Houston
Sponsored by

United airlines drags doctor off overbooked flight

13,900 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wessimo
aggiebq03+
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fire09 said:

If a representative of an airline tells you to gtfo, listen. I'm not sympathetic of anyone who ignores crew instructions regardless of the reason. Did United go overboard pulling him off the plane? Yes, but he brought that on himself by acting like a petulant child instead of an adult.

Nice to be able to easily identify who works for United in this thread.

If you've already let me on the plane and then ask me to get off, I'll tell you to go **** yourself. I've got places to be for work, otherwise I wouldn't be on your ****ty airline. When I fly for vacation I fly good airlines.
themissinglink
AG
sushi94 said:

Who actually physically removed the man? Was it United Security? is there such a thing? Airport Security at United's request? TSA? Whoever made the decision to physically remove the man is in trouble in my opinion.
I believe it was Chicago PD. United asked them to get involved because the doctor refused to give up his seat.

If a customer is breaking the law, sure, get police to throw them off the plane. If a customer is refusing to "volunteer" to be kicked off the plane, that seems like an issue that should remain with United.

Either way, Chicago PD was asked to get involved at the direction of United employees. There is almost no way for United to save face on this one.
Liquid Wrench
I guess I'm a beta-male, but if the PoPo is asking me to leave, i'm going to comply and sort it out later, not test them to see how serious they are.
Ag83
AG
sushi94 said:

Who actually physically removed the man? Was it United Security? is there such a thing? Airport Security at United's request? TSA? Whoever made the decision to physically remove the man is in trouble in my opinion.

Apparently the police. One thing's for sure, as badly as United handled this, when the police show up and tell you too get off, you'd best do it. No chance he was going to win that battle.
themissinglink
AG
Ag83 said:

sushi94 said:

Apparently the police. One thing's for sure, as badly as United handled this, when the police show up and tell you too get off, you'd best do it. No chance he was going to win that battle.
I generally agree with you, but If I'm a doctor and taking a later flight could mean the death of a patient, I might refuse. I'm sure the doctor "needing to see patients" angle is played up on this incident, but United playing the "it's in our policy" card is not going to save face.
wessimo
AG
I might have agreed but this dude is most likely looking at a seven figure payday for getting roughed up a little. I'd take that option in a heartbeat.
chimpanzee
wessimo said:

I might have agreed but this dude is most likely looking at a seven figure payday for getting roughed up a little. I'd take that option in a heartbeat.
One might say he handled the whole "getting bumped compensation" situation to its absolute best possible outcome.
Ag83
AG
themissinglink said:

Ag83 said:

sushi94 said:

I generally agree with you, but If I'm a doctor and taking a later flight could mean the death of a patient, I might refuse. I'm sure the doctor "needing to see patients" angle is played up on this incident, but United playing the "it's in our policy" card is not going to save face.
You can [try to] refuse all you want, but the police are not just going to say "ok" and walk away. They are going to use whatever force is necessary to remove you. And I find it hard to believe he couldn't make arrangements with the hospital to cover his absence - what if the flight had to be cancelled due to mechanical issues or weather?

I do not want to leave the impression that I am defending United here, or that the police didn't use excessive force (not sure on that). I've flown United exactly once in my whole life (and surprisingly had no issues/complaints) but I know their reputation and it seems well earned. I avoid them to the greatest extent possible which fortunately, for me anyway, isn't too difficult. But when the police show up and tell you to get off, you're going to be getting off one way or another whether you want to or not.
Lonestarandi
AG
Call me biased. If they oversold, the company shouldn't kick paying customers off. Get your crew to rent a car and drive. That's what I did this weekend when delta cancelled my to and from flights to Augusta due to no crew. (13 hours each way no less) I'd rather the missing crew arrive by rental car than knowing someone who paid and was trying to get home lost their spot on the plane because of the company's oversight.
themissinglink
AG
Ag83 said:

themissinglink said:

Ag83 said:

sushi94 said:

You can [try to] refuse all you want, but the police are not just going to say "ok" and walk away. They are going to use whatever force is necessary to remove you. And I find it hard to believe he couldn't make arrangements with the hospital to cover his absence - what if the flight had to be cancelled due to mechanical issues or weather?

I do not want to leave the impression that I am defending United here, or that the police didn't use excessive force (not sure on that). I've flown United exactly once in my whole life (and surprisingly had no issues/complaints) but I know their reputation and it seems well earned. I avoid them to the greatest extent possible which fortunately, for me anyway, isn't too difficult. But when the police show up and tell you to get off, you're going to be getting off one way or another whether you want to or not.
I think we're in agreement, but United should train employees to be decent, reasonable human beings. If someone says "I'm a doctor and need to see patients", good excuse. We could challenge it, but I'm sure we can find some poor vacationer or business traveller who can take the next flight. Next person. "I'm a business traveller who wants to get home to see my kids", bumped. My preference is that United be required to keep increasing the voucher amount until someone agrees. Let the market decide the cost of inconviencing me.

The problem with what United did is that now people who are involuntarily bumped will refuse to get off the plane and let the police forcibly remove them. People posting images of your bloodied customer's face all over the internet is a lot more costly than a $1,300 check or whatever it would have cost them to get someone else to volunteer.
mts6175
AG
themissinglink said:

Ag83 said:

sushi94 said:

Angle is played up? No offense, but even if I'm going to see that doctor the next day just to get a routine check up and I find out he's not there because he missed his flight to voluntarily give up his seat, one I'm going to be pissed for wasting my time and two I'm finding a new doctor.

