Houston
Sponsored by

HLSR Committee

13,103 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXAG 05
MsC2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it too late to get on one?
Post removed:
by user
MsC2012
AG
I've never been on one, and I'm obviously late to the game. Oops. #newbie
The Wonderer
AG
Depends on which one you're looking at. Some of the larger ones may still be taking body fillers.
MsC2012
AG
I would be open, but I would need a committee I could work nights at.
Post removed:
by user
MsC2012
AG
How would I find this out? Is it still possible to earn a Gold Badge?
MsC2012
AG
Okay I will do that! Thank ya!
TXAG 05
AG
Sasappis said:

MrsC2012 said:

I would be open, but I would need a committee I could work nights at.

The big ones like transportation, entry gates, corral clubs etc usually have night shifts that start at 4 or so. Those are the ones most likely to have openings at this point beside any new committees that have not filled out yet.

Most committees are filled up in the fall, but definitely try Breeders Greeters, Transportation, Rodeo Express or any of the Corral Clubs if you are needing shifts after work.
MsC2012
AG
Thank you! I'm guessing the membership office will give me the names of the people to contact?
TXAG 05
AG
MrsC2012 said:

Thank you! I'm guessing the membership office will give me the names of the people to contact?

Yes. They should.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I am on a sales committee and responsible for adding members. give me your contact info if you are interested.

Quote:

SALES COMMITTEES These committees are charged with raising money, and they sell a
unique product. In order to badge, a committee member must sell at least the minimum
required amount of the committee's product. Examples of sales committees include the Poultry
Auction Committee, where members obtain purchase commitments to ensure the guaranteed
premiums are met for the kids at the auction; the Calf Scramble Donors Committee, where
members are responsible for obtaining and hosting calf scramble donors, etc.
MsC2012
AG
mrsc201224 at gmail
FDT2000
AG
Not sure if you're still looking, but I'm on the Beverage Services committee for Corral Club and I know there are still a few openings on some of the teams. Basically, we deliver the non-alcoholic drinks to everybody (you get to drive a forklift if you want). There is not really any pre-Rodeo stuff that you have to do to earn your badge and we work during the days until about 3:30 so you have your evenings to do whatever you want (go to the show, etc.) after your shift ends.

edit to add: If you or anyone is interested you can just submit a request at the HLSR website
Liquid Wrench
Are shiny cowboy boots a requirement or will old workboots suffice as a volunteer?
Ag_07
AG
Dude...The requirement nowadays is duck billed square toe boots, a rhinestone belt, starched Cinch jeans, and a pearl snap.
FDT2000
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Are shiny cowboy boots a requirement or will old workboots suffice as a volunteer?
For us, work boots are just fine.
David_Puddy
AG
High dollar exotics or GTFO
jphjr
AG
FDT2000 - where on the HLSR website can I do this? I looked but could not find the link. I'm interested if spots are still available.

Thanks.
Liquid Wrench
http://www.rodeohouston.com/Get-Involved/Volunteer
jphjr
AG
Thanks - Appreciate the help.
Ag_07
AG
Sometimes I wonder how the human race ever existed without TexAgs.
Liquid Wrench
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+would+the+human+race+survive+without+texags%3F
MrMiyAggie
AG
FDT2000 said:

Not sure if you're still looking, but I'm on the Beverage Services committee for Corral Club and I know there are still a few openings on some of the teams. Basically, we deliver the non-alcoholic drinks to everybody (you get to drive a forklift if you want). There is not really any pre-Rodeo stuff that you have to do to earn your badge and we work during the days until about 3:30 so you have your evenings to do whatever you want (go to the show, etc.) after your shift ends.

edit to add: If you or anyone is interested you can just submit a request at the HLSR website

Is that the BS committee?
The Wonderer
AG
ChiliBeans said:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+would+the+human+race+survive+without+texags%3F
Who actually goes to google.com first and then types in what they are looking for? I just type what I'm searching for in the address bar and it searches for me.
FDT2000
AG
MrMiyAggie said:

FDT2000 said:

Yep!
FDT2000
AG
MrMiyAggie said:

FDT2000 said:

PM sent
Post removed:
by user
FDT2000
AG
Sasappis said:

How many shifts do you have to work during the rodeo? That truthfully sounds like a great job.
Total of 4 shifts during the Rodeo and 1 set-up day beforehand which is basically just a dry run. There are 10 teams, 5 that handle the stadium and buildings and 5 that handle the carnival side so you basically just work once every 5 days. Days are from 7:30 to 3:30 but we're usually done by around lunch.

It's a pretty sweet gig; I will say the carnival side sometimes got a little busy last year, but they increased team sizes on that side from 10 to 15 so that won't happen this year (probably why there are still a few openings).
Liquid Wrench
Do you use vacation time to work during the days?
FDT2000
AG
I do.
Liquid Wrench
I just reread your previous post, that doesn't sound bad at all.
Remember The Astrodome
AG
Honest question - Why would anyone want to do this? What do you get in return?
The Wonderer
AG
AgOrb said:

Honest question - Why would anyone want to do this? What do you get in return?
I've made some really good friend through my committee and others and really enjoy the Rodeo much more than when I just went to see a show. I spend probably all but maybe three or four days on the grounds from Cookoff through the last show. Plus, providing a service that helps a group provide scholarships and teaches traditions and Texan culture is be benefit for me. This is my first year getting involved with a livestock buying team and I'm excited for that.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.