Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,473 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Daddy-O5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gougler08 said:

J.D. c/o 05 said:

gougler08 said:

I feel like 65 deaths in a county of over 2MM people isn't a big deal right?

I miss something? Almost 5 million in Harris county now.

I was just guessing at the number but makes my point even more

I agree. Which is why I thought we should get our facts straight.
The Kraken
AG
https://abc13.com/health/patients-wait-while-med-center-says-100s-of-beds-still-available/6310321/
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
XpressAg09
AG
schmendeler said:

gougler08 said:

relative to what?

Literally any other day in the same county.
htxag09
AG
Its impossible to say how many people died yesterday, the day before, etc. We won't know that until 2, 3 months from now, maybe longer.

One thing everybody should be able to agree on is our data is absolute garbage and worthless during all this. The fact that, best case scenario, it takes weeks to classify a death is mind boggling. If we want to be able to make real time and smarter decisions we need better data.
schmendeler
AG
XpressAg09 said:

schmendeler said:

gougler08 said:

relative to what?

according to this website, the average deaths per day in harris count is around 66. 65 deaths was over two weeks, which works out to ~5 per day, or about 7% of the daily total. big deal? i dunno, but i think if deaths from all causes were up 7%, it would be something to look into.

https://houston-probate-law.com/home/how-many-people-die-in-houston-texas-each-year/
XpressAg09
AG
schmendeler said:

XpressAg09 said:

schmendeler said:

gougler08 said:

relative to what?

according to this website, the average deaths per day in harris count is around 66. 65 deaths was over two weeks, which works out to ~5 per day, or about 7% of the daily total. big deal? i dunno, but i think if deaths from all causes were up 7%, it would be something to look into.

https://houston-probate-law.com/home/how-many-people-die-in-houston-texas-each-year/

The assumption that the death rate is up 7% is flawed.

What's not to say there were only 60 non-COVID deaths per day in the past two weeks, then the 5 that died per day due to COVID bring us right back to 65 per day, meaning there's no change in the death rate from any given day.

With the world focused on COVID, 'regular deaths' are being swept under the rug, or, rightly or wrongly, attributed to COVID. Until we see the total number of all deaths in the city/county, we cannot assume that the death rate has changed.
schmendeler
AG
XpressAg09 said:

schmendeler said:

XpressAg09 said:

schmendeler said:

gougler08 said:

relative to what?

What's not to say there were only 60 non-COVID deaths per day in the past two weeks, then the 5 that died per day due to COVID bring us right back to 65 per day, meaning there's no change in the death rate from any given day.

With the world focused on COVID, 'regular deaths' are being swept under the rug, or, rightly or wrongly, attributed to COVID. Until we see the total number of all deaths in the city/county, we cannot assume that the death rate has changed.
i'm not assuming any thing. i said IF deaths from all causes were up 7%. i think there's a very good chance that deaths from all causes are down during this time period, including covid, because there are no bars open, and people aren't interacting with each other as much.
AeroAg1
AG
No one will show us but what we need is the stat of dying OF covid vs dying WITH covid. The tweets from HHS tell us that a majority of these deaths have underlying conditions...then remind us that it is still deadly!
XpressAg09
AG
schmendeler said:

. i said IF deaths from all causes were up 7%.
aTm2004
AG
schmendeler said:

XpressAg09 said:

schmendeler said:

XpressAg09 said:

schmendeler said:

gougler08 said:

relative to what?

i'm not assuming any thing. i said IF deaths from all causes were up 7%. i think there's a very good chance that deaths from all causes are down during this time period, including covid, because there are no bars open, and people aren't interacting with each other as much.
Just because people aren't meeting their friends at a bar doesn't mean they aren't hanging out.
schmendeler
CFTXAG10
AG
rudy99 said:

No one will show us but what we need is the stat of dying OF covid vs dying WITH covid. The tweets from HHS tell us that a majority of these deaths have underlying conditions...then remind us that it is still deadly!
Bingo. It makes you wonder when an updated list of 6 deaths gets trotted out but all of them are 70/80 with underlying conditions.
schmendeler
AG
aTm2004 said:

schmendeler said:

XpressAg09 said:

schmendeler said:

XpressAg09 said:

schmendeler said:

gougler08 said:

relative to what?

