Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,036 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BohunkAg said:

schmendeler said:

Cromagnum said:

Try pointing out to some scared wuss how it was always about flattening the curve. We were successful in dragging this thing out for 3 months so that hospitals weren't overwhelmed, and they will only point out "well look how steep the curve is now, we have to flatten it again". I'll listen when you stop burning cities down and protesting every *******ed thing while telling others they can't leave their homes in the same breath.
do you think that *****ing about protesters is going to change the reality of where we are now?

pretending that the current surge of hospitalizations is only a problem once protesters are called out is nonsensical.

you can be upset about the double standard, but that has no effect on the current reality.
I think pointing out that the anomaly of the protests is why we are seeing the surge is a valid data point, and that if we go back to being careful (like we were before), we should be able to flatten the thing again.
it very well could be in part because of the protests, but i don't know that i buy that it's only, or mostly, because of the protests.

we'll see.
Koldus131
AG
Cromagnum said:

schmendeler said:

Cromagnum said:

Try pointing out to some scared wuss how it was always about flattening the curve. We were successful in dragging this thing out for 3 months so that hospitals weren't overwhelmed, and they will only point out "well look how steep the curve is now, we have to flatten it again". I'll listen when you stop burning cities down and protesting every *******ed thing while telling others they can't leave their homes in the same breath.
do you think that *****ing about protesters is going to change the reality of where we are now?

pretending that the current surge of hospitalizations is only a problem once protesters are called out is nonsensical.

you can be upset about the double standard, but that has no effect on the current reality.

The current reality is that a large portion of the population DNGAF about the rest of us and are only intent on protesting and causing civil unrest. That undoes what everyone else is trying to do and I believe that putting that burden once again on business owners to close down to protect the masses is complete bull*****

It is rich reading this on a thread and website where many many users refuse to wear masks
Silky Johnston
Abbott just suspended all "elective" surgeries in Harris county.
schmendeler
AG
Cromagnum said:

schmendeler said:

Cromagnum said:

The current reality is that a large portion of the population DNGAF about the rest of us and are only intent on protesting and causing civil unrest. That undoes what everyone else is trying to do and I believe that putting that burden once again on business owners to close down to protect the masses is complete bull*****
i'm pretty sure there isn't still a large portion of the population in houston/harris county protesting and causing civil unrest.

but there is a decent population that still refuse to wear masks.
BohunkAg
AG
Koldus131 said:

Cromagnum said:

schmendeler said:

Cromagnum said:

It is rich reading this on a thread and website where many many users refuse to wear masks
I didn't say this and don't agree with all of this above, but I made clear earlier that's what I'm aggravated with. I've been wearing a mask everywhere I go. For like three months. Will continue to do so. Now there's a spike and I'm getting yelled at and inconvenienced more?
BohunkAg
AG
Koldus131 said:

Cromagnum said:

schmendeler said:

Cromagnum said:

How do you figure though that Texags is a "website where many many users refuse to wear masks."

That's painting with a broad, dumb brush. And don't point to the Politics board. I don't go to that trash board.
Cromagnum
AG
schmendeler said:

Cromagnum said:

schmendeler said:

Cromagnum said:

i'm pretty sure there isn't still a large portion of the population in houston/harris county protesting and causing civil unrest.

Oh, so that whole 2 weeks BS is out the window then? Its amazing that we had all this unrest 2-3 weeks ago and lo and behold there is now a spike.
TXTransplant
There is no reason why the solution has to be all-or-nothing, keep it all open vs shut it all down.

Restaurants ought to be able to stay open, at least at reduced capacity, and if they are required to report any positive test to the health department. Bars should probably stay closed, but we are all grown ups here. Let people make their own choices. If the risk of getting sick is worth an overpriced drink, so be it.

All retail should be able to stay open, as long as they don't get too crowded. I think most of them that can will encourage online ordering and curbside pickup anyway. If a store wants to require masks, that's fine by me.

Eye doctors and dentists ought to be able to stay open. These are medical professionals who know how to protect themselves and their patients. If you as a patient are concerned, then delay your appointment.

What we should be discouraging large gatherings of any type. This includes protests and church services.

Deeming any business or activity as "more essential" than any other was totally ridiculous the first time around. It just doesn't make sense that I could buy liquor and wine during the "shutdown", but my son, whose vision is absolutely terrible, could not get new glasses. We don't need to go down that path again.
aTm2004
AG
Cromagnum said:

schmendeler said:

Cromagnum said:

schmendeler said:

Cromagnum said:

Oh, so that whole 2 weeks BS is out the window then? Its amazing that we had all this unrest 2-3 weeks ago and lo and behold there is now a spike.
You're not understanding! All that happened a few weeks ago didn't cause this! Your refusal to wear a mask while you ran into HEB to grab a loaf of bread is what did this!
schmendeler
AG
Cromagnum said:

schmendeler said:

Cromagnum said:

schmendeler said:

Cromagnum said:

you said "are only intent on protesting and causing civil unrest". are you referring to something happening now, or something that happened 2-3 weeks ago?
Koldus131
AG
I agree we're all inconvenienced, and it sucks. Especially when we thought we were getting back to some semblance of normal. You won't find an argument with me there.

