Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,525 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Bondag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ChampagneAg said:

Idk how else to make this clear. We shut down, , we opened up too soon, . I don't think we should immediately rush back to opening up, bc the end result is we end up shutting back down like we have recently. My belief is that if we had more /u/economic/u/ support in the way of government assistance to help those who are ultimately going to bear the brunt of a shutdown we could have transitioned through this pandemic more easily.

Now is there any part of that you don't understand?

The spineless leadership closed down too soon. Instead of flattening the curve they just moved it 3 months. We could have been done if we closed 2 or 3 weeks later when we actually had cases that could slowly spread through day to day activities. Instead we had almost no cases then opened up only for everyone to gather by the 50,000 and spread it that way. You know, at the rally Sylvester Turner was at. So we are not going to shut down again. We are going to live our lives because the government has already failed us on those we are done listening to them.
Daddy-O5
AG
SirLurksALot said:

ChampagneAg said:

How?

Simple, it would've spread faster and more people would've caught it and got over it by now.

Never too late to try again. Throw the doors open. We'll be done before this thread can devolve into another stupid mask debate again. (Ok maybe not THAT quick).
ChampagneAg
AG
Bro let's not make this political. People were out in numbers on Memorial Day prior to the protests so let's be intellectually honest.
ChampagneAg
AG
Survival of the fittest, eh?
cone
AG
plus those people were doing the right thing
Bondag
AG
ChampagneAg said:

Bro let's not make this political. People were out in numbers on Memorial Day prior to the protests so let's be intellectually honest.

Ok. Houston closed too soon. Spineless leadership. Argue that
Daddy-O5
AG
ChampagneAg said:

Individuals making their own personal choices about health and safety precautions based on their own level of concern and/or risk. It would be a brand new concept.
ChampagneAg
AG
Huh?
ChampagneAg
AG
No I said Houston opened too soon.
ChampagneAg
AG
Your choices affect others.
cone
AG
you aren't very smart
SirLurksALot
ChampagneAg said:

There's no guarantee that these lockdowns are going to save lives. All we're doing is kicking the can down the road and hoping that vaccine comes sometime in the next year. How long do you expect people to put their lives on hold for? What happens if the vaccine never comes?
Daddy-O5
AG
ChampagneAg said:

Your choices affect others.

This is somehow brand spanking new to COVID?
ChampagneAg
AG
Well then explain your point like I'm a five year old
SirLurksALot
J.D. c/o 05 said:

SirLurksALot said:

ChampagneAg said:

How?

Simple, it would've spread faster and more people would've caught it and got over it by now.

Never too late to try again. Throw the doors open. We'll be done before this thread can devolve into another stupid mask debate again. (Ok maybe not THAT quick).

I wish that would happen. Sadly most of this country has never experienced real fear in their lives, and thus they are terrified of a mild new disease when there is no logical reason to be scared.
ChampagneAg
AG
Cause and effect is well established, no?
ChampagneAg
AG
There is no guarantee, you're right. It's just my belief that a more continued lockdown would have been more effective. I think we've had a top down failure in leadership. But the appetite for any further lockdown is gone and it's unfortunate to me.
SirLurksALot
ChampagneAg said:

There is no guarantee, you're right. It's just my belief that a more continued lockdown would have been more effective. I think we've had a top down failure in leadership. But the appetite for any further lockdown is gone and it's unfortunate to me.

Again how long do you expect people to lockdown for? If we open up before a vaccine then the virus will come right back.
ChampagneAg
AG
Until we see a downward slope. Right now we're edging.
Jock 07
AG
ChampagneAg said:

Feel free to lock your own dumbass self down, no one is stopping you, or are you to weak minded to make decisions for yourself outside of what the government tells you to do?
SirLurksALot
Lol, once you open up the downward slope becomes an upward slope again. So what then? A perpetual cycle of lockdowns until we realize that everyone is going to catch this thing anyway?
ChampagneAg
AG
Where do you have to be?
ChampagneAg
AG
I'm pretty sure that's not how it works
SirLurksALot
ChampagneAg said:

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works

Really? You think the virus is just gonna disappear? Until we have heard immunity, as long as one person has the virus then it will spread.
Post removed:
by user
LostInLA07
AG
Montgomery County did the same.
AgLiving06
ChampagneAg said:

Idk how else to make this clear. We shut down, , we opened up too soon, . I don't think we should immediately rush back to opening up, bc the end result is we end up shutting back down like we have recently. My belief is that if we had more /u/economic/u/ support in the way of government assistance to help those who are ultimately going to bear the brunt of a shutdown we could have transitioned through this pandemic more easily.

Now is there any part of that you don't understand?

This doesn't seem supported by any of the actual facts.

Three important things you don't seem to be considering are:

1. California was locked down faster and longer than Texas. They were way behind us on opening back up and yet their 7 day average for positive cases is basically identical to Texas. Further, Texas started opening back up on May 1. Cases didn't materially start to rise until June 16th. If this virus is as easy to spread as is claimed, it shouldn't have taken 47 days to start spiking.

2. There's been no spike in death so far in any of the states really. New York saw a peak of nearly 1,000 deaths/day. Nobody broke 100 yesterday. Sure cases are up, but so far that's not translating to the deaths New York saw. This should be expected though because we are testing more than back in March and the cases we are seeing now are more mild. How many people on here said they've tested positive that wouldn't have gotten a test a couple months ago?

3. The lockdown was only meant to "flatten the curve." It wasn't meant to stop this virus entirely. By all measures this has occurred and the hospitals say they can handle the surge.

All that said, Abbott is a coward for bowing to the mob.

I don't have a problem with the mask order. I've worn a mask out at stores for a month or 2 now. No big deal. But to close tubing and beaches and what not is just stupid. We spent all this time saying this doesn't spread through outdoor activities, so what is logical about closing outdoor activities?

It's fear driven, not science.

ChampagneAg
AG
I disagree with your point 3 that we flattened the curve. I agree that the most recent decisions to shut down some businesses versus others has been arbitrary and doesn't help anyone. In my opinion.
AgsMyDude
AG
CMV: champagne is just Irish trolling
Alex Bregman
AG
SirLurksALot said:

ChampagneAg said:

Again how long do you expect people to lockdown for? If we open up before a vaccine then the virus will come right back.
Just 2 more weeks
Jock 07
AG
ChampagneAg said:

Where do you have to be?

A productive member of society
ChampagneAg
AG
Do you think I'm logged onto Texags from a van down by the river or something?
SirLurksALot
ChampagneAg said:

Do you think I'm logged onto Texags from a van down by the river or something?

No, don't be ridiculous. You're obviously logging on from your mom's basement.
ChampagneAg
AG
There aren't basements in Houston.
Nitro Power
AG
A vaccine is never coming. The common cold is a corona virus. All these years and there is not a vaccine for that either.
First Page Last Page
Page 182 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.