Just because people aren't meeting their friends at a bar doesn't mean they aren't hanging out.
i understand that. i wasn't making a statement of fact, just sharing my guess as to what death counts have been like overall.
schmendeler
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

rudy99 said:

Bingo. It makes you wonder when an updated list of 6 deaths gets trotted out but all of them are 70/80 with underlying conditions.
just because someone has underlying conditions, you don't get to ignore their death from another disease. a person with cancer still dies from being in a car accident if they get hit by a drunk driver on the way to chemo, you don't get to hand wave it away as them going to probably die anyway.

i know it's comforting to some to think that these people would have died soon anyway, but acting as if that the life they would have lived in the absence of this disease is therefore worthless is pretty crappy to me.
aTm2004
AG
I understand that, but that comment doesn't make any sense. People are still hanging out with their friends and family. A central location may not be available at the moment, but it's happening somewhere.
Panama Red
AG
Looks like he's saying "people aren't interacting with each other as much."

Is that really disputed? Seems that's the case for 99% of people
Al Bula
AG
There is a big time opportunity to reduce public freedom in whipping the nation into COVID fears.

I'm absolutely shocked at the some of the fruitcake ramblings I've seen all over the news and social media.

Quarantine lockdowns are no different than prison lockdowns. The ruling class wants you in a cage (even if it is a nice home) gorging on terrible food to make you gain weight. They want you sedentary and easy to control.

Keep your hands washed and don't eat your boogers. Wake up and reject the fear that the Chinese and Marxist BLM terrorists want you to feel. Ignore those democrat overlords who want to keep you fearful. Be the leaders that your families need!
aTm2004
AG
schmendeler said:

CFTXAG10 said:

rudy99 said:

just because someone has underlying conditions, you don't get to ignore their death from another disease. a person with cancer still dies from being in a car accident if they get hit by a drunk driver on the way to chemo, you don't get to hand wave it away as them going to probably die anyway.

i know it's comforting to some to think that these people would have died soon anyway, but acting as if that the life they would have lived in the absence of this disease is therefore worthless is pretty crappy to me.
I don't think anyone is taking comfort in thinking people would have died soon nor are they ignoring their death. What people are taking from it is people with certain conditions have a substantially higher probability of dying from COVID than those without these conditions. So, what exactly are the conditions so people with them can take better precautions, as well as those in their family and circle of friends who may come in contact with them?
CFTXAG10
AG
schmendeler said:

CFTXAG10 said:

rudy99 said:

Thats not what I am trying to say at all. The question posed was if they are dying WITH COVID or dying OF COVID. My comment has more to do with wanting to know what those underlying conditions were.
aTm2004
AG
Panama Red said:

No it isn't. Maybe for you and cornabros, but majority of people are trying to live as normal life as possible right now. My kids still play with all of the other kids on our street. My wife and I sit out on the driveway with our neighbors while this is happening. Families are still getting together for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. BBQs are still happening with friends coming over. Single men and women are still going on first dates and hooking up with people. The only thing that has changed is where some of these events take place.
cone
AG
Quote:

Families are still getting together for birthdays, anniversaries, etc.
yeah, one look at the increased hospitalization chart could tell you that
Panama Red
AG
aTm2004 said:

Panama Red said:

No it isn't. Maybe for you and cornabros, but majority of people are trying to live as normal life as possible right now. My kids still play with all of the other kids on our street. My wife and I sit out on the driveway with our neighbors while this is happening. Families are still getting together for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. BBQs are still happening with friends coming over. Single men and women are still going on first dates and hooking up with people. The only thing that has changed is where some of these events take place.

How am I a coronabro because I can see the obvious?
I've been to bars, restaurants etc. a bunch since they opened. All far less crowded. Went to twin peaks yesterday. Empty. Sorry, those guys aren't meeting up at their house with buddies at 130 on Thursday.

