Houston
Sponsored by

Metallica

15,177 Views | 193 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 3rdGenAg05
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The acoustics are the worst I've ever experienced. I can't understand one ******* word in this ****ty stadium.
whiskey02
AG
These first two bands have guys that scream like *****es.
Cromagnum
AG
Avenged Sevenfold was much better than Volbeat. Hopefully Metallica cleans it up more.
spider96
AG
Agreed.
whiskey02
AG
zgood10
AG
Awesome show. Loved the Japanese drum interlude in Now That We're Dead
whiskey02
AG
It was a great show. The 2 opening bands were not very good, but the sound seemed to be off for both.
Al Bula
AG
Cromagnum said:

The acoustics are the worst I've ever experienced. I can't understand one ******* word in this ****ty stadium.
sounds good to me from the floor.

Anybody see Bagwell and the hand doc's wife?
jetch17
AG
Fck this traffic
Cromagnum
AG
My ears are ringing like a mofo after this. Hell of a show by Metallica but NRG sucks ass as a venue for concerts, especially with the roof closed. I think if Metallica had dialed it back to 9 or 10 from 11 it would have been less painful on the old ear drums and easier to hear the vocals. Great setlist. Was super stoked that Robert played Anesthesia with the tribute to Cliff.
whiskey02
AG
jetch17 said:

Fck this traffic

I don't know how it happened, but I was able to get from the Astrodome lot to Spring in 30 minutes. Didn't leave early either. My parking spot somehow had a direct shot at the exit which never happens.
whiskey02
AG
Cromagnum said:

My ears are ringing like a mofo after this. Hell of a show by Metallica but NRG sucks ass as a venue for concerts, especially with the roof closed. I think if Metallica had dialed it back to 9 or 10 from 11 it would have been less painful on the old ear drums and easier to hear the vocals. Great setlist. Was super stoked that Robert played Anesthesia with the tribute to Cliff.

You wanted the best metal band ever to turn the volume down?
Cromagnum
AG
whiskey02 said:

Cromagnum said:

When it's a wall of noise it would be awesome to discern the vocals. I saw them in 08 when they played at the Toyota center and it was a perfect balance. NRG has such **** acoustics that the only solution they could come up with was to crank it and hope for the best.
whiskey02
AG
Cromagnum said:

whiskey02 said:

Cromagnum said:

When it's a wall of noise it would be awesome to discern the vocals. I saw them in 08 when they played at the Toyota center and it was a perfect balance. NRG has such **** acoustics that the only solution they could come up with was to crank it and hope for the best.

What section were you in? I could hear the vocals well enough in 305. I did feel that way about the 2 opening bands though. I could not clearly hear the vocals, but both bands had whiny high pitched ***** screamers. Hetfield is not that.

The acoustics do generally suck there. I saw U2 there 2 weeks ago. They had bad issues with high pitch guitar and vocals early on, but they mostly corrected that about 3 or 4 songs in.
whiskey02
AG
Also, if you followed the link to the warm up there is an option to purchase a recording of tonight's show. I will be doing that.

http://webcast.livemetallica.com/?show=559
Cromagnum
AG
whiskey02 said:

Cromagnum said:

whiskey02 said:

Cromagnum said:

What section were you in? I could hear the vocals well enough in 305. I did feel that way about the 2 opening bands though. I could not clearly hear the vocals, but both bands had whiny high pitched ***** screamers. Hetfield is not that.

The acoustics do generally suck there. I saw U2 there 2 weeks ago. They had bad issues with high pitch guitar and vocals early on, but they mostly corrected that about 3 or 4 songs in.

We were in nosebleeds originally and could not make out a single sung or spoken word up there. Eventually snuck down to a rail that was in the 300 section in front of a press box pretty much centered on the stage. Was better there, but damned loud.
digging tunnels
AG

Got a set list and two picks
Mr. McGibblets
AG
How does your throat feel ?
Ghost91
whiskey02 said:

Cromagnum said:

whiskey02 said:

Cromagnum said:

You must not have been able to hear the vocals as well as you thought - Volbeat's singer has a deep voice. Very very few screams or high notes, if any.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I have seen a lot of shows at NRG and the acoustics are not always bad. They were just fine for U2 and Guns N Roses. I thought Metallica put on a hell of a show, my ears will be ringing all day today.
Zobel
AG
Volbeat and Metallica sounded great from the floor, way better than I expected. Then again, I expected rodeo white noise garbage, so it's a low bar.

Avenged Sevenfold 's mix was off, too much kick, almost no vocals, very quiet guitars.

Avenged Sevenfold and Volbeat have whiny high pitched ***** singers?? You must have been at the wrong venue. Neither one comes close to whiny...?

Y'all with ringing ears are crazy, my phone was showing 110 dB on the floor during Volbeat.
jetch17
AG
Great show from up front

testosterbone
AG
3rdGenAg05
AG
Awesome show. Perfect set list. My ears are ringing like crazy.
Your Friend
3rdGenAg05 said:

Awesome show. Perfect set list. My ears are ringing like crazy.

"Metallic something..."
Cromagnum
AG
For whom the Bell tolls (before YouTube Yanks it)

Ecstacy of Gold / Hardwired Intro

Intro to One
Al Bula
AG
Grainy cell pic of the day:

Hall of famer and hand doc's wife

62strat
AG
The mix was surprisingly really f-in good from the pit (and surely the center floor up close). I had zero complaints. I didn't wear earplugs, and had no fatigue. It was the perfect volume. (Compared to a show at red rocks last month that left my ears a bit painful the next day)
Cool how you hear the actual drums when James walks over in this vid.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xq330ub8sl7txci/2017-06-07%2023.32.47.mov
Shut it down
I'm sad that my greatest take away from the show was that there are a lot more husky latinas with fishnet stockings who like metallica in Houston than I would have wagered earlier.
digging tunnels
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

How does your throat feel ?

From all the singing and yelling from the show front row, it feels totally fine. I appreciate you asking

But still Lars' salty ball sweat lingers
zgood10
AG
Preordered the recording of the show

I kinda felt bad for Mixmaster Mike. He was really trying to get the crowd into his sets and just wasn't working.
Cromagnum
AG
zgood10 said:

I kinda felt bad for Mixmaster Mike. He was really trying to get the crowd into his sets and just wasn't working.

To be fair, he was trying to amp up a bunch of metalheads. Not exactly a great matchup.
Shut it down
zgood10 said:

and for most of the show, he wasn't even mixxing. He was just playing tracks; like a 45 year old flat brimmed wearing Kasey Kasem.
zgood10
AG

Jeff Bagwell shoutout
Ducks4brkfast
AG
whiskey02 said:

Cromagnum said:

Black Sabbath made an appearance?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.