Houston
Sponsored by

James Coney Island

18,318 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ATM9000
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just think the phrase "very, very active eater in the Houston restaurant scene" is one of the most neckbeard things I've ever seen. If this is all an elaborate troll, bravo. Beautifully executed.
DiskoTroop
BowSowy said:

I just think the phrase "very, very active eater in the Houston restaurant scene" is one of the most neckbeard things I've ever seen. If this is all an elaborate troll, bravo. Beautifully executed.

I'll give you that... I guess out of context it certainly appears very neckbeardy here. Considering the conversation the pres and I had I don't feel it was unwarranted in communication with him.
MAS444
AG
...it's a friggin fast food hot dog joint!
RK
AG
clearly the president has never invited you to dine with him.
schmendeler
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

BowSowy said:

I'll give you that... I guess out of context it certainly appears very neckbeardy here. Considering the conversation the pres and I had I don't feel it was unwarranted in communication with him.

Don't let the Philistines get you down
BohunkAg
AG
RK said:

clearly the president has never invited you to dine with him.
Does it count if the President of a one location food truck has invited me to dine with him?
DiskoTroop
schmendeler said:

Don't let the Philistines get you down

Effin Peasants!!!
MAROON
AG
MathNewman06 said:

active eating today.

this brings a tear to my eyes. Looks like many a late night Friday or Saturday meal for me in the late 80's after boozing all day at Sam's Place
MathNewman06
AG
Except this time it was a rushed lunch with the wife before picking up the kid from daycare. Different kind of hangover this afternoon than the ones we had from the late night coney runs.
redag06
Doubt you have Delaware punch at home!

Used to be able to find them occasionally at the grocery store but that has been years!
BohunkAg
AG
MathNewman06 said:

Except this time it was a rushed lunch with the wife before picking up the kid from daycare. Different kind of hangover this afternoon than the ones we had from the late night coney runs.
Bet you still had the same sh-ts afterward.
MathNewman06
AG
Indeed. The post-coney run coney runs.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
sts7049
AG
http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/05-24-18-whats-eric-eating-podcast-darrin-straughan-jci-james-coney-island/#slide=0
schmendeler
AG
they are debuting a CFS Hot Dog

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/James-Coney-Island-rolls-out-a-chicken-fried-hot-13171267.php

BohunkAg
AG
Dammit
Zemira
AG
aggiez03 said:

aggiepublius said:

And when there was one across from TAMU in the early 90's, people from Dallas just didn't get it. They looked at Houston folks like - it's just a hot dog and had no interest.
Not growing up in Houston and then moving here out of college, this whole thread is bizarre to me.

1) Someone likes hotdogs enough to reach out to the President of the company. Who does that?

2) The President of a company agrees to meet with the person to discuss company strategy. What President does that?

3) There are apparently a bunch of you that are nostalgic for a hot dog restaurant.

4) Hot Dog restaurant apparently thinks they can get $10+ for a lunch combo...

I ate there one time with my FIL and BIL (both Houstonians) at one off 1960 somewhere like 15 years ago. I am pretty sure Sonic makes a better hot dog, not that I have bought one there. But the hot dog was alright, chili was probably about like Wolf Brand quality. Never went back, haven't missed it...

Do you guys miss Steak and Ale & Sizzler as well?

I loved Steak and Ale. They always had a decently priced lunch menu and the salad bar was awesome! Last time I checked the one I frequented way now an adult entertainment place.

Mentioning Steak and Ale makes me sad. I got the chicken about half the time too.
DiskoTroop
schmendeler said:

they are debuting a CFS Hot Dog

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/James-Coney-Island-rolls-out-a-chicken-fried-hot-13171267.php

Now look, chicken fried steak dog isn't a bad idea... chicken fried hotdog though.... not so sure. But you take something along the lines of a DQ steak finger and slap it in a hotdog bun with jalapeos, a little mustard and some gravy? Hell rah I like where that's going.
sts7049
AG
I'm curious enough to try it
JSKolache
AG
Zemira said:

aggiez03 said:

aggiepublius said:

And when there was one across from TAMU in the early 90's, people from Dallas just didn't get it. They looked at Houston folks like - it's just a hot dog and had no interest.
Not growing up in Houston and then moving here out of college, this whole thread is bizarre to me.

1) Someone likes hotdogs enough to reach out to the President of the company. Who does that?

2) The President of a company agrees to meet with the person to discuss company strategy. What President does that?

3) There are apparently a bunch of you that are nostalgic for a hot dog restaurant.

4) Hot Dog restaurant apparently thinks they can get $10+ for a lunch combo...

I ate there one time with my FIL and BIL (both Houstonians) at one off 1960 somewhere like 15 years ago. I am pretty sure Sonic makes a better hot dog, not that I have bought one there. But the hot dog was alright, chili was probably about like Wolf Brand quality. Never went back, haven't missed it...

Do you guys miss Steak and Ale & Sizzler as well?

I loved Steak and Ale. They always had a decently priced lunch menu and the salad bar was awesome! Last time I checked the one I frequented way now an adult entertainment place.

Mentioning Steak and Ale makes me sad. I got the chicken about half the time too.
59 and BW8 holla
big ben
AG
Random, but everytime I have a bad day or think life is going to s- , I read this bookmarked thread and I go for a skate, enjoy the breeze, and thank God I didnt't take an afternoon to discuss effing hot dogs.

I seriously cannot fathom what these VPs and CEO were thinking talking to Nedrey from Jurassic Park.
Sea Speed
AG
Just for clarification, we talking Rollerblades or skateboards here? Not sure one of those gives you much room to be judgmental.
BarryProfit
Sea Speed said:

Just for clarification, we talking Rollerblades or skateboards here? Not sure one of those gives you much room to be judgmental.

POTW
DiskoTroop
big ben said:

I go for a skate

Take your judgmental gay rodeo slang and git.
big ben
AG
Ice rink, I play ice hockey in a league
DiskoTroop
Your new name is Big Ben Eh?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
big ben said:

Settle down Johnny Weir. We all believe you are hockeying and not ice dancing.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
and not a part of the gay rodeo circuit.
big ben
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

big ben said:

Settle down Johnny Weir. We all believe you are hockeying and not ice dancing.

Who is Johnny Weir?
ATM9000
AG
Entertaining read. It takes a special kind of confidence to think eating a lot, following recipes on YouTube, and loose knowledge of fast food product trends gives a person the sort of insight to give a company board of director level advice on company strategy let alone makes somebody a 'Houston foodie'. I mean it when I say the bigger part of me admires the OP for the moxy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.