Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,347 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
third coast.. said:

No, one side says if you dont wear a mask you're being selfish, and the other side says you do you and I'll do me.

Think you're glossing over some of the rhetoric on here.
Post removed:
by user
BowSowy
AG
I mean, I didn't mention anything about texags in particular. I agree with you about this thread and board. The crazies on here are the ones who think anyone who doesn't wear masks are selfish killers. Other spots on Texags (or social media) think the opposite. That was my point, both sides are ridiculous
aTm2004
AG
BowSowy said:

Both sides are ridiculous about it. Who knew a damn face mask could be so divisive? One side says those who don't wear a mask are being rebellious or selfish, while the other side says people who wear a mask are living in fear or being sheep. It's a mask, who cares? I'm so tired of everything being an argument where both sides dig their heels into the sand.

I get that people are bored as **** and frustrated and wanting to take that boredom and frustration out on someone. Quit with the mask debate and focus your energy on aTm2004

Hey!

aTm2004
AG
third coast.. said:

No, one side says if you dont wear a mask you're being selfish, and the other side says you do you and I'll do me.

Post removed:
by user
Stat Monitor Repairman
TXTransplant
TarponChaser said:

TXTransplant said:

So, I'm a member of the YMCA and got this email today. It's a list of facilities in the greater Houston area that will be open for DAY CAMP, for those of you who need a place to park the kiddos.

CENTERS AVAILABLE FOR OUTDOOR GROUP EXERCISE, LAP SWIMMING AND CAMP/CHILD CARE
Fort Bend Family YMCA
Harriet and Joe Foster Family YMCA
Lake Houston Family YMCA
Langham Creek Family YMCA (outdoor programs for members until July 20 due to construction)
Mark A. Chapman YMCA at Katy Main Street
D. Bradley McWilliams YMCA
The Woodlands Family YMCA at Shadowbend
Tellepsen Family Downtown YMCA
Trotter Family YMCA
WD Ley Family YMCA
Weekley Family YMCA

CENTERS OPEN FOR CAMP/CHILD CARE ONLY (through September 1)
Alief Family YMCA
Conroe Family YMCA
EA Smith Family YMCA
MD Anderson Family YMCA
Houston Texans YMCA
Thelma Ley Anderson Family YMCA
TW Davis Family YMCA
West Orem Family YMCA
I got the same email. They're not open until June 1 if I read it correctly.

Yeah, it's effective June 1. I should have put that in my original post.
Bassmaster
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

TarponChaser said:

HtownWilly12 said:

Logically you have to see that masks aren't simply a placebo. It is a respiratory virus. Wearing a mask (correctly albeit) will inherently decrease the amount of particles or spray you put out and take in. Are they perfect, no, but are they a mitigating and helpful step to take, yes. I have reviewed plenty of the data and the studies that come out of each country claiming to have learned something new about the virus but at the end of the day this virus really hasn't hit very close to home. Harris county has a pretty small number of total cases compared to other areas of the country. We resume as if nothing had happened and don't take the basic steps to try to prevent the spread and the cases and deaths will grow exponentially. It's human nature to not view that in as serious of a light until its on our doorstep. Your lack of ability have any foresight is ridiculous and dangerous to those you come in contact with.

There's plenty of data out there showing that the wearing of cloth masks does nothing to impact transmission and are nothing more than a virtue-signalling placebo. Even wearing of ordinary surgical masks does little, particularly when worn improperly.

I have plenty of foresight on the matter based on all the data out there. The models projected millions of deaths in the USA even with shut-downs and social distancing. They've been nowhere close to correct. The data being trumpeted regarding the R0 and mortality rates has been shown to be garbage over and over again. This virus is simply nothing major unless you're elderly or have serious health issues already. There's been a lot of positive news and studies out there showing the shutdown was a major overreaction only to be shut down in the media (and I'm not talking about that garbage "Plandemic" film).

But, sure tell us how this is all about the coronabro favorite word "exponential."
I dare you to tell that to one of the tens of thousands who had to be hooked up to a respirator to survive.

The growth rate of both cases and deaths WAS exponential until we all stayed home. Perhaps that was coincidental. Perhaps just keeping away from the office knocked the transmission chances way down. Maybe we can keep it in check by washing hands more often and taking precautions. I just happen to choose to believe that unless a God given miracle of a mutation changes this virus to not being as contagious or bad as it was in the early part of the year we are on the path for a second wave sooner than later. I have yet to see that data point that makes me think mingling with the masses wont cause the growth rate to return to exponential levels. I hope to see it sooner than later
Yep, it was the stay at home orders that prevented the exponential growth rate...that and the fact that the disease is not transmittable at HEB, Lowes, or Home Depot.
Jack Cheese
AG
I have been on the cautious side (but not overboard) of the mask debate, flattening the curve, reopening, etc. Partly because the "no masks muh FREEDOM" crowd has seemed so damn irresponsible this whole time and sorry... I don't find people with that attitude to be convincing. Just shallow.