I don't have to go to the politics board to find many people not wanting to wear masks. I've seen it on this thread, and also plenty on premium. By "many" I certainly do not mean "everyone".
terradactylexpress
Agreed except people making their own choices is why we are where we are, be it a choice to protest, get drinks or hang out with people in groups
Teddy Perkins
AG
TMC CEO Press Conference
BohunkAg
AG
TXTransplant said:

There is no reason why the solution has to be all-or-nothing, keep it all open vs shut it all down.

Restaurants ought to be able to stay open, at least at reduced capacity, and if they are required to report any positive test to the health department. Bars should probably stay closed, but we are all grown ups here. Let people make their own choices. If the risk of getting sick is worth an overpriced drink, so be it.

All retail should be able to stay open, as long as they don't get too crowded. I think most of them that can will encourage online ordering and curbside pickup anyway. If a store wants to require masks, that's fine by me.

Eye doctors and dentists ought to be able to stay open. These are medical professionals who know how to protect themselves and their patients. If you as a patient are concerned, then delay your appointment.

What we should be discouraging large gatherings of any type. This includes protests and church services.

Deeming any business or activity as "more essential" than any other was totally ridiculous the first time around. It just doesn't make sense that I could buy liquor and wine during the "shutdown", but my son, whose vision is absolutely terrible, could not get new glasses. We don't need to go down that path again.
We have been attending church the last few weeks and it has been going rather well. Everyone wearing masks and observing social distancing. Still at 50% capacity. I believe church can be done effectively if restaurants can.
TXTransplant
terradactylexpress said:

Agreed except people making their own choices is why we are where we are, be it a choice to protest, get drinks or hang out with people in groups

True, but forcing people to do things just makes it worse when everything opens back up. There are some people who will never comply, and there are people who will stop complying once they realize that the people never complied in the first place are not being held accountable.

Truthfully, I'd be ok if bars and nightclubs stayed closed and occupancy at movie theaters, pools, etc was forced to stay at very reduced capacity.

But, ultimately, this all comes down to personal responsibility. If some people want to behave irresponsibly, then they can deal with the consequences.

The hospital situation concerns me, but again, I have to put my faith that people who run the hospitals will make the right decisions. And I'll do my absolute best to keep myself and my son AWAY from a hospital right now.

In the end, I can only control my own actions and no one else's. I'm doing the best I can, but I'm not self-isolating indefinitely. We all deserve the freedom to evaluate the risk of each activity/outing we engage in and make a decision for ourselves.
Gap
AG
sts7049 said:

blindey said:

HtownAg92 said:

BohunkAg said:

I don't know what it's like but it seems like the ICUs were at 70% capacity anyway, which is concerning. And this drive it up near 100. And we have a plan to help mitigate it. Which we should. What do you want?
For it to be taken a little more seriously. Call me crazy, but I don't think that reaching our "oh s&&&" contingency is no big deal, especially since trends are showing that even that may not last. Usually the "worst case scenario" is a passing thought with no real expectation that it will be reached, but we are there.
perhaps political leaders could have been preaching that message 2 weeks ago when .... something .... what was it .... 60,000+ people in mass .... what was that ..... but leaders encouraged it .... can anyone recall???
next time you want to protest a social issue we'll check and see first if it's convenient or not
Did you stand up for people being able to attend church which wasn't even allowed in a drive in setting from your car?
TXTransplant
BohunkAg said:

TXTransplant said:

We have been attending church the last few weeks and it has been going rather well. Everyone wearing masks and observing social distancing. Still at 50% capacity. I believe church can be done effectively if restaurants can.

I haven't been, but my church is doing something very similar, under the guidance of the Diocese.

I have friends whose churches do not require masks and are not as good at encouraging/requiring social distancing. You've got to have institutional (NOT government) leadership set the expectation and example and hold individual churches (or schools, or whatever) accountable.

Texan_Aggie
AG
TXTransplant said:

terradactylexpress said:

True, but forcing people to do things just makes it worse when everything opens back up. There are some people who will never comply, and there are people who will stop complying once they realize that the people never complied in the first place are not being held accountable.

Truthfully, I'd be ok if bars and nightclubs stayed closed and occupancy at movie theaters, pools, etc was forced to stay at very reduced capacity.

But, ultimately, this all comes down to personal responsibility. If some people want to behave irresponsibly, then they can deal with the consequences.

