Houston
Sponsored by

United airlines drags doctor off overbooked flight

13,918 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wessimo
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
chiken said:

104.7 was reporting that in the terms and agreement when purchasing a ticket, a passenger agrees to being removed from a flight if the seats are needed by crew. So, United was well within their rights to remove passengers for staff.

Still pretty crappy and ol' Asian dude didn't handle it very well, but there it is.
This, he won't be getting much, if anything. Maybe something from the PD for bloodying him up, but I doubt United will pay out anything
schmellba99
AG
Just saw this morning that United's stock is down by 5% and that they are projected to lose as much as $1B in market share because of this incident.

Yeah, I'd say chartering a new flight or any of the other alternatives posted would have been a metric crap ton cheaper than the dumbass option they chose.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Got to stand up for that sacred part of the Constitution that states that I must never be inconvenienced at all for any reason.
Ironic, considering your hate for cyclists.*

*Critical Mass excluded. **** those guys.
gougler08
AG
Ag83 said:

themissinglink said:

Ag83 said:

sushi94 said:

Who actually physically removed the man? Was it United Security? is there such a thing? Airport Security at United's request? TSA? Whoever made the decision to physically remove the man is in trouble in my opinion.

Apparently the police. One thing's for sure, as badly as United handled this, when the police show up and tell you too get off, you'd best do it. No chance he was going to win that battle.
I generally agree with you, but If I'm a doctor and taking a later flight could mean the death of a patient, I might refuse. I'm sure the doctor "needing to see patients" angle is played up on this incident, but United playing the "it's in our policy" card is not going to save face.
You can [try to] refuse all you want, but the police are not just going to say "ok" and walk away. They are going to use whatever force is necessary to remove you. And I find it hard to believe he couldn't make arrangements with the hospital to cover his absence - what if the flight had to be cancelled due to mechanical issues or weather?

I do not want to leave the impression that I am defending United here, or that the police didn't use excessive force (not sure on that). I've flown United exactly once in my whole life (and surprisingly had no issues/complaints) but I know their reputation and it seems well earned. I avoid them to the greatest extent possible which fortunately, for me anyway, isn't too difficult. But when the police show up and tell you to get off, you're going to be getting off one way or another whether you want to or not.
Do people really avoid a standard airline (not Spirit, Frontier or other low cost airlines) for their personal travel on purpose? I thought most just selected the easiest and/or cheapest route and flew that airline, which for most of us in Houston will be Southwest or United.

I've flown United for years (for business and personal) and had one bad experience, which was really a weather issue that shut down an entire airport. Their customer service isn't great, but it isn't the worst thing in the world either.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
digging tunnels said:

Wonder what would have happened if the passenger was a female. Or black. The outrage would be way 100x worse
This really makes you think huh?
CDUB98
AG
schmellba99 said:

Just saw this morning that United's stock is down by 5% and that they are projected to lose as much as $1B in market share because of this incident.

Yeah, I'd say chartering a new flight or any of the other alternatives posted would have been a metric crap ton cheaper than the dumbass option they chose.
Time to buy. Sell in a few days or a couple of weeks for a profit. Won't be huge gains, but money is money.
DrZ
AG
When was the stock down ? It was up yesterday. Down a little in pre-market. This is a silly angle on this story.
cr0wbar
AG
Man. I would absolutely LOVE to get my ass handed to me by United on their airplane!

$$$$
StillNotAnAggie
I have nothing to add.
DrZ
AG
"Federal statistics show that in a five-year span ending with 2016, United Airlines bumped more than 42,500 passengers (who were holding confirmed reservations) involuntarily from flights because the company had overbooked the flight."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/04/10/united-airlines-bumps-passengers-high-rate-but-improving/LWDavgQJvNgiAglVYnGLeL/story.html

Now you think they are going to pay off the guy who goes nuts. Yea that is a good precedent. Not only are they not going to pay him they will demonize him.

That is 8,500/year, 242 per day. It happens all the time
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Their customer service isn't great, but it isn't the worst thing in the world either
United - We're better than Comcast.
Tom Hagen
AG
gougler08 said:

chiken said:

104.7 was reporting that in the terms and agreement when purchasing a ticket, a passenger agrees to being removed from a flight if the seats are needed by crew. So, United was well within their rights to remove passengers for staff.

Still pretty crappy and ol' Asian dude didn't handle it very well, but there it is.
This, he won't be getting much, if anything. Maybe something from the PD for bloodying him up, but I doubt United will pay out anything
You missed the Gorsuch hearings. The Democrats opposed him because he sided with big corporations over the "little guy", when the law was on the side of the big corporation. The courts are filled with activist judges who will ignore the law or contract and side with the "little guy" if he was perceived to be hurt by the corporation.
David Carr
Check TMZ. Doc is convicted felon.
lunchbox
chimpanzee
David Carr said:

Check TMZ. Doc is convicted felon.
Depending on the crime I'm 70/30 that, all else equal, I'd take the felon's side over that of United Airlines.
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

Dr. David Dao was charged in 2005 with 98 felony drug counts for illegally prescribing and trafficking painkillers. Prosecutors claimed Dao fraudulently filled prescriptions for hydocodone, Oxycontin and Percocet.

Dr. Dao was also convicted on 6 felony counts of obtaining drugs by fraud and deceit and in 2005 was given 5 years probation.

