Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,752,235 Views | 14850 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by BBRex
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
John Mayer"s Daytona laughs at Katie George's Daytona
Ducks4brkfast
AG
And that double neck Martin acoustic laughs at Mayer's Daytona.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
"...why do guys like you and I know what a duvet is? Is this essential to our survival in the hunter-gatherer sense of the word? No. What are we then?"
YouBet
AG
TheOC16 said:

FHKChE07 said:

Does she really make that much as a sideline reporter to afford a $35k watch? If so, I need to change my occupation.
We literally had this discussion about her affording her watch just a couple weeks ago...
Yes, that was me. I've been wondering if I was having deja vu or if this was a different gal.
AgLA06
AG
I mean yah. That's the entire thread.

We are consumers. We're the byproducts of a lifestyle obsession.
Diggity
AG

schmendeler
AG
This one is a personal favorite of mine, but if you're looking for something different that also has some unique features, Mondaine recently updated their Stop2Go watch. I have the prior generation and enjoy it.

For those of you that haven't heard of it, they are modeled after the Swiss National Railway clocks found at every Swiss rail station. They are centrally controlled in order to ensure the trains all run on time. The second hand makes the full circle in 58 seconds and then waits for the signal from the central time keeper to advance the minute hand to the next minute, where it goes into motion once again.

Mondaine has the license to make watches and clocks based on the railway clock design and they have a watch that replicates the railway clock behavior, called the Stop2Go.

One other unique (i haven't seen it anywhere else) feature is that the back side of the hands are lumed, so in the dark, they have a gentle glow, but the aesthetic of the watch isn't "ruined" by lume on the hands during the day.

https://mondaine.com/products/stop2go-watch-4101b-lbv-2se

AgLA06
AG
Neat.
bthotugigem05
AG
Anthony Farrar of the Timepiece Gentleman was arrested for wire fraud related to his watch resale business

https://www.justice.gov/usao-cdca/pr/founder-beverly-hills-gentlemen-timepieces-consignment-store-charged-conning-victims
TheOC16
AG
Today is an interesting watch day for me.

Today I'm selling the first nice watch I ever purchased, the two-tone Datejust 41 FTAC2011 hooked me up with in 2021.

Some have you have followed my journey as an enthusiast - you know me as the "Fossil Guy". Purchasing a Rolex was a huge leap for me (goes without saying). One of the (many) ways I justified blowing my original budget out of the ocean was the fact that many guys drop several thousand on jewelry for a woman. I didn't know if I ever would get to that point, so I figured I might as well splurge on something for myself. But if I ever did find a special someone who needed some expensive jewelry, I felt I could sell the watch to fund a big purchase.

Well I actually met her shortly after purchasing the watch, and the time has now come (long overdue really). I'm selling the first luxury watch I ever purchased to fund her engagement ring. Though I could have gotten away without having to sell a watch, after taking some time to ponder it, it just felt right. While I loved the watch (two tone Rolex truly is beautiful, and datejust has always been one of my favorite designs), I love when my watches are connected with a memory. Outside of just being my first watch, this watch also represents the single version of myself and the tail end of that time period. It's bittersweet, but the symbolic nature of giving it up for something else feels right at this point.

I'll want to get another two tone at some point soon, maybe another datejust way down the road. But for now I'm looking forward to the new memories to come over the next year and we'll what (if any) other watches they wind up getting connected to!

---

But totally unrelated to the above… I received this in the mail today:

A watch I've coveted for a good while now, and finally found a deal I couldn't pass up. I actually have a professional milestone coming up in a couple months (hopefully!) and so I decided I'd snag this now but save it until that milestone is achieved. So I took it out today to inspect it, but haven't put it on. Going in the safe for a couple months!
Diggity
AG
let's see the watch you're selling
AgLA06
AG
Awesome watch.

That or similar is on my top 5 list for sure.
TheOC16
AG
Diggity said:

let's see the watch you're selling

It is gone.
schmendeler
AG
If you're selling a Rolex to buy an Engagement ring, you're spending too much on the ring.
Diggity
AG
great looking watch for sure
DDub74
Was someone selling the Omega Ultra Deep? Or just posting about it. I really like it and would consider getting one.
DantheAggie
AG
I bought a used breitling watch that needs some repairs done on it. Where should I take it?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
https://www.instagram.com/p/CtjkjhHOav1/?igshid=Y2NkYjk0MDhjYg==
YouBet
AG
62GS?
FTAC2011
AG
DDub74 said:

Was someone selling the Omega Ultra Deep? Or just posting about it. I really like it and would consider getting one.

I can get you a discount on a new one
AgEng06
AG
That was me just posting about it... But you should definitely take FTAC up on his offer. He's the real deal.
TheOC16
AG
Yes, Shunbun
Teddy Perkins
AG
Woah, woah, woah. No rule 1 on the fiance worthy of a DJ sale?
TheOC16
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Woah, woah, woah. No rule 1 on the fiance worthy of a DJ sale?

I'll make you a deal - I'll honor it on the day she takes my last name. As there should be some relevant watch related content on that day too.

(Well, probably not on the day, but shortly after the honeymoon.)
YouBet
AG
I've reached point where I will no longer be asking my wife her opinion on watches I'm considering. Her response to every watch I'm looking at is "it looks like your Rolex".
Terminus Est
YouBet said:

I've reached point where I will no longer be asking my wife her opinion on watches I'm considering. Her response to every watch I'm looking at is "it looks like your Rolex".

Same here,

"Don't you have that one already?"
panag
AG
Go to websites for pre-owned watches? Looking for something sporty under $1,500 to pair with my dressy JLC and DJ.
Terminus Est
panag said:

Go to websites for pre-owned watches? Looking for something sporty under $1,500 to pair with my dressy JLC and DJ.
watchrecon.com; it's an aggregator for all the major watch forums.
AgEng06
AG
panag said:

Take a look at Christopher Ward. You can get something new for that price, and they are very nice watches.

Check out the C60 divers and C63 Sealander.
jh0400
AG
C63 is a good call. I'd also look at an Oris Aquis if a diver would fit the bill.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
My zelos mako green steel is still for sale for $400

Edit: I'm only offering it up because that space is tough, seems like you don't get much more out of a $1500 boutique watch than you get out of a $5-600 one. Then things start getting interesting again at 3k or so (cough...sinn). If it's a beater maybe orient mako, seiko skx007, something in the prospex line?
TP Ag '87
AG
This one?
https://zeloswatches.com/products/mako-v3-300m-ti-antique-green

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Yep except it's steel rather than ti, and doesn't have microadjust

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ooh looks like the rado captain cook is about $1500, those are sick
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Looks like you took some fall family pictures with your watch lol.
First Page Last Page
Page 358 of 425

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.