Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,899 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
dragmagpuff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keegan99 said:

That was and is correct. It's not particularly effective as protection for the wearer.

It is effective to prevent an infected wearer from transmitting the virus.
It should also be noted that the mask won't be perfect. Even N95 masks aren't perfect. It doesn't have to be perfect to help on the macro-scale.

For every X% of virus spreading that masks prevent, we can reduce economic restrictions by the equivalent percent and have no net change in R0.

I view collective mask wearing as another tool in the arsenal to reduce the spread of the virus.
Daddy-O5
AG
ChampagneAg said:

If masks may be effective, and there is no harm to wearing them, doesn't the risk-utility favor wearing a mask?

Not arguing one way or another, I just want to get people's general feelings for why they are choosing to wear or not wear one.
I already mentioned a few in response to your question initially.

• Poorly fitting or uncomfortable homemade masks are likely to result in people touching the face more often
  • Reliance on the masks when the CDC specifically states it's at best a compliment to current social distancing recommendations
  • Actual heath risks cause by bacteria, debris, etc. if the mask is not properly maintained/swapped/cleaned.

Texaggie7nine
When this is all over, I hope someone does a survey on correlation between your stance on mask wearing and staying at home and your stance on sabermetrics and statistics ran teams in sports.
7nine
aTm2004
AG
Be sure to put your mask on before you do it.
aTm2004
AG
Which is all the more reason to question what the experts say. Hell, Fauci has pivoted numerous times.
dragmagpuff
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

ChampagneAg said:

If masks may be effective, and there is no harm to wearing them, doesn't the risk-utility favor wearing a mask?

Not arguing one way or another, I just want to get people's general feelings for why they are choosing to wear or not wear one.

• Poorly fitting or uncomfortable homemade masks are likely to result in people touching the face more often
  • Reliance on the masks when the CDC specifically states it's at best a compliment to current social distancing recommendations
  • Actual heath risks cause by bacteria, debris, etc. if the mask is not properly maintained/swapped/cleaned.

I wouldn't be surprised if like 10% mask wearing is a net negative due to reasons above, but 90% mask wearing is a net positive.

As the chance of a contagious person wearing a mask increases, the less likely they are to be spreading their droplets.
Ag_07
AG
aTm2004 said:

2 months ago...which was my point. It's ineffective. Now, it's effective. It's constantly changing. Also, they said if someone was exhibiting symptoms, not contagious individuals.

Everyone is learning on the fly. Remember this a completely new virus that up until December didn't even exist.

So yeah...Opinions and guidance are gonna change. It's a fluid situation.

Hell docs are still modifying how they're treating it.
Onceaggie2.0
Hilarious if masks are so important why until Monday!?
Texaggie7nine
FPS_Dough said:

I would imagine that is when they expected Abbott to start opening things back up statewide. Plus if you are going to idiotically threaten $1k fines, you can at least give people some time to try to find some or make some with their socks.
7nine
schmellba99
AG
RK said:

schmellba99 said:

RK said:

the gov't feels the need to overreach on a consistent basis because people are too dumb, in general, to act rationally and responsibly. i don't see either of those things changing anytime soon.
Overreach and mandates from a government that is dumber than the genpop doesn't help or solve problems, it only compounds them and makes it easier to erode what little freedoms we have left.

But carry their water like a good soldier, I guess. Or something.

I wasn't saying I agree with it, just pointing out why. Are you ever not looking for a nit picky fight?
When it comes to stupid statements on a message board during a quarantine? No, always looking. Because I"m bored.

HTMFH. Dont' say stupid stuff, won't be a nitpicky fight.
Daddy-O5
AG
dragmagpuff said:

J.D. c/o 05 said:

ChampagneAg said:

I wouldn't be surprised if like 10% mask wearing is a net negative due to reasons above, but 90% mask wearing is a net positive.

As the chance of a contagious person wearing a mask increases, the less likely they are to be spreading their droplets.
While your speculation isn't illogical, we still can't actually confirm any of it. Right now we can state factually the following:

• CDC recommends the masks as a secondary precaution
  • There's no scientific consensus of how effective the masks are (especially considering the extremely loose guidelines of what constitutes a mask)
  • There's plausible pros and cons to both.
  • We also know that current social distancing recommendations have been working to date.

None of this adds up to any specific conclusion to me except that you should make your own decision based on your own circumstances, while keeping in mind the CDC's recommendation that it is NOT a replacement for previous recommendations already in place. This isn't an "anti-mask" opinion, it's an "anti-mandatory mask" opinion.
Daddy-O5
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

FPS_Dough said:

I would imagine that is when they expected Abbott to start opening things back up statewide. Plus if you are going to idiotically threaten $1k fines, you can at least give people some time to try to find some or make some with their socks.
That should take a couple of days tops, especially considering the extremely loose guidelines of what constitutes a mask.. The fact remains, if this was such an urgent requirement that supported a mandate, it wouldn't be OK to wait 4-5 days to attempt to enforce. We can all agree that 4-5 days is a very long time (good or bad) when it comes to the disease.
Texaggie7nine
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

