear the masks.
aTm2004
AG
Let me answer that with another question. If you own 5 rent houses, would you be OK with 40% of them rented?
JYDog90
AG
gougler08 said:

TXTransplant said:

Keegan99 said:

GTFO

My kid had his first marching band practice yesterday. Outside the whole time and always maintained 6 fit or more distance, and they had to wear masks the whole time. Even while running laps.

Why didn't they just water board them while they were at it?
Formerly Willy Wonka
CW Griswold
Willy Wonka said:

gougler08 said:

TXTransplant said:

Keegan99 said:

GTFO

Why didn't they just water board them while they were at it?

The accumulated sweat in a mask after several hours outdoors will have the same affect.
-
XpressAg09
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

I've got a question for all you armchair hospital managers. Is it normal for the local ICU capacity to be in a "phase 2" level. It would appear that the number of COVID ICU patients has dropped a lot since July. I know hospitals typically plan on ICU's being at 90 to 95% capacity. Is this just a sign of Houston returning to normal levels of getting hurt/sick with COVID cases accounting for a bump in the number of beds normally taken. I just am not aware how often hospitals expand beyond normal ICU capacity.

What I take away from this is that Phase 1 is probably 'normal' volumes of ICU bed and we're only 4 bed over 'normal,' which is less than a percent over 100%.

Second takeaway is that the entire hospital system's ICU Beds are only 60% full, of which, 12% are COVID beds. That means an overwhelming majority of patients at the hospital are not there for COVID, so COVID isn't nearly the biggest threat right now.
cajunaggie08
AG
aTm2004 said:

Let me answer that with another question. If you own 5 rent houses, would you be OK with 40% of them rented?
I get that the hospitals WANT their rooms used, but I didnt know if it was normal to go above what we previously considered to be "100% capacity" when its not cold and flu season. Perhaps more people are out and about and getting hurt and sick so ICU is becoming filled with its more normal patient load. I've also had friends ge re-hospitalized with complications relating to their COVID case from spring. So they are technically not a "COVID" hospitalization as they tested negative, but its related to their previous positive
cajunaggie08
AG
TXTransplant said:

Keegan99 said:

GTFO

My kid had his first marching band practice yesterday. Outside the whole time and always maintained 6 ft or more distance, and they had to wear masks the whole time. Even while running laps.
marching band runs laps? we would have lost 1/4 of our band if we actually required cardio conditioning when i was in school. Its certainly a good idea though as we had a few collapse from lack of cardio strength during the early part of the season.
TXTransplant
He ~said~ he ran laps. I doubt there was much running going on.

I need to ask him for clarification.

Edit: They don't run laps. But when they change position or need to go get water they are supposed to "hurry up", i.e., run.
jetch17
AG
YOU NEED TO KNOW

https://instagr.am/p/CEpEx15pR3c
Bondag
AG
jetch17 said:

YOU NEED TO KNOW

https://instagr.am/p/CEpEx15pR3c
Reminds me of this.

Nitro Power
AG
Well with all the fear mongering the last 5 months, if you don't know now, you probably never will...
wessimo
AG
Going door to door now

htxag09
AG
I'll make sure to cough/sneeze in their face then tell them to ead if they come to my house to test me.
gougler08
AG
That will get a big old "**** no" if they came to my door
First Page Last Page
Page 258 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.