Maybe covid isn't the threat we thought it was. But you idiots can't even seem to admit that it's a complex situation that demands some caution.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Jack Cheese said:

I have been on the cautious side (but not overboard) of the mask debate, flattening the curve, reopening, etc. Partly because the "no masks muh FREEDOM" crowd has seemed so damn irresponsible this whole time and sorry... I don't find people with that attitude to be convincing. Just shallow.

Maybe covid isn't the threat we thought it was. But you idiots can't even seem to admit that it's a complex situation that demands some caution.
Then take your own precautionary measures that you deem necessary and others will do theirs. Once the data sets came out with the age distributions and comorbidities, I believed it to be entirely pointless. I'm not going to hospitals and nursing homes where this crap spreads like wildfire. I'm going to places that have and will always have high traffic and the masks aren't going to do anything.

Give me a story about how the average Joe wearing a bandanna over their face definitively stopped the spread of the virus. Not studies or articles. Give me actual proof. Because for all the studies and articles you may pull up showing it works, there are just as many counter studies.

These videos demonstrate how pointless they are

This one is on gloves

This one is with a mask
chrisrrtx
AG
Y'all suck. I come here to read about what the government has announced and what local businesses are doing - not to see y'all go back and forth on the same debate with no end in sight.
TAKE IT TO THE MASK BOARD
Al Bula
AG
I swear some of yall could f ck up a free lunch with all this gayness about masks and Karenning. Your penance shall be 50 tugs to the Prancing Centaur goddess.

Good Joy to you all! Let not Corona steal your spirits.
ATM9000
AG
Has a joke ever jumped the shark as quick as the whole 'Karen' thing?
aTm2004
AG
Bassmaster said:

cajunaggie08 said:

TarponChaser said:

HtownWilly12 said:

Logically you have to see that masks aren't simply a placebo. It is a respiratory virus. Wearing a mask (correctly albeit) will inherently decrease the amount of particles or spray you put out and take in. Are they perfect, no, but are they a mitigating and helpful step to take, yes. I have reviewed plenty of the data and the studies that come out of each country claiming to have learned something new about the virus but at the end of the day this virus really hasn't hit very close to home. Harris county has a pretty small number of total cases compared to other areas of the country. We resume as if nothing had happened and don't take the basic steps to try to prevent the spread and the cases and deaths will grow exponentially. It's human nature to not view that in as serious of a light until its on our doorstep. Your lack of ability have any foresight is ridiculous and dangerous to those you come in contact with.

There's plenty of data out there showing that the wearing of cloth masks does nothing to impact transmission and are nothing more than a virtue-signalling placebo. Even wearing of ordinary surgical masks does little, particularly when worn improperly.

I have plenty of foresight on the matter based on all the data out there. The models projected millions of deaths in the USA even with shut-downs and social distancing. They've been nowhere close to correct. The data being trumpeted regarding the R0 and mortality rates has been shown to be garbage over and over again. This virus is simply nothing major unless you're elderly or have serious health issues already. There's been a lot of positive news and studies out there showing the shutdown was a major overreaction only to be shut down in the media (and I'm not talking about that garbage "Plandemic" film).

But, sure tell us how this is all about the coronabro favorite word "exponential."
I dare you to tell that to one of the tens of thousands who had to be hooked up to a respirator to survive.

The growth rate of both cases and deaths WAS exponential until we all stayed home. Perhaps that was coincidental. Perhaps just keeping away from the office knocked the transmission chances way down. Maybe we can keep it in check by washing hands more often and taking precautions. I just happen to choose to believe that unless a God given miracle of a mutation changes this virus to not being as contagious or bad as it was in the early part of the year we are on the path for a second wave sooner than later. I have yet to see that data point that makes me think mingling with the masses wont cause the growth rate to return to exponential levels. I hope to see it sooner than later
Yep, it was the stay at home orders that prevented the exponential growth rate...that and the fact that the disease is not transmittable at HEB, Lowes, Home Depot, or mass transit systems.
fify
cajunaggie08
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Jack Cheese said:

Then take your own precautionary measures that you deem necessary and others will do theirs. Once the data sets came out with the age distributions and comorbidities, I believed it to be entirely pointless. I'm not going to hospitals and nursing homes where this crap spreads like wildfire. I'm going to places that have and will always have high traffic and the masks aren't going to do anything.

