Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,754,489 Views | 14852 Replies | Last: 59 min ago by jh0400
FTAco07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to go opposite of Silian and say I like the 24 hour time ring. For the mass market, I think having different dial colors would be important rather than just black. I am likely not your target market, but I am typically looking for something with longer power reserve and a bit better than +/- 12 seconds a day variance.

There are quite a few options at similar or cheaper price points with up to 80 hour power reserves and more accurate movements (at least as claimed).

Big picture, I personally think the $945 price point is a hard one that is higher than most people are looking to spend on a watch, but the "basic tool" nature of this piece not something that is special enough to catch the eye of lots of people willing to spend that much money or more.

All of that being said, it's a really cool thing to start a new watch company! Congratulations on the new venture and wishing you guys huge success!
YouBet
AG
I really like it with the striped Nylon strap and I like your vision. Will add this to my list which has now reached 20 watches.

Also, I like the military time as presented and, personally, that's of benefit to me as I work in both standard and military time in my own career.
YouBet
AG
Trek Strategy said:

I appreciate the feedback thus far. I've spent a fair bit of time looking at Hamilton and I like the watches and their approach.

Silian, appreciate the kind words. Pretty soon we'll be adding some images to show "what's in the box" and I'm excited about getting that out there. The watch care videos will be added tomorrow.

Good suggestion about the strap. The decision to let people choose their own strap has been a tough one to pull off for a lot of reasons. We spent so many hours working on the coding needed to get that on shopify that I kind of ignored the images after a while. I'll put that on the list of improvements for September. Thanks again.

This should apply the discount automatically. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll just share the code.

TEXAGS Discount
Thanks for sharing and it does apply automatically while testing it.
Sea Speed
AG
I love the 24 hour time. I use it all day every day. Will have to take a serious look at this watch.
YouBet
AG
Sea Speed said:

I love the 24 hour time. I use it all day every day. Will have to take a serious look at this watch.
Now that I think about it I don't recall seeing too many watches that have this feature in such a readable format.

I might push this to the top of my list.
Silian Rail
Got my order in
SW-14
AG
FTAco07 said:

I'm going to go opposite of Silian and say I like the 24 hour time ring. For the mass market, I think having different dial colors would be important rather than just black. I am likely not your target market, but I am typically looking for something with longer power reserve and a bit better than +/- 12 seconds a day variance.

There are quite a few options at similar or cheaper price points with up to 80 hour power reserves and more accurate movements (at least as claimed).

Big picture, I personally think the $945 price point is a hard one that is higher than most people are looking to spend on a watch, but the "basic tool" nature of this piece not something that is special enough to catch the eye of lots of people willing to spend that much money or more.

All of that being said, it's a really cool thing to start a new watch company! Congratulations on the new venture and wishing you guys huge success!
Agreed with your points on the technical specs. The accuracy and power reserve are a little low for my liking. Definitely agree with a previous poster that said it looks better on the NATO strap. Would you be able to reduce the price point by not including the stainless bracelet? Also, have you considered a titanium case offering?

The dial looks good and clean, and I think black would be the way to go.
schmendeler
AG
Just saw watched this. This is a fun watch. I like the vintage style and size.

Silian Rail
any formex love in here? I placed an order for a pre-order for one of their pieces and I have to say I like what I see. They've got a solid COSC stock automatic movement in the new reef GMT; a Sellita SW330-2 with 56 hour power reserve, but have have devoted a lot of time and effort into some really cool new tech on the watch itself.

All of their bezels have replaceable inserts you can easily swap out yourself and they have a "quick release" strap set-up that allows you to swap between stainless steel, mesh, rubber, leather straps easily, and an easy adjust clasp. Their designs look really quality as well and just unique enough in the crowded ceramic bezeled diver crowd.

This is the one I just picked up

https://formexwatch.com/watches/reef-gmt-42mm-automatic-cosc-300m/

SPF250
AG
Sillian:

Please dial 1-800-Ihaveawatchproblem as soon as possible from the white courtesy phone. No, the WHITE courtesy phone.
AgLA06
AG
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
SPF250
AG
I'm right there with you yahoos.
Farmer1906
AG
Solid pitch and watch.

I think your biggest challenge is there are endless boutique-style new watch brands out there. Without a 150-year history, what really sets yours apart?

I think the R150 is a good choice for a movement. It's reasonably priced and supposed to be reliable, but all it is a substitute for ETA when Swatch stops selling them to everyone. So the movement isn't your differentiation.

It appears you selected a quality sapphire and material (SS) but that alone is not going to sell your watches.

My unexpert opinion is that you need a story to tell or as much as it annoys me, a gimmick to push. Based on your website I would say something along the lines (corny and first thing off the top of my head) The Christian Warriors timepiece. Tough enough for front lines yet refined enough for church Sunday. A portion of every timepiece we sell goes directly to a God-honoring and worthy cause.

