Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,242 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go read up on how may diseases/viruses can be spread before a person knows they have it. You'll be going out in public in a bondage suit and a mask issued to a soldier during Vietnam.

Just curious, have you ever rawed a girl within the first couple of months of dating?
TXTransplant
Interesting anecdote/observation about mask wearing in my area.

We went to an HEB in Harris Co last Saturday (I think...who really knows what day it is). I really thought we'd be looked at like pariahs for not having masks, but only about 20-30% of the people shopping were wearing one.

Went to an HEB in Montgomery Co. today - almost everyone shopping was wearing a mask. We were definitely in the minority.

Other interesting observation - these two HEBs (that are probably < 3 miles apart on the same road) vary pretty significantly in what items they are able to get to stock the shelves.

For example, the one closest to my house has not had blocks of Parmesan cheese for weeks. I went to the one a little farther away today and they had tons of them. There were other things that I haven't been able to find at my "regular" store, too.

So, if there is something you've been unable to get at your HEB, try looking for it at the next closest store.
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

He seems to be doing that a lot of this thread.
What? Pointing out the complete loss of logical thinking because of fear and how what we should be doing changes like the effing wind? That's exactly what this is.
Well logical thinking says less water droplets flying out of your mouth into the air is going to result in less virus load available for others to breath in or fall onto surfaces.
Less =/= none, so unless you're doing everything else to protect yourself (wiping down items on the store shelves before touching, sanitizing yourself before getting into your car or walking into your house, you're not really doing much. Also, Leslie with her cowgirl bandanna over her mouth with the bottom flapping around like her saggy up-tops isn't stopping anything when she coughs up a lung from 37 years of 2 packs a day.
More logical thinking

When something is bad

none of it is best while less of it is better than more.
No, logical thinking is this isn't spreading any differently than any other virus, but we're treating it like it's something it's not. Logical thinking is people who are taking minimal precautions (cut up t-shirt over their mouth) really aren't taking precautions at all, and will not continue to take those precautions once this blows over, even though there are viruses/diseases out there that are just as or more dangerous to them. Which makes this whole thing silly. If you really believe a mask will help prevent the spread, then go all out and wear one everywhere for the rest of your life.
HouAggie2007
Oh right, the part of a discussion board where you get to make claims and then say but I don't want to talk about it/not looking for responses. I don't care.

Also don't give a **** about your wife's illnesses. Was unaware that she has a predisposition to covid symptoms
cajunaggie08
AG
aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

all those quotes seem to justify that wearing a mask to reduce the spread of infected person water/spit droplets is a good idea.
Or just practice the same hygiene procedures we always have and go about our lives,
we tried that back in february. does the exponential spike in cases not ring a bell? Sure our hospitals didnt get overloaded thankfully as we practiced social distancing early enough. We are currently at around 50,000 deaths related to COVID-19 in the US. Sure you can argue about how what percentage of those are deaths that would have occurred anyways but they happened to have tested positive for the virus. We hit that 50,000 number in roughly 2 months and we aren't out of the woods yet. The CDC reports we have had anywhere between 24,000 and 62,000 deaths related to the 2019-20 flu season which runs from october through april. We currently are at the peak of number of newly infected per day which only exists because of social distancing and we have already equaled or perhaps surpassed the flu season death count. Are you really convinced this is just no worse than a flu and we'll all just go about our lives with the same previous set of general hygiene rules and the death count wont somehow hit 200,000 by the end of the year?
Texaggie7nine
What's out there that is just as dangerous or worse that I am just as likely to catch from breathing it in if I go out to the market today?

Hate to tell you, but if the regular flu made NYC have far over twice the normal daily death rate than without it, the same push to wear masks everywhere would be happening for the flu.
7nine
BowSowy
AG
aTm2004 said:

What's not accurate? That this thing is spreading like other viruses? I'm simply amazed by how logic is thrown out the window with people because of fear. This isn't some supervirus that is spreading in odd ways. It's spreading in much the same ways as others. The only reason sneeze guards are put up at grocery stores is to give the people who decided to panic because of the fear hype the media has been feeding them some sense of security, no matter how effective it is. If there weren't "experts" (<cough>political hacks</cough>) on TV predicting millions of people dying because of this in an attempt to spread fear, we'd be living a normal life right now.