The hospital situation concerns me, but again, I have to put my faith that people who run the hospitals will make the right decisions. And I'll do my absolute best to keep myself and my son AWAY from a hospital right now.

In the end, I can only control my own actions and no one else's. I'm doing the best I can, but I'm not self-isolating indefinitely. We all deserve the freedom to evaluate the risk of each activity/outing we engage in and make a decision for ourselves.
This is why the government has to step in. People are stupid and, unfortunately, the consequences of this mess aren't limited to those behaving irresponsibly.
BohunkAg
AG
TXTransplant said:

BohunkAg said:

TXTransplant said:

I haven't been, but my church is doing something very similar, under the guidance of the Diocese.

I have friends whose churches do not require masks and are not as good at encouraging/requiring social distancing. You've got to have institutional (NOT government) leadership set the expectation and example and hold individual churches (or schools, or whatever) accountable.

We are lucky to have had very good leadership at the local level (from our priest) during this. He's had very sound medical advice and we've been comfortable going. He's also made it clear that those that are not comfortable going or those that are immunocompromised should not go. My 80-something parents haven't been....and we are all totally cool with that. It's still live streamed and all that.
BohunkAg
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

TXTransplant said:

terradactylexpress said:

This is why the government has to step in. People are stupid and, unfortunately, the consequences of this mess aren't limited to those behaving irresponsibly.
I would agree, except the "government" has already proven they are going to selectively enforce this thing and they have created much of this mess.
schmendeler
AG
if the protests are the sole or main reason for the surge in new infections and hospitalizations, then why isn't Minnesota experiencing the same thing? why not NYC? or DC?

Nate Silver made a good point. the places where we see the upticks are in places that DIDN'T get hit hard before. we hunkered down, but it was before it was an issue here. then we let up, and now it's surging.

i think the protests probably contributed some, but not like some might like to position it as the main cause.

here are graphs of showing daily new cases of COVID:

three places with huge protests and no big spikes and then texas and florida

Minnesota:

New York:

DC:

Texas:

Florida:
CowtownAg06
AG
The problem is we're all just guessing. It should be up to local/state leaders to understand what's driving this and shift policy accordingly.

Churches can be done safely. We're at about 25% in person with very spread out seating done by staff. Everyone over 6 required to wear a mask.
TXTransplant
BohunkAg said:

Texan_Aggie said:

TXTransplant said:

terradactylexpress said:

I would agree, except the "government" has already proven they are going to selectively enforce this thing and they have created much of this mess.

This! And no government intervention can fix stupid.

If anything, it just makes smart, ordinarily cooperative and rational people also do stupid things.
aTm2004
AG
Yet the government stepping in during the protests and funerals that happened a few weeks ago was nothing but encouragement for more people to be out and doing it. It's pretty hypocritical to point fingers at one group but completely ignore another, which had your (the government's) full support.
Texan_Aggie
AG
BohunkAg said:

Texan_Aggie said:

TXTransplant said:

terradactylexpress said:

Yes, it is a government of the stupid people and the government is stupid too as shown by this disastrous response at all levels. That said, if people won't try to help themselves and fellow citizens, the government do it for them, whether that is right or wrong.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

TMC CEO Press Conference
Methodist: EVERYONE, IF OUTSIDE YOUR HOME, NEEDS TO MASK UP! SOCIALLY DISTANCE! WASH YOUR HANDS! In good shape with PPE. Seeing lots of younger patients which generally require shorter visits. Come to the hospital if you have any medical issue and need care. Hospitals can convert beds into ICU beds if needed.

St. Luke's: Can staff as needed. Planning for anticipated needs in coming weeks and months. Also has ability to significantly expand need. Looking to double critical care capacity in coming weeks. Hospitals are incredibly safe. Sufficient PPE and have procedures to conserve. Houston hospitals are talking daily on how to care for patients. Still providing exceptional care. Responsibilities of public is to mask up, socially distance, stay home, and practice good hand hygiene. Asking businesses across Houston to implement safe guards with requiring masks, maintain social distance. Restricts visitors to help with socially distancing.

Texas Children's: Over 900 licensed beds. Daily basis operates 859 of those beds. This morning, using 581 beds due to slowly ramping up of elective procedures. Can flex up to 823. 355 beds are ICU and NICU beds. This morning, only using 121 ICU beds. Are taking care of COVID patients and have been since inception. Accepting referrals from some hospitals because they have capacity. Plenty of capacity to take care of children. Take care of the sickest of the sick. Dedicated over 30 beds to help care for adult patients. Has plenty of staff capacity. Here to fulfill our missions with great care.

Memorial Herman: 30% of ICU patients have COVID. 20% across other beds have COVID. Has plenty of capacity for COVID patients.

