Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,880 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And it'll come back around in China once they're back up and running at 100% and back to normal.

It's a months long ordeal.
tylercsbn9
AG
Just got a mandated work from home

IT company. Figured it was coming shortly after school closings
TXTransplant
CowtownAg06
AG
Got to HEB in the Heights at 6 am.... store is still getting restocked and picked over but got 80% of my list. However.... there aren't many checkers here so the line is to the back of the store and not moving.
aTm2004
AG
Our CEO just sent something out. No WFH yet but mentioned it may be implemented in the future. Schools closing, other companies doing it, but not mine. Chug along.
aTm2004
AG
Ok, that's funny.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

499.5 people with at least presumptive positive by Friday at close of business in the greater Houston area. Over/Under. What you got?
unless all hell breaks loose, looks like the under is a lock. I don't believe the numbers released are legit. I think there has been some breakdown in the testing and reporting that we are not hearing about, but probably not bad enough to hit the over.
Zobel
AG
I think taking the known cases and multiplying by ten is an underestimate if there is community spread going on. Likely many minor cases not showing for medical attention, especially since they're telling people with minor cases to just stay home. And since CDC is so incompetent they can't do the one thing they're supposed to be able to.
TXTransplant
aTm2004 said:

Ok, that's funny.

I don't live in CoH, so I try to keep my distance from those politics. But from observation, it seems to be the smartest thing the man has ever said.
IrishTxAggie
AG
TXTransplant said:

aTm2004 said:

Ok, that's funny.

I don't live in CoH, so I try to keep my distance from those politics. But from observation, it seems to be the smartest thing the man has ever said.
Not a fan of the man, but I did give him props for how Harvey was handled leading up to and mostly during....the aftermath is a different story.
TXTransplant
IrishTxAggie said:

TXTransplant said:

aTm2004 said:

Ok, that's funny.

Not a fan of the man, but I did give him props for how Harvey was handled leading up to and mostly during....the aftermath is a different story.

Yeah, people know what to do after a hurricane. Part of the issue with this situation is no one really knows what to do or what the proper response is. And we are Americans, so we darn sure don't want to be told we can't travel or leave our homes.

Containing the spread of this is going to cause a lot of people to be inconvenienced. We are a NIMBY culture - it's fine if someone else is inconvenienced, as long as we as individuals aren't. So, who has to make the sacrifices?

And it's clear some responses trigger a chain reaction that causes panic among the masses.
jenn96
AG

499.5 people with at least presumptive positive by Friday at close of business in the greater Houston area. Over/Under. What you got?
unless all hell breaks loose, looks like the under is a lock. I don't believe the numbers released are legit. I think there has been some breakdown in the testing and reporting that we are not hearing about, but probably not bad enough to hit the over.
There's been a massive, unprecedented breakdown in testing. We have no idea how many people in the US are infected but it's much higher than the official numbers. We don't have enough tests and we don't have enough lab materials to run and process them. Here are just a sample of articles explaining why. We genuinely have no idea how many people might have the virus. CDC red tape tied up the ability of private labs to create their own tests for weeks. They are working on it now but we've had way too long for the virus to move around the country.

(ETA - Milwaukees Best Light, didn't mean to come across belligerently. But the testing breakdown is scary to me because we can't allocate resources without accurate data.)

TXTransplant
jenn96 said:

There's been a massive, unprecedented breakdown in testing. We have no idea how many people in the US are infected but it's much higher than the official numbers. We don't have enough tests and we don't have enough lab materials to run and process them. Here are just a sample of articles explaining why. We genuinely have no idea how many people might have the virus. CDC red tape tied up the ability of private labs to create their own tests for weeks. They are working on it now but we've had way too long for the virus to move around the country.

(ETA - Milwaukees Best Light, didn't mean to come across belligerently. But the testing breakdown is scary to me because we can't allocate resources without accurate data.)

Here is the thing (and I'm not excusing our inability to test people with severe symptoms, but...)

We can't expect to ever have an accurate count of how many have the virus. There were never going to be enough tests for everyone, especially when so many people experience no symptoms or very mild symptoms. And I would argue that, when resources are limited, people who have limited or no symptoms don't need to be tested.

That's why social distancing has become so important - you may feel fine, but you can still spread the virus to someone.

So what's the solution? Stay home.