I'm not a doc, but I know some post on here. Maybe they can chime in and say "normal viruses are spread by A, B, and C, but this virus isn't spreading like that. It's spreading by X, Y, and Z." If there's proof this thing isn't spreading like other viruses, then I'll admit I'm wrong, but based on the CDC, it's not.
Also not a doc, but I think the method of transmission for the flu and coronavirus are the same, but the efficiency of transmission is different. For the flu, the average person spreads the flu to around 1.3 people, whereas the CDC estimates the average person spread coronavirus to 5.7 people in China. The NIH estimated that the average person spread coronavirus to 2.3 people on the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

The other difference between the flu and coronavirus is how long it takes to show symptoms after you've contracted the virus. It looks like the CDC says people start showing symptoms for the flu 1-4 days after contracting it whereas people start showing symptoms for coronavirus 2-14 days after contracting it.

So you're right, mostly similar methods of transmission, but coronavirus is more efficiently spread and can be spread for longer before people show symptoms. I think that's why you're seeing more safeguards put in place to stop the spread of this virus that you don't normally see for the flu.
CDUB98
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

Oh right, the part of a discussion board where you get to make claims and then say but I don't want to talk about it/not looking for responses. I don't care.

Also don't give a **** about your wife's illnesses. Was unaware that she has a predisposition to covid symptoms

You're right, I don't want to waste my time arguing with someone who is not going to change their mind and also know I won't change mine. Pretty useless waste of time that I spent too much time doing when I was younger and have no desire now.

If you just want to argue with someone, seems schmelba is always up for it.
HouAggie2007
Then why make knowingly incorrect statements?
Bondag
AG
Can we take this to a PM or a new thread?
CDUB98
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

It is not knowingly incorrect.

It is a high probability assumption, one which, obviously, you disagree with.

If you don't like probabilities based on observation, I sure hope you're just as upset about NYC's added 3,700 cases, because that's exactly what they did as well. No testing, just assumption based on observation.

If it weren't for my wife, I would not make sure a strong statement of probability.

Look, I've got to get back to work. Go argue with 2004. He's up for it.
aTm2004
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

all those quotes seem to justify that wearing a mask to reduce the spread of infected person water/spit droplets is a good idea.
Or just practice the same hygiene procedures we always have and go about our lives,
we tried that back in february. does the exponential spike in cases not ring a bell? Sure our hospitals didnt get overloaded thankfully as we practiced social distancing early enough.
Does only testing if you meet certain requirements ring a bell? If your'e only testing people who have a high probability of having it, you're going to have a huge spike in cases. And now, it seems like it's been around much longer than people originally thought and more people have the antibodies than originally thought, so is the spike really a spike?

Quote:

We are currently at around 50,000 deaths related to COVID-19 in the US. Sure you can argue about how what percentage of those are deaths that would have occurred anyways but they happened to have tested positive for the virus. We hit that 50,000 number in roughly 2 months and we aren't out of the woods yet.
Yeah, the death numbers will look huge if you count anybody that had it or could have had it as a COVID death, even if it wasn't the true cause of their death. Do you honestly think someone in hospice with a month to live who tested positive from COVID was killed by COVID? But hey, that 50,000 deaths is much better than the millions the "experts" predicted at the start of this.

Dr Birx: "If someone dies with COVID-19, we are counting that."

Yeah, that's not going to skew the numbers up, is it?

