Houston
Sponsored by

HLSR Committee

13,169 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXAG 05
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgOrb said:

Honest question - Why would anyone want to do this? What do you get in return?

My committee works directly with the kids so it's a good way to give back and volunteer. Also it's full of great people I enjoy being around. We work hard and have fun for those few weeks each year.

It's also pretty cool to be able to spend time behind the scenes of the largest rodeo and livestock show in the world and something that means quite a bit to Houston culture and history.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
AgOrb said:

If you have to ask, it's not for you
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Ag_07 said:

AgOrb said:

My committee works directly with the kids so it's a good way to give back and volunteer. Also it's full of great people I enjoy being around. We work hard and have fun for those few weeks each year.

It's also pretty cool to be able to spend time behind the scenes of the largest rodeo and livestock show in the world and something that means quite a bit to Houston culture and history.
What committee are you on?
Ag_07
AG
Judging Contest

Think a few others here on the board are as well
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Aside: is it too early to start LOLpoorHooring for tent wristbands?
The Wonderer
AG
blindey said:

Aside: is it too early to start LOLpoorHooring for tent wristbands?
About 45 days? Nah.

Already have mine squared away.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Yeah theres a few of you on here.
Remember The Astrodome
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

AgOrb said:

I agree with this, that is why I asked. I avoid the rodeo as much as I can but I would never fault someone for wanting to do this. I was just curious what others got out of it.
JSKolache
AG
I know Recycling was undermanned last year & and they wanted to add more folks. Not sure if too late at this point, but you might include them on your preference list when you sign up on the website.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
AgOrb said:

AgOrb said:

I agree with this, that is why I asked. I avoid the rodeo as much as I can but I would never fault someone for wanting to do this. I was just curious what others got out of it.

Each person gets different things. #1 is helping the kids get scholarships who would not go to college. I get to socialize with people I normally would not be connected to. I am exposed to a lot of different events, learn a lot about different Ag and livestock, and give back myself via $.

Plus it doesn't hurt that I get a place to booze, meet girls and see concerts.
Dr. Horrible
The Wonderer said:

AgOrb said:

I've made some really good friend through my committee and others and really enjoy the Rodeo much more than when I just went to see a show. I spend probably all but maybe three or four days on the grounds from Cookoff through the last show. Plus, providing a service that helps a group provide scholarships and teaches traditions and Texan culture is be benefit for me. This is my first year getting involved with a livestock buying team and I'm excited for that.
Basically this for me too.

What are y'all planning on buying?
The Wonderer
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

The Wonderer said:

AgOrb said:

I've made some really good friend through my committee and others and really enjoy the Rodeo much more than when I just went to see a show. I spend probably all but maybe three or four days on the grounds from Cookoff through the last show. Plus, providing a service that helps a group provide scholarships and teaches traditions and Texan culture is be benefit for me. This is my first year getting involved with a livestock buying team and I'm excited for that.
Basically this for me too.

What are y'all planning on buying?
Swine. Always fun to sit in the auction.
Ducks4brkfast
AG

Yeah theres a few of you on here.
In da house!
Dr. Horrible
The Wonderer said:

Swine. Always fun to sit in the auction.
Even more fun when you're doing the buying! And going to the parties is fun too. We buy in all 4 livestock auctions, and going to buy in wine for the first time this year.
peybarrier
AG
AgOrb said:

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has pretty much helped shape me into who I am today. My family has been involved for as long as I can remember, been a life member since I was 10, got on a committee the first change I could (Junior Rodeo Committee - JRC) which I did for 5 years until I could be on finally be on adult committee and have been doing that for the past 3 years. Also interned multiple times doing various things through A&M. I don't think anything is more rewarding than knowing you are helping change someone's life and giving them a chance to have the kind of education you were blessed to have. I wouldn't change it for the world!!
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Yall need to get some Poultry Auction commitments to me.
MsC2012
AG
Can you email me? mrsc201224 at gmail
TXAG 05
AG

What's the minimum buy in?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

What's the minimum buy in?
And what's the number if we want to choke the chickens ourselves?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
no minimum.. We create partnerships and pool money with different people. The top 55 lots for Poultry are considered champion lots. The back end of that go for around $6,000. From there, the lots usually drop to the $3-4k range.