Dao was also convicted for writing prescriptions and checks to a patient in exchange for sex.

Drugs for sex? I'd never do something like that.

Primarily because I can't prescribe medication.
David Carr
Quote:

In February, 2005, Dr. Dao surrendered his license to practice medicine in Kentucky. In 2015 the medical board lifted the suspension and allowed him to practice medicine again. Last year, the medical board imposed restrictions on his right to practice. He can only practice internal medicine in an outpatient facility one day a week.

Since he can only practice one day a week I guess he really needed to get back.
Texaggie7nine
I think the main reason most people don't feel sorry for United and their impending market share loss from this incident is because of the idiocy of boarding passengers only to end up demanding some of them leave because they overbooked. Doesn't matter if they contractually can do it. It's a **** thing to do.
7nine
Liquid Wrench
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Got to stand up for that sacred part of the Constitution that states that I must never be inconvenienced at all for any reason.
Ironic, considering your hate for cyclists.*

*Critical Mass excluded. **** those guys.
You may be a little dense if you thought my last comment was ironic.
gougler08
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I think the main reason most people don't feel sorry for United and their impending market share loss from this incident is because of the idiocy of boarding passengers only to end up demanding some of them leave because they overbooked. Doesn't matter if they contractually can do it. It's a **** thing to do.
I pray that they overbook my flights when I travel for business...easy money
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
98 felonies and you are still allowed to practice medicine?
Texaggie7nine
Every Time my flight has been overbooked and money offered, the plane had not been boarded yet.
7nine
Jock 07
AG
Interesting they only got to 800. They offered 1k to two passengers when we had already boarded our COS to DIA flight recently due to having to put more gas on the plane due to the weather. They immediately put the passengers in cabs up to DIA and we probably all got to the airport at the same time.
gougler08
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Every Time my flight has been overbooked and money offered, the plane had not been boarded yet.
I've seen it happen once where they pulled people off the plane...but the guy was civil about it so it wasn't news. But yes, most of the time it happens before hand (as I believe it did for 3 of the 4 people that got bumped on this flight)
White Liberals=The Worst
Panama Red said:

Quote:

Dr. David Dao was charged in 2005 with 98 felony drug counts for illegally prescribing and trafficking painkillers. Prosecutors claimed Dao fraudulently filled prescriptions for hydocodone, Oxycontin and Percocet.

Dr. Dao was also convicted on 6 felony counts of obtaining drugs by fraud and deceit and in 2005 was given 5 years probation.

Dao was also convicted for writing prescriptions and checks to a patient in exchange for sex.

As someone who has seen opiate addiction up close and personal and came very close to losing a loved one, I just lost what little sympathy I had for this guy. I hope he doesn't get a dime. In fact, I hope it turns out he has over stayed a visa or something and ends up getting deported.
sts7049
AG
yeah they definitely could have approached the situation better. if they held boarding until they had the number of seats open required then volunteers could have been better coerced. or at a minimum in this situation, at least move to the next unlucky person on the boot list once this situation was escalating out of control.

at the same time a lot of people forget what the fine print says on your ticket.
Silky Johnston
I cannot stand the b/tch that is squawking the entire time in her high-pitched screech. "Oh my GOD! No! Guys! My God! What ARE you DOing!! Noo! This is wrong, oh my GAWD look at what you did!!"

If this beeotch is such a hero why didn't she volunteer to catch the next flight?
CDUB98
AG
Silky Johnston said:

I cannot stand the b/tch that is squawking the entire time in her high-pitched screech. "Oh my GOD! No! Guys! My God! What ARE you DOing!! Noo! This is wrong, oh my GAWD look at what you did!!"

If this beeotch is such a hero why didn't she volunteer to catch the next flight?
wessimo
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

Now we know how this guy is gonna blow his settlement $$$. H&B all the way.
3rdGenAg05
AG
I'm in Chicago about to board a United flight for Houston and they are overbooked by seven seats. Currently offering $300 voucher to bump. Lol
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
DrZ said:

Now you think they are going to pay off the guy who goes nuts. Yea that is a good precedent. Not only are they not going to pay him they will demonize him.

That is 8,500/year, 242 per day. It happens all the time

Props. You called it. They didn't even have to do it. The bloodthirsty media is handling it for them.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Now that he has been outed as a felon, his settlement size will go way down. The outrage will die down soon enough and the talk shows will likely stay away from him. Plus there is likely more dirt on this guy out there. With the right combination of plaintiff's firm and jurisdiction discovery could still cost several million, but I doubt it gets that far.

And I agree, it would be interesting to know the agreement between United and the police/security because that would determine a lot of the responsibility. Marlene Pinnock is LA got 1.5 million from the police department, however her beating was considerably more savage. Although, she would have had a harder target to go after in the police department. I revise my estimate based on the new facts .75-1.25 million.
KW02
AG
They are in damage control right now. CEO has issued 3 statements already.
BohunkAg
AG
3rdGenAg05 said:

I'm in Chicago about to board a United flight for Houston and they are overbooked by seven seats. Currently offering $300 voucher to bump. Lol
United has also f-cked themselves in the $$$ for overbooking market for the forseeable future.
BMX Bandit
I don't see any scenario in which discovery cost several million dollars.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.