Houston
Sponsored by

Tornado warning near Katy

11,692 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by spadilly
AJ02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in Spring in what was the projected path of the "tornado". I got warnings on my phone all morning and just fell right back asleep. Oh well. I was listening for the "freight train" noise and never heard it so I figured I was okay.
CDUB98
AG
Not gonna get a freight train noise with an EF-0 tornady.

You're just gonna think your wife ripped ass really hard in your half awake stupor.
RM1993
AG
sts7049 said:

Saw this when they aired it over and over on tv.....I'm mesmerized by the piece of debris that narrowly misses the car, then hits the guardrail and looks to be glowing/burning when the video comes up on it by the guardrail.
Jock 07
AG
Looks like a street light reflection to me
BohunkAg
AG
Certainly a lot of Billy Bad Asses on this board.
mts6175
AG
RM1993 said:

Saw this when they aired it over and over on tv.....I'm mesmerized by the piece of debris that narrowly misses the car, then hits the guardrail and looks to be glowing/burning when the video comes up on it by the guardrail.

Headlights......
texsn95
AG
Right over our house too in 77084. It got a bit windy around 7 or so but nothing too unusual than what you usually get out of a severe storm.
Cromagnum
AG
I like the 100% chance of rain forecast today without a drop to be seen while Saturday was a 0% chance and it did rain...
GCRanger
AG
Looks like more storms coming in early morning.
https://springhappenings.com/flooding-chances-increase-as-severe-storms-move-into-area/
Cromagnum
AG
Jeff Lindner has a crazy ass outlook

Quote:

Heavy rainfall threat tonight-Wednesday nightpowerful system to affect the area this weekend.

Longwave trough remains anchored over the SW US with numerous disturbances ejecting out of this trough and across TX. At the surface a cold front has slowly progressed to along a line from about Baytown to Pearland to Victoria this afternoon and stalled. A strong disturbance is crossing MX and will eject across SC TX tonight spreading lift across a moist air mass and the stalled frontal boundary. HRRR is very aggressive with explosive convective development overnight along the north side of the front, but think this model is likely overly excited given current radar trends. However all factors will be in place for a very wet tonight into Wednesday night with at least a couple more inches of rainfall across the region. While much of the coastal areas have experienced very little rainfall thus far, inland areas (NW of US 59) have picked up a solid 1-2 inches and soil moisture profiles are showing wetness values of 80-100% over that areaso additional rainfall will generate run-off. Additionally run-off tends to be maximized this time of year with dead vegetation from recent freezes and very low if any vegetative growth.

Rains will continue into at least early afternoon on Wednesday before a brief break and the next strong disturbances arrives late Wednesday into early Thursday. This system looks to produce heavy rains and storms SE of US 59 toward the coast. Rainfall amounts over the next 48 hours will average 1-3 inches over the area with isolated amounts of 4 inches. This rainfall on saturated grounds will lead to effective run-off and rises on area watersheds. As for severe weatheranother high shear low CAPE environment will be in place tonight into early Wednesday and this could support low topped supercells along and south of the stalled frontal boundary. These types of supercells can produce weak tornadoes similar to yesterday morning. Surface front may attempt to lift NNW early Wednesday toward or even just NW of US 59 which could bring this "marginal" severe threat inland to along US 59.

Thursday afternoon and Friday will feature a brief break in the active weatherbut this will rapidly end late Friday into Saturday as a powerful upper level low comes barreling across TX. Wind energy with this system will be "tremendous", but moisture is currently lacking. Should better moisture be found between now and Saturday evening a severe threat would be possible and in fact historical analogs with mid January similar systems support a tornado outbreak across the mid south.

Of much importance will be the track of the core of the upper level storm across N TX Saturday night allowing a powerful 80kt 700mb jet to develop on the backside of this system. GFS is forecasting 50kt 925mb winds Sunday and it is looking increasingly likely that some sort of high wind end will be possible. It is interesting to note that coastal bend analog high wind events with this setup have produce some of the most intense events. As skies clear expect strong surface moment transfer and likely Wind Advisory or rare High Wind Warning event for portions of central, SC, SE TX. Way early for any kind of wind forecasts being 6 days out, but this is something that certainly bears close watch given the forecast setup. Almost certain, even at Day 6, this will be Gale Warning criteria for all the waters and could even be Storm Warning Criteria with frequent gusts of 55+mph over the Gulf waters. Not sure I have ever seen a Storm Warning for our coastal waters everso if the forecast pans out that might be a rare first.