The letter from yesterday alarming bells regarding capacity was to urge people to do the right things in the community. Unintentionally alarmed bells regarding capacity for treatment. They have the bandwidth to increase capacity but still plea for Houstonians to socially distance, wash hands, mask up, and stay home.
BohunkAg
AG
Real solid info there from those guys. Thanks for posting. Glad those folks are getting out in front of this.
CowtownAg06
AG
All sounds very reasonable....

We can handle BUT don't be stupid. Nothing to argue about there.
Bondag
AG
I think Houston closed too early and pushed the peak back a few months. But there is too much resistance to shutting everything down because we already did that and now here we are with the same problem, just a few months later.
Pahdz
I live in MN. We might lag a bit in an uptick as we were slower to open up places like bars/restaurants, but also we seem to not be as inconvenienced to take extra precautions to protect our neighbors.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Teddy Perkins said:

TMC CEO Press Conference
Methodist: EVERYONE, IF OUTSIDE YOUR HOME, NEEDS TO MASK UP! SOCIALLY DISTANCE! WASH YOUR HANDS! In good shape with PPE. Seeing lots of younger patients which generally require shorter visits. Come to the hospital if you have any medical issue and need care. Hospitals can convert beds into ICU beds if needed.

St. Luke's: Can staff as needed. Planning for anticipated needs in coming weeks and months. Also has ability to significantly expand need. Looking to double critical care capacity in coming weeks. Hospitals are incredibly safe. Sufficient PPE and have procedures to conserve. Houston hospitals are talking daily on how to care for patients. Still providing exceptional care. Responsibilities of public is to mask up, socially distance, stay home, and practice good hand hygiene. Asking businesses across Houston to implement safe guards with requiring masks, maintain social distance. Restricts visitors to help with socially distancing.

Texas Children's: Over 900 licensed beds. Daily basis operates 859 of those beds. This morning, using 581 beds due to slowly ramping up of elective procedures. Can flex up to 823. 355 beds are ICU and NICU beds. This morning, only using 121 ICU beds. Are taking care of COVID patients and have been since inception. Accepting referrals from some hospitals because they have capacity. Plenty of capacity to take care of children. Take care of the sickest of the sick. Dedicated over 30 beds to help care for adult patients. Has plenty of staff capacity. Here to fulfill our missions with great care.

Memorial Herman: 30% of ICU patients have COVID. 20% across other beds have COVID. Has plenty of capacity for COVID patients.

The letter from yesterday alarming bells regarding capacity was to urge people to do the right things in the community. Unintentionally alarmed bells regarding capacity for treatment. They have the bandwidth to increase capacity but still plea for Houstonians to socially distance, wash hands, mask up, and stay home.
We're all really concerned about this virus. We all have an obligation to help stop the spread. The virus is spreading and it's concerning. We encourage the media and community to understand operational status because the numbers are misleading. We know how to operate at high capacity and can flex to care for additional patients. We are here to help and to work with community leaders. What we're really concerned about is that people unnecessarily get the virus and we need to avoid that. That's why we're emphasizing masking up, socially distancing, staying home, and washing hands.
TXTransplant
I'd agree with you, if I even had an ounce of faith that the government could come up with any plan other than an all-or-nothing approach. But they have shown themselves completely incapable of doing that.

And when they had the chance to actually prevent a mass gathering where tens of thousands of people were in close contact, they didn't.

So, if the government telling me that I can't get my haircut (with my stylist who is doing an outstanding job at protecting herself and her clients) and I can't go to my small group exercise class (that's also doing a great job), and I can't eat at a restaurant where I very well may be the ONLY patron, but that it's ok for me to go hang out with 60k strangers, then they don't deserve the power to tell anyone what to do, at least when it comes to this situation.
Ag_07
AG
So these TMC officials on TV don't seem to be too concerned and saying there is plenty of hospital capacity.
aTm2004
AG
Actually, LA County is now leading the nation, but that's not going to be widely reported, and you know why.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/los-angeles-county-now-leading-nation-coronavirus-cases/story?id=71425749

Quote:

LA County has more cases than any other county

Los Angeles County has more cases of coronavirus than any other county in the U.S.
LA has over 88,500 residents diagnosed with COVID-19, followed by 87,700 cases in Cook County, Illinois, and 64,000 cases in Queens in New York City.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/la-county-public-health-director-highly-likely-george-floyd-protests-caused-coronavirus-spike

Good for her for speaking the truth.
Quote:

The top public health official in Los Angeles County blamed massive protests for a spike in coronavirus cases.

Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer told the Los Angeles Times it was "highly likely" that the demonstrations, meant to protest against police brutality and racial injustice, contributed to the significant spike in COVID-19 cases in the city.
JYDog90
AG
I'm encouraged by TMC doing that. We need folks like this to strike the right tone.
Formerly Willy Wonka
First Page Last Page
Page 162 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.