Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,143 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
culdeus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How will the Astros cover up the sound of trashcan banging if the stadium is empty?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
culdeus said:

How will the Astros cover up the sound of trashcan banging if the stadium is empty?
they stopped using the trashcan a long time ago. they wear devices under their jerseys now.
IrishTxAggie
AG
culdeus said:

case04
AG
Are we going to change this board name to QuarenTINE anytime soon?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I fairness, Christianity cut its teeth during the Cyprian Plague, so it would be contrary to Christian faith and tradition to stop meeting/preaching/healing because of the risk of infection. Then again, I don't think Osteen's prosperity gospel includes radical self sacrifice, so I doubt that's what motivates the doors remaining open.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Al Bula
AG
case04 said:

bravo, sir

lunchbox
Liquid Wrench
culdeus said:

You could hear it on low attendance weeknight games anyway; just didn't know what it was for.
Cromagnum
AG
culdeus said:

If an Astro bangs on a can and nobody is there to hear it, is it still cheating?
culdeus
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

culdeus said:

they stopped using the trashcan a long time ago. they wear devices under their jerseys now.
Like the cam girls wear on (er in) their....? Asking for a friend.
wessimo
AG
Shife said:

case04 said:

bravo, sir

That joke was on p1.
jamesf
AG
aTm2004 said:

That tweet could really come back to bite him...
tamuags08
AG
Trump shutting down all travel coming from Europe for 30 days, effective Friday. Some exceptions for Americans that have been screened will be made, and I don't think UK is included in the ban. Still, wow.
Diggity
AG
NBA season over. Anyone that thought the rodeo could go on in this environment is crazy
OCEN99
AG
Now Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson have tested positive.
Zemira
AG
My grandmother lives in a retirement community in the Galleria area. They just locked the community down.

Canceled all visits unless medically necessary. Will allow visits to people who are unwell (with other ailments not covid-19) to family on case by case basis. Shutting off key fobs for entry/exit to building. Everyone must go through screening at main entrance. All activities cancelled. Dinners will be held with smaller groups or delivered. They can have things delivered (list of pharmacies & stores that deliver).

I just sent her a package today from Amazon of something she needed, but she couldn't get out for (she doesn't drive). May need to mail her care packages depending on how long this goes on.

I was worried about her, but honestly she is better off there in her own apartment versus underfoot at someone's house. Hopefully this prevents the virus from getting in the community.
Diggity
AG
Sounds like she's in good hands. Won't be fun in the short term but good policy.
W
AG
I guess movie theaters will be next
Bonfired
AG
Zemira said:

My grandmother lives in a retirement community in the Galleria area. They just locked the community down.

Canceled all visits unless medically necessary. Will allow visits to people who are unwell (with other ailments not covid-19) to family on case by case basis. Shutting off key fobs for entry/exit to building. Everyone must go through screening at main entrance. All activities cancelled. Dinners will be held with smaller groups or delivered. They can have things delivered (list of pharmacies & stores that deliver).

I just sent her a package today from Amazon of something she needed, but she couldn't get out for (she doesn't drive). May need to mail her care packages depending on how long this goes on.

I was worried about her, but honestly she is better off there in her own apartment versus underfoot at someone's house. Hopefully this prevents the virus from getting in the community.

My mom is in an independent living home in Chattanooga and I'm expecting something like that to come down soon...it had not as of yesterday morning. My sister went on a grocery store run for her a few days ago, so hopefully she's set.

What I'm expecting to hear about in the next 24-48 hours are the ISDs shutting down next week. A significant chunk of them are on spring break this week.
spadilly
S
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
wessimo said:

Shife said:

case04 said:

bravo, sir

That joke was on p1.
cone
AG
I think we'll hear that HISD will be closed for at least an extra week past spring break by Friday
pasquale
AG
cone said:

I think we'll hear that HISD will be closed for at least an extra week past spring break by Friday

Yep and more schools to follow come Friday.
spadilly
S
Non-Update update just sent out by Lamar ISD:

Quote:

Lamar CISD is committed to the health and safety of our students and staff. We realize that in recent days many parents and community members have growing concerns regarding the COVID-19 coronavirus.

At this time (3-11-20), there are no operational updates to report. However, Lamar CISD remains in continual communication with local health officials to ensure proper plans are in place following Spring Break. We will provide an update this Friday (3-13-20).

For additional information and resources, please review our COVID-19 Spring Break Travel Information by clicking here.
tylercsbn9
AG
I'd expect a slew of school closures announced tomorrow/Friday.

Probably two additional weeks of spring break for the kids and Abbot will grant a waiver to not make it up like he did for Harvey.
tylercsbn9
AG
Some Karen on my elementary school facebook. Y'all ready for your 6 year olds to do some online schooling?

Person 1: Do you think they will cancel school??

Person 2: I'd say highly probable. I would guess two weeks post spring break if i was a betting man. Hopefully Gov Abbott will grant a waiver so says don't need to be made up. Like he did for Harvey.

Person 3: other districts are having online classes. I have friends in WA and TN doing that. I don't see why we couldn't do the same here

Person 2: There will not be online classes. Can you imagine a kindergartner attending an online class??? Lol. That would only be feasible for college. And maybe high school. Not to mention the entire district doesn't even have the capability for that.

Person 3: ive seen a little bit of it. They watch videos of their teachers teaching in the classroom. It's not like a college online course..

Also posts a picture of a kid one a computer.

Person 2: You're vastly over estimating the attention span of 5-9 year olds. Only way it could possibly work is if they have a parent in the next room to constantly monitor. Otherwise they'd be off watching YouTube kids and Netflix with in 15 minutes. Not all kids parents will likely be able to stay at home either.

Not even considering the actual behind the scenes capabilities that would need to be in place. Lots of people have technology but there will still be many that don't. And if you have more than one school aged kid you'd need multiple devices. It just wouldn't be feasible.

Colleges have been building for years and years their online capabilities. School district redacted won't be able to implement that by Monday or even a week from now.

Person 3: It's not really an issue to debate. Either they will or won't, but this is a third grader in Seattle taking online classes this week. You said it couldn't be done, but it's already being done. I think the idea is that you would be there with your child. Will it be fun no... but as a parent that's part of the job.
FHKChE07
AG
That totally works as long as you are a stay at home parent or aren't going to try to work from home during this business. Otherwise, you just lost your child care and so you can't really work anymore.
spadilly
S
Bondag
AG
spadilly said:

It looks legit, but I don't see the Venmo on there.
Ciboag96
spadilly said:

I'm sure their PayPal account will be on holy fire!
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Bondag said:

spadilly said:

It looks legit, but I don't see the Venmo on there.

Tone2002
Anyone hearing about them shutting down the airport and not letting people fly???
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Source?
Tone2002
Sorry I was just wondering had anyone else heard this. My friend has a flight this weekend to Cali and was concerned. Not confirmed at all.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Tone2002 said:

Sorry I was just wondering had anyone else heard this. My friend has a flight this weekend to Cali and was concerned. Not confirmed at all.

No, no one has heard domestic travel is shut down.

Better phrasing, "anyone think they might shut down domestic travel soon?"
First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.