Here is an overview of being a buyer:

• No minimum commitment- in order to receive a pen of chickens, at least $500 must be
committed.
  • The Buyer may elect to accept one pen of poultry per $500 committed
  • Commitment CAN be applied at auction
  • Benefits for Poultry Purchase Commitments - $2,000 purchase commitment gets two (2)
passes to BBQ on Thursday, March 2, 2017 and can accept an invitation for two (2) to
the Auction Breakfast and the Auction.

• In addition to the benefits above, a $2,000 purchase commitment can accept an
invitation to the buyer's gala Saturday, January 21, 2017. (And next years Gala)
Dr. Horrible

invitation to the buyer's gala Saturday, January 21, 2017. (And next years Gala)
Speaking of this, I'm ready to get my drink on!
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

Speaking of this, I'm ready to get my drink on!
going to be a good time
Dr. Horrible
Good job to your committee FWA, best one since I've been going to them...
Sportsfreak
I am with Rodeo Express, and I need people!! Come on!!

We are the largest committee at rodeo. We are the group that works the parking lots around town, where you ride the buses into the show. Then we load you up and get you out when you're ready to leave. We also handle the light rail arrivals/departures as well. It's not glamorous, but it is a lot of fun, and most people seem to like they schedules they work.

I have had success from TexAgs in the past few years, and am always looking to add people!! I can add you to a team right away.

If interested, and/or just want more details please email me at: m _ meade @ yahoo . com
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Ag_07 said:

Judging Contest

Think a few others here on the board are as well
Solid party last night. I am exhausted today.
Ag_07
AG
Ha! It usually is. That's why I so badly want it to be moved to a Friday or Saturday.

Unfortunately with a newborn at home I was unable to make it this year. I'll be making up for it at the donor party.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
well unless you are going to cut a check for an event place on Saturday or Friday, it will be on Sunday. It is so much better at the Bell Tower than it was before.
Guitarsoup
AG
AgOrb said:

I'm on the Armed Forces Appreciation Committee. We hire buses to go to Ft Hood and Ft Polk to pick up soldiers and their families. We give them all the good Texas BBQ they can eat, then give them seats to the rodeo and concert as well as carnival coupons. They get a free day at the rodeo with their families and get to have fun with their kids without spending any money.

We also bus in a group of the Greatest Generation and honor them, as well as give them all the booze they want.
KDubAg
AG
Anybody here part of the Muttin Bustin Committee? Sister in law wanted to join last year but was too late. She made sure to check on time this year, and thought May 30th would be the day they would post openings if there were any. She said it looks like they changed it to May 1st and missed it again.

I have no idea. She's asking me if I know anybody. I know there's got to be some Aggies in the committee. Maybe somebody here willing to give her some info and put her on a list.

Thanks
TXAG 05
AG
I'd suggest that she try another committee this year just get her feet wet and see if she even likes being a part of the Show. That will also give her a chance to meet people on MB which could help her get on, because if she doesn't know anyone, especially someone high up, she most likely isn't getting on MB no matter when she signs up.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Anyone know Steer Starlettes committee members? My wife is looking into it, she has a couple connections on the committee already, but wanted to see if anyone here had any tips on the process.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Lester Freamon said:

Anyone know Steer Starlettes committee members? My wife is looking into it, she has a couple connections on the committee already, but wanted to see if anyone here had any tips on the process.

I am curious as to why she wants to be on that committee?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

I'd suggest that she try another committee this year just get her feet wet and see if she even likes being a part of the Show. That will also give her a chance to meet people on MB which could help her get on, because if she doesn't know anyone, especially someone high up, she most likely isn't getting on MB no matter when she signs up.
This is solid advice. The more select Rodeo committees are getting more selective on letting 1st time members on the committee because of retention.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
She is in corporate marketing for a local company that does a significant amount of rodeo sponsorship efforts and wants to get involved with committee work. From the feedback she has gotten from friends on the committee it interests her and she feels that it would be an engaging committee to be a part of.
Guitarsoup
AG
MB is one of the most popular and hardest committees to get on
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.