Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,644 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Bondag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I may not leave TN if that happens
andgate
Toilet paper and paper towels have been sitting on the shelves too long. Need more people buying before the stock goes bad.
BohunkAg
AG
cone said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they shut it down again if that's what was needed to get schools open for the fall

That's not what's needed though. Pushing back people getting sick again into flu season would be a terrible idea. Pure lunacy.
Keegan99
AG
Yup. The only way out is through.

Any closures just kick the can down the road.
cone
AG
that wasn't the case for NYC

they cooked off, and then shut down

if they hadn't shut down it would have been even worse for potentially marginal return on whatever protection is afforded by the prevalence

overshooting even a 25% prevalence might not be needed as we go "through"

agree that if you're going to have an epidemic wave, have it now

although I also imagine continued social distancing and mask wearing is going to absolutely crush flu season
Keegan99
AG
The fatality timeline indicates that NYC infections were already trending downward before lockdown.
cone
AG
i would say that's because people were becoming scared ****less because they didn't know what coming at them

turns out it wasn't as bad as forecast insofar as hospitalizations

that paranoia has broken, and we're still in the midst of epidemic spread without that fear-based behavioral change largely available
Quincey P. Morris
AG
If the cat was out of the bag enough that some random low level employee at Hobby Lobby had been told about it there would be other legitimate sources.
gougler08
AG
It would be a death knell politically for Abbott to completely shut down again, no way
TXTransplant
third coast.. said:

Uncle tillman us still getting his. Boated past the boardwalk yesterday and it was semi packed. The boardwalk beast boat ride was nuts to butts though. The firework display was canceled but the one we saw from a private residence a little down the shoreline from kemah would have put it to shame though.

What time were ya'll out there? We started a trip out to Redfish late-morning and commented on how few people were at the Boardwalk (it was around lunch time). Passed by The Beast and it had two passengers.

Started the trip back in around 3-3:30. Boardwalk still didn't seem too crowded, and overall there were A LOT fewer boats out on the water, which really surprised me. Did not seem like a holiday weekend at all.
Post removed:
by user
TXTransplant
third coast.. said:

You were at redfish? I got to redfish about 430. We were late getting out. Passed back by kemah at like 645

Yep, but we left before you got there. We left the dock right around 11 and got out there around 1230. It was hotter than Hades...my skin felt like it was on fire. Ate, watched the big tankers, got in the water, and then headed back around 3. We were back at the dock probably around 5.

Sounds like it got a lot more crowded later in the day. I wish we'd waited, but going early was not my idea.
Post removed:
by user
Bassmaster
AG
cone said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they shut it down again if that's what was needed to get schools open for the fall
Yep, it worked so well the first time. Let's do it again!
cone
AG
If your priority is to abate epidemic spread, it does seem to work

but likely only 15 days is needed
Nitro Power
AG
cone said:

So the last 90+ didn't work, but just 15 more will....K
Aggie09Derek
AG

Edit: wrong thread but I guess a lot of people blue star it despite that?
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

Find yourself a woman that loves you as much as cone loves coronavirus and shutting down the economy.
AgLiving06
cone said:

The problem is nobody (rightfully) is going to listen this time around.

People were willing to listen and try before and what was the reward? 15 days that turned into 30 that turned into 2 months.

People followed the rules and the Government took advantage of it.

And then the protests and riots happen and the Government (and medical doctors) go so far as to claim that those were more important than stopping the spread.

To now come back and blame the bars and rafting and what not and avoiding the protests isn't going to sit well with anyone and I don't think people are going to willingly cooperate anymore.

Especially when it's clear we aren't going to be another NY.
Keegan99
AG
cone said:

No one is falling for the "15 days to slow the spread" nonsense again.
cone
AG
they locked down initially before any meaningful spread and didn't eradicate the disease

now you've got real prevalence and a climbing peak
cone
AG
fair

the baiting and switching and overall messaging has been terrible and we reap the whirlwind
Nitro Power
AG
cone said:

they locked down initially before any meaningful spread and didn't eradicate the disease

now you've got real prevalence and a climbing peak
Cases sure...deaths...this is unequivocally no
cone
AG
the problem with an epidemic is you really can't just keep it sequestered in the population you most want it to run through

but here's to hoping
Bassmaster
AG
cone said:

So, two more weeks?
Alex Bregman
AG
Bassmaster said:

cone said:

So, two more weeks?
ptothemo
AG
schmendeler
AG
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/spain-coronavirus-antibody-study-lancet-intl/index.html

This seems not good.

"Madrid (CNN)Spain's large-scale study on the coronavirus indicates just 5% of its population has developed antibodies, strengthening evidence that a so-called herd immunity to Covid-19 is "unachievable," the medical journal the Lancet reported on Monday."
CowtownAg06
AG
I would think this has more to do with antibodies fading but your body still learning the response for next time (T Cells). That said, if we are in for reinfections/second wave Europe will show us. So far so good on that front.
schmendeler
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

I would think this has more to do with antibodies fading but your body still learning the response for next time (T Cells). That said, if we are in for reinfections/second wave Europe will show us. So far so good on that front.

Can you explain further what that mechanism is? What is happening that your body his learning that isn't from antibodies?
CowtownAg06
AG
Dr Coates (Reville from the Covid board) discussing with a paper.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2742756979340575&id=1998386763777604

More background on T cells vs antibodies from Dr. Coates
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2734653810150892&id=1998386763777604
Onceaggie2.0
2 more weeks yall.
schmendeler
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Dr Coates (Reville from the Covid board) discussing with a paper.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2742756979340575&id=1998386763777604

More background on T cells vs antibodies from Dr. Coates
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2734653810150892&id=1998386763777604

Interesting. So if I'm reading correctly, there seems to be a general response to Corona-type viruses that your body uses to respond without antibodies? Like a muscle memory of sorts from dealing with previous coronal infections? Or at least that's one hypothesis.
BohunkAg
AG
schmendeler said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/spain-coronavirus-antibody-study-lancet-intl/index.html

This seems not good.

"Madrid (CNN)Spain's large-scale study on the coronavirus indicates just 5% of its population has developed antibodies, strengthening evidence that a so-called herd immunity to Covid-19 is "unachievable," the medical journal the Lancet reported on Monday."
I hate that it's gotten this way, but any time I see CNN on a story, I tend to dismiss it outright. Their credibility with me is about zero.
CowtownAg06
AG
I think so. Antibodies may not stick around for very long, but your body can still fight it off with a T Cell response that may last much longer. That's why I said watching Europe will very interesting to see what the next chapter of this virus looks like. Hopefully T Cell response provides durable immunity for a long time.
First Page Last Page
Page 185 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.