Houston
Sponsored by

Spring Branch

140,913 Views | 821 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by TriAg2010
Charlie Murphy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Noticing a lot of condos popping up around the hammerly and blalock area. Wondering what peoples thoughts are of this area going forward.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
drumboy
AG
We thought about buying a patio home/townhouse in this development (Lakeshore I think) 9 years ago.

https://www.har.com/8904-lakeshore-bend-drive/sale_13611675

Decided at the time that it took forever to get anywhere so we bought in Timbergrove. Still not much around there in terms of real grocery stores but at last there are a couple bars (Cobble Spoke, Might as Well Lounge and Boozenasium, and The Branch).
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Ag_07
AG
drumboy said:

Still not much around there in terms of real grocery stores

There's a Kroger at Gessner and Hammerly, HEB at Kempwood and Gessner, big fancy HEB and COSTCO at Bunker Hill and I-10, and nice Kroger at Blaylock and I-10. Grocery stores aren't a problem for SB

Bars are a bit of a different story although now there's City Center. Plus we feel like we're close enough to Heights or even downtown to Uber to get to bars.

SB is rough around the edges. There lots of Mezcuns and Asians and it's not the most eye appealing neighborhood in the city. However, that's changing as new homes are being built everywhere. Our neighborhood is quite and laid back and we've no issues whatsoever with crime or even suspicious people or petty crime.

We feel it's not close into the city like OF, but it's close enough to get there if need be and it's way cheaper. Nice mix between inner city living and suburban life. We bought in SB 5 years ago and our home value has increased steadily. We enjoy it.
vansprinkle
AG
Ag_07 said:

drumboy said:

Still not much around there in terms of real grocery stores

There's a Kroger at Gessner and Hammerly, HEB at Kempwood and Gessner, big fancy HEB and COSTCO at Bunker Hill and I-10, and nice Kroger at Blaylock and I-10. Grocery stores aren't a problem for SB

Bars are a bit of a different story although now there's City Center. Plus we feel like we're close enough to Heights or even downtown to Uber to get to bars.

SB is rough around the edges. There lots of Mezcuns and Asians and it's not the most eye appealing neighborhood in the city. However, that's changing as new homes are being built everywhere. Our neighborhood is quite and laid back and we've no issues whatsoever with crime or even suspicious people or petty crime.

We feel it's not close into the city like OF, but it's close enough to get there if need be and it's way cheaper. Nice mix between inner city living and suburban life. We bought in SB 5 years ago and our home value has increased steadily. We enjoy it.

You forgot to mention Super H Mart and Ranch 99. Also supposedly building a Whole Foods in the area. I just moved from there and there were literally 5 grocery stores within a mile of me.

4J Brewing is in SB also. Not sure how they are doing as it took them forever to actually open the doors, but when I checked it out preopening, their beers were great.

Uber's to town are cheap enough, and the commute isn't bad. Close to Beltway so getting out of town is easy no matter which direction you need to go (well, maybe other than east).

We lived there for 6 years and the value of our home increased by about 75%. Was able to put down a good sum on a House way out in the burbs that's more than double the size and put almost 6 figures in the bank.
Aggie1205
AG
Now we wait for UndergroundAg to chime in and talk about how SB is the worst part of town.........
AggieLong
AG
About to move to SB from the Heights. Love where I am now, but need more space and can't get that affordably in the Heights.
E
AG
Really thinking of going to SB myself! My little home in shepard forest is becoming too much maintenance and not enough space and theres a new townhome complex that I like out there.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
there is about to be a lot of development on Longpoint, including bars from the popular business groups in the heights, montrose and midtown bar scene. Once 290 gets built and the NW mall is tore down, SB is going to explode in popularity.
Ag_07
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

NW mall is tore down

Well where the hell am I supposed to get my antiques?

Seriously though...When is this happening?
E
AG
Good to hear about longpoint! Is there any press releases on this stuff?

Might make my decision to move to Spring Branch a little easier
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Found two good ones

https://houston.eater.com/2018/6/7/17438826/cobble-spoke-spring-branch

found this though.

Quote:

HOUSTON, June 13, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- The Marq'E Entertainment Center, known to Houstonians as 'The Marq'E', is bolstering its unique tenant mix by adding new tenants to its roster of Food, Entertainment, and Retail offering. The upcoming tenants are Hugh O'Connors Irish Bar & Restaurant and Soccer Hub, a state-of-the-art soccer training facility. These new additions are joining recently opened Dolce & Cafe and Maine-ly Sandwiches.

With these new additions, The Marq'E will offer an even wider array of food options for the Spring Branch area, including popular local franchise, Maine-ly Sandwiches. They are renowned for their lobster rolls and authentic Maine fare. Their fun, nautical decor and unique take on classic New England dishes are perfectly in line with the Shopping Center's character.

Dolce & Cafe, an original concept and newcomer in the Spring Branch and Greater Houston area, is a casual, counter service French-Italian caf. Their food items consist of gourmet coffee & teas, salads, pastries, sandwiches and crpes, as well as healthy options that are vegetarian-friendly.
Hugh O'Connors, also a fresh locale in the Houston pub & food-scene, is an Irish Pub & Restaurant that will serve both traditional American and Irish food. It's an especially attractive dining option following a movie-night at The Marq'E.

Soccer Hub, an indoor trainingfacility for youth interested in playing or learning about soccer, is also unique to Houston. It contains a FIFA-approved surface created to maximize a player's training and competitive play.

