Houston
Sponsored by

James Coney Island

18,310 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ATM9000
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think any real Tine resident knows JCI jumped the shark some years back when they changed their menu around and eliminated the fabled Houstonian* Combo. They only cemented their role as yet another fast food joint when they rolled out this JCI Grill nonsense.

My question is this... when did we notice the change?

I first noticed a lack of a steamed bun and more general suckness around 2004-2005.

Anyone else have a bead on when it might have happened and what they noticed changed quality wise?

I commented on one JCI's posts on Facebook and the president of JCI decided to chime in. I want to provide the man with real feedback here, while the Tine board has the man's ear!!!
Ag_07
AG
Facebook huh? Well that's not the JCI president that's a Russian hacker.
Jock 07
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

I think any real Tine resident knows JCI jumped the shark some years back when they changed their menu around and eliminated the fabled Walker Street Combo.

WTF, Walker street? Pretty sure real Tine residents know that it was the Houstonian.
Boo Weekley
Tillman prob bought it
Jock 07
AG
And the westheimer location was still steaming buns until they took the line out a few years ago
Ags #1
AG
One on Shepard steams buns and still has the walker street
jetch17
AG
Mayyyyne it's sad to say I gave up on it years ago. Might have to go get the chorros for old time sake (sh*tty or not) one day soon
DiskoTroop
Jock 07 said:

phideaux_2003 said:

I think any real Tine resident knows JCI jumped the shark some years back when they changed their menu around and eliminated the fabled Walker Street Combo.

WTF, Walker street? Pretty sure real Tine residents know that it was the Houstonian.

See what they've done? I have been brain washed...
MathNewman06
AG
What's the status on cheese hoses? I imagine they went out with the rebranding?
lexofer
AG
Tried it last month for the first time in years. A patty melt, medium fries and drink were over $13. Ridiculous prices for very average fast food.
Jock 07
AG
why the hell would you get a patty melt at James Coney Island in the first place?
schmendeler
AG
The hot dogs at Costco are better and cheaper
CW Griswold
Delaware Punch. It's not just something done upstairs at Treasures.
DiskoTroop
This explains so much about the state of JCI...

DiskoTroop
Kettle - When's the last time you went in a Kettle restaurant? This is the place with the "Masterburger" on the menu? WhoTF came up with that name? Talk about the ultimate in greasy spoon type joints. Worse than Waffle House if you ask me.

Texas Tumbleweed? Dead. Long gone.

And started out at Arthur Anderson... Hmmmm. This guy...
I Am A Critic
OP is trying a little too hard to be the Tine board quasi-hipster food critic. Tone it down a little. JCI is different now. We get it. Find a new place and move on.
TXAG 05
AG
lexofer said:

Tried it last month for the first time in years. A patty melt, medium fries and drink were over $13. Ridiculous prices for very average fast food.

That's what you get for not ordering a chili cheese dog at a chili cheese dog place.
htownag99
AG
lexofer
AG
Jock 07 said:

why the hell would you get a patty melt at James Coney Island in the first place?

They rebranded as JCI Grill years ago and changed their focus to gourmet dogs and burgers. A meal with most of the dogs on the menu will cost you more than $10. They don't do combo deals from what I've seen. You're stuck adding $2 for regular fries and $2 for a coke to anything you get.

That'd be my main comment to tell their management. Add combo deals to the menu.
chimpanzee
Haven't been in years, not because of any change in the menu or approach, but because I am no longer a 17 year-old nutritional agnostic trying to gain weight. I could eat 4 chili cheese dogs plus fries and not even feel bad afterwards. That's like a quart of semi-liquid stuff that congealed to a solid once it achieved body temperature in my gut.
agnerd
AG
I liked the old 50's diner theme they used to have in their restaurants. And I want a regular hot dog or chili dog from them. Don't need all the extras and don't want to pay for it. When I get fast food, I want good value and quick service. Stopped going around the time they switched to JCI.
Texaggie7nine
chimpanzee said:

Haven't been in years, not because of any change in the menu or approach, but because I am no longer a 17 year-old nutritional agnostic trying to gain weight. I could eat 4 chili cheese dogs plus fries and not even feel bad afterwards. That's like a quart of semi-liquid stuff that congealed to a solid once it achieved body temperature in my gut.
You trying to tell me a Houstonian doesn't encapsulate all the food groups so long as you get a grape soda???
7nine
Astrobo
AG
We quit going several years ago. Poor quality, way over priced. Fries had no taste. If you go to the store and buy hot dogs, buns, chili, cheese and fries you could buy enough to feed a family for the price of one meal at JCI. And it would damn sure taste better.

We only have a few restaurants around my work including a JCI. JCI does not even get suggested when everyone is sick of our normal lunch rotation.
chimpanzee
Texaggie7nine said:

chimpanzee said:

You trying to tell me a Houstonian doesn't encapsulate all the food groups so long as you get a grape soda???
I'm just saying I wasn't really bothered by the consequences of what I consumed back then.

Delaware Punch is a fruit. Pretty sure. I'd go for ketchup, but letting the chili and cheese ooze on to the fries was a far superior experience.
drumboy
AG
Their site shows a "Legacy Menu" with plain coneys and a Walker St Special. I'm getting hungry.

http://www.jamesconeyisland.com/menus/legacy
selk
AG
Love James Coney Island! Get 2 corn dogs and a Frito pie every time I'm in Houston!
Liquid Wrench
Do you guys have any thoughts on the prices at Ragin Cajun?
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Not reading this thread yet cuz I'm hamm'ed on El T margs. But I'll have some hot takes about JCI. Got a ST A block party to attend.
DiskoTroop
Update... I've been invited to give formal feedback to the president of JCI next week. Meeting at a location to have lunch. Will update before and after.
MarylandAG
The Delaware Punch is greatness, I'm old enough to remember buying that stuff in a can. I like JCI, the Frito pie is great. However, I'm going to get hammered I know it , Houston needs a Weinerschnizel! Chilli cheese dog with grated cheese not the slice of cheese and chili cheese fries! Greatness!
ccolley68
AG
MarylandAG said:

The Delaware Punch is greatness, I'm old enough to remember buying that stuff in a can. I like JCI, the Frito pie is great. However, I'm going to get hammered I know it , Houston needs a Weinerschnizel! Chilli cheese dog with grated cheese not the slice of cheese and chili cheese fries! Greatness!

Why don't you just offer up Skyline Chili while you're at it there yankee City boy?!?!
lil99chris
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

Update... I've been invited to give formal feedback to the president of JCI next week. Meeting at a location to have lunch. Will update before and after.

Be sure to tell him there is an entire crew on Texags that can provide plenty of feedback.
MarylandAG
ccolley, I'll actually not a Yankee, born and raised in South Texas, the username came about because I lived in Maryland for a few years for work. I couldn't get back to TX fast enough. I get it you don't like Weinerschnizel, no harm no foul!
W
AG
miss the old Walker Street location downtown.

that was JCI at its finest back in the day
blinnboy83
The outcry over the name change from the Houstonian to the Walker St is hilarious. It's the same thing! And yeah, it's not as good as it used to be and it costs a lot more. What sucks for them about the bad decisions they've made which have driven away old customers, is that the gourmet dogs are actually really good. Like, on par or better than places like Good Dog Hot Dog or Happy Fatz (rip) IMO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.