Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,843 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
terradactylexpress
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You're wrong
IrishTxAggie
AG
E said:

Keegan99 said:

Looks like it's the spot around TC Jester and Ella, I think? Shady Acres ish?
Yes, for all the Heights snobs in the room... that is technically Shady Acres

Lolpoors...
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
E said:

Keegan99 said:

Looks like it's the spot around TC Jester and Ella, I think? Shady Acres ish?
Yes, for all the Heights snobs in the room... that is technically Shady Acres

Real locals just call it the old Eckerds across from where K-Mart used to be.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Bigballin said:

Yeah, I keep the emergency alerts on so that I can be notified of a real emergency. It should not be used a propaganda medium.

What kind of real emergency are you expecting to be notified of?
Bigballin
AG
Weather warnings.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Bigballin said:

Weather warnings.

Edit: Wong emoji!
c-jags
wessimo said:

Didn't age well.

It's aged incredibly well. NY has 10x as many deaths as is with less population. CA has more than 2x as many deaths with less than 2x the population. Change both those statistics to deaths/100k and it's even worse.

Texas has faired better than both those states by every single metric.
TXTransplant
As much as I hate to admit it, it looks like gyms/fitness classes are a source of spread. And those have been allowed to remain open.

I go to a small group fitness class, and probably at least a dozen people have been notified that someone in class with them has tested positive. And I know at least a few people in class with the positive person have also tested positive.

Thankfully, I have not gotten a notice that I've been exposed, but this is pretty much the one thing I was doing (understanding the risk, obviously).

Within my closest group, we are in agreement that we should monitor for symptoms, but as long as you don't have any, you should proceed "business as usual".

Jock 07
AG
wessimo said:

Didn't age well.

Aged much better than your post. Sorry reality doesn't fit within your agenda
Noble07
AG
Same. Feels like normal at my gym. I go there understanding the risk, but I'm waiting for the Governor to shut it down again. Being able to work out again has really helped with my mindset during this stuff.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Agree. One reason I've decided to stay away for good. Been running and using what limited weights I have at home for my own little circuit routine. Cant wait until there's more weights/equipment available.
jetch17
AG
Dumb narc flagged pic
TXTransplant
98Ag99Grad said:

Agree. One reason I've decided to stay away for good. Been running and using what limited weights I have at home for my own little circuit routine. Cant wait until there's more weights/equipment available.
I've been taking small group classes - no more than 10 people, including the instructor. We had assigned spaces to work out that were 6 ft apart.

I was giving people the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't come to class if they felt sick. IDK if someone was asymptomatic or what. I'm not surprised this happened, just disappointed.

I think the A/C is working against us in situations like this, especially when you're breathing heavy (which is inevitable in an exercise class).

Like I said above, I haven't been notified that I've been in class with someone who tested positive, but the ice has been broken. I've been going once a day since they opened in mid-May. I'm not sure if I'll cancel the classes I have booked or not. I'm WFH again, so I don't have to worry about a 2-week quarantine from work, and I can go back to doing classes at home (they livestream to Facebook).

gougler08
AG
People at my gym have been staying far apart and honestly I feel it's much cleaner / safer than my normal visit to HEB. That being said, I don't do any group ex classes so I could see that being different
Post removed:
by user
LostInLA07
AG
F45?
jetch17
JYDog90
AG
My wife and I went to Nordstrom Rack at Willowbrook around lunch and there were about 5 people in the store. We walked around the mall a bit and about 20% of the stores were closed, the other specialty stores were only allowing 5-10 people total in the store, including sales people, at one time.

My wife said it's the safest she's felt at Willowbrook in years!

I would say the folks in Harris Co are taking this thing pretty seriously.
Formerly Willy Wonka
TXTransplant
LostInLA07 said:

F45?
No - barre classes.

Quote:

My wife and I went to Nordstrom Rack at Willowbrook around lunch and there were about 5 people in the store. We walked around the mall a bit and about 20% of the stores were closed, the other specialty stores were only allowing 5-10 people total in the store, including sales people, at one time.

My wife said it's the safest she's felt at Willowbrook in years!

I would say the folks in Harris Co are taking this thing pretty seriously.

