Houston
Sponsored by

Metallica

15,091 Views | 193 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 3rdGenAg05
Ferris Wheel Allstar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
62strat said:

gordo97 said:

How is anyone able to take pictures in the pit? It used to be that you would have to be in full survival mode at a metal show with all the bodies flying around. Now everyone is just playing with their phones?
The snake pit had zero moshing.. most people were just staring in awe. I think I saw some pits in GA.
There was one small one by us.
jetch17
AG
Pit up front was VERY tame
cajunaggie08
AG
I spotted a pit on each side of the snake pit up near the front of the crowd. Definitely wasn't the rowdiest pit i had seen. They seemed a bit tired and just going through the motions by the end of the set
Old Wooden Ship
AG
There some moshing going near me towards the front left through most of the show
cone
AG
Quote:

They seemed a bit tired and just going through the motions by the end of the set
seems appropriate
Liquid Wrench
My observation of rock and metal shows I've been to in the last decade is that the crowd isn't packed with teenagers anymore, it's mostly guys my age and older. Weirdly enough, they're a little more tame than when they were dropping out of high school.
Al Bula
AG
So I got an email saying Metallica is selling recordings of the show (as well as all shows in other cities I assume).

http://www.livemetallica.com//live-music/0,559/Metallica-mp3-flac-download-6-11-2017-NRG-Stadium-Houston-TX.html

zgood10
AG
RPM said:

So I got an email saying Metallica is selling recordings of the show (as well as all shows in other cities I assume).

http://www.livemetallica.com//live-music/0,559/Metallica-mp3-flac-download-6-11-2017-NRG-Stadium-Houston-TX.html

Ordered mine (CD)
Al Bula
AG
By the way, this is still semi relevant 18ish years later!

Liquid Wrench
Still great. Though the real LOL was that we were already past Napster by the time they launched that crusade.
Diggity
AG
Not really true. Their lawsuit was during the height of Napster and P2P popularity.
Liquid Wrench
Please find a way to forgive me if I overstated it, but there were other p2p networks and Metallica's jihad just pissed people off and inspired them to get more creative.
vansprinkle
AG
RPM said:

I went to their St Anger tour back in the mid 2000s and was able to buy a download of the show back then. It received regular play for a long time and I'm sure this one will too.
zgood10
AG
I got the Death Magnetic Tour recording of the Houston show in 2008. Hopefully the mix on this one is better than that one. The live show sounded way better than the recording.
Al Bula
AG
That's good to know. I have not heard of a mega successful band selling individual concert recordings before. Maybe my head has been in the sand.
62strat
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Please find a way to forgive me if I overstated it, but there were other p2p networks and Metallica's jihad just pissed people off and inspired them to get more creative.
Napster launched June 1999, Metallica sued April of 2000.. that's not that far apart. Bearshare came out after that time, gnutella was one month before, bit torrents came after.

I'd say the court case was right at the height of Napster, and there weren't many other options at that exact time (outside of good old resnet).

The outcome/settlement of the case was summer 2001, maybe that's what you're thinking of. By then, most people had moved on.
62strat
AG
RPM said:

That's good to know. I have not heard of a mega successful band selling individual concert recordings before. Maybe my head has been in the sand.
Metallica has been doing this since 04 since they launched livemetallica.com

http://www.livemetallica.com/catalog.aspx

Lots of old free shows.

I'm pretty sure my ticket purchase for them in 2008 came with a free download of it.. because I have it, and I don't think I would have bought it.
Al Bula
AG
Yep, head in sand confirmed. Too bad those downloads only go back so far.
TXAG 05
AG
Downloaded the show last night, sounds great!
3rdGenAg05
AG
I'm just glad I lived ~5 mins of that show through my five inch screen. Been rewatching all week. I can't wait to listen to the album.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.