Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,459,621 Views | 13504 Replies | Last: 20 sec ago by Marauder Blue 6
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. That's interesting.

These are the GMT's that I've been looking at.

https://usd.farer.com/collections/gmt-bezel#

BBRex
AG
That GMT is nice, and GMTs are all the rage right now, but for around the same price I would rather have the world timer. You give up a little on the water resistance, though.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I like those world timers as well. I visited their office/showroom in London a few years ago. I went wanting to see/try on a certain GMT model and walked away needing to have a Chrono called Cobb. I didn't buy it when I was there because it would have beat me back to Houston and I figured I'd order it when I got back, I never got around to it and now it's discontinued.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/farercobb/?hl=en
schmendeler
AG
What are some good retailers to visit in Switzerland? Are there any epic window shopping/ogling up close places in Geneva or Zurich that a watch lover should visit?

It appears that Zenith has a public tour, as does IWC. The Zenith one is three hours long!
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
The Endurance is a really understated elegant watch. I wish it wasn't sure out.

The GMT is really nice too though.
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
Ha! PP museum.
schmendeler
AG
To be serious, I didn't know there was one. I'm very interested.
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
i've seen the one in Bern. (baby eater) is that the one you saw?
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
Christopher Ward debuted three new watches today. they are their version of a Rolex Explorer-type watch. one is an Explorer II homage with a 24 bezel and GMT hand. one is a titanium 3-hander with a chronometer grade movement and a recessed crown. and the last is a budget automatic model. i think they are good looking, but i am not filled with an immediate desire to obtain one. what do you folks think?

https://www.christopherward.com/int/loupe-magazine/article?cid=c63-sealander
BBRex
AG
I have to say Christopher Ward has been a brand that I never could get on board with, but that base model Sealander on the bracelet is very nice.
Fall92
AG
Their aviator line with the brown bands looked better IMO. Great watches though.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
SW-14
AG
The one in the middle is pretty sharp looking. The retractable crown is interesting too, wonder how easy it is to pull it out. Wish they had some better styling on the "Christopher Ward" text on the dial. Looks like they just went with Arial font and it kind of cheapens the look of the watch IMO.

Fall92
AG
If anyone's interested in a CW try using code 125LOUPE21 to save $125 on any watch over $625.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Diggity
AG
seems like something that will eventually get stuck
schmendeler
AG
SW-14 said:

The one in the middle is pretty sharp looking. The retractable crown is interesting too, wonder how easy it is to pull it out. Wish they had some better styling on the "Christopher Ward" text on the dial. Looks like they just went with Arial font and it kind of cheapens the look of the watch IMO.

i actually like the plain text font. seems simple and modern to me.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I would probably be into CWs if my name was Christopher Ward. But it's not so I've never been real excited about paying to hand some dudes name on my wrist.

I bet that recessed crown is open enough in the back to get a fingernail under. I have an old seiko like that
schmendeler
AG
NRD09 said:

I would probably be into CWs if my name was Christopher Ward. But it's not so I've never been real excited about paying to hand some dudes name on my wrist.

I bet that recessed crown is open enough in the back to get a fingernail under. I have an old seiko like that
is your last name Patek or Philippe? how would you feel about having two dudes' names on your wrist?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Lol, crossed my mind when i was typing that. But i don't have a Patek either!
BBRex
AG
I've never lived in Glashutte, but I'd love a Glashutte Original Seventies Panorama Date.

schmendeler
AG
i for one would love a patek philippe, or a cartier, or a jaeger-lecoultre, or an A. Lange & Sohne, or Breguet, or vacheron constantin, or breitling. about the only one i'd never purchase would be a Richard Mille.

Rolex and omega and zenith and longines and seiko are cool. but kind of limiting, no?
GaddafiHalp
man, I hope you don't drive a Diesel.
Farmer1906
AG
schmendeler said:

i for one would love a patek philippe, or a cartier, or a jaeger-lecoultre, or an A. Lange & Sohne, or Breguet, or vacheron constantin, or breitling. about the only one i'd never purchase would be a Richard Mille.

Rolex and omega and zenith and longines and seiko are cool. but kind of limiting, no?
Can confirm. JLC's are dope.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
GaddafiHalp said:

man, I hope you don't drive a Diesel.

I recently learned that cadillac was named for the dude who founded Detroit. Always thought it was an Indian tribe
BBRex
AG
Talked to the saleswoman while I got a link added to my Tudor today. The Rolex counter was empty except for a Cellini and a couple of women's watches. I figured they were hiding some in the back. Nope, that's all they had. She said they could order Datejust and President, but that was it, and it was a month-plus wait for those. Anything else they got was whatever Rolex felt like sending, and it sold almost right away. You could get on a waiting list, but there were no promises on when you'd get what you wanted.

She also said that Rolex no longer shipped parts. Everything had to go to Rolex, and if they deemed anything on your watch not a genuine Rolex part, they wouldn't work on your watch. Interesting conversation.
Daytona22
AG
Same as the AD that I've talked to. Nothing hits the showroom floor. No clue what they're getting and when they will get it. When you get the call you have to be ready to pull the trigger as it's sold the day it gets there.

They had a platinum Daytona for a few weeks but most everything is the DateJust in the display case.
BBRex
AG
Another interesting thing about parts is that apparently replacement dials and bezels aren't available for swap. You used to be able to, say, buy a watch with the regular baton markers, then buy a genuine Rolex replacement dial with diamonds on it later and swap them out. I guess Rolex is saying now that if you want a dial with diamonds, it's time to buy a new watch.
tandy miller
AG
BBRex said:

Talked to the saleswoman while I got a link added to my Tudor today. The Rolex counter was empty except for a Cellini and a couple of women's watches. I figured they were hiding some in the back. Nope, that's all they had. She said they could order Datejust and President, but that was it, and it was a month-plus wait for those. Anything else they got was whatever Rolex felt like sending, and it sold almost right away. You could get on a waiting list, but there were no promises on when you'd get what you wanted.

She also said that Rolex no longer shipped parts. Everything had to go to Rolex, and if they deemed anything on your watch not a genuine Rolex part, they wouldn't work on your watch. Interesting conversation.

Was this at Thomas markle on I-10? That's literally the only rolexes they had when I bought my Tudor
FJB
BBRex
AG
Deutsch Fine Jewelry on Westheimer. She said the boutique at the Galleria was in the same shape.

I asked about whether they could order Oyster Perpetual, since it's the entry level, and she said no. That surprised me, too.
Diggity
AG
I had heard all the stainless were crazy popular now.
BBRex
AG
That's why I started talking to her about it. I figured they were out of stainless, but for some reason didn't want a bunch of gold on display and were keeping it in the back. I couldn't imagine that they didn't have anything. Turns out they really didn't.
TarponChaser
So I'm definitely not a watch guy like all y'all on here, I have my Seamaster and that's good enough for me. But, I keep seeing ads for a company called "Spinnaker" pop up. They look nice but appear to be made in Hong Kong and I was wondering how they stack up as maybe a nicer fashion watch. Most of their stuff seems to be in the $300-$400 range so definitely not high end but any clue how they compare to something like a Citizen?

I was thinking for an occasional choice when the big dive watch might look out of place.
schmendeler
AG
they are a micro-brand that uses seiko movements. i think for that category, they are good. but that category is huge.
First Page Last Page
Page 96 of 386

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.