Quote:

The CDC reports we have had anywhere between 24,000 and 62,000 deaths related to the 2019-20 flu season which runs from october through april. We currently are at the peak of number of newly infected per day which only exists because of social distancing and we have already equaled or perhaps surpassed the flu season death count. Are you really convinced this is just no worse than a flu and we'll all just go about our lives with the same previous set of general hygiene rules and the death count wont somehow hit 200,000 by the end of the year?
Because the above mentioned person's neighbor in hospice who died of what they were there for who had the flu isn't being counted as a flu death.
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

What's out there that is just as dangerous or worse that I am just as likely to catch from breathing it in if I go out to the market today?

Hate to tell you, but if the regular flu made NYC have far over twice the normal daily death rate than without it, the same push to wear masks everywhere would be happening for the flu.
Considering the studies being released showing potentially hundreds of thousands of people having the antibodies to it, thus driving down the true death rate/severity of this, probably a number of things.
Unemployed
AG
CDUB98 said:

HouAggie2007 said:

It is not knowingly incorrect.

It is a high probability assumption, one which, obviously, you disagree with.

If you don't like probabilities based on observation, I sure hope you're just as upset about NYC's added 3,700 cases, because that's exactly what they did as well. No testing, just assumption based on observation.

If it weren't for my wife, I would not make sure a strong statement of probability.

Look, I've got to get back to work. Go argue with 2004. He's up for it.
Don't want to argue but does it anyway.

Such a child.
Texaggie7nine
Why hasn't any number of those things driven daily death rates to well over 2x the normal for weeks then?
7nine
CDUB98
AG
How cute.

If you think that is arguing from me, then you haven't paid attention over the years.
Ag_07
AG
Just stop now while you can.

He's gonna keep moving the goal posts and is gonna continue to be an ass just to be an ass.

It's not worth your time.
aTm2004
AG
They're basing their study off of info from China. Sorry if I take that with a grain of salt.

Quote:

We first translated reports from documents or news reports published daily from the China CDC website and official websites of health commissions across provinces and special municipalities in China during January 1530, 2020. Altogether, we collected 137 individual case reports from China and 3 additional case reports from outside of China
We found R0 is likely to be 5.7 given our current state of knowledge, with a broad 95% CI (3.88.9). Among many factors, the lack of awareness of this new pathogen and the Lunar New Year travel and gathering in early and mid-January 2020 might or might not play a role in the high R0
So, we're not sure if traveling to crowded places played a role or not.
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Why hasn't any number of those things driven daily death rates to well over 2x the normal for weeks then?
Huh? Why haven't the high number of people who have had it driven the daily death rates to well over 2x the normal for weeks then? What are you asking?
Texaggie7nine
Why hasn't any of these other things you claim are supposedly just as dangerous as CV, including the common flu ever created similar daily death rate increases such as in NY?
7nine
aTm2004
AG
Ag_07 said:

Just stop now while you can.

He's gonna keep moving the goal posts and is gonna continue to be an ass just to be an ass.

It's not worth your time.
Is showing you how it's accurate with facts moving the goal posts?

And I haven't strayed from my original comment. A mask is ineffective if you're not willing to do all of the other things necessary to not get the virus.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Bondag said:

no sht. This thread has gone off the rails big time.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The discussion about masks on this thread certainly brought out the Karens that post on this board.

That said, requiring masks outdoors is pointless. Asking people to use common sense rather than threatening them with criminal liability will go significantly further.

If I'm going to be somewhere where close proximity is inevitable (like when I go get groceries or some such) then I put the mask on. If I go for a walk in my neighborhood, no mask. Waste of time.

Some (admittedly conservative) lawyer and doctor filed a TRO against Judge Dora today. Democrat judges on the bench in Harris County might be unlikely to enforce but that one will wind its way up the appellate process quickly I think.
gougler08
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Bondag said:

no sht. This thread has gone off the rails big time.
Yeah this thread sucks now
BowSowy
AG
aTm2004 said:

They're basing their study off of info from China. Sorry if I take that with a grain of salt.

