Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,494,057 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

LostInLA07 said:

A winery in Montgomery County just reopened at 25% capacity.
I tried to convince my wife we needed to move out to MoCo earlier this year when we moved (currently in Harris). This would've been very helpful at the time.
We moved from Montgomery County to Harris county 2 years ago. Love the house and neighborhood, but can't stand being part of CoH, especially now.
aTm2004
AG
bearkatag15 said:

so its only in effect for an hour? Sure. I'll stay inside for an hour I guess
Well, it's hot as hell outside, so it's probably for the best. Stay in the AC under a fan with a cold drink.
BohunkAg
AG
Statewide 10,000 flu deaths last flu season.

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/IDCU/disease/influenza/surveillance/2019/19Wk39Oct04.pdf

We are at 3,000+ on this right now.
cajunaggie08
AG
TXTransplant said:

cone said:

it isn't meaningless

a lockdown now would be effective and help reset the infectious reservoir and prevent potential epidemic overshoot

if that's worth the cost is a real debate, but locking down isn't a worthless step, even if someone as frivolous as Lina is pushing for it

What is currently open that we think is a significant source of spread?

Bars are closed. Restaurants are at limited capacity (and the few I've been to in the last 2 months have been nearly empty).

Air travel is WAY down.

I honestly do not think anyone is catching this at HEB, Trader Joe's, Lowe's, etc - unless you let someone cough all over you. I personally don't get close enough to anyone for long enough to let that happen.

Gyms - this prob is a source of spread. But no one HAS to go to a gym right now. And the people who do are probably some of the healthiest/lowest risk people.

So, what's left to close? Dentists and eye doctors offices? These are medical professionals who should know how to keep people safe. If you don't feel safe going, stay home.

Small retail? Like restaurants, most of these places aren't seeing a lot of traffic right now. Some places didn't even reopen after the first shutdown. And social distancing in a store is not difficult.

Salons? Again, if you don't feel safe, don't get your hair cut or your nails done.

All another shutdown will do is arbitrarily close some businesses while keeping others open. We will be able to buy mattresses and liquor but not get new glasses.

And the people who are sick will still be irresponsibly gathering with groups of family and friends and spreading this around!
I'm just conjecturing here, but I think the biggest source of spread isnt people visiting these businesses. Its being in close contact with friends and family. People are still getting together and socializing as if life were normal. People think their social circle is safe. My family was highly offended when I told them we weren't willing to go on a family trip to a beach house in galveston because we werent comfortable being in a house with them for 3 days as they have been very social outside of our family circle throughout this whole summer. I didnt demand they make changes as they have the right to live their lives how they want. They just have to know they wont be seeing me or my kids anytime soon.
bearkatag15
AG

Quote:

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo released an emergency broadcast in response to the COVID-19 crisis in Harris County, which remains at its highest alert level amid the pandemic.

A script of the message, broadcast by Houston Public Media and other local broadcasters in both Spanish and English, reads:

STAY HOME. Harris County's COVID-19 threat remains at LEVEL 1 (RED) SEVERE until further notice. The virus is spreading rapidly across Harris County and local hospitals are reaching capacity. Protect yourself and your family by staying at home except for essential activities, wear required face covering, and cancel gatherings. Visit readyharris.org for updates.

Local broadcast media outlets obtained the message from Hidalgo's office on Monday afternoon.

"As director of emergency management for the county, the judge feels she has a responsibility to continue doing everything possible to ensure that residents understand the severity of this crisis, and what they need to keep themselves and others safe," said Rafael Lemaitre, a spokesman for Hidalgo. "That's why the threat level system was announced in the first place and we are still under an emergency."

The alert drives home the severity of the outbreak in the region, which has become a national hotspot for COVID-19 after keeping the virus at bay for weeks. Over the last week, the greater Houston area averaged 1,776 cases per day, which is more than four times the number during the peak in April, according to the Texas Medical Center. ICU bed configuration and staffing was at full "Phase 1" capacity as of Sunday, and the medical center has had to add additional intensive care capacity to handle the overflow.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
aTm2004
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

TXTransplant said:

cone said:

it isn't meaningless

a lockdown now would be effective and help reset the infectious reservoir and prevent potential epidemic overshoot

if that's worth the cost is a real debate, but locking down isn't a worthless step, even if someone as frivolous as Lina is pushing for it

Bars are closed. Restaurants are at limited capacity (and the few I've been to in the last 2 months have been nearly empty).