FPS_Dough said:

That should take a couple of days tops, especially considering the extremely loose guidelines of what constitutes a mask.. The fact remains, if this was such an urgent requirement that supported a mandate, it wouldn't be OK to wait 4-5 days to attempt to enforce. We can all agree that 4-5 days is a very long time (good or bad) when it comes to the disease.
What can I tell you, government likes to implement new rules at the beginning of the week.
7nine
Daddy-O5
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

J.D. c/o 05 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

FPS_Dough said:

What can I tell you, government likes to implement new rules at the beginning of the week.
Then hold the press conference LAST Monday and let's just get this over with. Top Urgent!!!!
aTm2004
AG
The effects of the virus, yes, we're still learning. But how to prevent spread isn't different from other viruses or the common flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm
Ag_07
AG
I'm not an expert but I don't think that's accurate.

People don't disinfect their mail, grocery stores don't install sneeze guards for checkers, and we don't social distance during flu season.

My point was it's ignorant to say 'WTF just 2 months ago they said XXX'.
TarponChaser
Texaggie7nine said:

When this is all over, I hope someone does a survey on correlation between your stance on mask wearing and staying at home and your stance on sabermetrics and statistics ran teams in sports.

There's definite weaknesses in analytics and sabermetrics in baseball.

Two of my biggest beefs are the positions sabermetrics takes towards hitting vs. the shift and playing station-to-station offense. The Washington Nationals just beat the Astros in the World Series by having even an awesome offensive talent like Anthony Rendon practice small ball and hit against the shift by playing for singles vs. sitting on the long ball. The Nats consistently went with going for base hits against the shift, stealing bases, and manufacturing runs vs. trying to put up a crooked number every inning and it worked out.

We don't see enough these days of teams doing it to run a decent data comparison.

But, there's no way you can convince me that guys like Josh Reddick wouldn't be better off by trying to get base hits to the opposite field than trying to pull for power. Even guys like George Springer and Carlos Correa who have power to all fields strike out way too much swinging for the big hit instead of changing their approach at times, especially when they've got RISP and 2 strikes.
TarponChaser
Ag_07 said:

People don't disinfect their mail, grocery stores don't install sneeze guards for checkers, and we don't social distance during flu season.

I can't speak for everywhere but the HEB in my hood has plexiglass sneez guards up at all the checkout lines.

But, then it could just be because HEB is pretty awesome as a rule and we'd all be better off in getting through this thing if the people who run HEB (and Chick-fil-A) were in charge of testing and getting things up and running again.
FHKChE07
AG
Just because people do it doesn't mean it is a good idea. The FDA had to come out and say that people didn't need to disinfect their cardboard boxes of food because people are having quarantine boxes to make sure that they don't catch the corona from their groceries. There is a lot of fear driving a lot of things in the same way that most TSA checks is just security theater, a lot of the precautions being set up right now are likely to be looked back upon as virus theater.
CDUB98
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

CDUB98 said:

Reasons for my belief that I am not sick:

1) Zero symptoms

2) Even if I were asymptomatic, there's a 99.9% chance my wife would not be, and thus be sick as dig****e. She has not been.

I don't care to argue with any of you on this. So, don't bother. I was asked, and I answered.

Seriously straight **** off

Just now getting back to TA.

Well, aren't you just a peachy little person. I'm guessing you're probably one of the bed wetters that also wants to keep everyone locked up until next year when we hopefully have a vaccine.
aTm2004
AG
Ag_07 said:

What's not accurate? That this thing is spreading like other viruses? I'm simply amazed by how logic is thrown out the window with people because of fear. This isn't some supervirus that is spreading in odd ways. It's spreading in much the same ways as others. The only reason sneeze guards are put up at grocery stores is to give the people who decided to panic because of the fear hype the media has been feeding them some sense of security, no matter how effective it is. If there weren't "experts" (<cough>political hacks</cough>) on TV predicting millions of people dying because of this in an attempt to spread fear, we'd be living a normal life right now.

I'm not a doc, but I know some post on here. Maybe they can chime in and say "normal viruses are spread by A, B, and C, but this virus isn't spreading like that. It's spreading by X, Y, and Z." If there's proof this thing isn't spreading like other viruses, then I'll admit I'm wrong, but based on the CDC, it's not.

CDC: How Coronavirus spreads
Quote:

Person-to-person spread
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
  • Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
  • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks.
  • These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
  • Some recent studies have suggested that COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms.

