Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,787,140 Views | 14955 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TheOC16
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Why?

Edit: wrong emoji. Not trying to be sarcastic.

Some people really value the watch staying as close to original condition as possible. The resale value is tied to this as well. If you have an older watch that you never plan on selling and want it to look as "good/fresh" as possible you can definitely send it to Rolex to be serviced and made almost like new.

I see both ways. If it has a really cool patina, or you want it to stay as-is for sentimental reasons, then take it to a third party watch repair shop. If you want a fully restored, looking like new watch, send it to Rolex.
schmendeler
AG
So-Cal Santos?
FTAco07
AG
They replaced my original bezel that had been "modified" with a brand new one that doesn't fit the crystal. Not only did it lose originality, it also looks a bit goofy.
Alan Stanwyck
AG
You are talking about the Rolex service center in Dallas did this? Shocking if true.
FTAco07
AG
Yes. They don't carry vintage parts so the only thing they can do is replace with new. They also won't work on anything that has been "modified" even if it's only cosmetic so in order for them to service a piece they will require you to replace any "modified" parts with new ones.
Alan Stanwyck
AG
Gotcha. I've had an 86 two tone datejust serviced and refurbished there two times since 2017 and it returns to me looking brand new.
Quo Vadis?
Last watch purchase for a while. I went to the mall to watch a movie today and ended up passing by the breitling boutique. My sales lady saw me passing by and called me in saying they had got some new gifts in and had saved one for me.

The gift ended up being a pretty nice Breitling stainless steel water bottle with the new "top time" movement logo.

While I was there I happened to spy the new in-house 44mm avenger in mint with black subdials and b01 movement. I have always had a soft spot for the avenger since a Breitling super avenger was my first "nice" watch back in 2010 when I first got into the watch lifestyle. This one is a in a much more reasonable 44mm, and has a very nice bracelet and microadjust. It is definitely an eye catcher, and I love the soft green that they went with. I also got a 20% discount and only .8% tax, it wasn't very expensive either.

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Quo Vadis? said:

Last watch purchase for a while.

It's ok, you're safe here with us.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
YouBet
AG
Bevel looks beat to hell. I assume that is on purpose.

Not bagging it; just curious.
Quo Vadis?
YouBet said:

Bevel looks beat to hell. I assume that is on purpose.

Not bagging it; just curious.

No its pristine, just bad camera work
BBRex
AG
schmendeler said:

ChemAg15 said:

Why?

Edit: wrong emoji. Not trying to be sarcastic.

Some people really value the watch staying as close to original condition as possible. The resale value is tied to this as well. If you have an older watch that you never plan on selling and want it to look as "good/fresh" as possible you can definitely send it to Rolex to be serviced and made almost like new.

I see both ways. If it has a really cool patina, or you want it to stay as-is for sentimental reasons, then take it to a third party watch repair shop. If you want a fully restored, looking like new watch, send it to Rolex.

I've thought about getting a no-box, no-papers OysterDate in my birth year and then sending it to Rolex to service. I wouldn't be as worried about losing the patina of a watch that didn't have everything with it. The downside would be the possibility that Rolex would say it's been tampered with and not perform the service.
FHKChE07
AG
And I am so much the opposite. There are several "tropical" dial Rolexes that I want. I think that they look so real. I would never send it in to Rolex to be serviced because I would lose a lot of the character of the watch. Much like I would never send my ring in to Balfour because they would remove all of the dings and knocks.
jh0400
AG
FTAC2011 said:

Pelagos 39 is a fun one

I think I've decided that this is probably my next watch.
TheVarian
AG
Same those Black Bays or the FXD have really been catching my eye
Farmer1906
AG
I put one on the other day and the weight of it (lack there of) really threw me off.
Quo Vadis?
Farmer1906 said:

I put one on the other day and the weight of it (lack there of) really threw me off.

Maybe mix a steak in amongst the quinoa every now and again, guy
FTAC2011
AG
Titanium is a lighter metal for sure
nealan
The snowflake is like that. All titanium. It takes some getting used to, but it's incredibly comfortable
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Man I really dig this one that is exclusive to Harrods.

Sea Speed
AG
Amazing watch
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Looks super clean
schmendeler
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Man I really dig this one that is exclusive to Harrods.

Would look great with hunting tweeds
nealan
Does it drive anybody else a little little bit bonkers how those screw pins stick out on that bracelet. Or is that just me?
schmendeler
AG
They are "rivets"
BCO07
AG
FHKChE07 said:

And I am so much the opposite. There are several "tropical" dial Rolexes that I want. I think that they look so real. I would never send it in to Rolex to be serviced because I would lose a lot of the character of the watch. Much like I would never send my ring in to Balfour because they would remove all of the dings and knocks.

I sent mine in to be sized and told them to do nothing other that resize and I came back a bit cleaner but as beat to hell as I remember it
Marauder Blue 6
AG
nealan said:

Does it drive anybody else a little little bit bonkers how those screw pins stick out on that bracelet. Or is that just me?
Yes. I know it's nitpicky but it bugs me too.
RVAg02
AG
I replaced the bracelet on my BB58, because I hate the rivets. Makes it look cheap.
BarNone-Aggie
AG
I have a Breitling Aviator 8 Day & Date up for sale on the classifieds section on TexAgs.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3492538

I have it listed for $3,150, shoot me an offer if you are interested. Located in the Waller area. More pictures on the original listing, can provide more if needed.

Thanks and Gig 'Em.
Mateo84
AG
nealan said:

Welp. So much for wanting that watch. Can't unsee those now
nealan
My bad
TP Ag '87
AG
I have the BB58 and love it. Feels and fits superbly. My old eyes, I guess, are so bad that those rivets are irrelevant to me.
JCA1
AG
Man, I finally get a nice watch and come back here and everyone is crushing it.

But seriously, I never gave any thought to the rivets. After the last few posts, I've now scrutinized them and they aren't nearly as pronounced on mine as that photo. Hopefully, this won't keep me up at night.
schmendeler
AG
They don't bother me at all when seeing them in person.
nealan
I think it's way worse in those super blown up ad pics. IRL they aren't that noticeable.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
It won't bother me at all if I ended up getting that one.
First Page Last Page
Page 425 of 428

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.