Air travel is WAY down.

I honestly do not think anyone is catching this at HEB, Trader Joe's, Lowe's, etc - unless you let someone cough all over you. I personally don't get close enough to anyone for long enough to let that happen.

Gyms - this prob is a source of spread. But no one HAS to go to a gym right now. And the people who do are probably some of the healthiest/lowest risk people.

So, what's left to close? Dentists and eye doctors offices? These are medical professionals who should know how to keep people safe. If you don't feel safe going, stay home.

Small retail? Like restaurants, most of these places aren't seeing a lot of traffic right now. Some places didn't even reopen after the first shutdown. And social distancing in a store is not difficult.

Salons? Again, if you don't feel safe, don't get your hair cut or your nails done.

All another shutdown will do is arbitrarily close some businesses while keeping others open. We will be able to buy mattresses and liquor but not get new glasses.

And the people who are sick will still be irresponsibly gathering with groups of family and friends and spreading this around!
I'm just conjecturing here, but I think the biggest source of spread isnt people visiting these businesses. Its being in close contact with friends and family. People are still getting together and socializing as if life were normal. People think their social circle is safe. My family was highly offended when I told them we weren't willing to go on a family trip to a beach house in galveston because we werent comfortable being in a house with them for 3 days as they have been very social outside of our family circle throughout this whole summer. I didnt demand they make changes as they have the right to live their lives how they want. They just have to know they wont be seeing me or my kids anytime soon.
Be honest...you just didn't want to go to Galveston. It's OK, we all understand that, because Galveston sucks and you can't be that scared of this nothing burger.
schmendeler
AG
BohunkAg said:

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/IDCU/disease/influenza/surveillance/2019/19Wk39Oct04.pdf

Quote:

Pneumonia and influenza (P&I) death data are obtained from death certificates of Texas residents whose underlying or contributing cause(s) of death is reported as pneumonia or influenza.

that's two diseases rolled up into one stat.
TXTransplant
cajunaggie08 said:

TXTransplant said:

cone said:

it isn't meaningless

Air travel is WAY down.

That was exactly my point! And a shutdown doesn't prevent friends and family from getting together.

The couple of times I've socialized with friends, I've been very specific/particular about the circumstances. And I was very careful to limit contact with anyone else in the days after those activities.

Although, I may be the exception in that I have not hesitated using this as an excuse to avoid (certain) family!
Daddy-O5
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

TXTransplant said:

cone said:

it isn't meaningless

Air travel is WAY down.

If only that were true.
Daddy-O5
AG
aTm2004 said:

J.D. c/o 05 said:

LostInLA07 said:

A winery in Montgomery County just reopened at 25% capacity.
I tried to convince my wife we needed to move out to MoCo earlier this year when we moved (currently in Harris). This would've been very helpful at the time.
We moved from Montgomery County to Harris county 2 years ago. Love the house and neighborhood, but can't stand being part of CoH, especially now.
We originally moved in from MoCo to Harris right after we got married in 2016. I tried like hell to get her back on the right side of Spring Creek.
TXTransplant
Quote:

Quote:

If only that were true.

It is, and that's exactly why we are where we are today.

All those people who thought it was important to protest were able (and encouraged) to do so.

Want to host a party for 20-30 of your closest friends? Go right ahead.

Have a C+ spouse at home but still want to go to the grocery and visit with friends and neighbors? No one is stopping you.

Frankly, people just aren't making good decisions right now. I hosted a small brunch for a close friend who is turning 40 in my home a couple of weeks ago. I was honest with everyone about who was attending, we shared where we'd been/any potential exposure with each other. I was WFH for the two weeks after, so there was no risk of me exposing anyone that way.

A couple of people opted out - which I totally respect(ed)

But less than two weeks later, one of the people who opted out (supposedly because her son and husband have asthma) sent out a text about a second birthday celebration at a local restaurant.