Good for him for giving a **** about his customers. United could learn something from him.....

And hopefully this is a lesson to airlines to stop ****ing overbooking flights. They get paid regardless.
Liquid Wrench
Just a guess, but I'd bet the flight wasn't overbooked until some irresponsible airline employees realized they needed the flight.

But still, I'm having trouble feeling sympathy for the doctor. To paraphrase a wise man, if the police have to come and get you, they're bringing an ass whooping with them.
BMX Bandit
wessimo said:

I highly doubt that occurs
BMX Bandit
Airlines will never stop overbooking
jamaggie06
AG
I'm guessing the cost to the airline would have been a lot more than $800 per seat if an entire other flight was cancelled due to not having a crew.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to drive them? Or offer OT pay to sone freshly off duty crew in Louisiville already?

Yes, once the police got involved it shoukd have been over and the man should have gotten up.

This is a horrible look for United and just plain dumb. I imagine they lost more than one customer over this. Everyone else on that plane who didn't want to get up will obviosly sympathize with this man.

And since when is the customer supoosed to suffer for the businesses sake? The burden should always fall on the business.
aggiebq03+
If the cops come for me, I'll ask them if I'm under arrest. If not, they can piss off. They can't detain me or lawfully take me off a plane because some idiot at United doesn't know how many damn seats are on their plane. I have a ticketed seat I paid for and was assigned.
BMX Bandit
aggiebq03+ said:

If the cops come for me, I'll ask them if I'm under arrest. If not, they can piss off. They can't detain me or lawfully take me off a plane because some idiot at United doesn't know how many damn seats are on their plane. I have a ticketed seat I paid for and was assigned.

Actually, yes they can take you off the plane if the airline tells them you won't voluntarily get off.

Ag83
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Yeah, good luck with that.
themissinglink
AG
BMX Bandit said:

aggiebq03+ said:

Actually, yes they can take you off the plane if the airline tells them you won't voluntarily get off.

Can they? Yes. Should they? No. Increasing the voluntary compensation to whatever will get people off the airplane is cheaper than seeing someone's bloody face all over the internet.
DrZ
AG
You can be removed from a plane if you make an attendant mad. Nothing else has to happen. You will be removed.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

If the cops come for me, I'll ask them if I'm under arrest. If not, they can piss off.
You've watched too many youtube videos.

"AM I UNDER ARREST???!!!"
aggiebq03+
BMX Bandit said:

aggiebq03+ said:

And it will end in a PR nightmare just like this incident did.

Edit to add - Except people will care even more because I know how to take video in landscape mode on my phone.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
This guy will get his, United was wrong, even if they were within their rights, they will never find a jury who would support them. If this happened to me I'd have the Today Show, TMZ, and every other news show on my schedule then I'd send an extremely broad document request, along with 8 figure settlement offer. He could make the discovery process cost 10 million by itself.
Tom Hagen
AG
BMX Bandit said:

aggiebq03+ said:

They will earn their pay carrying 240 lbs. of dead weight off of the plane.
CheeseSndwch
The thread title makes me miss the Hand Doctor.
schmellba99
AG
Bassmaster said:

The stupidity on United's part is baffling. There is a pretty easy solution here, just increase the offer above $800 until you have 4 takers. It may cost you a little bit, but much less than it will cost you by dragging a guy off of the plane.

The smart thing to do would have been to make the offer, if no takers volunterred, go charter a private flight for your crew on a separate plane. Its a fuggin airport - planes are easy to come by there. Cheaper than this mess by a long shot.

This just seems like somebody won the lotto on being a complete dumbass.
digging tunnels
AG
Wonder what would have happened if the passenger was a female. Or black. The outrage would be way 100x worse
Post removed:
by user
DrZ
AG
The Dr. was one guy. They boarded 4 employees. Who were the other three that got off?
The only thing unusual here is that the guy was on the plane already. They "un-voluntarily remove" people from planes all the time pre-board. It has happened to me. You can get as mad as you want but you are gone.
03_Aggie
If it was the police that roughed him up what basis would he have to go after United? That he was wrongly asked to exit the plane?
Texaggie7nine
Not all heros wear capes...
7nine
DrZ
AG
I just read the latest article. Three other passengers got off without incident. If they pay this guys money for going berserk then get ready for every passenger that is removed to act like this. They will not pay him a dime.
chiken
AG
104.7 was reporting that in the terms and agreement when purchasing a ticket, a passenger agrees to being removed from a flight if the seats are needed by crew. So, United was well within their rights to remove passengers for staff.

Still pretty crappy and ol' Asian dude didn't handle it very well, but there it is.
MemorialTXAg
Keeper of The Spirits said:

This guy will get his, United was wrong, even if they were within their rights, they will never find a jury who would support them. If this happened to me I'd have the Today Show, TMZ, and every other news show on my schedule then I'd send an extremely broad document request, along with 8 figure settlement offer. He could make the discovery process cost 10 million by itself.

8 figure settlement offer for a busted lip and no wrong doing on the side of the airline? Good luck.
Liquid Wrench
Well yeah, but if discovery would cost them $10 million, then they'd jump at the chance to save $2 million by settling with you, right?

This is the kind of stuff I come to Texags for. Combined with the "Ask if I'm being arrested and tell 'em to F off" part, I think I've got a pretty shrewd retirement plan taking shape with all this great legal advice.

Got to stand up for that sacred part of the Constitution that states that I must never be inconvenienced at all for any reason

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.