My company just enacted a policy that if you travel internationally (anywhere in the world) or on a cruise, you have to have a dr's note to return to work.

Healthy people DO NOT need to be clogging up dr's offices just to get a note to go back to work. And no dr is going to certify that someone is clear of Coronavirus unless they self-quarantine for 14 days.

So, what's the solution? Stay home.

But no one really wants to do that. No one wants to change their plans. No one wants to be inconvenienced.

And when you have people who know they've been exposed and break quarantine, or know they've been diagnosed but still get on a plane and fly to another state, it just proves that no amount of testing will ever be enough.
cajunaggie08
AG
An entire team at my office is now on a 2 week quarantine because they met with a customer from Europe earlier this week.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
IrishTxAggie said:

TXTransplant said:

aTm2004 said:

Ok, that's funny.

Jeff. Lindner.
Bondag
AG
TXTransplant said:

This just seems tone deaf. If you cancel the largest event in Houston without any guidance people expect to be shut in their homes for 2 weeks without leaving. So they buy things they can't live without for 2 weeks.

I still have my Harvey stash that is now expired, but would get me through 2 weeks and buy normal groceries as well.
wessimo
AG

Under was always going to be a lock due to lack of testing capacity. In reality there are probably way more than 500 cases out there.
TXTransplant
Bondag said:

TXTransplant said:

This just seems tone deaf. If you cancel the largest event in Houston without any guidance people expect to be shut in their homes for 2 weeks without leaving. So they buy things they can't live without for 2 weeks.

I still have my Harvey stash that is now expired, but would get me through 2 weeks and buy normal groceries as well.

People can live without bottled water for 2 weeks.

Have you been to a grocery in the last week? People aren't buying things they can't live with for two weeks. They are HOARDING everything.

Yesterday, I watched a woman at H-E-B toss the last 6 packages of cream cheese into her cart. I guarantee that woman can live without cream cheese for two weeks. But she bought 6. That's hoarding.
sts7049
AG
maybe she just wanted to bake a cheesecake?
TXTransplant
sts7049 said:

maybe she just wanted to bake a cheesecake?

Haha! I was thinking spinach artichoke dip.

But, when the grocery store shelves are going bare, I have an issue with someone buying 6 of anything. Leave something for the rest of us!
RK
AG
not if she has a freezer full of dove breasts. Was she also hoarding jalapenos and bacon?
BQ_90
AG
Bondag said:

TXTransplant said:

where have they said to bunker in place, they have said minimize contact.

Also how does bottled water expire after 2 weeks.
Zobel
AG
Total backward justification. Testing is important to prevent or delay imported cases from starting community spread epidemics. It also gives local officials the information they need to scale up closures.

Like you said, since we have no information right now about the spread, you have to shut everything down. That could be productive. That could be a huge cost, with absolutely no benefit. And then what - in a month when a real local epidemic happens, you shut down again? That's how you get fatigue and reduce compliance.

The rationalization right now about testing coming from officials is ridiculous. Total failure by the bureaucracy. And what's worse they even actively intervened to stop local labs and universities from bailing them out.
TXTransplant
k2aggie07 said:

Total backward justification. Testing is important to prevent or delay imported cases from starting community spread epidemics. It also gives local officials the information they need to scale up closures.

Like you said, since we have no information right now about the spread, you have to shut everything down. That could be productive. That could be a huge cost, with absolutely no benefit. And then what - in a month when a real local epidemic happens, you shut down again? That's how you get fatigue and reduce compliance.

The rationalization right now about testing coming from officials is ridiculous. Total failure by the bureaucracy. And what's worse they even actively intervened to stop local labs and universities from bailing them out.

I'm not saying closures are the right decision, I just think it's the only option right now.

No school, church, company, or workplace wants to be the source of a transmission or outbreak.

So, they shift the burden to individuals to make good decisions. But we have proven ourselves incapable of doing that.

I agree about the imported cases, but I'm not even worried about those anymore. That damage was done with patient zero who flew to Seattle from Wuhan back in January.

I just don't think we have the ability to reasonably test for community spread, especially when transmission occurs during the asymptomatic period. So, here we are with widespread shutdowns.
Bondag
AG
Like I said. He is tone deaf. Tell people we are not shutting the city down just large events. Don't make fun of people buying TP. Tell them what to do as the leader of this city.