Absolutely NOTHING has changed in the last two weeks to make dinner at a restaurant (with the same exact people) any more safe than a brunch at my house.

People are going to do what they want to do when they want to do it. Rules (or even suggestions/recommendations) only apply until someone is inconvenienced.

And most people's decisions right now are either driven by emotion or convenience. Logic has also caught coronavirus and is on a ventilator. It remains to be seen if it will survive.
cajunaggie08
AG
aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

TXTransplant said:

cone said:

it isn't meaningless

Air travel is WAY down.

Be honest...you just didn't want to go to Galveston. It's OK, we all understand that, because Galveston sucks and you can't be that scared of this nothing burger.
We actually went to galveston back in mid may just go get out of the house and let the kids play at the beach. I've only been to a non-texas beach twice in my life. It freaks me out when the water isnt yoohoo brown.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
BohunkAg said:

Honestly this is the most damning thing about how ridiculous this all is...
aTm2004
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

TXTransplant said:

cone said:

it isn't meaningless

Air travel is WAY down.

We actually went to galveston back in mid may just go get out of the house and let the kids play at the beach. I've only been to a non-texas beach twice in my life. It freaks me out when the water isnt yoohoo brown.
Wow. I...I...I'm at a loss. Water that isn't doodoo brown with questionable crap in it does exist, and so do beautiful sandy beaches without seaweed and the Galveston stench. You really need to plan a trip to Destin or somewhere similar. Or if you don't want to go that far, Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. Water isn't as beautiful as Destin, but 100x better than Galveston.
Keegan99
AG
A big reason why COVID is producing its current fatality numbers is because the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 flu seasons were so mild.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

TXTransplant
aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

TXTransplant said:

cone said:

it isn't meaningless

Air travel is WAY down.

Wow. I...I...I'm at a loss. Water that isn't doodoo brown with questionable crap in it does exist, and so do beautiful sandy beaches without seaweed and the Galveston stench. You really need to plan a trip to Destin or somewhere similar. Or if you don't want to go that far, Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. Water isn't as beautiful as Destin, but 100x better than Galveston.

Heck, if he doesn't mind Galveston, he will think the Mississippi Gulf Coast beaches are pristine!

I grew up there, and I didn't think anyone's beaches/water could be worse than ours. Then I moved to TX, and Galveston said "hold my beer".

I really miss being 2-3 hours from Gulf Shores/the FL panhandle
cone
AG
lol at you gulf coast beach snobs

love Galveston. the beach is supposed to be shabby af.
jetch17
AG
BUT YOULL DIE UF YOU GO TO THE BEACH
aTm2004
AG
Beach snobs? Nah. I just like nice beaches. But don't get me wrong...chit colored water, smelly beaches, and fat women in 2 pieces will always hold a special place in my heart.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
jetch17 said:

i must be dead then
jetch17
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

jetch17 said:

i must be dead then

Me too - that sh*t was PACKED last week!

bearkatag15
AG

California shut back down basically.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
BohunkAg
AG
bearkatag15 said:

California shut back down basically.
That should work. I hope that doesn't mean even more Californians come here.
BohunkAg
AG
He closed churches back down too...what a guy.
jetch17
AG
Wheels will follow by the end of week
BohunkAg
AG
Two. More. Weeks.

Jet Black
"Minimum two weeks"
CFTXAG10
AG
"This will allow us to reset and re-assess"

Who is us? Re-assess what? You promise it will be figured out in two weeks?
wessimo
AG
Hmmm... where have I seen that arrow shape on the west side of town before....

tylercsbn9
AG
BohunkAg said:

Two. More. Weeks.

Two weeks that just turns into two months like last time and then cases just rise again in September? No thanks
cone
AG
what exactly are you saying?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Interesting geography.
schmendeler
AG
cone said:

what exactly are you saying?
i'm guessing he's implying that that is where the white folks live.
cone
AG
maybe there's a connection between voting against HERO and catching the itis
wessimo
AG
I'm saying it has a surprising similarly to this map.

First Page Last Page
Page 199 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.