Give me a story about how the average Joe wearing a bandanna over their face definitively stopped the spread of the virus. Not studies or articles. Give me actual proof. Because for all the studies and articles you may pull up showing it works, there are just as many counter studies.

Thats what a study attempts to do. virus travels in water droplets. there is proof in that. anything that reduces the spread of said water droplets from your mouth and nose from being more airborne will help should anyone else that has to be within close contact of another person. Yes the virus is small enough by itself that it would fit through a bandana. But the bandana will catch the water droplets that it needs to travel around in.

Maybe the pee chart will help

Zemira
AG
Third any idea when you are getting off your ship? Was thinking the other day about people stuck far away from loved ones in the pandemic and I thought of you. Hopefully your wife and kids are doing okay and that you aren't going too crazy being locked up.
aTm2004
AG
That graphic is fine if the particles are larger than what they're trying to pass through...buuuut....

Quote:

Specifically, room air filters designed for furnace, HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) or central heating and cooling systems performed as well as the N95 material in removing the 300 nanometer diameter particles under the conditions tested in this study. In addition, the Eureka vacuum bag performed nearly as well, removing 94% of the particles removed by N95 material. The vacuum bag outperformed the standard surgical mask, which removed particles only 72% of the particles removed by the N95, making the vacuum bag our second-choice household item. Unfortunately, the cloth samples tested in this study performed relatively poorly, with the standard bandana donned by many eliminating only 28% of what the N95 removed.
AgsMyDude
AG
aTm2004 said:

That graphic is fine if the particles are larger than what they're trying to pass through...buuuut....

Quote:

Specifically, room air filters designed for furnace, HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) or central heating and cooling systems performed as well as the N95 material in removing the 300 nanometer diameter particles under the conditions tested in this study. In addition, the Eureka vacuum bag performed nearly as well, removing 94% of the particles removed by N95 material. The vacuum bag outperformed the standard surgical mask, which removed particles only 72% of the particles removed by the N95, making the vacuum bag our second-choice household item. Unfortunately, the cloth samples tested in this study performed relatively poorly, with the standard bandana donned by many eliminating only 28% of what the N95 removed.

On a large scale, 28% is still pretty good particularly in closed areas with lots of people like the grocery.
Daddy-O5
AG
For sh*t's sake, I've gotten into the mask thing plenty on this thread too and I'm getting tired of it.
Jackal99
AG
GDit, can we just leave this thread to actual information? Quit the bickering about masks, and save it for the **** that really matters...like which weatherchick is the most bangable and which guy makes the best burgers in his backyard.
Texaggie7nine
AgsMyDude said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

On a large scale, 28% is still pretty good particularly in closed areas with lots of people like the grocery.
Exactly. And what a lot of people are wearing now are masks being made for this purpose which even the home made masks are being extra layered or have pouches to add filters.

These are well over 50% and more blocking power.
7nine
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
There are also masks out there with holes in them so you can sip your drink while saving the world.
jh0400
AG
I don't understand the mask hate. Even if the benefits are negligible at best I don't understand how anyone is worse off by wearing a mask than not. Is it the joy of open defiance of a nanny state directive?

Fitch
AG
jh0400 said:

I don't understand the mask hate. Even if the benefits are negligible at best I don't understand how anyone is worse off by wearing a mask than not. Is it the joy of open defiance of a nanny state directive?
Yes. And it's exhausting to click through.
Unemployed
AG
135 pages and the same arguments have been presented at least 50 times already.

Now it's a contest on who can be the snarkiest (is that even a word?).
AgsMyDude
AG
jh0400 said:

because mah luburhty and freedumz
Daddy-O5
AG
RealTalk said:

135 pages and the same arguments have been presented at least 50 times already.

Now it's a contest on who can be the snarkiest (is that even a word?).
user name checks out.
aTm2004
AG
AgsMyDude said:

jh0400 said:

Would you prefer to live in Michigan, Illinois, or Los Angeles right now?
Post removed:
by user
dragmagpuff
AG
jh0400 said:

I really don't understand the disconnect of claiming masks have no collective benefit by sharing an article that shows that they can stop 28% to 75% of virus-carrying droplets.

aTm2004
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

jh0400 said:

Because they suck to wear. They are hot, uncomfortable, look bad and it just feels weird. Enjoy wearing yours though comrade.
Wearing a black long sleeve shirt while outside is beneficial, but I doubt many will pull one out of the closet before they head to Kyle for a 2:30 kickoff in September.
Sumatriptan
AgsMyDude said:

jh0400 said:

not wearing a mask dont' care what dolts on texags think.
First Page Last Page
Page 135 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.