Cyp0111
Development has to go somewhere, however, longpoint seems like a ways off.
StEdsCOOG
I moved to Spring Branch from Sugar Land in December and I love it. Quick access to I-10 and the Beltway is fantastic. And FYI, I saw JJ Watt at the Bunkerhill HEB Saturday night.
vansprinkle
AG
StEdsCOOG said:

I moved to Spring Branch from Sugar Land in December and I love it. Quick access to I-10 and the Beltway is fantastic. And FYI, I saw JJ Watt at the Bunkerhill HEB Saturday night.

Probably lives in Memorial, not SB.

Saw Roidger Clemens at Lowe's one day.
Charlie Murphy
There are some warehouses at Longpoint and Hempstead that would not surprise me to see turn out like the ones down off of Washington and Sawyer.
Cyp0111
I just think that area has such an incredibly long ways to go. The apartment complexes alone around longpoint etc. will be hard to force out. We will see.
Charlie Murphy
Cyp0111 said:

I just think that area has such an incredibly long ways to go. The apartment complexes alone around longpoint etc. will be hard to force out. We will see.
Definitely not doubting the time frame. I'm just curious to see when you see the masses stop moving North(Garden Oaks), and make the jump across 610.
Ag_07
AG
The apartment complexes will be an issue. That'll be interesting to see how that works itself out.

I think the good news is that SB is bordered to the east by Oak Forest and to the south by Memorial and Spring Valley so progress is coming from multiple directions. Gessner has been redone is already showing improvements. There's some new builds going up along Bingle that are zoned to Memorial. Some pockets along Hammerly are improving. The big development at Clay/Gessner (where the old Pinecrest was) is going to be really nice.

I think the location of SB is what is a big draw. Close enough to Heights, downtown, etc and also close enough to the Energy Corridor that knocks out a long commute if you're working there. Easy access to 290, BW8, and I-10.

Again, it's a nice compromise between ITL and suburb. I was skeptical when we moved in 5 years ago but I've been really pleased and the increased value since then is certainly nice to see.
Ag_07
AG
Garden Oaks is north of 610

Like I said above I think folks who can't get into OF will move west and people who can't get into Spring Valley/Memorial will move north.

Both of which are already happening.
spadilly
S
What happened with the new homes they were building on Gessner near Kempwood? Did they run out of money? I haven't seen anyone out the working for weeks.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah that ones been weird. I don't think they ran out of money I think they didn't get the sales they were expecting so they stopped.

Odd because they're blowing and going at the Pinecrest development and InTown is finally building at the lot they've kept vacant for years on Kempwood just west of Gessner.
Charlie Murphy
Ag_07 said:

Garden Oaks is north of 610

Like I said above I think folks who can't get into OF will move west and people who can't get into Spring Valley/Memorial will move north.

Both of which are already happening.
I understand Garden Oaks is north of 610, I am talking about west of 610.
Cyp0111
Garden Oaks/Oakforest will stop development at Pinemont. I say that area has 5-7 year before people are priced out similar to the heights.
Diggity
AG
My only issue with Spring Branch is that it didn't feel very cohesive. Just a hodgepodge of different neighborhoods with commercial and multi-family thrown in there.

If they can improve a couple of the elementary schools, that would help a lot. I don't see a lot of the people that are priced out of Oak Forest turning around and dropping $10-$20K on private school.
E
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah that ones been weird. I don't think they ran out of money I think they didn't get the sales they were expecting so they stopped.

Odd because they're blowing and going at the Pinecrest development and InTown is finally building at the lot they've kept vacant for years on Kempwood just west of Gessner.
The ones at Gessner and Kempwood where there are just a couple homes that have been sitting a while are KB Homes, and I believe their issue was they are not currently above the new floodplain restricions (Post-Harvey?). I could be full of it and they probably just ran out of money.

The Pinecrest golf course one is Spring Brook Village and they are moving along real nicely. I personally know alot of the people there and am thinking of moving there myself. I'm also a realtor so if anyone wanted to go check their new community let me know!
UndergroundAg
Aggie1205 said:

Now we wait for UndergroundAg to chime in and talk about how SB is the worst part of town.........

https://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Gunman-at-large-after-Spring-Branch-West-shooting-13093862.php
StEdsCOOG
UndergroundAg said:

Aggie1205 said:

https://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Gunman-at-large-after-Spring-Branch-West-shooting-13093862.php
Not random so it doesn't count.
94chem
Spring Branch would have likely priced people out a lot sooner, but maybe it wasn't white enough for a lot of people. This changes once people realize that location is more important than the skin color of the neighbors. You can't judge a school system by racial demographics either. Definitely looks like an overdue up and coming spot.
Scientific
AG
I want to meet these consultants who get paid to pitch the centralized walk-able urban style of living for the area. They're betting and lobbying for that bullet train to get built.

https://myspringbranch.org/the-future-of-long-point-road-reimagined-concepts/
drumboy
AG
94chem said:

You can't judge a school system by racial demographics either.

Gasp!!! [clutches pearls]
Ezra Brooks
AG
Diggity said:

My only issue with Spring Branch is that it didn't feel very cohesive. Just a hodgepodge of different neighborhoods with commercial and multi-family thrown in there.
So, it's Houston?
E
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

Diggity said:

So, it's Houston?

This. It's basically Heights Part 2
Diggity
AG
Not really. Areas like Oak Forest and Westbury are much more cohesive.

The fact that people just refer to it as "Spring Branch" rather than by the actual neighborhood names speaks volumes.

The location is good but it just wasn't for me.
Ag_07
AG
Diggity said:

Not really. Areas like Oak Forest and Westbury are much more cohesive.

They weren't always though. Maybe Westbury was but OF wasn't always like that.

I do agree that SB is a bit jumbled

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.