Quote:

We first translated reports from documents or news reports published daily from the China CDC website and official websites of health commissions across provinces and special municipalities in China during January 1530, 2020. Altogether, we collected 137 individual case reports from China and 3 additional case reports from outside of China
We found R0 is likely to be 5.7 given our current state of knowledge, with a broad 95% CI (3.88.9). Among many factors, the lack of awareness of this new pathogen and the Lunar New Year travel and gathering in early and mid-January 2020 might or might not play a role in the high R0
So, we're not sure if traveling to crowded places played a role or not.
I mean, I did also link an NIH study saying the R0 was around 2.3.
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Why hasn't any of these other things you claim are supposedly just as dangerous as CV, including the common flu ever created similar daily death rate increases such as in NY?
That was answered here with Dr. Brix's comments.

Quote:

Responding to a question from a reporter about potential underreporting of novel coronavirus deaths in the nation, Dr. Birx responded: "I think in this country, we are taking a very liberal approach to mortality. And I think the reporting here has been pretty straightforward over the last five to six weeks," she said, adding, "If someone dies with COVID-19, we are counting that."
"With" being the key word. If they die with it, it's counted, regardless of whether or not it was the cause. If she said "of," then it would mean that was the actual cause. Do you think they're going to notate the common flu as the cause of death for a hospice patient given a month or so to live? I don't think so. That's why people are questioning the real death numbers. From what the "experts" are saying, they're being inflated.

Quote:

"COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death," reads CDC guidance issued in March. "Certifiers should include as much detail as possible based on their knowledge of the case, medical records, laboratory testing, etc. If the decedent had other chronic conditions such as COPD or asthma that may have also contributed, these conditions can be reported in Part II."
Is assumed to... Well, I'm assuming the death rate is higher than it really is based on the "experts" telling medical professionals to notate COVID if it is "assumed to" caused or contributed to the death, whether it really did or not.

I'm curious how the recorded deaths of other things looks compared every other year. Are those deaths now lower than on average?
DuncanAg
AG
blindey said:

The discussion about masks on this thread certainly brought out the Karens that post on this board.

That said, requiring masks outdoors is pointless. Asking people to use common sense rather than threatening them with criminal liability will go significantly further.

If I'm going to be somewhere where close proximity is inevitable (like when I go get groceries or some such) then I put the mask on. If I go for a walk in my neighborhood, no mask. Waste of time.

Some (admittedly conservative) lawyer and doctor filed a TRO against Judge Dora today. Democrat judges on the bench in Harris County might be unlikely to enforce but that one will wind its way up the appellate process quickly I think.
Turner came out this afternoon at his press conference and said HPD will not be using citations, rather passing out masks.
TXTransplant
Granted, it's CNN, but if you read past the headline, not all stores are on board with masks.

Even in jurisdictions where masks are mandatory, stores don't want to have to turn people away, and they don't want their employees to have to be the "mask police".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/23/business/grocery-stores-masks-face-coverings-customers/index.html
Texaggie7nine
Forget what the marked "cause of death" is for any of the deaths. That is not important in my question.

SOMETHING caused the daily rate of people dying in NY to more than double itself from the average for weeks. What was it? Car deaths have plummeted, accidents have plummeted.
7nine
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
It's a really weird day when we're looking at Sly Turner as a bastion of common sense.
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Forget what the marked "cause of death" is for any of the deaths. That is not important in my question.

SOMETHING caused the daily rate of people dying in NY to more than double itself from the average for weeks. What was it? Car deaths have plummeted, accidents have plummeted.
Where are you seeing it more than doubled? When I search for it, all I see is COVID, which goes back to my point of people with it being classified as a COVID death even if it wasn't the cause. Again, "with" not "of" being the biggest thing.
aTm2004
AG
Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. Also, his side piece probably doesn't want to wear a mask, so Sly called up his friends at HPOU and worked out something to appease both.
CDUB98
AG
At what point does this become Hidalgo? Seems like everyone is giving her the middle finger.

Texaggie7nine
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/10/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html
7nine
Diggity
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/10/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html
First Page Last Page
Page 103 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.