Edit: Full disclosure I don't like going to Costco anyways so I usually have at least 1 full pack of TP and 3 cases of water. When I get below that I find a time that is convenient to go make a run so I am stocked. But I understand why people are doing what they are because large events are getting cancelled and we don't have any other information from local leadership.
TXTransplant
Bondag said:

Like I said. He is tone deaf. Tell people we are not shutting the city down just large events. Don't make fun of people buying TP. Tell them what to do as the leader of this city.

Good luck with that. I had a conference call with a colleague in Great Britain earlier this week. They are hoarding toilet paper over there, too. Said there isn't a roll to be found anywhere in Europe.

It's human nature gone amok. And once the chain reaction starts, people who don't want to panic end up doing irrational things just so they aren't left out in the cold.

I made a concerted effort when I was out shopping yesterday to not buy anything I didn't truly want to use/consume (so no canned goods, because I hate canned food). And I didn't buy more than two of any one item (except for sweet potatoes).

Maybe I made the wrong call, and we are going to be begging our neighbors for food in a couple of weeks, but I feel good about my decision.

I'm fully prepared to tell my son to use rags or hop in the shower (which is conveniently right next to his toilet).
htxag09
AG
BQ_90 said:

Bondag said:

TXTransplant said:

Who has said anything about bottled water expiring after 2 weeks?
gougler08
AG
TXTransplant said:

Bondag said:

Good luck with that. I had a conference call with a colleague in Great Britain earlier this week. They are hoarding toilet paper over there, too. Said there isn't a roll to be found anywhere in Europe.

It's human nature gone amok. And once the chain reaction starts, people who don't want to panic end up doing irrational things just so they aren't left out in the cold.

I made a concerted effort when I was out shopping yesterday to not buy anything I didn't truly want to use/consume (so no canned goods, because I hate canned food). And I didn't buy more than two of any one item (except for sweet potatoes).

Maybe I made the wrong call, and we are going to be begging our neighbors for food in a couple of weeks, but I feel good about my decision.

I'm fully prepared to tell my son to use rags or hop in the shower (which is conveniently right next to his toilet).
My wife and I are in the same boat...starting to worry a bit about the fact we haven't bought more than normal groceries just because there potentially will only be **** food left in a week or two
BQ_90
AG
htxag09 said:

BQ_90 said:

Bondag said:

TXTransplant said:

Who has said anything about bottled water expiring after 2 weeks?
my mistake, i thought he said his stash had expired from the water leak. I was paying more attention to the tweet.

return to your panic and hording
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
wessimo said:

Under was always going to be a lock due to lack of testing capacity. In reality there are probably way more than 500 cases out there.
I set the line that high thinking the private labs would be doing testing onsite. Turns out they are doing the same thing just as slowly and poorly as the government was. I don't think the bet was ever will we have over 500 people with it, it was whether they could get testing confirmation. Well, they can't.
aTm2004
AG
gougler08 said:

TXTransplant said:

Bondag said:

My wife and I are in the same boat...starting to worry a bit about the fact we haven't bought more than normal groceries just because there potentially will only be **** food left in a week or two
The wife went Wednesday night to go grocery shopping because we haven't done our big monthly grocery shopping yet, so she knocked it out and got a bit more than normal to re-stock the shelves and freezer. Wasn't too bad but wasn't like it normally was at night either. We did go to Costco last night to get a shelf for the garage that we're going to get organized this weekend, and there were some things that were just picked over while other stuff had tons left (no bread but tons of pasta sauces, frozen meats, etc). We decided to grab some diapers as well since little dude would be needing some within the week, and they had plenty of those, so if you need diapers and your usual spot is picked clean, go to Costco and see.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Hows the supply at Specs holding out?
HtownWilly12
I hit Total Wine hard and they were fully stocked and no one was in there. Could have also been that it was 2pm on Wednesday but that's neither here nor there.
TXTransplant

Hows the supply at Specs holding out?

Haven't been to Spec's, but surprisingly the wine and beer selection at both Trader Joe's and HEB was fully stocked.

Just tells me people in my 'hood don't really know how to disaster prep.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
My 8 year old son is at his pediatrician at Texas Children's (strep). There are police directing traffic in the parking lot. They've restricted access to the building via a single entrance. To enter everyone is screened and given an arm band. Everyone has to wear a mask.
First Page Last Page
Page 22 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.