This has been my experience in the area of Harris/Montgomery Counties where I live, too.

I've been out to eat a few times. Twice, the place was otherwise empty, another time, my coworkers and I did not come into contact with anyone else but our server.

I've been to a couple of retail stores (Macy's, Nordstrom Rack, Dillards), mostly to do quick returns of stuff I ordered online, and there might have been 3-4 people in my line of sight each time (certainly more than 6ft away). Some stores have required masks, but not all. I wear one. The big retailers all have sneeze guards installed around their cashier desks.

Certainly HEB and Trader Joe's have been much more crowded than any other place I've been, and they've been allowed to remain open this entire time.

I think going to barre the past 5 weeks and not developing any symptoms (or being notified of any cases) may have given me a bit of a false sense of security. But, I'm not in favor of another shutdown, and I don't think people should start isolating again.
JYDog90
AG
I've had 3 folks I know have to get tested in the last 24 hrs. This feels a bit like Santa Anna's army climbing over the walls.
Formerly Willy Wonka
cone
AG
lolwut
texagbeliever
SoupNazi2001 said:

I've been working out regularly since the gym opened and it is a big boost to my mental health. People really are ignoring the mental health risks to isolation and for many age groups this outweighs the COVID risks.

If it isn't easily measured and attributed it isn't important, at least to leadership.
gougler08
AG
Willy Wonka said:

I've had 3 folks I know have to get tested in the last 24 hrs. This feels a bit like Santa Anna's army climbing over the walls.

Well glad we ended up winning that war
TXTransplant
Willy Wonka said:

Are they getting tested because they have symptoms or because of a potential exposure (and no symptoms)?

I'm back to thinking, unless you have to go to the hospital, there is no need for a test. Just stay home until your symptoms subside per CDC guidelines.

If you have no symptoms, testing becomes a never-ending exercise, because you literally can be negative one day but positive the next, if you're not self-isolating.
Petrino1
TXTransplant said:

Willy Wonka said:

Are they getting tested because they have symptoms or because of a potential exposure (and no symptoms)?

I'm back to thinking, unless you have to go to the hospital, there is no need for a test. Just stay home until your symptoms subside per CDC guidelines.

If you have no symptoms, testing becomes a never-ending exercise, because you literally can be negative one day but positive the next, if you're not self-isolating.

This. I was with my girlfriend for the first two days while I had symptoms. We both tested at the same time and I tested positive, she tested negative. It gave her a false sense of security because she ended up developing symptoms a few days later and most likely would have tested positive for covid. She never tested again because it was too difficult to find testing in the city she lives in.
TXTransplant
If I'm not mistaken, I think I read the optimum window to test after exposure is 3-5 days. Earlier than that and you can get a false negative.

Then there is the "Kevin Bacon degrees of separation" dilemma. Do you get tested if someone you know had (or may have had) contact with someone who tested positive? And where does the tracing stop?
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Dora is *****ing about not having the authority to shut down the city again.
jetch17
AG
West Texas Lawyer said:

F her.
Ag06Law
AG
Haha glad to hear someone else refer to it as the "Kevin Bacon" situation. I've used the same. I think the only time to be concerned enough to quarantine and get tested is when you've had close contact with a known positive. For instance, I have a coworker whose kids were at a daycare with a worker who tested positive. His kids would have to quarantine, and he and his wife are doing so as a precaution, but I think that's where it ends. I don't intend to quarantine simply because I've had contact (not close, as defined by the CDC) with him.
AgLiving06
West Texas Lawyer said:

Which is exactly the reason why she doesn't have the authority.

You need calmness in leadership, not whatever the crap she has to offer.
AgLiving06
Three deaths reported today. At least for once they are all in the same month we are currently in.

First time I've seen anyone under 50.

CowtownAg06
AG
Curious what all the underlying conditions have been.
AgLiving06
CowtownAg06 said:

Curious what all the underlying conditions have been.

Agree, especially with the 20 year old.

With the 80 or 90 year old, I'd like to meet someone that age who didn't have an "underlying condition" considering they are beyond the average life expectancy already.
Post removed:
by user
ChemAg15
AG
Car wreck
First Page Last Page
Page 170 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.