And then you find influencers who have large faith-based and/or military following to talk about your watch. Send them a free one to talk about and a code to give their followers.
YouBet
AG
Silian Rail said:

any formex love in here? I placed an order for a pre-order for one of their pieces and I have to say I like what I see. They've got a solid COSC stock automatic movement in the new reef GMT; a Sellita SW330-2 with 56 hour power reserve, but have have devoted a lot of time and effort into some really cool new tech on the watch itself.

All of their bezels have replaceable inserts you can easily swap out yourself and they have a "quick release" strap set-up that allows you to swap between stainless steel, mesh, rubber, leather straps easily, and an easy adjust clasp. Their designs look really quality as well and just unique enough in the crowded ceramic bezeled diver crowd.

This is the one I just picked up

https://formexwatch.com/watches/reef-gmt-42mm-automatic-cosc-300m/

I abhor two tone colored bezels on watches. Can't stand the "Pepsi" Rolex for example. Horrid.

However, I actually like this black and blue look here. It's more subtle and a good combination.
AgLA06
AG
I thought I was the only one who didn't like the two-tone of GMTs.
AggiePride07
AG
Blasphemy!!
FtBendTxAg
AG
that Formex is really nice. Agree with the sentiment on batmans/pepsi, etc being annoying, but this one actually looks pretty cool and more subdued. Id wear it fo sho.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
FTAco07 said:

Thanks for the feedback, all of it.

If I can respond... Pricing was a really tough decision. It's hard for us to have the economies of scale like Hamilton, etc. So our costs are higher, but part of that is that we wanted to give the customer more and go for a wow factor by including the extra Nato band, the tools, the leather roll that is made locally. We are also giving back 5% of revenue to organizations like the International Justice Mission. We're also looking at some homeless organizations and some veterans organizations. In other words, we are very much attaching our story and values to this timepiece and want to connect to customers in a deeper way and let them be a part of that journey, assuming that they care about those things. Not everyone will, and we know that. After we take our baby steps as a company, the story will come to life more through our newsletters and real-world actions. Our approach may not work or resonate with enough people to overcome the slightly higher price, but we'll see.

Either way, you've given me a lot to think about and I appreciate that.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
YouBet said:

Sea Speed said:

Now that I think about it I don't recall seeing too many watches that have this feature in such a readable format.

I might push this to the top of my list.
Awesome, you made my day!
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Silian Rail said:

Got my order in
Thank you Silian.
Trek Strategy - Every Journey Needs a Guide
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Solid pitch and watch.

I think your biggest challenge is there are endless boutique-style new watch brands out there. Without a 150-year history, what really sets yours apart?

I think the R150 is a good choice for a movement. It's reasonably priced and supposed to be reliable, but all it is a substitute for ETA when Swatch stops selling them to everyone. So the movement isn't your differentiation.

It appears you selected a quality sapphire and material (SS) but that alone is not going to sell your watches.

My unexpert opinion is that you need a story to tell or as much as it annoys me, a gimmick to push. Based on your website I would say something along the lines (corny and first thing off the top of my head) The Christian Warriors timepiece. Tough enough for front lines yet refined enough for church Sunday. A portion of every timepiece we sell goes directly to a God-honoring and worthy cause.

And then you find influencers who have large faith-based and/or military following to talk about your watch. Send them a free one to talk about and a code to give their followers.
Farmer, you hit the nail on the head. We have a longer term vision that will require a lot of capital that we're discussing privately.

Purely from a timepiece standpoint, we believe that we are competitive enough (especially when you include the watch roll, tools, and extra strap) to enter the conversation for some buyers and at least get their attention.

I spent a long time thinking about the story and we got lots of council from friends and agencies. I'm an Omega Speedmaster owner myself. Every successful watch has a story and a persona. They also have lots of history, which we don't have. I think this excerpt from our "About" page sums it up well. And in a world that is terrified of being "cancelled" and struggling to make a stand, we're taking a leap of faith in the opposite direction. We're either going to succeed or flame out in not-so-glorious fashion, but we've decided to be truthful and transparent and we believe that will resonate with many people, so that's our story. Is it enough to differentiate us from other watches out there? We'll see.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After decades of professional careers that include banking, the military, consumer packaged goods, electronics manufacturing, and consulting, we've learned that if we have no purpose in what we do that goes beyond self-service, what's the point? We want to live our lives for something more, something greater. Of course, we want the Wasson Watch Co. to be a successful business, but we are motivated by something far greater: Our devotion to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Colossians 3:23-24 says, "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ."