Im married, but single friend told me yesterday that the dating app scene slowly picking up, but still very sparse. So "first dates" aren't happening nearly as much apparently

None of those things are happening as much as they were before all this shutdown. You are living in a fantasyland if you don't see that.

aTm2004
AG
cone said:

Quote:

Families are still getting together for birthdays, anniversaries, protests/riots, etc.
fify
schmendeler
AG
aTm2004 said:

Panama Red said:

I guess everything is normal, and there's no more concern for things being shut down anymore? Since everyone is doing all the things they would normally do?
cajunaggie08
AG
cone said:

Quote:

Families are still getting together for birthdays, anniversaries, etc.
Yup. My siblings were constantly at my parents house and now my dad has joined the ranks of the Covid-positive. Thankfully he doesn't currently have symptoms. Hopefully he remains asymptomatic and isnt pre-symptomatic. My mom went to go get tested yesterday then proceeded to go straight to the grocery store. My sister and brother-in-law who were at my parents house last weekend are still going in to work and out to restaurants despite being exposed to my covid positive dad. Just be careful out there everyone. If my idiot family is happily spreading this around, no telling how many others are doing it.
cone
AG
you're bringing an outdoors one off into an ongoing concern

it's losing its punch
aTm2004
AG
Panama Red said:

aTm2004 said:

Panama Red said:

How am I a coronabro because I can see the obvious?
I've been to bars, restaurants etc. a bunch since they opened. All far less crowded. Went to twin peaks yesterday. Empty. Sorry, those guys aren't meeting up at their house with buddies at 130 on Thursday.

Im married, but single friend told me yesterday that the dating app scene slowly picking up, but still very sparse. So "first dates" aren't happening nearly as much apparently

None of those things are happening as much as they were before all this shutdown. You are living in a fantasyland if you don't see that.

Didn't call you a coronabro. I said you and cornabros.

Living in fantasy land? I'm seeing it with my own 2 eyes. My neighbors on both sides of us have pools, but are on opposite ends of the age group with kids (young vs. teens). Both have friends over everyday swimming and hanging out. The 3 houses across the street and to the right of me all have teenagers. Friends coming and going throughout the day, everyday. Pass by any of the local schools in my neighborhood and you see kids on playgrounds, teens/young adults playing football, soccer, volleyball, etc. Any given weekend, there are kid's birthday parties going on, BBQ get togethers, etc. I hopped on a conference call for work a bit early yesterday and ended up chit chatting with a co-worker for a bit. He's married and in his early-30's (no kids), and him and his wife are leaving Saturday to fly to SLC to meet up with a few other couples they know to go hiking for the week, who are also flying in.

Just because you think people only meet up at a bar or restaurant doesn't mean it's true, especially those with young kids.
aTm2004
AG
schmendeler said:

aTm2004 said:

Panama Red said:

I guess everything is normal, and there's no more concern for things being shut down anymore? Since everyone is doing all the things they would normally do?
I honestly don't think anything should be shut down. Be honest with people and let us know what conditions give a person a higher risk, and let them take the precautions while the rest of us go about our lives.
Panama Red
AG
I've got young kids. The get together are not nearly as many as before. People do want to get back to normaL, but this still isn't anything close to normalcy.

Your buddy is flying to SLC. Guess who isn't? The 3 plane loads of people on cancelled flights from IAH because travel is down enormously.

If it is all normal, then you shouldn't have any complaints. Personally, I think it sucks butt
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

you're bringing an outdoors one off into an ongoing concern

it's losing its punch
An event that people and the "experts" are going out of their way to say didn't cause the uptick, even though anyone with a functioning brain knows is BS. Instead, they want more restrictions and to shut things down even more. I asked several pages back if masks and shutting things down works, then why was LA County leading the nation in cases. They were much more strict with mask requirements and opening things. There was something that happened out there a month or so ago...I can't quite remember.
cone
AG
higher risk being living with people with lower risk who engage in risky activity but screw those folks they should get their own place

maybe just take a beat to see how individual risk impacts collective risk through growing the disease reservoir and number of active vectors
aTm2004
AG
Panama Red said:

I've got young kids. The get together are not nearly as many as before. People do want to get back to normaL, but this still isn't anything close to normalcy.

Your buddy is flying to SLC. Guess who isn't? The 3 plane loads of people on cancelled flights from IAH because travel is down enormously.

If it is all normal, then you shouldn't have any complaints. Personally, I think it sucks butt
Sounds like your friends are using it as an excuse to not hang out with y'all.

I never said it's normal. I said people are trying to live as normal of a life as possible.
aggiemike02
AG
perfect username for your outlook
cone
AG
this is a dick thing to say

seriously
aTm2004
AG
Dammit...meant to use the winky.
First Page Last Page
Page 192 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.