While it will be wet, extreme drying will take place early Sunday as 700-850mb dry air is brought rapidly to the surface behind the departing cold front. Not sure I have seen KBDI values of 0-200 with critical fire weather threatbut this Sunday appears to be that potential with widespread powerful surface winds, very low RH, and dead fine fuels from the recent freezes. The large wind loading in the low levels is concern enough and could easily negate high soil moisture values with dead fuels once dried by a few hours of strong dry winds. May be looking at high end Red Flag criteria for a large portion of TX on Sunday which is somewhat hard to believe given we are talking about flooding right now!
zgood10
98Ag99Grad
AG
High water all over town. Chilling on the couch for awhile until this slacks off some.
Boats and Hose
AG
Office closed until 10. Anybody know how bad it is downtown (Dallas and Clay)?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Bad
sts7049
AG
it rained most of the morning in the EC.
GCRanger
AG
45 hov apparently closed. Sitting on bus on 45 main lanes. 30 minutes from Spring p&r to Fry's south of belt.

Gig-Em2003
AG
https://www.harriscountyfws.org/#main

Looks real bad along 59 corridor and inner loop.
Ag_07
AG
http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

What a shlt show
Al Bula
AG
Ag_07 said:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

What a shlt show
I think the real sh t show is that the transtar website is still using 2005 technology.
swimmerbabe11
My backyard

My garage

Should I unplug the dryer? That's about two inches of water. All my christmas decorations are ruined most likely.
gougler08
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

My backyard

My garage

Should I unplug the dryer? That's about two inches of water. All my christmas decorations are ruined most likely.
Yikes, and I thought my backyard looked bad
aTm2004
AG
Sorry to see that. Hopefully it doesn't go beyond the garage.
Post removed:
by user
CDUB98
AG
I don't know whether to be happy or bothered that my commute was absolutely uneventful this morning.

On the one hand, I got to work without problems.

On the other hand, I got to work.
aTm2004
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Yep. I left a little earlier this morning because I knew traffic would be worse due to the rain, but didn't know it would be this bad. As I got on 59 in Kingwood, it stated that it was 40 something minutes to 610, so I checked Google Maps, and it was blood red most of the way down, so I exited Aldine Bender and took that over to the Hardy and took the Hardy down since it was showing as green all the way to 610 (this was about 6am). Luckily, it was still moving at posted speeds when I was on it, and was able to get to 610 rather quickly and then take that around to 10. The only real traffic I hit this morning was a little on 59 between 1960 and 8, and then some on 610 at the 45 exits.

I normally leave at 4, and somebody scheduled a meeting at 4 today, so I may try to get out of that and head out a bit early if it continues to rain all day so I can get home before mid-night.
gougler08
AG
aTm2004 said:

Gig-Em2003 said:

Yep. I left a little earlier this morning because I knew traffic would be worse due to the rain, but didn't know it would be this bad. As I got on 59 in Kingwood, it stated that it was 40 something minutes to 610, so I checked Google Maps, and it was blood red most of the way down, so I exited Aldine Bender and took that over to the Hardy and took the Hardy down since it was showing as green all the way to 610 (this was about 6am). Luckily, it was still moving at posted speeds when I was on it, and was able to get to 610 rather quickly and then take that around to 10. The only real traffic I hit this morning was a little on 59 between 1960 and 8, and then some on 610 at the 45 exits.

I normally leave at 4, and somebody scheduled a meeting at 4 today, so I may try to get out of that and head out a bit early if it continues to rain all day so I can get home before mid-night.
I woke up, saw the roads and said **** that, I'm working from the house today
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
drove memorial all the way into downtown at about 6:50 this morning with no issues. deepest water encountered was about 6 inches deep under shepherd. got an announcement as I sat down at my desk that the office opening was delayed until 10...
zgood10
AG
3rd floor apartment Braeswood @ 610. Streets are flooded and water is coming into the lower parking garage level. Luckily I made a random bleach run yesterday.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Poor children are being sucked into storm sewers and drowning at this very moment, countless people are stranded and fighting for their very lives, but - OH NO - Swimmer's Christmas decorations might have gotten wet!
Thanks for putting this all into perspective.
zgood10
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

Poor children are being sucked into storm sewers and drowning at this very moment, countless people are stranded and fighting for their very lives, but - OH NO - Swimmer's Christmas decorations might have gotten wet!
Don't forget the sharks, man.
Arkyd
AG
There are some flooded back roads in the Heights. Couldn't make it out to 45 and had to turn around. Guess I'm working from home this morning at least...
swimmerbabe11
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

Children could have enjoyed those Christmas decorations!!!

Also, where are there sewers in Houston? I've only noticed drainage ditches.
Serotonin
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

This will be a big deal to Swimmer's neighbors. He officially kicks off the Christmas season with his famous decorations every Nov. 1st:
swimmerbabe11
I drove from the heights to katy. Wasn't fun but no flooding on the roads, just my yard.
randy828
AG
CDUB98 said:

I don't know whether to be happy or bothered that my commute was absolutely uneventful this morning.

On the one hand, I got to work without problems.

On the other hand, I got to work.
Same here, 290 to Beltway to I10 to Chimney Rock..no problem. Arrived here and had an email that I could have worked from home. Got to remember to check email before coming in...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.