Spread from contact with contaminated surfaces or objects
It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus.
Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub. Also, routinely clean frequently touched surfaces.
[url=https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/spread/index.html][/url]
CDC: How Infections Spread
Quote:

Transmission refers to the way germs are moved to the susceptible person.
Germs don't move themselves. Germs depend on people, the environment, and/or medical equipment to move in healthcare settings.
There are a few general ways that germs travel in healthcare settings through contact (i.e., touching), sprays and splashes, inhalation, and sharps injuries (i.e., when someone is accidentally stuck with a used needle or sharp instrument).
  • Contact moves germs by touch (example: MRSA or VRE). For example, healthcare provider hands become contaminated by touching germs present on medical equipment or high touch surfaces and then carry the germs on their hands and spread to a susceptible person when proper hand hygiene is not performed before touching the susceptible person.
  • Sprays and splashes occur when an infected person coughs or sneezes, creating droplets which carry germs short distances (within approximately 6 feet). These germs can land on a susceptible person's eyes, nose, or mouth and can cause infection (example: pertussis or meningitis).
    • Close range inhalation occurs when a droplet containing germs is small enough to breathe in but not durable over distance.
  • Inhalation occurs when germs are aerosolized in tiny particles that survive on air currents over great distances and time and reach a susceptible person. Airborne transmission can occur when infected patients cough, talk, or sneeze germs into the air (example: TB or measles), or when germs are aerosolized by medical equipment or by dust from a construction zone (example: Nontuberculous mycobacteria or aspergillus).

How Flu Spreads
Quote:

Person to Person

People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu viruses spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

Sure do see a trend there...
cajunaggie08
AG
all those quotes seem to justify that wearing a mask to reduce the spread of infected person water/spit droplets is a good idea.
Texaggie7nine
He seems to be doing that a lot of this thread.
7nine
HouAggie2007
Yeah nice strawman. I am 100% for a smart reopening taking various protections. Which has zero to do with your idiotic statement about how you know when you are sick.
aTm2004
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

all those quotes seem to justify that wearing a mask to reduce the spread of infected person water/spit droplets is a good idea.
Or just practice the same hygiene procedures we always have and go about our lives, because let's be honest, you're not going to wear a mask everywhere you go for the rest of your life. But hey, be fearful of this and do what makes you feel a little bit safer, even if the experts can't agree on whether or not a mask is effective or not, because depending on who you ask and when, that answer will change.
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

What? Pointing out the complete loss of logical thinking because of fear and how what we should be doing changes like the effing wind? That's exactly what this is.
Post removed:
by user
CDUB98
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

Yeah nice strawman. I am 100% for a smart reopening taking various protections. Which has zero to do with your idiotic statement about how you know when you are sick.

I'm sure you know much more about my health than I do.
RK
AG
schmellba99 said:

RK said:

schmellba99 said:

RK said:

the gov't feels the need to overreach on a consistent basis because people are too dumb, in general, to act rationally and responsibly. i don't see either of those things changing anytime soon.
Overreach and mandates from a government that is dumber than the genpop doesn't help or solve problems, it only compounds them and makes it easier to erode what little freedoms we have left.

But carry their water like a good soldier, I guess. Or something.

I wasn't saying I agree with it, just pointing out why. Are you ever not looking for a nit picky fight?
When it comes to stupid statements on a message board during a quarantine? No, always looking. Because I"m bored.

HTMFH. Dont' say stupid stuff, won't be a nitpicky fight.
is a post stupid because it's misinterpreted? or is the person who misinterprets it stupid? asking for another poster.
aTm2004
AG
It's not pointless if they reach into their pocket to grab that tiny bottle of smell good hand sanitizer from Bed Bath & Beyond to coat their hands in it before touching the shopping cart or feeling multiple different fruits/veggies to find the one they want. But we all know they won't/don't. Damn your logic!
Texaggie7nine
aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

What? Pointing out the complete loss of logical thinking because of fear and how what we should be doing changes like the effing wind? That's exactly what this is.
Well logical thinking says less water droplets flying out of your mouth into the air is going to result in less virus load available for others to breath in or fall onto surfaces.
7nine
HouAggie2007
I know very little about your health but I know that the majority of people with covid are asymptomatic. Which means there is no way you would know if you have it. I used to think at least you weren't a total moron but now I'm far less sure
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Well logical thinking says less water droplets flying out of your mouth into the air is going to result in less virus load available for others to breath in or fall onto surfaces.
Less =/= none, so unless you're doing everything else to protect yourself (wiping down items on the store shelves before touching, sanitizing yourself before getting into your car or walking into your house, you're not really doing much. Also, Leslie with her cowgirl bandanna over her mouth with the bottom flapping around like her saggy up-tops isn't stopping anything when she coughs up a lung from 37 years of 2 packs a day.
Texaggie7nine
aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Less =/= none, so unless you're doing everything else to protect yourself (wiping down items on the store shelves before touching, sanitizing yourself before getting into your car or walking into your house, you're not really doing much. Also, Leslie with her cowgirl bandanna over her mouth with the bottom flapping around like her saggy up-tops isn't stopping anything when she coughs up a lung from 37 years of 2 packs a day.
More logical thinking

When something is bad

none of it is best while less of it is better than more.
7nine
CDUB98
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

I know very little about your health but I know that the majority of people with covid are asymptomatic. Which means there is no way you would know if you have it. I used to think at least you weren't a total moron but now I'm far less sure

I guess you didn't get to point number two in your hurry to tell me to **** off.

I also know my wife's heath, and you do not.

But, do please go on. It's amusing watching your jimmies get so rustled.
First Page Last Page
Page 102 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.