How does professing and applying our faith to our company make a difference? It drives us to not only manufacture excellent watches, but also to run our business in a way that is honoring to God. It impacts the way we treat customers, employees, and vendors. It shapes the way we advertise and to whom we sell. It even affects the way we use our profits. We make most of our decisions through prayer and let God guide our steps.

Wasson Watch Co. pledges to give a portion of its profits to God-honoring organizations that serve others in Christ's name.

We also believe in being transparent about our products and our company. We believe in justice, truth and the God-given value of every individual. We believe that we are being called to be fearless and confident in who we are in Jesus and that the world is thirsty for Truth.

Our aim is that these values and aspirations will bleed through every interaction you have with your Wasson Watch. The packaging; the service; the journal; our partnerships in giving; the lasting value of the watch.

It is our prayer that you'll join us on this journey, become a part of our story, that the watch you wear on your wrist will remind you of these principles and encourage you in YOUR endeavors.
Farmer1906
AG
Don't get me wrong, that is awesome, but you're not going to be able to get everyone to your about page to read it fully.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Don't get me wrong, that is awesome, but you're not going to be able to get everyone to your about page to read it fully.
Boy are you right about that. About page gets less than 1% of views. I think I'll put a link on the shop page that says something like "What makes the Wasson Watch Co. Unique?" with a short blurb to get people interested in reading our story.

Good take!

Travis
TXAGFAN
AG
Trek Strategy said:

Farmer1906 said:

Boy are you right about that. About page gets less than 1% of views. I think I'll put a link on the shop page that says something like "What makes the Wasson Watch Co. Unique?" with a short blurb to get people interested in reading our story.

Good take!

Travis
The best marketing lately for a company like yours IMO is finding a way to hook people in with a tiktok and targeted influencers.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Trek Strategy said:

Farmer1906 said:

Good take!

Travis
The best marketing lately for a company like yours IMO is finding a way to hook people in with a tiktok and targeted influencers.
Yup, I have a share-a-sale account built out already and waiting for inventory to arrive next week to turn it on.

We also have a targeted list of influencers that we will reach out to directly and affiliate sites that we'll do the same.
Quad Dog
AG
I just skimmed your about page. And I'm still left with two big questions. Where did the name come from? and Why the castle logo?

I think you could also play up the Texas influence. When I was looking for my last watch I specifically looked at Texas Microbrands so I could feel like I was supporting something local. The few I found (Tokr, Dufrane, Jack Mason) didn't really have a watch that I loved. Had I seen yours last year I probably would have bought it.
More than once on this page you've played up the Texas leather that's included, but I don't see that on your site at all. It's in none of the pictures. If the leather thing is a big deal it should be in the background of every picture.

I'm not really a Christian, but I wasn't really understanding the connection between Christianity and your watch. Honestly, it felt like you were quoting the Bible to try and get Christians to buy your watch. But I tend to be a cynic.
schmendeler
AG
Very interesting. The "crown guard" at nine o'clock is very Patek reminiscent. Which is a new addition for them, i think. I like their carbon case designs but Christopher ward has some that are similar at a better price point.
ChemAg15
AG
Finally able to properly contribute to this thread. I'd like to thank everyone on here for the inspiration!

Farmer1906
AG
The Tiffany's blue trend continues.

Silian Rail
I love everything glashutte, wearing my senator cosmpolite today, love that Tiffany blue one, not excited about the salmon

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The Tiffany's blue trend continues.

Pretty slick but limited to 100 pieces worldwide.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
AgEng06
AG
Congrats!
TheOC16
AG
Awesome man! Is this your first nice watch? That's going to be a great wear in lots of environments. (The first few scratches are really going to hurt you, but after a while they'll become part of the story.)
ChemAg15
AG
TheOC16 said:

Awesome man! Is this your first nice watch? That's going to be a great wear in lots of environments. (The first few scratches are really going to hurt you, but after a while they'll become part of the story.)

This is my first high end watch. I've wanted a moon watch for quite some time and I finally decided to pull the trigger since I'm currently in Europe and I can take advantage of the exchange rate. They did not have the sapphire sandwich available for purchase on bracelet but they were able to take a bracelet off a hesalite model. I ended up purchasing a sapphire model with the black leather band and they threw in the bracelet for free. This throws the reference number off but I don't mind. As you said, it's part of the story now. I did learn that there is a difference between the bracelets of the sapphire and hesalite models. The sapphire model bracelet has some polished steel on it whereas the bracelet on the hesalite model is fully brushed steel. Fortunately I prefer the look of brushed steel and the brushed steel will wear better. The first scratches will be painful but I'm preparing myself for the watch to be well loved with the sapphire crystal face and fully brushed steel bracelet.
AgEng06
AG
I'm glad you explained that. I was wondering why you had the sapphire caseback but the hesalite bracelet.
First Page Last Page
Page 212 of 425

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.